Man Utd - stock price

Liam147

On Probation
Did what Liam? I got his point on the Man Utd, saw his white text and knew he was taking the piss, but he still doesn't know which variation of the word "their, there, they're" to use though, and tonight I'm a member of the grammar police. Ok?

Or do you think he used the wrong word deliberately?
So you did fall for it? I do believe he did it on purpose.
Have to agree with you their.
Whoaa..

Andy_Cole

Bump.

A bit of a spike after Moyes' sacking (wish I put money, knew that would happen!), I'm thinking another spike after we announce the new shirt deal. Very tempted to invest...

BorisontheRock

Wasn't the spike created by the demand from that fund buying a significant share of United stock, more so than Moyes going, shirt deals etc. the valuation looks at the high end for me. We're coming off the back of unprecedented revenue growth and performance (on the pitch) and in business terms we have lost our CFO and CEO with no real succession plan.

Might want to invest down the bookies instead mr cole, more likely to pick up a decent return than on the utd stock right now.

Andy_Cole

Wasn't the spike created by the demand from that fund buying a significant share of United stock, more so than Moyes going, shirt deals etc. the valuation looks at the high end for me. We're coming off the back of unprecedented revenue growth and performance (on the pitch) and in business terms we have lost our CFO and CEO with no real succession plan.

Might want to invest down the bookies instead mr cole, more likely to pick up a decent return than on the utd stock right now.
Ah fair cheers pal.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Man Utd is the name listed on the stock exchange, this is what the OP is referring to.
It was a joke, see the white text. Everybody used to have a hard on over the Man Utd / Munich references, so I think that's what I was referencing.

Plugsy

The scoreboards on TV often shorted us to MNU or Man Utd or Man Utd, are people really saying they see this and ask "Well wtf does that mean?"

Rado_N

Yaaas Broncos!
The scoreboards on TV often shorted us to MNU or Man Utd or Man Utd, are people really saying they see this and ask "Well wtf does that mean?"
No, some people are just being daft.

@redtilldead123 deleting the white text from that post is the weirdest thing in this thread though.

Snow

Somewhere down the lane, a licky boom boom down
Bump.

A bit of a spike after Moyes' sacking (wish I put money, knew that would happen!), I'm thinking another spike after we announce the new shirt deal. Very tempted to invest...
Won't it just go down in a few months because we aren't playing in Europe?

Sied

I..erm..love U2, baby?
Won't it just go down in a few months because we aren't playing in Europe?
That should already be priced in as everyone knows we haven't qualified for CL. Although it probably will go down for other reasons

Shrek

FergiesRedNose
Europe is small change don't you know.

Just think of all the money spinning friendly matches we can have. No problem jetting off to the States for mid week money spinners ( sorry matches)
We're in the money m8

Snow

Somewhere down the lane, a licky boom boom down
That should already be priced in as everyone knows we haven't qualified for CL. Although it probably will go down for other reasons
Doesn't always work like that. When the quarterly shows a lesser income then the stock will drop a bit.

Plugsy

Our match vs Madrid in US is confirmed at 109,000 sell-out, so who knows?

Tickets are exchanging hands for over $100 and we've three other games on that tour. If all shows sell out that's over 361,000 people. Even with ticket prices having to be divided with opponents we could still make a good £20m out of the tour

KGBhoy

Is there another thread on this? Our stock's down 6% today. Any ideas what's going on?

Sied

I..erm..love U2, baby?
Results of the financial year were published.

Basically, people found out how much Moyes reign of terror cost us.
I'm surprised that wasn't already priced in. Was it a lot more than had already been widely reported?

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
Is there another thread on this? Our stock's down 6% today. Any ideas what's going on?
Results of the financial year were published.

Basically, people found out how much Moyes reign of terror cost us.
Also probably related to the fact we spent £200m on players and probably another £250m on their wages over the course of their contracts and are expected to commit a serious amount again in the next couple of windows.

Investors aren't sports fans, they look at expenditures of £450m+ as being a bad thing. A very bad thing.

Sied

I..erm..love U2, baby?
Also probably related to the fact we spent £200m on players and probably another £250m on their wages over the course of their contracts and are expected to commit a serious amount again in the next couple of windows.

Investors aren't sports fans, they look at expenditures of £450m+ as being a bad thing. A very bad thing.
Only if they feel we overpaid imo.

It's like being a stock holder in a company that is losing market share. If the company makes no effort to regain market share, sales, etc. then I'd be more worried as a share holder than if management invested heavily to improve performance.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
Only if they feel we overpaid imo.

It's like being a stock holder in a company that is losing market share. If the company makes no effort to regain market share, sales, etc. then I'd be more worried as a share holder than if management invested heavily to improve performance.
Nope. That isn't how it works.

They want to invest in a company that brings in lots of money and has reasonable expenditure. Look at it over the course of 10 years and it might be reasonable in relative terms however having expenditure of nearly 25% of the company's actual worth in the space of 1 year is no reasonable in any way shape or form. There are very few companies on the NYSE who would actually do that. It's seen as high risk business and investors shy away from high risk business.

You're still looking at it from a sporting perspective and not a stock perspective how investors look at it. With expenses like this, when do you think the club will even start to think about paying out dividends?

Sied

I..erm..love U2, baby?

They want to invest in a company that brings in lots of money and has reasonable expenditure. Look at it over the course of 10 years and it might be reasonable in relative terms however having expenditure of nearly 25% of the company's actual worth in the space of 1 year is no reasonable in any way shape or form. There are very few companies on the NYSE who would actually do that. It's seen as high risk business and investors shy away from high risk business.

You're still looking at it from a sporting perspective and not a stock perspective how investors look at it. With expenses like this, when do you think the club will even start to think about paying out dividends?
Considering our relative lack of expenditure over the past 10 years (following your example) long term investors may see this as reasonable though. This isn't a normal business and so expenditure isn't as simple to predict as it may be with your average NYSE company. That said, obviously not all investors follow the same investment strategies and those that are trying to make a quick buck, or generally have a more short term outlook, may well jump ship for the reasons you mention.

I still doubt this has any relevance in today's drop though, because the markets thoughts about our transfer activity should have been priced in by now. Actually looking into it, as far as I can tell nothing has officially happened today, but the fourth quarter and fiscal 2014 full year results are out Wednesday. I suspect the drop is in anticipation of worse than expected results, or perhaps even some sort of leak. I've heard that sort of thing can happen amongst the big players first. Like large fund managers in the city getting an advanced tip off. We'll know for sure on Wednesday I guess.

P.S. United don't pay any dividend and have no plans to that I know of. A lot of companies don't. It's not necessarily a bad thing if they can offer reasonable capital gain.

daniel9988

Hi, I'm quite new to reading and analysing Financial Statements (Just started University a few weeks ago). But may I ask how our squad having expenditure of nearly 25% of the company's actual worth not reasonable? Our Operating expenses are about 269.422m while our Revenue is at 336.943m, and profit for the 9 month period is at 29.661m. From what I understand, don't manufacturing firms operate similarly? For example, one of the largest plastic moulding firms in the world, Foxconn's expenses are about 20-30% of their firm's actual worth, which is in the hundreds of billions of dollars in terms of expenses. But their revenue exceeds it, and I would think that as an investor, Foxconn would be a relatively safe firm to invest in.

And from what I have read, many stockholders take priority in looking a firm's cash flows rather than the income/balance sheets. At 34.33m worth of available cash flows for the firm, I would think that our team is in a relatively healthy position? Isn't it good to note that our cash flows aren't too high, nor is it too low for a firm of United's size? (Not losing the opportunity cost of investing or lack of "rainy-day" funds that the fund may need to use in emergency situations)

That's just my first impression from what I currently know about Financial Statements and how I would personally assess a firm. Of course, there are major gaps in my knowledge, but United doesn't really sound like a high-risk investment to me.

KGBhoy

Us spending that much is not news. It's been one week since last transfer. Most likely has to do with the financials being released - didn't see that on Google finance.

KGBhoy

Apparently we are releasing the results on the 10th, so that's not it either.

Sied

I..erm..love U2, baby?
Hi, I'm quite new to reading and analysing Financial Statements (Just started University a few weeks ago). But may I ask how our squad having expenditure of nearly 25% of the company's actual worth not reasonable? Our Operating expenses are about 269.422m while our Revenue is at 336.943m, and profit for the 9 month period is at 29.661m. From what I understand, don't manufacturing firms operate similarly? For example, one of the largest plastic moulding firms in the world, Foxconn's expenses are about 20-30% of their firm's actual worth, which is in the hundreds of billions of dollars in terms of expenses. But their revenue exceeds it, and I would think that as an investor, Foxconn would be a relatively safe firm to invest in.

And from what I have read, many stockholders take priority in looking a firm's cash flows rather than the income/balance sheets. At 34.33m worth of available cash flows for the firm, I would think that our team is in a relatively healthy position? Isn't it good to note that our cash flows aren't too high, nor is it too low for a firm of United's size? (Not losing the opportunity cost of investing or lack of "rainy-day" funds that the fund may need to use in emergency situations)

That's just my first impression from what I currently know about Financial Statements and how I would personally assess a firm. Of course, there are major gaps in my knowledge, but United doesn't really sound like a high-risk investment to me.
Coincidently I was just reading a fresh article from a fund I'm invested in. It quotes Warren Buffet and jumped to mind when I read the bolded part of your post:
In his 1979 letter to shareholders, Mr Buffett stated: “The primary test of managerial economic performance is the achievement of a high earnings rate on equity capital employed (without undue leverage, accounting gimmickry, etc) and not the achievement of consistent gains in earnings per share.”
Every investor has their own investment strategy and priorities though of course. I doubt your average investor is interested in sports clubs purely for financial reasons, as there must be better options elsewhere.
Perhaps you can't apply Buffett's quote to a football club because the 'high earnings rate on equity capital employed' is so uncertain based on how these players who we've paid vast amounts for will perform. In the blink of an eye an injury can cause millions of pounds worth of wages to go down the pan, which makes this all a bit meaningless without the benefit of hindsight.