Man Utd updated schedule - 4 games in 8 days | Roma, Villa, Leicester, Liverpool

alexthelion

It's unfortunate but it had to happen. Green and Gold scarves aren't going to cut the mustard. Serious, disruptive action is needed to spark meaningful dialogue and change. Nothing worth doing is ever easy.

There's a lot of United fans that need to see the bigger picture, here. Well done to @diarm and @Nou_Camp99 (and others) for having the patience to explain how important this is. I'll likely be at Old Trafford this Sunday for another round of protests.
What is the bigger picture?

Please explain for thiose of us who disagree with the methods being used or proposed?

@diarm and @Nou_Camp99 are imo two of the worst, not the best. Neither has a clear goal except Glazers Out and sod the consequences. Unfortunately, there are many more just like that.

Raveneye

Bringing one game forward a few days wouldn't overly mess up training for West Brom and Liverpool. All I see as unfair is the scheduling United have in front of them now.

You also have to take into account that the police seemed unprepared by the crowd that turned up to Old Trafford on Sunday even though it was well flagged in advance.

Was the official line given yet as to why that match wasn't played at 7 or 8pm that evening? By then things was very much under control and I'm sure both Liverpool and United players would have preferred the delayed kick off time than calling it off.
Others have already answered your post adequately as to why rescheduling other teams would be unfair when we're the ones who created the scheduling problem. It doesn't matter whether it was the owners who provoked it or the fans who broke through into the stadium or what have you. A footballing body can't blame unprepared police for fans deciding to storm the pitch. If clubs want to compete in the Premier League they need to put on their big boy pants and make sure their stadiums are ready for home games. This wasn't some random terrorist attack. The club is in turmoil through its own actions and that turmoil has disrupted the scheduling for a lot of teams and associated businesses.

Yes this fixture is unfair on the players, who did nothing to deserve this. But the players are art of the club, just as the fans are and, like it or not, just as the current owners are. Even a cancerous tumor is part of your body until it's cut out. Footballing authorities aren't in the business of parsing out various internal factions within each club's culture.

If fans are so riled up that they storm

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
Didn't realise the EL final is 3 days after we play Wolves on the final PL day, send the kids to that one :lol:

Eternitiy

We'll have a few players inevitably suffer a few injuries now due to the fatigue of successive matches. Very angry that this match had to be postponed.

diarm

It's unfortunate but it had to happen. Green and Gold scarves aren't going to cut the mustard. Serious, disruptive action is needed to spark meaningful dialogue and change. Nothing worth doing is ever easy.

There's a lot of United fans that need to see the bigger picture, here. Well done to @diarm and @Nou_Camp99 (and others) for having the patience to explain how important this is. I'll likely be at Old Trafford this Sunday for another round of protests.
Fair play to you bud. Wish I could be there beside you.

MrBest

Beat Villa and Leicester, we secure 4th. Hopefully we see more of Amad, DVB, Tuanzabe and a few other youngsters. I don't know who is ready but I'd love to see many players rested for the final, a full week off.

suheilsworld

Quick subs and closing out the game against Roma.
Make winning against Villa the highest priority with a strong squad.
Mix of youngsters for Leicester and pool game.

sglowrider

Thinks the caf is 'wokeish'.
Why should fans who have an opposing view have to put up with those points? Have you actually considered that some of us support the non-violent protest against SL but are very wary about any possible new owner? Why anyone in their right mind would want to cause harm to the club is beyond me, I find that very disrespectful of the millions of fans of United.
Becoz its not about United but all about them -- self-harm. They have poor coping mechanisms or skills and/or difficulties managing emotions so they latch on to the hatred towards the Glazer. Reducing stress and its some form of relief.
Some may feel its a form of control -- especially with remote ownership, they may feel impotent so violence/anger is a way of control over their life's situation.

Paolo Di Canio

"we have to realise it's a doggy dog market"
Beat Villa and Leicester, we secure 4th. Hopefully we see more of Amad, DVB, Tuanzabe and a few other youngsters. I don't know who is ready but I'd love to see many players rested for the final, a full week off.
Table you looking at?

diarm

Becoz its not about United but all about them -- self-harm. They have poor coping mechanisms or skills and/or difficulties managing emotions so they latch on to the hatred towards the Glazer. Reducing stress and its some form of relief.
Some may feel its a form of control -- especially with remote ownership, they may feel impotent so violence/anger is a way of control over their life's situation.
Hark at Poundland Dr. Phil over here :lol:

I swear to God, if some of you clowns were made of chocolate you'd eat yourselves.

smi11ie

Not a philogynist
Supports
Rangers
5th place are on 58 points. The maximum they can get is 70 points. Utd are on 67 points. Utd only need a win and a draw to secure top 4.

Dante

Average bang
The priority should be Leicester. Win that game and we only need another 3 points from four games (Villa, Liverpool, Fulham and Wolves) to secure second place.

I'd sack off the Villa game and pick anyone fit enough against Liverpool.

6 May - Roma (A)
7 May
8 May
9 May - Villa (A)
10 May
11 May - Leicester (H)
12 May
13 May - Liverpool (H)
14 May
15 May
16 May
17 May
18 May - Fulham (H)
19 May
20 May
21 May
22 May
23 May - Wolves (A)
24 May
25 May
26 May - EL final (N)

norm87cro

To be frank it's not a big deal giving we already secured 2nd or 3th with no chance of being champions and the EL final spot. We can certainly rotate

DULLAGHAN

It will be good if West Ham can sneak into that 4th place position before Chelsea’s final against city, then Chelsea will have to give it everything to be in champions league next season.
I'd hope they'd be giving everything to win this year's, not to enter next year's.

Tom Cato

Godt nyttår!
Damn Leicester and Liverpool 48 hours apart will be no joke. That whole run looks horrific for fatigue. Concerning with (hopefully) a final on the horizon. Need second place wrapped up ASAP.
Well we could have done that with a win against Liverpool.

Now 2nd position is in actual jeopardy because of the real risk of fatigue heading into these games.

norm87cro

Well we could have done that with a win against Liverpool.

Now 2nd position is in actual jeopardy because of the real risk of fatigue heading into these games.
Guys we are not the ones chasing them. Given what I said earlier we can set up both games on the counter and if we draw both of those games we are surley 2nd. The only game where we will need to attack is the Villa one.

Nou_Camp99

what would Souness do?
What bigger picture? Destroy/harm the club to remove owners but with no guarantee their replacement(s) will be any better, probably turn out to be even worse.
How can we possibly get worse? The club has spent 1.5bn in 15 years on bank payments and dividends. And the debt is still huge meaning these payments will be staying for good.

The Glazers are the worst owners out of any major club in Europe.

Nou_Camp99

what would Souness do?
So 6 games in the 20 days before the Arsenal game (assuming we don’t spectacularly blow the game tomorrow of course) - that is crazy, but TBF looking at their fixtures Arsenal have 5 in that time.

We have a much harder last game of the season than them, but hopefully we’ll have top four secure by then, though that is less likely given the demands on the players by the extra game.

Still so much football for the players in such a time-frame given the season they’ve had already :(
We can secure top 4 this weekend. What on earth are you on about?

makes new threads with tweets in the OP
I am genuinely surprised that some posters are worrying about second place. Honestly, once we get three more points (four to be absolutely certain) the league loses all meaning. City will be champions so whatever.

As long as we don't finish fifth we'll be playing Champions League. Get the four points and then focus everything on the Europa League. If we were actually chasing something this fixture congestion would be a worry.

As long as Champions League is secured, this time next year the only people who will care if we don't finish second are Jose Mourinho and Duncan Castles.

Nero

I'd rather beat Liverpool than Leicester if that was a choice.

P-Nut

fan of well-known French footballer Fabinho
Beat Villa and we can play the kids vs Leicester before going full strength against Liverpool with a decent rest, hopefully pushing them further from the top 4.

Ole90+3

Beat Villa and we can play the kids vs Leicester before going full strength against Liverpool with a decent rest, hopefully pushing them further from the top 4.
Play the kids? You must be joking. It's Ole we're talking about here. He'll probably play the same starting line up all 4 games

sglowrider

Thinks the caf is 'wokeish'.
I am genuinely surprised that some posters are worrying about second place. Honestly, once we get three more points (four to be absolutely certain) the league loses all meaning. City will be champions so whatever.

As long as we don't finish fifth we'll be playing Champions League. Get the four points and then focus everything on the Europa League. If we were actually chasing something this fixture congestion would be a worry.

As long as Champions League is secured, this time next year the only people who will care if we don't finish second are Jose Mourinho and Duncan Castles.
Its called optics and progression. 3rd last season and 2nd this season instead of just scraping by if we landed up in 4th.

Nobody will remember in the summer that it was an own goal with the breaking-in of OT and the breaching of the Covid protocols that caused the postponement -- that led to our key matches being so severely cramped up.

I also doubt for a second the Ole Outter will be yelling Ole Out!! with an asterisk to their argument about the lack of progression from the previous season.

clarkydaz

Go buy the lastest 3 united kits to piss us all off :lol:

P-Nut

fan of well-known French footballer Fabinho
Play the kids? You must be joking. It's Ole we're talking about here. He'll probably play the same starting line up all 4 games
He'll rotate for sure, but nowhere near the amount he should do, as he'll cite integrity of the competition no doubt.

Certain players should be nowhere near that Lecister game, mainly Bruno, Rashford, Cavani. And then all the rotation options should start with Matic, Telles, James, DvB, Tuanzabe etc so he could still play a decent side.

Martial
James DvB Amad
Matic McTominay
Telles Bailly Tuanzabe Williams
Henderson

Wouldn't expect a win, but don't think we'd come out of that too badly.

Highfather_24

Exactly. A person can have disparate thoughts & emotions about the same event.
Yep, lot of victim blaming and FA bootlicking going on in this thread.

Ehh, we have a big squad, we will manage. And, FA did a terible job with the scheduling. They are the sole ones responsible for this, not fans. All these things can be true at once.

Robbo*

although I think 4th wouldn’t be good enough if Arsenal won Europa and Chelsea won the CL, with both of them finishing outside the top 4. Hopefully it doesn’t get to that for a number of reasons.

TMDaines

Fun sponge.
Some of the hysterics on here and Reddit at this scheduling are a little bemusing. We’re in an era where the elite male tennis players can play gruelling five-set matches every other day, but it is inconceivable that footballers might be able to make it onto the field with a day’s less rest.

I’m not for a minute arguing it is ideal, but I’m not convinced United are massively handicapped here. It is as you were at the betting exchanges: United decent favourites at Villa, small favourites hosting Leicester and small underdogs hosting Liverpool. We were quite unlikely to win all three of these league games even scheduled a week apart, and may well have picked up an injury or two anyway.

I think there will be less rotation than people expect in the starting XIs, but players being more aggressively subbed off to spread their contribution over multiple games. I expect Maguire and AWB to play every league minute, even if they start tomorrow, and I expect Shaw, and Bruno to do the bulk of them. The goalkeeper situation will be less about fitness, but Henderson will be fine to play all three league games too. The likes of Donny, Matic, Telles and Bailly may get one start, but I wouldn’t expect to see them too much more. They will be hauled off if United aren’t on top anyway.

RkkMan

We need 3 points to mathematically secure top 4 and 6 points to mathematically secure 2nd place.
Ole needs to rotate heavily today, go all out vs Villa and Leicester to secure 2nd as early as possible then play the kids/squad players in our remaining games. Dropping 2/3 points to Liverpool means little in the long run if we secure 2nd place and keep our best players fresh for a European Cup Final we should be winning.

Reditus

Lineup Prediction League Winner 2021-22
Yep, lot of victim blaming and FA bootlicking going on in this thread.

Ehh, we have a big squad, we will manage. And, FA did a terible job with the scheduling. They are the sole ones responsible for this, not fans. All these things can be true at once.

All things can be true at once. I understand the protests and I understand why the game had to be sqeezed in where it is. Nobody yet has come up with a better time to fit the game in. And forcing Liverpool to move another of thier fixtures isnt a solution.