Man Utd updated schedule - 4 games in 8 days | Roma, Villa, Leicester, Liverpool

GazTheLegend

Does not make it remotely ok. Beyond stupid.
Agreed.

They can justify it all they want. It's ridiculous to punish the players. And frankly, sort of makes a super League that bit less onerous a prospect;. The FA and Premier League have ALWAYS been disproportionate with their punishments, maybe the devil you know doesn't care about you at all.

P-Nut

fan of well-known French footballer Fabinho
I have to MASSIVELY disagree here. Anything below 2nd is a failure. We need to show we've made progress in ALL areas which includes the league. 2nd is an improvement on last season's finish. 3rd/4th is not an improvement on last season and we need to focus on ourselves more than our rivals below us
We've improved given we have gained more points than last season, and the only way we drop below second is resting players to win a trophy. Absolutely zero prizes for 2nd to 4th. Would you go full strength against Wolves if we needed the 3 points to make 2nd?

hubbuh

He wont make many changes tonight. 4 goals looks like a massive margin, and it is, but take too many chances are give them a couple of goals and all of a sudden we have a nervy tie on our hands. Its not worth the risk.
Au contraire. After Roma we have 3 games in 6 days (and two of them are very big games in Liverpool and Leicester). If there's ever a time to utilise an expensive, deep squad it is now. This is the exact reason why teams like ours build strong squads, and why literally every fan wants good options from the bench. As others have said, a blended side of squad options and first teams who can be subbed off after 45 is absolutely adequate. Do a professional job, nobody essential over exerts themselves for what is essentially a dead rubber game, get to the final and move on to the weekend hunky-dory.

Sparky_Hughes

I am Shitbeard.
Suck it up. It was necessary, and remains necessary at the next home game, and the next one, and the next one. 3 more points and top 4 is guaranteed. We need to keep the momentum going and the cause in the headlines.

duffer

Sensible and not a complete jerk like most oppo's
Scout
You can easily rest about 8 players tonight and then the other 3 against Villa on Sunday with no issues at all. It's not THAT bad because your fantastic 1st leg result made tonight a dead rubber.

Also, let's be honest, the game Vs Liverpool ain't happening on that date, is it.

Redlyn

I hope Ole can properly navigate this fixture list though adequate rotation. The fact we played full strength in one dead rubber EL game (forget which) makes me concerned.

Bilbo

TeaBaggins
Au contraire. After Roma we have 3 games in 6 days (and two of them are very big games in Liverpool and Leicester). If there's ever a time to utilise an expensive, deep squad it is now. This is the exact reason why teams like ours build strong squads, and why literally every fan wants good options from the bench. As others have said, a blended side of squad options and first teams who can be subbed off after 45 is absolutely adequate. Do a professional job, nobody essential over exerts themselves for what is essentially a dead rubber game, get to the final and move on to the weekend hunky-dory.
I agree, but I don't think that this game is the one we should be rotating for. If we get to half time with a four goal lead intact then I'd make multiple changes, but I just wouldn't want to find us in a situation where we concede a couple and find ourselves with a problem to solve. I'm sure he'll make a couple of changes but it will still look very much like a first XI. Winning this trophy is our key objective now.

hubbuh

I agree, but I don't think that this game is the one we should be rotating for. If we get to half time with a four goal lead intact then I'd make multiple changes, but I just wouldn't want to find us in a situation where we concede a couple and find ourselves with a problem to solve. I'm sure he'll make a couple of changes but it will still look very much like a first XI. Winning this trophy is our key objective now.
Roma are in seriously bad form and aren't in a good place in general. We don't need the strongest XI to see this out. If we were only 1 or 2 nil up I might agree with you. We are in the final, we aren't losing this 4 bloody nil. Given the rescheduling of fixtures, this is the exact game we should be rotating for. The PL is still going on and we have huge games against Villa, Leicester and Liverpool to win. Let's ensure we put ourselves in a good a place as possible to win the EL and secure our place as close to City as possible by utilising the stength of the squad.

RkkMan

We've improved given we have gained more points than last season, and the only way we drop below second is resting players to win a trophy. Absolutely zero prizes for 2nd to 4th. Would you go full strength against Wolves if we needed the 3 points to make 2nd?
I would not and that's why we have to avoid such a scenario by securing 2nd as early as matchday 35 yes??
And yes we have more points than last season but 67 points is not a big enough improvement to justify "progress" has to be at least 75 points nine more than last season. Win our next 2 we go to 73 and even with a 2nd string team we should be able to get at least 4/5 points in our last 3 games

Maticmaker

I suppose that as far as PL punishments go that's actually not too bad, will give Ole chance to really test his squad depth (Hrmm...)

However we've heard nothing official yet from UEFA on ground safety (breaking and entering) and any problems that might cause next year in European comps and nothing from the politicos about breaking Covid rules.

The fact is its the clubs name, the players and the fans who will pay ultimately, not the Glazers who will stay in the US and hunker down.

Please take the gun off our well meaning but 'useful idiots' before they blow the other foot off

Bilbo

TeaBaggins
Roma are in seriously bad form and aren't in a good place in general. We don't need the strongest XI to see this out. If we were only 1 or 2 nil up I might agree with you. We are in the final, we aren't losing this 4 bloody nil. Given the rescheduling of fixtures, this is the exact game we should be rotating for. The PL is still going on and we have huge games against Villa, Leicester and Liverpool to win. Let's ensure we put ourselves in a good a place as possible to win the EL and secure our place as close to City as possible by utilising the stength of the squad.
I agree with the bold, but I don't think that Ole will take any chances here and I don't believe that I would either if it were my decision. We saw the same thing against Sociedad. I'd personally prefer to rotate against Villa.

redrobed

So we take a stand on behalf of all the smaller teams and the Premier League itself and this is their reward for us. Guarantee no other team would have been asked to play 4 in 8. Hated, adored, never ignored.

Beachryan

More helpful with spreadsheets than Phurry
As fans we really, REALLY need to be ready to accept some poor performances over the rest of the season. Our first XI are already knackered, this is going to be a bridge too far in terms of fitness. Which is fine, they've been excellent this season, I think Ole is comfortably safe and the squad seems happy.

But if they lose 3 in a row because thoes 3 matches are within 5 days or whatever, we have to give them a break.

Personally, the priorities are clear and thus what should happen is:
Tonight: We have to win. Start the first XI, get to 60 mins, use all available subs.
Villa: Meh. Mata, VDB, Bailly, De Gea, Williams etc. Second team. Doesn't really matter. Kidnap Grealish at halftime and force him to sign a precontract.
Leicester: Win this and we're there. So best possible team.
Liverpool: Could care less. The U23s have been excellent, send them out to make up the numbers. It. Does. Not. Matter.

And then we're kind of on the beach til the final.

Looking back, we'll only care about league position and the potential EL final. So that's all that matters.

tomaldinho1

Bruno, you need a rest.

If he starts tonight it's just tempting fate for an injury or unnecessary burnout. There's this weird culture on the caf of fear of losing in the most unlikely scenarios, which maybe is knock on effect of our CL campaign this year, but Roma are a really average team - that part we have already seen - AND we are not going to lose 0-4. We could play at least 6 2nd string players with the depth we have and I think it would be relatively even.

Josh 76

As fans we really, REALLY need to be ready to accept some poor performances over the rest of the season. Our first XI are already knackered, this is going to be a bridge too far in terms of fitness. Which is fine, they've been excellent this season, I think Ole is comfortably safe and the squad seems happy.

But if they lose 3 in a row because thoes 3 matches are within 5 days or whatever, we have to give them a break.

Personally, the priorities are clear and thus what should happen is:
Tonight: We have to win. Start the first XI, get to 60 mins, use all available subs.
Villa: Meh. Mata, VDB, Bailly, De Gea, Williams etc. Second team. Doesn't really matter. Kidnap Grealish at halftime and force him to sign a precontract.
Leicester: Win this and we're there. So best possible team.
Liverpool: Could care less. The U23s have been excellent, send them out to make up the numbers. It. Does. Not. Matter.

And then we're kind of on the beach til the final.

Looking back, we'll only care about league position and the potential EL final. So that's all that matters.
You couldn’t care less about getting battered by Liverpool at home ?
How times have changed.

that’s the one game we need to pick our best 11 and send them feckers into the EL.

believe me when I say they will be a threat next season and the last thing I want is them to win another CL next season.

RkkMan

How times have changed.

that’s the one game we need to pick our best 11 and send them feckers into the EL.

believe me when I say they will be a threat next season and the last thing I want is them to win another CL next season.
A threat? Name me one team in PL history that has ever launched a proper title challenge or won the PL playing Thursday Nights which is where they'll likely play next season. Factor in Salah/Mane will be off for AFCON mid season. Best they'll get is a top 4 finish next season and this season top 4 for them is extremely unlikely even if they beat us at OT

Beachryan

More helpful with spreadsheets than Phurry
How times have changed.

I just don't see how they over take Chelsea and Leicester. If I thought us beating them was the only way to stop them getting 4th, I'd have a different opinion.

It's still possible for them, but would need a pretty massive collapse from the above two. Leicester also play Newcastle tomorrow, so assuming they win that, any slipup from Pool and it's kinda done.

mitchmouse

loves to hate United.
Maybe. But they are in the club purely for the money and the best way to drive them out is a financial loss. Turning the global TV networks against them will lead to that a lot sooner than targeting wine sponsors and car makers.
they'd probably be able to use as "loss leaders" and nab money back from tax! I know at least one major company that used to do this - had some high-sellers and one "donkey" as soon as the donkey became profitable, it was a goner

mitchmouse

loves to hate United.
my problem with this is that our squad isn't nearly as deep as I would like. On a good day, City's second string could beat our first - and many others. So often we don't have a real game-changer on the bench: an Ole/Yorke or Cole

justsomebloke

I just don't see how they over take Chelsea and Leicester. If I thought us beating them was the only way to stop them getting 4th, I'd have a different opinion.

It's still possible for them, but would need a pretty massive collapse from the above two. Leicester also play Newcastle tomorrow, so assuming they win that, any slipup from Pool and it's kinda done.
It wouldn't really need that massive a collapse. If Liverpool win their remaining games, they're on 69 points. If Chelsea drop at least 4 points and Leicester at least 6 they're on 69 or less, and the GD is pretty close. For example:

- We beat Leicester
- Leicester and Chelsea draw
- Chelsea and City draw
- Leicester and Spurs draw

None of those results would be particularly shameful or surprising. Of course, they are unlikely to all happen, but there are other possible permutations too. Bottom line is Leicester and Chelsea have a very tough schedule left, much more so than Liverpool, and their lead isn't that big.

Personally however, I doubt Liverpool will manage to win all of their five remaining games. And you're right, any points dropped against Newcastle and it's over for them.

justsomebloke

You can easily rest about 8 players tonight and then the other 3 against Villa on Sunday with no issues at all. It's not THAT bad because your fantastic 1st leg result made tonight a dead rubber.

Also, let's be honest, the game Vs Liverpool ain't happening on that date, is it.
Sorry, what?

VidaRed

Unimaginative FC
If we rest players for leicester and end up dropping points while putting out a full strength squad for the dippers and winning then thats a double whammy for the dippers. Because they drop points against us and there top 4 rival i.e. leicester gain more points on them.

Andersons Dietician

There's bound to be another, similar protest at that game, don't you think?
hopefully if there is another demonstration it’s organised with a proper leader, and done in a better manner than the first one. This is what really needs to happen. Elect a body to mobilise and control the situation and stop people doing what they did on Sunday.

If people want to postpone the game and give Pool 3 points for free then at least do it in a tasteful manner.

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member
There's bound to be another, similar protest at that game, don't you think?

If I was organising the protests that's what I'd do.

Man United v Liverpool doesn't happen until the owners at least talk to the protestors IMO.
No way anyone will be allowed on the pitch.

Shit could erupt outside the pitch, no doubt, but it would be quelled pretty quickly. There will undoubtedly be a feck ton of police there.

Utd heap

Models for Coin.
hopefully if there is another demonstration it’s organised with a proper leader, and done in a better manner than the first one. This is what really needs to happen. Elect a body to mobilise and control the situation and stop people doing what they did on Sunday.

If people want to postpone the game and give Pool 3 points for free then at least do it in a tasteful manner.
What's tasteful then mate?

Or are we harping on about one bloke kicking a door and a few people lobbing bottles. You'll get that with a 10k protest leader or no leader.

alexthelion

How can we possibly get worse? The club has spent 1.5bn in 15 years on bank payments and dividends. And the debt is still huge meaning these payments will be staying for good.

The Glazers are the worst owners out of any major club in Europe.
If you can't see how then I can fully understand why you have such a blinkered point of view.