Man Utd updated schedule - 4 games in 8 days | Roma, Villa, Leicester, Liverpool

alexthelion

Maybe. But they are in the club purely for the money and the best way to drive them out is a financial loss. Turning the global TV networks against them will lead to that a lot sooner than targeting wine sponsors and car makers.
How much damage are you prepared to do to the club in this aim?

alexthelion

So we take a stand on behalf of all the smaller teams and the Premier League itself and this is their reward for us. Guarantee no other team would have been asked to play 4 in 8. Hated, adored, never ignored.
You what? :lol:

We did no such thing, it was purely to get rid of the Glazers.

justsomebloke

There's bound to be another, similar protest at that game, don't you think?

If I was organising the protests that's what I'd do.

Man United v Liverpool doesn't happen until the owners at least talk to the protestors IMO.
If there is, then we'd forfeit the game. I don't think there'll be another rescheduling. Indeed, it's hard to see how there could be, there's no space.

Wouldn't enjoy that very much, to tell you the truth, though I sympathise with the sentiment and purpose of the protests. No sense in burning the house down.

Also, it may not be a wise strategy for building support for any sustained protest to force fans to choose between protesting against the Glazers and the success of the team on the pitch. You don't do scorched earth on your own territory. (Well, the Soviet Union did, but then they had leadership that didn't exactly rely on warm approval from the fan base).

Last edited:

Fridge chutney

There's bound to be another, similar protest at that game, don't you think?

If I was organising the protests that's what I'd do.

Man United v Liverpool doesn't happen until the owners at least talk to the protestors IMO.
Agreed. I think it's a very real possibility.

Hopefully Chelsea beat City (for obvious reasons) to make this fixture congestion a moot point from a Chelsea perspective.

Nou_Camp99

what would Souness do?
If you can't see how then I can fully understand why you have such a blinkered point of view.
Name me one elite club in Europe with worse owners. I will wait.

They have made this club pay for their own takeover. We have been saddled with THEIR debt which is still huge by the way. 1.5bn lost forever through non footballing reasons.

Explain to me how we could get worse. I really fail to see how. Fergie was the glue holding the club together. Since he retired it's fallen apart.

duffer

Sensible and not a complete jerk like most oppo's
Scout
Agreed. I think it's a very real possibility.

Hopefully Chelsea beat City (for obvious reasons) to make this fixture congestion a moot point from a Chelsea perspective.
I personally wouldn't care a jot about them getting the three points. If we don't get top four it won't be because of a cancelled game.

If the Glaziers (or at least someone high up) talks to MUST or whoever, then I think another protest would be avoided but if theres nothing, the players buses will get blocked in, I would bet on it.

A peaceful protest outside the ground where the buses get waved at will achieve nothing and I think the protest organisers agree with me.

justsomebloke

I personally wouldn't care a jot about them getting the three points. If we don't get top four it won't be because of a cancelled game.

If the Glaziers (or at least someone high up) talks to MUST or whoever, then I think another protest would be avoided but if theres nothing, the players buses will get blocked in, I would bet on it.

A peaceful protest outside the ground where the buses get waved at will achieve nothing and I think the protest organisers agree with me.
Whereas if the match is called off, obviously that'll change everything.

They have got to find a way to do this that doesn't interfere with the team playing. If they don't, I for one am not supporting it. Trying to drive the owners out through fan protest is unlikely to succeed, but it's worth trying. But there's a limit to the damage that is acceptable, and for me that stops at hurting what the team is trying to achieve on the pitch.

alexthelion

They have made this club pay for their own takeover. We have been saddled with THEIR debt which is still huge by the way. 1.5bn lost forever through non footballing reasons.

Explain to me how we could get worse. I really fail to see how. Fergie was the glue holding the club together. Since he retired it's fallen apart.
Liverpool, Chelsea, City, Barca, Arsenal, Spurs, Real for starters.

jeff gurr

Supports
Leicester City
So we take a stand on behalf of all the smaller teams and the Premier League itself and this is their reward for us. Guarantee no other team would have been asked to play 4 in 8. Hated, adored, never ignored.
You are going to have a hard time selling that fairy tale. It had nothing to do with smaller teams or the league. Do your thing but don't try and sell it as something it definitely is not.

redrobed

You are going to have a hard time selling that fairy tale. It had nothing to do with smaller teams or the league. Do your thing but don't try and sell it as something it definitely is not.
I’m not looking for gratitude and will admit first and foremost we were trying to get rid of the Glazers. But you have to admit it is good for you guys and the other small teams. We’re setting a precedent and it’ll mean the FA are far stricter about who they’ll allow to buy clubs in future.

Plus a strong Utd is the biggest money maker for the league given our global fanbase and the attention we’re given. It’s in your best interests for us to be at the top.

always_hoping

:lol: Why should West Brom agree to be inconvenienced for the sake of two ESL clubs?
Matches get moved all the time, that's the nature of this league. Fulham and Leicester games against United was brought forward from their original dates and I doubt the PL contacted those clubs to say sorry for the inconvenience...

diarm

Lads every time you respond to that dildo he gets the horn. I'd never heard of him before a week ago and if ye all stop quoting him he'll disappear back into the woodwork for another "50 years".

Last edited:

TheRedHearted

Like not getting a game postponed?
Our players didn’t get the game postponed. Ole didn’t get the game postponed. The fans who travelled there that day didn’t do anything to get the game postponed.

If a car crashed into your house and you couldn’t make it to work, how would you like it if your boss said “well you shouldn’t have let that car crash into your house..”
Our players don’t have to do with the protestors issues with the glazers.
Surprised a mod liked that type of mentality

SirReginald

Supports
Chelsea
Liverpool, Chelsea, City, Barca, Arsenal, Spurs, Real for starters.
Your joking right? He might have a happy trigger finger in firing managers (not as bad as watford mind) but he is definitely one of THE BEST owners in the league. Not even on a football level either, he has supported the NHS during the pandemic. For a guy vilified and refused visas for this country, the guy is a legend.

Dominos

I'm not too worried - we can potentially play first 11 against Villa on Sunday, 2nd string against Leicester on Tuesday and first 11 against Liverpool on Thursday. Throwing the Leicester game may have the added benefit of keeping Liverpool/Chelsea out of the top 4 (although obviously we'd hope our 2nd string get the job done and win it anyway).

We'll need maybe 4-6 more points to secure 2nd place. We can surely get that in the games against Villa, Fulham and Wolves. If we drop the ball against Villa then maybe panic will set in.

Dominos

We've improved given we have gained more points than last season, and the only way we drop below second is resting players to win a trophy. Absolutely zero prizes for 2nd to 4th. Would you go full strength against Wolves if we needed the 3 points to make 2nd?
You have to play a qualifying game for CL if you finish 4th no?

2nd vs 3rd is irrelevant if we've got a final to prepare for, I'd rest players agaisnt Wolves providing top 3 is secured.

FreddieTheReddie

Our players didn’t get the game postponed. Ole didn’t get the game postponed. The fans who travelled there that day didn’t do anything to get the game postponed.

If a car crashed into your house and you couldn’t make it to work, how would you like it if your boss said “well you shouldn’t have let that car crash into your house..”
Our players don’t have to do with the protestors issues with the glazers.
Surprised a mod liked that type of mentality
But people who supported the protests are complaining about the fixtures and it’s like the driver who deliberately crashed into your house and later complains when you get fired for not showing up at work. Sure, the players shouldn’t be punished but there’s some irony when the protesters blame the FA or West Brom who don’t want to reschedule their games.

Josh 76

I'm not too worried - we can potentially play first 11 against Villa on Sunday, 2nd string against Leicester on Tuesday and first 11 against Liverpool on Thursday. Throwing the Leicester game may have the added benefit of keeping Liverpool/Chelsea out of the top 4 (although obviously we'd hope our 2nd string get the job done and win it anyway).

We'll need maybe 4-6 more points to secure 2nd place. We can surely get that in the games against Villa, Fulham and Wolves. If we drop the ball against Villa then maybe panic will set in.
This

alexthelion

A lot less than the Glazer ownership causes.
What actual damage have they caused, though?

Yes, £1.5bn has gone but we've still spent nearly £1bn in transfers in the last eight years. The only thing I could see that money going on would be OT. Maybe that's where our anger should be aimed, make them better owners by spending on infrastructure. I can't see anyone forking out £4bn for the club and investing £300m or £400m on OT on top of that.

always_hoping

People should stop interacting with someone who's clearly wumming, that or woefully ignorant.
The what actual damage have the Glazers caused is a Monty Python like comment.

What Have the Romans Ever Done for Us?

United Hobbit

I'd play the likes of DVB/ Telles/ Williams et Al vs Leicester, as its slap bang in the middle of the close run fixtures and we are fairly sure of top 4

Try and get the Villa game won early, then rest Bruno/ Cavani/ Shaw.

Go full strength vs Liverpool, as it's Liverpool and try and dent their chance of top 4

Not sure re Fulham and Wolves as long as top 4 is secured maybe give one half in each games to those who must not miss the final eg Cavani, Shaw, Bruno

jesperjaap

It is unheard of and a crazy schedule, but personally......I quite like it.

Lest face it all we are playing for is second place, a top four finish is pretty much done. 2nd or 4th...little difference to me.

With so many games, Ole has to use the squad and when he has rotated players so far, the youngsters....mainly are just getting on the bench, we havent seen much of them. I am hoping we get to see a bit more of some of the youngsters that have got a few minutes and maybe even the likes of Elanga and Mjebri.....the one big game for me is Liverpool, 3 points may end there cl hopes

Leftback99

Might have a bedwetting fetish.
Watching how complacent the players were tonight this could be a really bad week.

theklr

All for this as long it doesnt risk our 2nd place.

Lappen

So 6 games in the 20 days before the Arsenal game (assuming we don’t spectacularly blow the game tomorrow of course) - that is crazy, but TBF looking at their fixtures Arsenal have 5 in that time.

We have a much harder last game of the season than them, but hopefully we’ll have top four secure by then, though that is less likely given the demands on the players by the extra game.

Still so much football for the players in such a time-frame given the season they’ve had already :(
Its 6 games in 17 days. And then 3, counting the game-day to the final.

I really hope Ole thinks like this but I'm quite sure he won't, its just not the Ole way....
If he does play the yongsters against Leicester could we get some punishment from the league doing that?

theklr

I really hope Ole thinks like this but I'm quite sure he won't, its just not the Ole way....
If he does play the yongsters against Leicester could we get some punishment from the league doing that?
Agree, im sure Ole want to do everything he can to get 2nd. For the progress and optics.

No, they cant punish us at all for that.

TMDaines

Fun sponge.
Its 6 games in 17 days. And then 3, counting the game-day to the final.

We’ve got one of the biggest squads in the league without throwing junior players under the bus. This is conceivably our second XI, not using our XI key players:

DDG
Williams Tuanzebe Bailly Telles
VDB Matic
Greenwood Mata (James)
(Martial)

Judas

Open to offers
We’ve got one of the biggest squads in the league without throwing junior players under the bus. This is conceivably our second XI, not using our XI key players:

DDG
Williams Tuanzebe Bailly Telles
VDB Matic
Greenwood Mata (James)
(Martial)
That's not winning many games though is it? It's weak, it really is weak. Thus why people still arguing against signings like Sancho because "we're stacked already" are nuts.

TMDaines

Fun sponge.
That's not winning many games though is it? It's weak, it really is weak. Thus why people still arguing against signings like Sancho because "we're stacked already" are nuts.
My point was that if seasoned, second-string senior professionals looked so far off the pace against a motivated side, imagine how much harder it will be for “the kids”. Cries of “play the kids” are cliche for good reason.

The next week is for our senior squad to handle and for our key players to push themselves. They then get some time to recover for Fulham, when I expect us to aim to wrap up our league season with a very strong team in front of fans at Old Trafford. If second is then secured, we can use the Wolves match however we wish to prepare for the Europa final.

westmeath

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
Lot of talk on here about ensuring 2nd place. I think places 2-4 are all the same. Get three points on Sunday and the league is over. Then it’s just about Gdańsk.