Manager draft Semi final - The Pep Vipers VS The Tramps

Who would win based on their peak under the managers?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

antohan

gets aroused by tagline boobs
Even if Gentile is clearly in the GOAT stratosphere in terms of central defenders and irreplaceable for the Catenaccio/Zona Mista where you simply can't exclude him. It would be like kicking Boniek out of the Trapa team because he's not "GOAT" level, when nobody would do the job at stake needed as well as Boniek - with as much understanding of the team/his own players.
Bloody hell... :lol:

Agree he has to be there, and will do a fine job. GOAT stratosphere? While saying Boniek isn't one? No. There's truckloads of players who can do what Gentile does in defence, not a single one that quite did what Boniek did, the way he did it. I'm not even claiming he should be regarded as one, but at least he is unique, which Gentile certainly wasn't.

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff
The big question is, was he proud of that nickname? That would definitely help to determine how big a cnut he actually was.
He hated it, actually

But I genuinely believe that he was a cnut of a highest calibre though

Annahnomoss

Bloody hell... :lol:

Agree he has to be there, and will do a fine job. GOAT stratosphere? While saying Boniek isn't one? No. There's truckloads of players who can do what Gentile does in defence, not a single one that quite did what Boniek did, the way he did it. I'm not even claiming he should be regarded as one, but at least he is unique, which Gentile certainly wasn't.
It was supposed to be ironic, that Boniek isn't up there. For the role Boniek played, you'd want Boniek ahead of loads of other bigger star names and I wouldn't want to see many defenders(if nearly any) kicking out Gentile in the Zona Mista.

Gentile may not have been unique, at the time he played as everybody played the catenaccio/zona mista - but who else but Bergomi and Burgnich would be replacing him in that zona mista/catenaccio set up? If you want Scirea in your all time Italian set up, then Gentile would be part of it too.

Balu

Der Fußballgott
Supports
Bayern Munich
He hated it, actually

But I genuinely believe that he was a cnut of a highest calibre though
I would have been surprised if he didn't. As big a cnut as he was, he's still human and it's a horrible nickname and even he didn't deserve to get that tag.

The Red Viper

Supports
Liverpool
Hello Everyone.

Just came online. Gimme some time go through the posts.

The Red Viper

Supports
Liverpool
@Annahnomoss

Substitution & Change Of Tactics.

Thierry Henry OFF, Samuel Eto'o ON.

We will play the formation, Pep currently plays at Bayern Munich and did at Barcelona for a brief period during 2010-11 season. We shift to a three man back-line, where Jérôme Boateng will play as right-sided centre back, Carles Puyol centrally and Éric Abidal as left-sided centre back. The midfield three and the shape of it remains the same. Arjen Robben plays in the same role as he did before and does for Bayern Munich now. Philipp Lahm plays as a left wing-back/left midfielder. Lionel Messi plays as the second striker where he would have complete freedom to do whatever he wants. With Samuel Eto'o now being, there, we have a striker who can lead the line and play on the shoulders of the last defender. So, this would help Lionel Messi as well as Samuel Eto'o because now one of Gaetano Scirea/Claudio Gentile would have to keep track of the runs of Samuel Eto'o or they would leave him free. And, with the likes of Lionel Messi, Xavi Hernández and Andrés Iniesta at play, there are enough great passers who can find him free and provide the telling pass. This would also release Lionel Messi with some space as he would no longe be surrounded by defenders. Andrés Iniesta would look to drag towards the left flank and attack Giuseppe Bergomi. Philipp Lahm would overlap on that flank and look to provide a passing option and width down that flank. At the same time, when harm's team get on the ball, he would keep track of Zibì Boniek's runs from deep.

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
Not bad. I'm getting tipsy, mind - so don't pay any attention to me. But I prefer Eto'o to the Barca version of Henry.

Also like Lahm on the left, which reintroduces the plan of letting him keep an eye on Boniek - and when the latter drifts across, he'll be up against a more - let's say - permanently defending Boateng. Still as an addition to Cabrini on that side, though, potentially - but that's another matter.

As a response to what has been brought up so far - and in general, as a move to make when behind - I think this is sound.

But I repeat that I'm getting woozy.

antohan

Gentile may not have been unique, at the time he played as everybody played the catenaccio/zona mista - but who else but Bergomi and Burgnich would be replacing him in that zona mista/catenaccio set up? If you want Scirea in your all time Italian set up, then Gentile would be part of it too.
Ehem... That's a discussion best left for the final, don't you think? Probably a good thing Aldo isn't around any more, you would never hear the end of it :lol:

antohan

I would have been surprised if he didn't. As big a cnut as he was, he's still human and it's a horrible nickname and even he didn't deserve to get that tag.
His family left Libya in anticipation of an anti-Italian backlash. When asked to be the Libyan NT manager, he said he happily would, but not while Gaddafi was still around. So no, I don't think he fancied it.

antohan

Playing Lahm on left for a Pep team does not cut it.
I don't mind it. Fair enough, this is just about the only scenario where it made sense to also have Alaba, but if there's someone disciplined enough to be assigned an unfamiliar task and put in a fine performance that would be Lahm. Not that he will be the only source of width with Iniesta on that side.

I like this. Throughout the raging Eto'o debates people were putting forward Messi being fine on the right, which made no sense at Robben's expense, but this is a brilliant way to go about it and just about what was needed to tip me over to one side.

Looked like a drab low-scoring affair before, settled by a mistake. This looks more open but I think the ball-hogging will just about edge it for Pep.

3-2 to TRV

Edgar Allan Pillow

Ero-Sennin
Not bad. I'm getting tipsy, mind - so don't pay any attention to me. But I prefer Eto'o to the Barca version of Henry.

Also like Lahm on the left, which reintroduces the plan of letting him keep an eye on Boniek - and when the latter drifts across, he'll be up against a more - let's say - permanently defending Boateng. Still as an addition to Cabrini on that side, though, potentially - but that's another matter.

As a response to what has been brought up so far - and in general, as a move to make when behind - I think this is sound.

But I repeat that I'm getting woozy.
3pm and I'm just opening my first can of beer now.

Cheers!

harms

Staff
This is interesting. I think that we had that debate in the main thread, this is clearly not the role that Messi prefers and excells in. I don't like Pep's Lahm on the left, though he definitely can do a job there. But Boateng is facing Cabrini and Baggio, which is now my main route to goal and Robben is left without the supporting fullback, which would reduce his influence on his game.

Furino is practically the part of my backline, which TRV seems to forget somehow. I don't think that with that substitution the pressure on my defence will increase massively, the only downplay is that Lahm is finally on Boniek's duty (who ran free the first half an hour of the game, I want to mention), but the already suspicious defence of TRV is now weakened even more.

It's all going according to the plan - early lead, sitting deep and hitting him on the counter. Free flank for Cabrini, more space for Platini and runs of Baggio and Batistuta :drool:

harms

Staff
Because he plays as the right-back or a central midfielder for Pep mostly? When was the last time that he played on the left? I think that was years ago. He certainly can do a job here, as I said earlier, but it's clearly not his best position.

crappycraperson

"Resident cricket authority"
Scout
It is not even his best position, a position he has not played for any kind of consistency for ages. People were aghast at Zanetti playing at left back last draft, here Lahm doing so under Pep who actually wants to use him as a midfielder instead of a full back is even more absurd.

crappycraperson

Scout
I also find it it brilliant as to how Balu has convinced folks that Boateng is an acceptable defender to have in a draft with this time period. In the new formation, he could end up facing Baggio running at him with Cabirini as another option to consider on wide left.

I had voted for a draw earlier but I fail to see how this formation is any improvement over that, people just seem to be giving credit for trying something different than boring 433

harms

Staff
So, on a lucky counter it can be Boniek-Platini-Cabrini-Batistuta-Baggio against Busquets-Abidal-Puyol-Boateng?
It's fair to say that Boniek will outran Lahm if they start at the same position (which they will, judging by this formation) and Robben, who really upped his defensive game under Pep's guidance, still won't chase Cabrini back to his own box.

I won't say that it will be everytime, but even if it will be only three or four of those players, let alone all of them, running at Busquets and co, it will still be a disaster.

Last edited:

antohan

It is not even his best position, a position he has not played for any kind of consistency for ages. People were aghast at Zanetti playing at left back last draft, here Lahm doing so under Pep who actually wants to use him as a midfielder instead of a full back is even more absurd.
It's different, as Zanetti got picked in a reinforcement round to play leftback ahead of 4-5 clearly better leftbacks. What TRV is doing here is using his squad. Lahm won't be MotM there but, from a defensive standpoint, he will be fine. It's going forward that he won't be the same, but it isn't a big issue seeing as it is Iniesta and not Lahm that the magic is expected of. If it were Alaba I would say he is defensively poorer and what he would add in attack is irrelevant when facing Bergomi anyway. Sort of Joya/Garrincha vs. Maldini revisited ;)

I had voted for a draw earlier but I fail to see how this formation is any improvement over that, people just seem to be giving credit for trying something different than boring 433
It's the other flank where things are at with Cabrini facing Robben, Gentile facing Messi and possibly Robben when Cabrini gets beaten/caught upfield while Scirea has his hands full with Eto'o.

This was a game where Traps would sit back, soak and try hit on the break, while the Peps would hog the ball all game and limit those opportunities by design. It never needed the Peps sporting a four-man backline but more incisiveness upfront and that's what this switch delivers.

harms

Staff
It's the other flank where things are at with Cabrini facing Robben, Gentile facing Messi and possibly Robben when Cabrini gets beaten/caught upfield while Scirea has his hands full with Eto'o.
Lahm, who on the left is an inferior attacking threat than Lahm on the right, has Boniek to reduce his influence (and vice-versa), Iniesta has Furino on him so it frees Bergomi who will help Scirea and Gentile with Eto'o. If Iniesta goes on the left, than Bergomi is staying on the flank to control him and Furino is going to help them. Tardelli is also going to contribute massively there and will cover for Cabrini or Gentile.

I think that TRV can nick a goal here, but on the other side it will be a massacre.

The Red Viper

Supports
Liverpool
Because he plays as the right-back or a central midfielder for Pep mostly? When was the last time that he played on the left? I think that was years ago. He certainly can do a job here, as I said earlier, but it's clearly not his best position.
So, we can only play players in the positions and roles they played under the particular manager? That totally defeats the purpose of the draft then because you can't try anything new.

Lahm was boss as a left back. He played there for Germany during the 2012 Euros and was brilliant there. Yes, he hasn't played there for Pep but that doesn't mean he won't be great if he is asked to play there. Pep said, tactically Lahm was the best player he has ever coached. He can adapt to any position well because he is such a complete player. And, Its not like I am using him as a sweeper or anything. I am using him in a position, where he played plenty and did great. Just because he didn't play there under Pep shouldn't undermine his influence there. Also, harms, you have Boniek, who played as a seconda punta under Trap, play as an ala destra here where you are asking him to provide the width. Not to forget Gentile, who mostly played as a terzino destro under Trap, but you have him centrally play as a normal CB. Many in this draft have tried to play players in a role/position different than they most did under the particular manager. Its just nitpicking.

harms

Staff
We all know all those shenanigans with Messi and his central position. Ibrahimovic was sold because of it. Eto'o played with him, when Messi was on the right - but Robben is there. Eto'o played on the flank in Mourinho team - but it was Mourinho that reinvented him and turned him into this player. So, what will it be, eventually? Messi and Eto'o running into each other space or Messi being moved to a playmaker position?

If he is going to, than, Platini is going to be the best player on the pitch (considering both talent and given responsibilities). What's the plan to contain him? I'm still waiting to hear a legitimate one. Somehow my attacking force, which I, actually, like and rate slightly better than TRV's one is going completely under the radar here.

The Red Viper

Supports
Liverpool
Also, the reason I chose Boateng over Pique is very simple. Boateng is much quicker and also the fact that he has played well as a right back should help here because he would be playing in a role where he maybe required to do the defensive role of a right back as well as a centre back. Also, due to his pace, he is a good defender in one-on-one conditions.

harms

Staff
So, we can only play players in the positions and roles they played under the particular manager? That totally defeats the purpose of the draft then because you can't try anything new.

Lahm was boss as a left back. He played there for Germany during the 2012 Euros and was brilliant there. Yes, he hasn't played there for Pep but that doesn't mean he won't be great if he is asked to play there. Pep said, tactically Lahm was the best player he has ever coached. He can adapt to any position well because he is such a complete player. And, Its not like I am using him as a sweeper or anything. I am using him in a position, where he played plenty and did great. Just because he didn't play there under Pep shouldn't undermine his influence there. Also, harms, you have Boniek, who played as a seconda punta under Trap, play as an ala destra here where you are asking him to provide the width. Not to forget Gentile, who mostly played as a terzino destro under Trap, but you have him centrally play as a normal CB. Many in this draft have tried to play players in a role/position different than they most did under the particular manager. Its just nitpicking.
Boniek played both as ala destra and as seconda punta. Gentile played as a stopper, terzino sinistro and terzino destro.

I don't say that Lahm can't play on the left - of course he can and, as he played there before Pep it's fair to think that he still can. But it's not his best position, that's all. He still can and will do a great/good job there, as I stated 2 times already. My issue is more of a tactical one - you left your right flank to Boateng and Lahm would lose to Boniek on a long/middle distance run - as great as he is, the pace isn't his greatest quality, while Boniek's is.

The Red Viper

Supports
Liverpool
Boniek played both as ala destra and as seconda punta. Gentile played as a stopper, terzino sinistro and terzino destro.

I don't say that Lahm can't play on the left - of course he can and, as he played there before Pep it's fair to think that he still can. But it's not his best position, that's all. He still can and will do a great/good job there, as I stated 2 times already. My issue is more of a tactical one - you left your right flank to Boateng and Lahm would lose to Boniek on a long/middle distance run - as great as he is, the pace isn't his greatest quality, while Boniek's is.
They played few games here and there, may be. But their primary roles and what they were best at, was in a different role/position like you are implying about Lahm.

harms

Staff
Also, the reason I chose Boateng over Pique is very simple. Boateng is much quicker and also the fact that he has played well as a right back should help here because he would be playing in a role where he maybe required to do the defensive role of a right back as well as a centre back. Also, due to his pace, he is a good defender in one-on-one conditions.
I don't think that anybody is questioning this pick, of course he is an upgrade on Pique. It's more of an issue with Pep's pool

harms

Staff
They played few games here and there, may be. But their primary roles and what they were best at, was in a different role/position like you are implying about Lahm.
I'm sorry, but you are just wrong here.

antohan

Lahm, who on the left is an inferior attacking threat than Lahm on the right, has Boniek to reduce his influence (and vice-versa), Iniesta has Furino on him so it frees Bergomi who will help Scirea and Gentile with Eto'o. If Iniesta goes on the left, than Bergomi is staying on the flank to control him and Furino is going to help them. Tardelli is also going to contribute massively there and will cover for Cabrini or Gentile.

I think that TRV can nick a goal here, but on the other side it will be a massacre.
Which is quite clearly what Iniesta will do most of the time the way this is laid out. Basically, Bergomi will be tucked in a fair bit while the tiki taka takes place in midfield but the moment it moves into the final third Iniesta will drag him, i.e. exactly when him supporting Scirea would be relevant.

I don't think it's a massacre anywhere. You'll both score, he will control possession most of the game and you will be under far more pressure, consistently. It really all depends on who scores first and you most likely hadn't scored so far. If anything, you may have conceded.

I'm obviously not going to compare the scoring records of both teams since the defences Barca faced were far worse... but Barca typically conceded less goals per season than Juve with Platini-Boniek, in a league with 20% more games and where teams regularly conceded a lot more goals... all the while scoring for fun.

I agree the individual quality of your defenders is better than his but that Barca side was harder to score against than that Juve side, no matter how many times Gaz orgasms seeing Torres run the length of the pitch solo with Barca camped around the box and desperately pushing for a goal. That was a rarity, not the norm.

The Red Viper

Supports
Liverpool
I'm sorry, but you are just wrong here.
How? Are you saying Boniek's best was as an ala destra?

Boniek was the seconda punta in that side. It was Marocchino and later Vignola, who played as an ala destra for Juve in those three years Boniek was at Juventus.

Trap mostly used Gentile as the man-marker/terzino destro. It was Brio who partnered Scirea in central defence majority of the times. Due to Trap's insistence of that set-up, teams, especially the good ones in Europe took advantage of it. Happel's Hamburg being the most famous one.

Here is a bit about that:-

Gradually Inter's system became formalised and developed into il gioco all'Italiano. "It was effective for a while," said Ludovico Maradei, a former chief football writer of La Gazzetta dello Sport, "and, by the late 1970s and early 1980s everybody in Italy was playing it. But that became its undoing. Everybody had the same system and it was rigidly reflected in the numbers players wore. The No9 was the centre-forward, 11 was the second striker who always attacked from the left, 7 the tornante on the right, 4 the deep-lying central midfielder, 10 the more attacking central midfielder and 8 the link-man, usually on the centre left, leaving space for 3, the left-back, to push on. Everyone marked man-to-man so it was all very predictable. 2 on 11, 3 on 7, 4 on 10, 5 on 9, 6 was the sweeper, 7 on 3, 8 on 8, 10 on 4, 9 on 5 and 11 on 2."

In other words, asymmetries matched, every system mapping neatly on to the one it was pitted against. The problem came when it met an incongruent asymmetry, as was exposed in Juventus's defeat to Hamburg in the 1983 European Cup final. Hamburg played with two forwards: a figurehead in Horst Hrubesch, with the Dane Lars Bastrup usually playing off him to the left. That suited Giovanni Trapattoni's Juventus, because it meant Bastrup could be marked by the right-back Claudio Gentile, while the left-back Antonio Cabrini would be free to attack.

Realising that, the Hamburg coach Ernst Happel switched Bastrup to the right, putting him up against Cabrini. Trapattoni, sticking with the man-to-man system, moved Gentile across to the left to mark Bastrup.

That, of course, left a hole on the right, which Marco Tardelli was supposed to drop back from midfield and fill. In practice, though, Tardelli was both neutered as an attacking force and failed adequately to cover the gap, through which Felix Magath ran to score the only goal of the game.

crappycraperson

Scout
Which is quite clearly what Iniesta will do most of the time the way this is laid out. Basically, Bergomi will be tucked in a fair bit while the tiki taka takes place in midfield but the moment it moves into the final third Iniesta will drag him, i.e. exactly when him supporting Scirea would be relevant.

I don't think it's a massacre anywhere. You'll both score, he will control possession most of the game and you will be under far more pressure, consistently. It really all depends on who scores first and you most likely hadn't scored so far. If anything, you may have conceded.

I'm obviously not going to compare the scoring records of both teams since the defences Barca faced were far worse... but Barca typically conceded less goals per season than Juve with Platini-Boniek, in a league with 20% more games and where teams regularly conceded a lot more goals... all the while scoring for fun.

I agree the individual quality of your defenders is better than his but that Barca side was harder to score against than that Juve side, no matter how many times Gaz orgasms seeing Torres run the length of the pitch solo with Barca camped around the box and desperately pushing for a goal. That was a rarity, not the norm.
The team this current formation is based on, Bayern's current super team, presented Dortmund with as many chances in the first half of their recent encounter as they themselves created through dominating possession. If both sides had taken their chances, the score line could have been 3-3 at half time.

This back 3 plus Biscuits/Lahm against Platini, Boniek, Baggio, Batigol (and Cabirini at times) would simply not hold up. It would be the same exact situation of the opposition creating a very good goal scoring chance with every single attack.

In any case I do think harms is much more better off with a proper 352 now. Dropping either Boniek or Baggio for a RWB

The Red Viper

Supports
Liverpool
So, on a lucky counter it can be Boniek-Platini-Cabrini-Batistuta-Baggio against Busquets-Abidal-Puyol-Boateng?
It's fair to say that Boniek will outran Lahm if they start at the same position (which they will, judging by this formation) and Robben, who really upped his defensive game under Pep's guidance, still won't chase Cabrini back to his own box.

I won't say that it will be everytime, but even if it will be only three or four of those players, let alone all of them, running at Busquets and co, it will still be a disaster.

You are simply showing one video where they had a bad game and lost. Every teams has bad games where they lose. Its not like Trap's Juve dominated Europe or something or were invincible. Even in the European Cup final they won against Liverpool, a Liverpool side without Souness and Kenny Dalglish past his peak, gave them a tough game. They didn't have a dynasty like Madrid in 50s, Michel's Ajax, Bayern of 70s, Liverpool of late 70s and early 80s, Sacchi's Milan or Pep's Barca. It was a great side but it had its faults like any great side including the ones I mentioned above.

harms

Staff
First and foremost - my defence is based on an earlier Juve, not a Boniek-Platini one, as I stated many times. It had Furino instead of Bonini, which was very important, and they had a backline of Cabrini-Gentile-Scirea-Cuccureddu - and I have upgraded Cuccureddu with Bergomi.

Their stats: Average lost goal per game in Series A : 0.67, Clean Sheet Ratio : 0.52 (78 /150)

Second - this is a much, much more potent in attack team than that Juve. Boniek played as an ala destra regularly, though his best performances came from a №11 position. But I have Roberto Baggio and Batistuta up there, supplied/joined by Platini - Barca never faced anything remotely as threatening in their times. And Baggio and Batistuta are used to make runs from the half-line.

antohan

The team this current formation is based on, Bayern's current super team, presented Dortmund with as many chances in the first half of their recent encounter as they themselves created through dominating possession. If both sides had taken their chances, the score line could have been 3-3 at half time.
Assuming this is the current Bayern side is just mental. The core of this team is quite clearly the Barca one, both in midfield and upfront, you just have Boateng as an upgrade on Pique and Lahm as a left-flank-more defensive version of Dani Alves. If anything, it is more defensively robust. In the only way it isn't is Robben's directness not being in line with the ball hogging... but then you have the problem of Robben's directness first and foremost.

This back 3 plus Biscuits/Lahm against Platini, Boniek, Baggio, Batigol (and Cabirini at times) would simply not hold up.
They need to get the ball first, which was always the trick. Eventually they will score, agreed, which is why I think it's 3-2 to TRV.

harms

Staff
You are simply showing one video where they had a bad game and lost. Every teams has bad games where they lose. Its not like Trap's Juve dominated Europe or something or were invincible. Even in the European Cup final they won against Liverpool, a Liverpool side without Souness and Kenny Dalglish past his peak, gave them a tough game. They didn't have a dynasty like Madrid in 50s, Michel's Ajax, Bayern of 70s, Liverpool of late 70s and early 80s, Sacchi's Milan or Pep's Barca. It was a great side but it had its faults like any great side including the ones I mentioned above.
Of course it had, and the main was, actually, goalscoring - they didn't had the right personnel earlier, though their defensive peak came before their European success. But this isn't Juventus side - this is a side from two Juventuses, actually, from the late 70's and from the first half of 80's (Platini's and Boniek's one), with 3 GOAT players added on the problematic positions.

The main concern with Barca was, always, it's defence. You improved it with Lahm and Boateng, and you also lost Alves, who was crucial for this side, due to his unique role in their system, but Lahm can do it okay while being a significantly better defender, so no worries here. But Abidal, Puyol and Boateng are still a concern - they maybe won't be in a real game, but they would never face the attacking unit of Platini, Baggio and Batistuta in real life.

antohan

First and foremost - my defence is based on an earlier Juve, not a Boniek-Platini one, as I stated many times. It had Furino instead of Bonini, which was very important, and they had a backline of Cabrini-Gentile-Scirea-Cuccureddu - and I have upgraded Cuccureddu with Bergomi.

Their stats: Average lost goal per game in Series A : 0.67, Clean Sheet Ratio : 0.52 (78 /150)
I agree on Furino being a good call and that pre-82 Juve had a better defensive record. But then, Serie A was shit pre-82 so it isn't at all surprising. Juve were a far, far, FAR more defensive side offering very little going forward and the league was largely a mediocre domestic league with no one, absolutely no one, anywhere near the calibre of Messi/Robben/Eto'o/Iniesta and so on. Post-82 the influx of great players started, not just for Juve but every single other team, it was a completely different league and a far more competitive one.

Again, can't have you cake and eat it. "I want the pre-82 miserly defensive record and the post-82 pizzaz going forward". It just doesn't work that way I'm afraid.

harms

Staff
In any case I do think harms is much more better off with a proper 352 now. Dropping either Boniek or Baggio for a RWB
You're probably right, judging by how the game goes, but I will still have to think about that.