Manchester City banned from CL for 2 seasons and fined 30 million euros | CAS - Ban lifted, fined 10 million

_00_deathscar

Supports
Liverpool
Citys 4 titles would be split 2 each to Utd and Liverpool. Can’t see it happening but I would laugh my bollocks off at City if it did. Imagine them losing the “Aguero” title winning moment.

But I read that it’s only the 13/14 one that could be in danger. Probably only social media gossip.
It’s probably just social media gossip but guessing it stems from the fact that the finances in question are from 2012-2016 which only covers the 2013/2014 Man City win.

CognitiveNeuro

If City implodes with Pep leaving etc after the decision, won't Liverpool reach 20 within the next few seasons anyway? They could probably surpass it too as City were the only ones who could realistically challenge them.

Paul_Scholes18

If City implodes with Pep leaving etc after the decision, won't Liverpool reach 20 within the next few seasons anyway? They could probably surpass it too as City were the only ones who could realistically challenge them.
Thus we need to wake up and take it a bit more seriously.

Red Star One

I’m very cautious with all these “oh they dominate this season, they’ll be absolutely unbeatable for next few years”.
People said same after first title of City under Pep, I remember multiple pundits mentioning potential back to back trebles and unseen domination.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
We all start from zero points next season mate.

sglowrider

Thinks the caf is 'wokeish'.
I wonder if anyone outside Manchester has heard this news yet.
Manchester City’s battle with Uefa has backfired – but their war has only just begun
Uefa have no illusions about the gravity of this showdown. Defeat would not only leave Financial Fair Play in ruins but the organisation’s moral authority trashed

How did Manchester City get into this mess? It is obvious how it started. The reigning champions tried to disguise direct payments from Sheikh Mansour, the owner, by inflating the sponsorship provided by Etihad airlines.

The two-season ban from the Champions League and €30 million fine is unlikely to be the end of it. A series of appeals will dominate the immediate future and overshadow the rest of the campaign and beyond. City should have seen this coming.

What caused things to spiral out of control was the club’s attitude to Uefa and the financial fair play rules. City’s policy was aggressive, sneering denial. They were convinced that they could stare down European football’s governing body and win. The contempt was summed up in the Football Leaks emails published by Der Spiegel, the German magazine.

One internal communication by Simon Cliff, the Etihad’s in-house lawyer, said that Khaldoon al-Mubarak, the chairman, warned Gianni Infantino, then Uefa’s general secretary and now president of Fifa, that City would not accept a sanction for exceeding the allowed €45m losses in 2012 and 2013. According to Cliff, Khaldoon told Infantino: “He would rather spend 30 million on the 50 best lawyers in the world to sue [Uefa] for the next 10 years.”

No room for compromise there. There was worse to come. One of the focuses of City’s anger is the investigatory chamber (IC), the body that looks into breaches of the financial rules. When Cliff’s reaction to the death of Jean-Luc Dehaene, a former chair of the IC, was made public, shock waves went through Nyon: “1 down, 6 to go,” the lawyer wrote. It sent a chill down the spines of the members of the committee. No one likes to hear anyone is wishing them dead.

Uefa became convinced that City were bent on destroying the organisation and that the resources and power of Abu Dhabi would be employed to that end. The war was on.

Uefa have no illusions about the gravity of this showdown. The ruling body are fully aware that it is not taking on a mere football club but a country. Abu Dhabi’s resources are mindboggling. The law and accountancy firms working for Nyon do not expect to get work in the Gulf in the foreseeable future. This made it vital that Uefa picked a battle it believed it could win. Defeat would not only leave Financial Fair Play in ruins but the organisation’s moral authority trashed.

Last edited:

manc4red

Im seeing on twitter and forums that City fans truly believe they are not wrong. They believe Uefa is the corrupt one and has an agenda against them.

Truly tragic times if the blue side of Manchester can’t see the blatant cheating on display here

GlastonSpur

Also disliked on an Aston Villa forum
Supports
Spurs
Man. City - financial cheaters and dopers - should be relegated to non-league football.

tentan

Poor man's poster.
I have a feeling the ban will be suspended or reduced to one year

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
I’m not sure the benefit of City getting the ban postponed. What benefit do they get from delaying the ban, as I’ve seen written a lot? If they are to be banned, just get it over with.

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
Listening to 606 tonight and the first caller wants City banned from UEFA competitions "for life" and the next caller wants City to take the case to the European Court of Justice and do it for England (yes, really) and that unlike the Real Madrids and the like City have actually made a profit in the last 5 years (he probably doesn't understand the case).

Is 606 always this stupid?

MikeKing

Supports
Bournemouth
I'm quite confident City will lose the appeal. It'd be quite the PR loss for UEFA if City would win the appeal so I'm sure UEFA have thought this through.
Yeah. It's not like City just have arrived. Their intentions has been well documented, and isn't even that relevant to football. Going against the national interest of a country is huge. As reported, it would make sense that this isn't a premature reaction but a calculated move after a long history of wrong-doing by City. I mean, it is no secret money rules the world to the point even rules aren't rules if you have it. It is almost accepted by regular folks and peasants like us just because we can't do anything about it, but we all hope that some kind of moral standards can be upheld of our leaders. This could be it. Or, it could just be a quick power fight before corruption turns into cooperation. However, the public shouldn't allow anything other than hard action on this matter. It would send a strong message and set a precedent about corruption and power abuse in football. It should never be accepted.

CognitiveNeuro

I’m very cautious with all these “oh they dominate this season, they’ll be absolutely unbeatable for next few years”.
People said same after first title of City under Pep, I remember multiple pundits mentioning potential back to back trebles and unseen domination.
I agree with you and said be cautious when people were bigging up Pep's City that season. But I knew Liverpool were on the rise and could challenge them during that time (Liverpool beat them 5-1 in the CL that same season)

At this point who could seriously challenge Liverpool next season if City implodes? Spurs? Chelsea?

rollingstoned1

Actually big clubs with worldwide fanbases are less likely to go under since they can tap into additional revenue streams. This will take a long time to "vanish". I bet if you ask fans of Pompey or Blackburn which option they would rather have you would get very different responses.
which is precisely why most fans of the sort of teams you mentioned were and still are against FFP!

NewGlory

United make me feel dirty. And not in a sexy way.
I agree with you and said be cautious when people were bigging up Pep's City that season. But I knew Liverpool were on the rise and could challenge them during that time (Liverpool beat them 5-1 in the CL that same season)

At this point who could seriously challenge Liverpool next season if City implodes? Spurs? Chelsea?
Anybody can. This is football, and it is EPL. A strong showing in one season is not a guarantee for anything the next one. More often than not winners are unable to repeat it the next season. Unless they are cheating a-holes like City and they stack up 3 teams worth of players.

Next season everybody starts from zero points and anybody can win. Could even be Leicester. No need for unnecessary panic and drama.

CognitiveNeuro

Anybody can. This is football, and it is EPL. A strong showing in one season is not a guarantee for anything the next one. More often than not winners are unable to repeat it the next season. Unless they are cheating a-holes like City and they stack up 3 teams worth of players.

Next season everybody starts from zero points and anybody can win. Could even be Leicester. No need for unnecessary panic and drama.
Well true, yeah that's a possibility. I seriously believe it's more probable they get 20 (since they already have 19 this season) than not under Klopp in the next few though.

shaky

I’m not sure the benefit of City getting the ban postponed. What benefit do they get from delaying the ban, as I’ve seen written a lot? If they are to be banned, just get it over with.
Would be funny if their attempt to delay the ban resulted in delaying a league point deduction too, so instead of losing some meaningless points this season, they end up screwing themselves over for next season.

Pughnichi

Bluemoon posters discussing how they can avoid the ban/fine.

If it was us...knowing we had cheated, would you be graceful about it or want the club to fight it?

Appals me to think that because the evidence can perhaps be pulled apart they believe they can get away with it...when even the most hardened City fan probably knows what’s been going on

marukomu

The Gatekeeper
I'm surprised more home opposition fans aren't chanting 'cheats' at every game. I hope it starts. It could be fun watching them collapse.

Judas

Open to offers
Listening to 606 tonight and the first caller wants City banned from UEFA competitions "for life" and the next caller wants City to take the case to the European Court of Justice and do it for England (yes, really) and that unlike the Real Madrids and the like City have actually made a profit in the last 5 years (he probably doesn't understand the case).

Is 606 always this stupid?
Sounds like an intelligent week compared to how it usually is.

Rado_N

Yaaas Broncos!
One internal communication by Simon Cliff, the Etihad’s in-house lawyer, said that Khaldoon al-Mubarak, the chairman, warned Gianni Infantino, then Uefa’s general secretary and now president of Fifa, that City would not accept a sanction for exceeding the allowed €45m losses in 2012 and 2013. According to Cliff, Khaldoon told Infantino: “He would rather spend 30 million on the 50 best lawyers in the world to sue [Uefa] for the next 10 years.”
I like that he thinks he can pay the “50 best lawyers in the world” £60k per year to work for him.

Buchan

has whacked the hammer to Roswell
Part of me wishes City pull the whole lot down with them to be honest. Football is rotten to the core and very hard to relate to as a working-class fan these days. Corporatist greed has engulfed the game and it’s never, ever going to be the same again unless something industry-defining happens, i.e. a club like City bringing down the house with them on their way.

Ticket prices, merchandise, television subscriptions, far-flung locations hosting domestic games... the average fan is the last person to be considered in these decisions and football is only a 24/7 money-making venture these days.

Last edited:

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
Does anyone know if the £30m fine cuts further into their FFP calculated finances?

Also, I‘ve seen people suggesting that they are likely to use their wealth to tie UEFA up in expensive legal battle, surely this would have to be considered club funds too?

diawl_coch

Buchan, if City end up in League 1 again if the owners pull out, the competitive nature of football will soon see them replaced by someone else. They wouldn't really be missed.

Buchan

has whacked the hammer to Roswell
Buchan, if City end up in League 1 again if the owners pull out, the competitive nature of football will soon see them replaced by someone else. They wouldn't really be missed.
Absolutely. They are a nothing, provincial club whom struck gold with their owners. Nothing remarkable about them or their history at all.

However, I feel my point still stands. City aren’t the only club to encourage this new-age football industry. There’s a good case for United accelerating this transformation too as we were industry pioneers for generating income. We, like Madrid, Barcelona, Juventus, Bayern etc., are behemoths of the footballing world and our wealth, fame and success is organic but there’s no doubt we have our hands dirty, too.

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
Manchester City’s battle with Uefa has backfired – but their war has only just begun
Uefa have no illusions about the gravity of this showdown. Defeat would not only leave Financial Fair Play in ruins but the organisation’s moral authority trashed

How did Manchester City get into this mess? It is obvious how it started. The reigning champions tried to disguise direct payments from Sheikh Mansour, the owner, by inflating the sponsorship provided by Etihad airlines.

The two-season ban from the Champions League and €30 million fine is unlikely to be the end of it. A series of appeals will dominate the immediate future and overshadow the rest of the campaign and beyond. City should have seen this coming.

What caused things to spiral out of control was the club’s attitude to Uefa and the financial fair play rules. City’s policy was aggressive, sneering denial. They were convinced that they could stare down European football’s governing body and win. The contempt was summed up in the Football Leaks emails published by Der Spiegel, the German magazine.

No room for compromise there. There was worse to come. One of the focuses of City’s anger is the investigatory chamber (IC), the body that looks into breaches of the financial rules. When Cliff’s reaction to the death of Jean-Luc Dehaene, a former chair of the IC, was made public, shock waves went through Nyon: “1 down, 6 to go,” the lawyer wrote. It sent a chill down the spines of the members of the committee. No one likes to hear anyone is wishing them dead.

Uefa became convinced that City were bent on destroying the organisation and that the resources and power of Abu Dhabi would be employed to that end. The war was on.

Uefa have no illusions about the gravity of this showdown. The ruling body are fully aware that it is not taking on a mere football club but a country. Abu Dhabi’s resources are mindboggling. The law and accountancy firms working for Nyon do not expect to get work in the Gulf in the foreseeable future. This made it vital that Uefa picked a battle it believed it could win. Defeat would not only leave Financial Fair Play in ruins but the organisation’s moral authority trashed.
Scummy scummy club. Look forward to the day they crumble to dust.

RoyH1

Scummy scummy club. Look forward to the day they crumble to dust.
The arrogance of the Sheikhs is mind boggling. I wouldn’t be surprised if they went after CAS too, if and when then get their ban confirmed. Unlimited funds in this crazy ultra liberal, lawyer dominated world. This is going to go on for years.