Manchester City banned from CL for 2 seasons and fined 30 million euros | CAS - Ban lifted, fined 10 million

Mart1974

harbours delusions of insignificance
How so?
If this is a Heysel reference, it’s a straw man argument
Not really a straw man. Liverpool's fans had all English clubs banned for 5 years. Not sure they should be trying to occupy the high ground on a ban.

sglowrider

Thinks the caf is 'wokeish'.
The arrogance of the Sheikhs is mind boggling. I wouldn’t be surprised if they went after CAS too, if and when then get their ban confirmed. Unlimited funds in this crazy ultra liberal, lawyer dominated world. This is going to go on for years.
Nouveau-riche mentality plus they are used to getting things their way.

Inigo Montoya

Leave Wayne Rooney alone!!
Not really a straw man. Liverpool's fans had all English clubs banned for 5 years. Not sure they should be trying to occupy the high ground on a ban.
It is when it's irrelevant to this point in question. I doubt if any Liverpool fan is trying to occupy the 'high ground' as you say. Just because a tragedy occurred in 1985 does not preclude Liverpool fans having an opinion on the City issue

I'd stay off the Heysel argument if I were you...just friendly advice

United Hobbit

I can see them overturning it, too much power and money at that club

IF the article about their players being able to go for free is true or even if they do remain banned from the CL I hope we are straight away contacting the likes of KDB etc trying to sign them. I'd even jump at getting Aguero despite his age and injury record. We wont though we will delay as usual and the likes of Chelsea/ Real etc will end up with them

YNWAManUnited

Wait what? Is a plausible outcome that Liverpool gets the 13-14 title and we don't get the 11-12? So they gain one on us plus wins this year and equal our tally? And Gerrard gets a prem title?

That is not good news.

GlastonSpur

Also disliked on an Aston Villa forum
Supports
Spurs
It makes me all the more appreciate Levy and his infrastructure investment.

Money can fall into football - and then out again - with the cheating sugar-daddies, but Spurs are set up fair and square for the long-term.

sglowrider

Thinks the caf is 'wokeish'.

Money can fall into football - and then out again - with the cheating sugar-daddies, but Spurs are set up fair and square for the long-term.
Especially with all the silverware to boot.

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout

Good work turning this into a positive for the Spurs stadium

Giggsyking

so Liverpool will have 2 PL titles at the end of the year.
I take it back. Dont ban City!

BusterGonads

Supports
Liverpool
Gulf billionaires doing what they want regardless of the consequences shock. It's just what they do. When they grow up without restraint or control it's no surprise they act like they do when they become adults. Look at Saudi's MBS. They think they can buy anything including their way out of trouble and if they don't get their way they start the bellicosity and threats. This is just how they act over there, I know, my mum comes from that part of the world and being notoriously thin-skinned, was always making threats to anyone who crossed her. It's who they are

The fact is that they were charged with some offences. They claim to have '200 pages of irrefutable proof' but as pertaining to the emails detailing how Etihad is only responsible for delivering £8m of the £65m sponsorship, they only need one. The reply to the original email making the correction that Etihad IS responsible for the entire £65m. Clearly they don't have this or else it would have been provided at an earlier stage and we wouldn't be here. Was it taken out of context then? Probably not, the emails were as self-explanatory as can be so don't see how 200 pages are going to muddy the waters to create enough ambiguity over them

City knew they were bang to rights from the beginning. I knew they didn't have a case as soon as they started mouthing off and shooting the messengers (the hacker, Pinto, and Der Spiegel). They have been dragged kicking and screaming and that is how I imagine they will go down. There is a common view that the two year ban will be reduced to one at CAS and if this happens, City might be able to live with that. Some of the players will be happy at City, kids settled at school and there will be a degree of loyalty to City so they might be able to ride a one year ban however in order for this to happen City will have to stand down to some extent, apologise and express remorse. This just ain't gonna happen. This isn't what they do over there

If City continues to pursue a hostile approach into and perhaps beyond CAS, ie with a case that lacks merit, aggressive, that seeks to discredit the UEFA independant committee (made up of distinguished and eminent lawyers) to another bunch of distinguished and eminent lawyers...they will get no succour. Lawyers are human too and whilst they rule strictly on a legal basis there will be plenty of grey area where personal opinion can influence decision making, bit like VAR. Was it a handball? Erm, maybe, who was the player involved? TAA? No, we like him, arm was close enough to the body. Accidental!

If City don't row back I think the 2 year ban will hold, fines will be increased, they will incur the enduring hostility of UEFA and it will end the City project in the medium term. Players aside, it couldn't happen to a nicer bunch of people

Yagami

Good post resistant
So which players will try and get out of their contracts?
I'm not hopeful that any of the big'uns will want out. Didn't they miss out on CL a few years ago yet they still managed to keep Silva, Aguero, Kompany, etc? Or am I misremembering? I think I am, to be honest!

Djemba-Djemba

I'm not hopeful that any of the big'uns will want out. Didn't they miss out on CL a few years ago yet they still managed to keep Silva, Aguero, Kompany, etc? Or am I misremembering? I think I am, to be honest!
Yeah they've made the CL every year since 2011 sadly.

OverratedOpinion

Can someone answer this as I was thinking about it earlier but don't know all the finances involved. Assuming this all sticks and they have to contend with the fine plus loss of Champions League revenue, can they actually still afford to retain their wage bill without creating further imaginary sponsors and end up in more hot water?

Yagami

Good post resistant
Yeah they've made the CL every year since 2011 sadly.
Oops, my bad. I think I was thinking of the season where we finished level on points with them but they clinched 4th due to a better goal difference.

Feed Me

I'm hungry
The good thing is whatever happens now, whether upheld or not, every trophy City win or have won is tainted. No money going to fix that.

City team should be laughed at, at every away ground. The humiliation would be fantastic.
It was tainted irrespective.

Lee565

If United were to get awarded the premier league from Mourinho's 2nd season in charge would it change how fans view Mourinho's stay at our club? I mean he did bring up the fact that it was hard to compete with man city because they were able to splash like 120 million on just fullbacks and we now know (it was never in doubt really) that they were bending the financial rules to allow pep to go crazy in the transfer market.

It would make Woodward look even more inept than he already does look if it turns he got rid of a Mourinho half a season after winning the league and we ended up no better off positionally from sacking him.

Grande

If United were to get awarded the premier league from Mourinho's 2nd season in charge would it change how fans view Mourinho's stay at our club? I mean he did bring up the fact that it was hard to compete with man city because they were able to splash like 120 million on just fullbacks and we now know (it was never in doubt really) that they were bending the financial rules to allow pep to go crazy in the transfer market.

It would make Woodward look even more inept than he already does look if it turns he got rid of a Mourinho half a season after winning the league and we ended up no better off positionally from sacking him.
If Woodward fired or kept Mourinho on the basis of how well City were doing, he would be stupid.

pauldyson1uk

Would not want it on our record to be honest, and to be honest would not change my views on Mourinho.
Money trouble or not, they won it on the pitch.

Random Task

WW Lynchpin
I wonder how much a £30 million fine and no CL football for two seasons will impact City financially.

Without cooking the books, can they afford to cover squad salaries? Not to mention the non-playing staff and other club associates.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
Isn't the key difference that City got hacked? Who knows what skulduggery PSG have been up to behind the scenes.
That is my take too

It's less about what the club did or didn't do and more about it becoming public

Cutch

Northern Ireland. Stretty W3102, Row 2, Seat 129
I wonder how much a £30 million fine and no CL football for two seasons will impact City financially.

Without cooking the books, can they afford to cover squad salaries? Not to mention the non-playing staff and other club associates.
Think it will be a major issue trying to comply with FFP in the future. Champions league is a big portion of their revenue

They are already paying Pep and players through shell companies, they’ll just do it even more.

City will have no issues keeping players, just as they never have, cause massive money talks.

marukomu

The Gatekeeper
I'm not sure if that news the other day about the friendly tournament is true, but there is £500m prize money straight away.

Chicharito_

I don't see how they can get out of this one, looking at the figures they have cheated so evidently it really is disgraceful. The amount of money Man City would make without their corrupt sponsorship deals is about 30% of what their current figures are.

To be sponsored by their owners brands just so they could pump £billions into the club is such a clear breach of FFP, I don't know how they think they could get away with it, I guess they just thought they could pay the right people off and hope UEFA wouldn't dare do something like this. The problem for City is that they can't just go back to that model of getting oil money pumped into the club so how can they compete doing it organically like other clubs, they can't.

horsechoker

The Caf's Roy Keane.
Can someone answer this as I was thinking about it earlier but don't know all the finances involved. Assuming this all sticks and they have to contend with the fine plus loss of Champions League revenue, can they actually still afford to retain their wage bill without creating further imaginary sponsors and end up in more hot water?
I'd imagine not if they wanted to follow the law. If the club were run within their means they'd probably be a mid to top half team.

B20

HEY EVERYONE I IGNORE SOMEONE LOOK AT ME
Supports
Liverpool

So this just happened:

"SHOCK NEWS AS CITY ARE FOUND GUILTY OF COOKING THE BOOKS AND BANNED FOR TWO YEARS FROM EUROPE"

Glaston: "Well, only goes to show how well spurs have done with their new stadium."

Random Task

WW Lynchpin
Think it will be a major issue trying to comply with FFP in the future. Champions league is a big portion of their revenue
They are already paying Pep and players through shell companies, they’ll just do it even more.

City will have no issues keeping players, just as they never have, cause massive money talks.
I looked it up. The following link provides some insight into their financial situation if the ban is upheld:

https://www.forbes.com/sites/sergei...their-uefa-champions-league-ban/#42e5079e5587

padr81

Supports
Man City

Its a tough one to call. Honestly I'd expect to see 2 or 3 big earners leave after the CAS decision (more if we get relegated and how far down we get thrown). I think Sterling would be the first to jump to be honest. It very much depends on whether the players were allowed to walk for free for breach of contract too. If they are not I'd suspect Sterling and KDB would bring in well over £200m alone. If they can leave on a free I'd expect a mass exodus and us naturally ending up pretty much back where we were in 2007/2008.

GlastonSpur

Also disliked on an Aston Villa forum
Supports
Spurs
So this just happened:

"SHOCK NEWS AS CITY ARE FOUND GUILTY OF COOKING THE BOOKS AND BANNED FOR TWO YEARS FROM EUROPE"

Glaston: "Well, only goes to show how well spurs have done with their new stadium."
I didn't say that it's the only thing it shows (I've already said that that City's punishment should be more severe), but is one thing that it shows … namely that sugar-daddy money is unreliable and what's here today may be gone tomorrow (in this case as a result of penalties imposed due to cheating), whereas the £1 billion invested by Levy in infrastructure - and funded from our own earned resources - will pay financial dividends for many decades into the future.