Manchester City banned from CL for 2 seasons and fined 30 million euros | CAS - Ban lifted, fined 10 million

harshad

Play the odds, not the man - Poor man's Harvey
Scout
On a long road that returns to Old Trafford!!!
Charges not established or timebarred.

Would have thought that limitation would run from the moment any information which was not disclosed by City came to light and therefore would not have been time-barred.

Berbasbullet

Too Boring For A Funny Tagline
I wonder what that man city fan that keeps saying if the ban is overturned they're proved innocent will say now? Your club is pure scum mate, still found guilty, not even a football club anymore. Everything you win has an asterix.

Infra-red

So the court of arbitration has decided that they are guilty of all charges but they only need to pay 10 million quid.
Not quite. CAS ruled that most of the alleged breaches reported by UEFA were either not established or time-barred.

JohnnyKills

So basically the body has concluded that they failed to co-operate with the authorities (which hardly paints them in a good light) and that they did breach the rules but they were time-barred - so they happened too long ago.

Well that's fine then.

Have to wonder how the established big clubs - United, Liverpool, Barca, RM etc - will react to this. Surely it's time to start talking about a super league with proper financial regulation. Clubs like City are terrible for everyone except themselves.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
For every one on about FFP, this case wasn't actually about that was it. That was dealt with years ago in a previous fine.

Jazz

Just in case anyone missed it. I don't like Mount.
CAS has completely undermined UEFA and their rules. Does that mean every other club can do what they want knowing CAS will overturn or just fine you a few million?

I could understand them not upholding a two year ban, but nothing at all?

Zen86

Football is corrupt, who'd have thunk it.

I wonder what other rules are there to be flouted.. perhaps City will tell FIFA and UEFA to shove their rules around ineligible players up their arse as well.

neilv93

I'm honestly not sure what the point in fining them €10m when there is so clearly no regard for spending as it hahaha. Either way, no surprise and UEFA, FFP and now CAS are absolutely farcical. Bad news for us but saying that, it's in our hands to get CL football via our on-pitch performances anyway.

GwilDor

So, guess UEFA should just dismantle FFP then. Proven time and time again not to regulate as intended. Dunno where they should go from here tbh, if they want to keep trying to regulate this at all.

Compton22

Knows that he knows nothing.
So because it happened years ago, there should be no punishment for it?

Relfy

Go get shagged. What an utter farce. Every decision UEFA now make will just be appealed and overturned. Zero credibility.

Jazz

Well this sets a precedent so clubs who can afford it, will just do as they please.

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
I'm honestly not sure what the point in fining them €10m when there is so clearly no regard for spending as it hahaha. Either way, no surprise and UEFA, FFP and now CAS are absolutely farcical. Bad news for us but saying that, it's in our hands to get CL football via our on-pitch performances anyway.
UEFA did its thing, the CAS is clearly corrupt here

sun_tzu

The Art of Bore
Why do they have to pay 10 million if they did nothing wrong
Its in the media release
https://www.tas-cas.org/fileadmin/user_upload/CAS_Media_Release_6785_Decision.pdf
Following the hearing, the CAS Panel deliberated and concluded that the decision issued on 14 February 2020 by the Adjudicatory Chamber of the CFCB should be set aside and replaced by the following:

a.) MCFC has contravened Article 56 of the Club Licensing and Financial Fair Play Regulations.
b.) MCFC shall pay a fine of EUR 10,000,000 to the UEFA, within 30 days as from the date of issuance of the arbitral award. The CAS award emphasized that most of the alleged breaches reported by the Adjudicatory Chamber of the CFCB were either not established or time-barred.

As the charges with respect to any dishonest concealment of equity funding were clearly more significant violations than obstructing the CFCB’s investigations, it was not appropriate to impose a ban on participating in UEFA’s club competitions for MCFC’s failure to cooperate with the CFCB’s investigations alone.
However, considering
i) the financial resources of MCFC;
ii) the importance of the cooperation of clubs in investigations conducted by the CFCB, because of its limited investigative means; and
iii) MCFC’s disregard of such principle and its obstruction of the investigations, the CAS Panel found that a significant fine should be imposed on MCFC and considered it appropriate to reduce UEFA’s initial fine by 2/3, i.e. to the amount of EUR 10 million.

The final award with reasons will be published on the CAS website in a few days.

JB08

Searches for nude pics of Marcos Rojo
I wonder what that man city fan that keeps saying if the ban is overturned they're proved innocent will say now? Your club is pure scum mate, still found guilty, not even a football club anymore. Everything you win has an asterix.
In fairness they were (dubiously) proved innocent of the accusation, just fined for not cooperating.

Regardless, I’m certain this is absolutely corrupt and an utter joke.

Guy Incognito

CAS has completely undermined UEFA and their rules. Does that mean every other club can do what they want knowing CAS will overturn or just fine you a few million?

I could understand them not upholding a two year ban, but nothing at all?
A lot of clubs will just follow the City blueprint, if victimised just take it to the big courts.

Untied

This is Article 56 btw that CAS have said they have contravened -
Yeah this is particularly crazy.

Essentially CAS admits City deliberately mislead UEFA in the previous investigation, but then states that the FFP offences are time barred because of that previous investigation (which came to the wrong conclusions because of City’s misrepresentations) and so they can only punish them for the article 56 failure. It’s nuts.

flappyjay

So basically the body has concluded that they failed to co-operate with the authorities (which hardly paints them in a good light) and that they did breach the rules but they were time-barred - so they happened too long ago.

Well that's fine then.

Have to wonder how the established big clubs - United, Liverpool, Barca, RM etc - will react to this. Surely it's time to start talking about a super league with proper financial regulation. Clubs like City are terrible for everyone except themselves.
If it keeps happening, I can see they big boys breaking away

Kasper

Supports
Hansa Rostock / Bradford City
" The CAS award emphasized that most of the alleged breaches reported by the Adjudicatory Chamber of the CFCB were either not established or time-barred. [...] However, considering i) the financial resources of MCFC; ii) the importance of the cooperation of clubs in investigations conducted by the CFCB, because of its limited investigative means; and iii) MCFC’s disregard of such principle and its obstruction of the investigations, the CAS Panel foundthat a significant fine should be imposed on MCFC[...]"

I`m not a lawyer, but these two don`t make City sound innocent at all. So CAS is saying that city obstructed the investigation but their conclusion is that this is only worth a fine? Hmm, sounds very questionable

Barnslig

fecking Ballbag on Norwegian telly sucking City's dick. feck me I hate that guy with a passion.

Jazz

Probably silly question but can UEFA not do anything at all? CAS has totally undermined them. How can UEFA's rules be followed under such circumstances?

Rooney24

Following the hearing, the CAS Panel deliberated and concluded that the decision issued on 14 February 2020 by the Adjudicatory Chamber of the CFCB should be set aside and replaced by the following:

a.) MCFC has contravened Article 56 of the Club Licensing and Financial Fair Play Regulations.
b.) MCFC shall pay a fine of EUR 10,000,000 to the UEFA, within 30 days as from the date of issuance of the arbitral award.
So the CAS (under a) above) still state CIty broke FFP but overturn the ban and reduce the fine.

What a joke.

sparx99

I still think FFP has its place in encouraging clubs to run at a profit. The problem is that the big European clubs used it as a tool to stop rich owners investing. I’d keep the rules somewhat similar but allow unlimited owner investment to cover any losses. Currently owners are restricted to £15m. The only caveat is that it has to be a gift from the owner to the club and not a loan. For years Chelsea showed loans of like £800m from Abramovich.
This way all clubs would be encouraged to make a profit but if wealthy owners want to spend their money trying to catch the better teams they can with no risk of leaving the clubs bankrupt afterwards.