Manchester City banned from CL for 2 seasons and fined 30 million euros | CAS - Ban lifted, fined 10 million

Untied

No, it is worded fine, you're just misinterpreting it. When they say time-barred, they mean UEFA do not have the jurisdiction to investigate anyway. The legitimacy of the breaches becomes immaterial to CAS as they've already concluded UEFA cannot act on it. That's the point - UEFA could not build a credible case even if City cooperated, as they are rendered powerless by their own rules. Now, at CAS, what City have clearly done is proven that (a) UEFA are time-barred, and (b) the substance of much of their claims was incorrect. Hence the headline: 'MANCHESTER CITY FC DID NOT DISGUISE EQUITY FUNDING AS SPONSORSHIP CONTRIBUTIONS'. That is not 'time-barred', that is quite unequivocally saying UEFA's charges in that regard are untrue. But as I said, I don't expect people on a Manchester United forum to pay much attention to the facts of the case.

Yes, cooperating with UEFA and CAS is very different - one is an independent body, the other is not. The independent one ruled in favour of City, the other did not.
Given that the most important allegations fall beyond the 5 year timescale they have probably only done (a). Again, we won't know until the full judgement is out but it seems entirely likely that City have managed to distort UEFA's reporting period into a statute of limitations, and that is all that they have succeeded in doing to 'prove their innocence'

BobbyManc

Supports
Man City
It's terribly worded... I may know nothing about legal stuff, but I work with press releases as part of my job everyday, and a good press release is headline or two, and then the rest of the statement backs up /enforces that headline(s) .

The body of this press release does nothing to back up that statement and instead says things to question it - like the part that I quoted - which DOES mention things either being time barred or unable to be proven.

Also the CAS and UEFA investigations were totally different... UEFA wanted info to enforce /build their case, whilst CAS would only require info based on what UEFA had. Surely you can see the cooperation with CAS would require a different type/level of involvement?

This totally gets away from my original point, which is that UEFA will find it nearly impossible to prosecute any club of breaching FFP from now on as clubs won't fully cooperate with their investigations going forward (unless they change the rules that force them to do so - which might happen)
It's a legal document, and you confess you know nothing about legal stuff, so your opinion of how it is worded hardly holds any weight. It's incomparable to a normal press release for a start, you're comparing apples and oranges. It's drafted by legal experts and it is worded perfectly in that regard, it may well not be worded perfectly for a layman like you or I to digest but that would be to fundamentally mistake its purpose.

If it was as simple as 'not cooperating', why has every single other club punished by UEFA - including City in the past - not tried it? Because it only works if UEFA's case is not viable from the start. When it is, as when City were punished in 2014, then the club will cooperate and try to reach a settlement. Which City did, and part of the settlement meant that City gave UEFA access to all of its relevant records needed to assess the ongoing period up until 2017, at which point UEFA were happy with what they saw and allowed City to exit the settlement.

People are desperate to make apocalyptic conclusions about what this means for FFP, but nothing has changed. The case has been and always will be that anything UEFA does has to be able stand up in an independent court - do people take issue with this principle? This time it could not. Simple as that. UEFA were clearly influenced by politics and decided to pursue a flimsy case. It would not be a 'victory' for football or FFP if they had been allowed to prevail in that pursuit.

cyberman

I wonder how long it will take for them to not hold back and go full "We have posted record revenue so are bigger than Utd" apparoach?
They teased it last year but they may as well go all in now. Never have i seen media claim we would be knocked off our financial perch before it actually happens.
It was ridiculous.

Offsideagain

Same old blather from Citeh fans bringing up the tired old comments to divert from the facts. City didn’t deny the charge and still got away with it, probably because the bloke that supplied the emails was arrested for hacking Portuguese clubs websites and therefore was unreliable. Second offence and find half of Pep’s salary. They’ll be pissing themselves in Abu Dhabi with laughter. It will be interesting if City show in their accounts how much money they spent on this lark.
Of course, this is the end of UEFA as an organisation with any authority left. They ignored City’s antics until the German clubs pressed them. Mancini was paid two salaries proven by his own mouth. Same old City, arrogant, dodgy and classless.

padr81

Supports
Man City
Wow :lol:

Not guilty is a verdict, not a definate response to whether a crime was committed.
Of course. But it is the only legal system there is right? But that is the way things are. We can all say x and y is guilty but sadly we have to prove it right. I mean I could say your a wum whose failing miserably to wind up City fans because your salty we're proven innocent this morning but that wouldn't make it true. Resorting to childish things like taking sly digs and comparing City fans to Trump supporters but I'd have to prove it, otherwise you'd be innocent.

Fluctuation0161

No. You are not getting it. If UEFA had a credible and strong case, City would have cooperated. Do you think CAS will have said 'well City didn't cooperate, therefore there are no documents to look at, so we're gonna have to find City innocent'.

No, and quite clearly they conclude 'MANCHESTER CITY FC DID NOT DISGUISE EQUITY FUNDING AS SPONSORSHIP CONTRIBUTIONS' i.e. a central charge of UEFA is dismissed. They would not make that conclusion unless they were provided with evidence to the contrary. What will have happened is City will have provided, at CAS, the relevant evidence. CAS will look at that, and make a judgement. They sided with City. Not UEFA. City did not cooperate with UEFA as they did not believe in the legitimacy and the impartiality of the process, and decided to take a risk and put all their eggs in the CAS basket. The idea City didn't cooperate with UEFA then, what, didn't cooperate with their own appeal at CAS? And won?? Come on, that's ridiculous.
To believe this, you would need to believe that Citys owner accidentally lumped all of the money he was investing into City into one bank transfer by accident. Despite the fact it was supposed to come from various companies as sponsorship, companies which he also owns.

The levels of dodgy are off the scale here. It is like Inception with the various layers. :lol:

AshamanKingpin

Supports
Manchester City
It's already been said by many in this thread but this is another nail in the coffin of football. Chelsea and City's (and PSGs) 'achievements' to date will forever have a larger asterisk next to their name than Liverpool's this year. Watch things get even worse now following this absolute shambles of a decision. If Leeds and Newcastle are also going through a plastic / sportswashing transition soon as well the league and football at the top level has well and truly become farcical.
Leaving aside the legitimacy of City’s title wins, I think what a lot of people don’t understand and City understand well is that in the future no one will care how they won, just that they are winners. Sad, but true. Heck, even in the present most new fans don’t care. Look at the battle for fans in developing markets, China, India, Africa. City has a market share of fans that is commensurate with their success And that’s the bottom line, winning attracts admiration. These qualms about financial doping are a concern of the current generation of fans and even to what extent is debatable. The next generation simply wont care as it rich clubs are and will continue to become more of a norm. Part of the reason is that in all aspects of life, they are always the haves and the have not, football is no exception. I know this last statement will be controversial but how did United dominate (being a bit loose here) the EPL before the advent of Chelsea and City? Bigger club, more money, better players, better infrastructure, leading to a competitive advantage and hence more titles. Is City’s case any different, their financial might gives them a competitive advantage like Bayern, Barca, Madrid, etc. If you want fairness, impose a salary cap and its equivalent for transfers. That will even the playing field for all teams. At the end of the day, no team is breaking into the elite for a sustainable period except with heavy investment, that’s what truly bother the powers behind UEFA, these clubs and their historical privileged position are under threat from the newcomers

Anyway, rambled enough.

padr81

Supports
Man City
Seriously, you'll always be corrupt and everyone knows that (except you, obviously). Just enjoy the trophies but stop pretending you're a proper football club anymore.
Except me and CAS too which is much more important.

TrustInOle

Of course. But it is the only legal system there is right? But that is the way things are. We can all say x and y is guilty but sadly we have to prove it right. I mean I could say your a wum whose failing miserably to wind up City fans because your salty we're proven innocent this morning but that wouldn't make it true. Resorting to childish things like taking sly digs and comparing City fans to Trump supporters but I'd have to prove it, otherwise you'd be innocent.
Well it doesn't help when you start making things up to fit your own agenda, very trump supporter like :smirk:

Scriblerus

Am I wrong in thinking that the sponsorship deal in question, and the original documents relating to it, date from 2010 - so with five year deadline in the UEFA rules, anything relating to that would have been ruled inadmissible? So the CAS weren't actually considering the substance of the allegations at all in reaching their verdict? Well, that all seems fine……..:rolleyes:

ivaldo

Mediocre Horse Whisperer, s'up wid chew?
Really, because it says allegations that weren't time barred were proven false..
Not it doesn't. It says there is insufficient evidence. Big difference. And how about those that weren't time barred?

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan
Because CAS have said we're innocent of the charges they looked at. If the emails were deemed evidence enough we'd be banned. What will be interesting really is how many charges were time barred and how many were proven not guilty.
I used to think that this digitally connected world would stop abuses of power but the opposite has happened and we are now treated to even more brazen levels of hypocrisy and corruption (Trump, Khassoggi, Epstein, Andrew .... )

In reality, City are as guilty as Cummings was, but they have 'influenced' the ultimate decision maker, so can now lord it like an emperor wearing no clothes and laugh at everyone else.

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
Doesn't saying unable to be proven mean innocence and back up the headline. I mean that's exactly how people are found not guilty, there is no proof they are guilty. That's exactly how it works...
This guys not a thief because we can't prove he stole anything... I don't understand why the goalposts are moved for City.
Well the line in question says "The CAS award emphasized that most of the alleged breaches reported by the Adjudicatory Chamber of the CFCB were either not established or time-barred"... So the word "most" is an odd one to use as it suggests that some were?

Also if they're stating - in the same press release that breaches were not established (not false, just not established) whilst also stating that City did not comply with their investigations, then it makes you think that one is as a result of the other. Whether it is or not we don't know, but the press release itself does raise that question.

We will only know more when the full report is published.

padr81

Supports
Man City
Quote me please, i've been reading the statement and don't see that comment.
Would you prefer can't be proven, as proven false was indeed a massive over step on my part.

acnumber9

Has he? He showed me a link to Mancini being paid by two organisations. Pretty sure he wasn't a player for one and didnt show any proof he didnt act as an advisor.
You don’t think it’s strange that no City player has agitated for a move since the money came pouring in? Even United, a much more successful club, couldn’t stop Ronaldo wanting to move.

M113FF

Supports
City
So you only read the headline then?

It says that most of the alleged breaches was either not established or time-barred, i.e. in some cases it was established but time-barred and in other cases it was not established. Either the headline is just wrong or they should have added context in the statement that actually backs up the headline. Nothing in the statement implies that they could say with certainty that City did not disguise equity funding as sponsorship contributions.
The "charges" were based on accounts periods 2011/2012 to 2015/16.

2011/2012 to 2012/2013 were both time-barred and also subject to the 2014 settlement agreement which City argued couldn't be re-opened. (We know this from the CAS1 summation published a few months back). Remember the bulk of the leaks covered this period

2014/15-2015/16 would not have been time barred and there were a handful of leaked emails in that period. These were potentially the most incriminating emails and so we can assume there was no proof of disguised equity funding then.

All will become cleared when the summary is published.

Striker10

"Ronaldo and trophies > Manchester United football
Basically I just want to say. You still won't be invited to a super league because you are a blot on the sport and no one cares. Make your own money you shameful hussy. These clubs breed the worst kind of people. Don't expect to be given everything for free and then come here and think we're mugs. Of course it's all dodgy. But you want to have your cake and eat it. Thinking nah mate, everythings all above board. You guys don't even care...

So when the clubs respond, don't cry when no money can get you in.

AshamanKingpin

Supports
Manchester City
The end of the PL as we know it. I detest the prospect of moving to a Euro Super League. This now looks the only way forward. There's now no way to compete with the money & corruption of Abu Dhabi & (soon) the Saudis. There is absolutely nothing to stop them now in their pursuit of destroying the league.

You have to be very concerned about the long term future of the PL. The big broadcasting deals will dry up quicker than a puddle in the Sahara when the likes of Utd & Liverpool leave & the league becomes a Scottish League replica. Hard to imagine people stumping up subscription fees to watch City & Newcastle wallop the likes of Burnley, Palace & Southampton week in week out.
More hyperbole, if we are all honest, there is no way for a team like Aston Villa, for example, to compete with the likes of United. There is no way they are catching up financially to acquire the players they need to challenge you for the title bar a fluke (Leicester). That lack of competition never seem to bother anyone before!

Mr Smith

There, you got your wish. Thanks for the jinx, mate. :lol:
How can we compete with the sugar-daddy clubs now anyway? City just gave everyone a big statement that their money can buy anything. Even FFP bows down to their huge mountain of money.
FFS :lol:

I don't think we have as much to worry about to be fair. Our commercial power means we'll always be one of the richest clubs; I can't see that changing. I'm more worried for football as a whole. It's giving countries like Qatar and Saudi Arabia free license to use football clubs as propaganda tools. They're just going to be encouraged by this.

RedSky

Shepherd’s Delight
Scout
He is having an absolute mare on here :lol: so glad I was born to the red side of Manchester, would hate trying to defend this lot.
If he makes up enough, maybe something will end up being right. :p

I feel for City fans though, they've been given a raw deal really. Get taken over and win trophies but cheat in the process. Anyone with an ounce of morales would find that hard to defend and yet... here we are. I'd be ashamed to be a City fan today because its clear if you read the CAS and UEFA statements that City got off the hook with the 5 year regulation. They cheated and due to a silly loophole got away with it. Don't really blame UEFA in this except for having a dumb ass regulation which clearly needs changing.

ExecutionerWasp001

So you are saying not guilty does not equal not guilty? but its City fans who don't make sense.
Do you know how not guilty works? Its because you can't be proven guilty. If you are not guilty it means legally you didn't commit the crime.
You were only found not guilty due to the allegations being time barred. You are guilty but have escaped justice on a technicality. It's complete stupidity on UEFA's part to institute the 5 year limit.

There is something strange in all this though. I've had Berties at work banging on for years about how the CL doesn't matter & it's all about the PL. They are ecstatic at the moment now they've been allowed back in. Go figure.

padr81

Supports
Man City
Well it doesn't help when you start making things up to fit your own agenda, very trump supporter like :smirk:
CAS have said we are not guilty, you can take digs but that's their verdict. I don't know how that doesn't sink in. Not guilty means not guilty,

Being completely honest I've said on here many times I thought we were guilty as sin but I'm not part of CAS nor does my opinion both before and after this morning matter. I also don't know the details that they do (nor do I know the law as well). I can only take the decision on here and say "Hey I was wrong", same as you.

Rafaeldagold

Except me and CAS too which is much more important.
And that’s fine, The evidence for whatever reason wasn’t enough so congratulations.

Ethically though you must know your club is unbelievably dodgy & that your success only comes from the fact that you’re owned by a nation state?

Honestly City for me are a stain on English football, & I can’t wait til the oil money runs out and this unfairness ends.

Morpheus 7

All you City fans are hilarious in here this afternoon. Thought you lot didn't care about European football anyway. All the legal team chatting ethics in here, joke club with no integrity and no fans.

Withnail

Because CAS have said we're innocent of the charges they looked at. If the emails were deemed evidence enough we'd be banned. What will be interesting really is how many charges were time barred and how many were proven not guilty.

Somebodies angry. A normal person accepts the judgement of the those in the know instead of throwing around random unfounded accusations.

Here's the headline from CAS in case you forgot: MANCHESTER CITY FC DID NOT DISGUISE EQUITY FUNDING AS SPONSORSHIP CONTRIBUTIONS BUT DID FAIL TO COOPERATE WITH THE UEFA AUTHORITIES The bold part is important
They very much did do that though

Inigo Montoya

Leave Wayne Rooney alone!!
What's the best platform to make a petition for all fans of historic clubs to sign and show their owners that they have the backing of us fans to create a non-sheik private League as substitution for CL?
I can see one or two problems with that!:eek:

TrustInOle

If he makes up enough, maybe something will end up being right. :p

I feel for City fans though, they've been given a raw deal really. Get taken over and win trophies but cheat in the process. Anyone with an ounce of morales would find that hard to defend and yet... here we are. I'd be ashamed to be a City fan today because its clear if you read the CAS and UEFA statements that City got off the hook with the 5 year regulation. They cheated and due to a silly loophole got away with it. Don't really blame UEFA in this except for having a dumb ass regulation which clearly needs changing.
Aye, I guess you right, bless their little cotton socks, thinking they are a 'proper club' :smirk: