Manchester City banned from CL for 2 seasons and fined 30 million euros | CAS - Ban lifted, fined 10 million

Speedy30

Liverpool Fan
Supports
Liverpool
Be a farce if they don't even get a year now, not surprised though unfortunately. The Mr Burns legal team and brown envelopes are out:lol:
Brendan Rodgers is delivering said envelopes so I've heard. Has a picture of Citys owners in each one wrapped in a large bundle of notes

crossy1686

career ending
Actually, yes. In certain cases, libel being one, lawyers on both sides are told the verdict 24hrs before it is delivered. They are not allowed to inform their client of the outcome and could be dis-barred if they do but they are certainly told and can then prepare their statements.
Exactly, so they would find out today at the earliest, none of this 4 fecking days in advance nonsense people are spouting in here. Someone will leak the details today or we'll hear the result in the morning.

crossy1686

career ending
https://www.tas-cas.org/en/arbitration/code-procedural-rules.html

Might be useful for some people to read through, particularly the appeal section. Basically stating that they may decide to communicate a decision to both parties prior to the public announcement. However, I don't feel they have done as yet, as it would be being leaked by journalists left right and centre.
If City were exonerated as many in here seem to think so, they would have leaked it the second they received the judgment. They don't do graceful well at all. It would be absolutely everywhere.

RkkMan

Actually, yes. In certain cases, libel being one, lawyers on both sides are told the verdict 24hrs before it is delivered. They are not allowed to inform their client of the outcome and could be dis-barred if they do but they are certainly told and can then prepare their statements.
24 hrs so at the very least today afternoon or evening anyone claiming to know anything now is just talking out of a "hunch" feeling.

BobbyManc

Supports
Man City
If City were exonerated as many in here seem to think so, they would have leaked it the second they received the judgment. They don't do graceful well at all. It would be absolutely everywhere.
That’s odd, I seem to recall CAS taking a dim view of someone leaking information during the investigation, but it wasn’t City...

BobbyManc

Supports
Man City
24 hrs so at the very least today afternoon or evening anyone claiming to know anything now is just talking out of a "hunch" feeling.
After we get the verdict I imagine journalists will be able to say when City & UEFA were first informed of the result and I’d confidently bet that it was before this weekend.

Nikelesh Reddy

Tomorrow’s the big day then!!I”m not really worried about top 4 anymore,I”m supremely confident that we will finish 3rd/4th this season..,But if City get banned from the CL for 2 seasons then that will obviously have a big impact on them.It will definitely help us to close the gap on them,so yeah,tomorrow’s a big day for us as well....Hopefully the 2 year ban will be upheld....

ExecutionerWasp001

If City get banned from the CL for 2 seasons then that will obviously have a big impact on them.It will definitely help us to close the gap on them,so yeah,tomorrow’s a big day for us as well....Hopefully the 2 year ban will be upheld....
Tomorrow is a (pardon the pun) massive day for the PL as a whole. If City lose then it puts an end to the state funded business model. There's no reason for Mansour to stay around if he can't use his money & influence to get what he want's. It will also bring about the added bonus of making the PL much less appealing to the Saudis.

A City win will (in my opinion) bring about the end of the PL as we know it within 5 years. The PL Super Clubs will form a breakaway league with the other big Euro teams. The new PL would then become a copy of the Scottish league with City & Newcastle completely dominating the much lower resourced clubs.

Speedy30

Liverpool Fan
Supports
Liverpool
The 24hrs thing is in a court of law though and CAS may have different protocols. I was just replying to someone that was talking about a court.

padr81

Supports
Man City
Tomorrow is a (pardon the pun) massive day for the PL as a whole. If City lose then it puts an end to the state funded business model. There's no reason for Mansour to stay around if he can't use his money & influence to get what he want's. It will also bring about the added bonus of making the PL much less appealing to the Saudis.

A City win will (in my opinion) bring about the end of the PL as we know it within 5 years. The PL Super Clubs will form a breakaway league with the other big Euro teams. The new PL would then become a copy of the Scottish league with City & Newcastle completely dominating the much lower resourced clubs.
Do you even know what the case is about? Its nothing to do with ending FFP... literally nothing. Its also hilarious people think a European Super League wouldn't involve City or PSG.

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
Somebody said that there are rumours that they will not be banned? Wtf guys, you want to ruin my sunday?

padr81

Supports
Man City
Somebody said that there are rumours that they will not be banned? Wtf guys, you want to ruin my sunday?
Truth is no one knows whether we'll be banned or not. Some journalist whose friends with our staff reckoned we'll be completely exonerated but thats it. Oh and Trevor Sinclair said it too..
So far the only source that the not guilty verdict is coming from is the journalist.

mu4c_20le

feck due process, this isn't a murder trial, they are fecking corrupt and we all knows it

Berbaclass

Fallen Muppet. Lest we never forget
I think it will be upheld. That’s what I’m expecting anyway. PSG got around it but apparently they made much more of an effort than City did to put things right. I’m sure I read that somewhere, maybe in here.

ExecutionerWasp001

Do you even know what the case is about? Its nothing to do with ending FFP... literally nothing. Its also hilarious people think a European Super League wouldn't involve City or PSG.
Not sure what you're failing to understand. To be allowed into the CL you have to abide by various rules. Complying with FFP is part of these rules. The leaked emails (the validity of which have not been refuted by your club) prove that you have failed to comply with FFP. If you are not sanctioned then what would the point of the FFP rule be. Why would you stick to the rules of the competition if there are no sanctions for breaking them.

I have no doubt that FFP was instigated by the traditional elite. They saw what a threat state funded clubs could become. The traditional elite clubs are run as businesses & the owners knew that it would eventually become very difficult to compete against state funded clubs with access to unlimited funds. The real premise of FFP was to try to curtail City & PSG's spending & also to dissuade other states from trying to buy football clubs.

UEFA have only taken action against City due to pressure from the Super Clubs. It would make no sense for these clubs to breakaway from UEFA & start their own competition, only to then invite the clubs that caused the need to breakaway, into the new competition. It would in effect be going from the frying pan into the fire.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
I think it will be upheld. That’s what I’m expecting anyway. PSG got around it but apparently they made much more of an effort than City did to put things right. I’m sure I read that somewhere, maybe in here.
PSG and City didn't do the same thing. PSG didn't hide it, the owners sponsored the club through various companies that are officially linked with them and when the UEFA told them that the contracts were overinflated, PSG agreed to a reevaluation of these contracts. City lied about where the money was coming from and it was the second time.

Berbaclass

Fallen Muppet. Lest we never forget
PSG and City didn't do the same thing. PSG didn't hide it, the owners sponsored the club through various companies that are officially linked with them and when the UEFA told them that the contracts were overinflated, PSG agreed to a reevaluation of these contracts. City lied about where the money was coming from and it was the second time.
Fair enough. Hope they make an example out of them then if it’s the second time.

padr81

Supports
Man City
Not sure what you're failing to understand. To be allowed into the CL you have to abide by various rules. Complying with FFP is part of these rules. The leaked emails (the validity of which have not been refuted by your club) prove that you have failed to comply with FFP. If you are not sanctioned then what would the point of the FFP rule be. Why would you stick to the rules of the competition if there are no sanctions for breaking them.

I have no doubt that FFP was instigated by the traditional elite. They saw what a threat state funded clubs could become. The traditional elite clubs are run as businesses & the owners knew that it would eventually become very difficult to compete against state funded clubs with access to unlimited funds. The real premise of FFP was to try to curtail City & PSG's spending & also to dissuade other states from trying to buy football clubs.

UEFA have only taken action against City due to pressure from the Super Clubs. It would make no sense for these clubs to breakaway from UEFA & start their own competition, only to then invite the clubs that caused the need to breakaway, into the new competition. It would in effect be going from the frying pan into the fire.
And if the decision tomorrow says City are again I'll say the word "exonerated" then City are NOT guilty of breaking those rules. If the decision says they are guilty than they will be punished. It really is that simple. The integrity of FFP is nothing to do with this case. You are just looking for an excuse to damn a club who could be proven not guilty with an excuse in case they are. Whether you like it or not, if and its a big if City are exonerated of all charges they are not guilty of breaking ffp. You can jump through hoops saying you personally know they did but your are wrong and people who know a ton more than you about the case and who are paid professionals will be right.

FFP was absolutely pushed through by the traditional elite.

Uefa took action against City because they had to because of massive leaks. If you think theres gonna be a super league without City you are sorely mistaken,
"In 2016, representatives from Premier League clubs Arsenal, Chelsea, Liverpool, Manchester City, and Manchester United, were seen leaving a meeting with Stephen M. Ross' representatives that discussed the proposition of a European Super League". Seems like a funny way to set up a super league without City I'd say....

You can wish all you want but if City walk away tomorrow free, they are cleared, innocent and they are here to stay.

ZolaWasMagic

Supports
Chelsea
Truth is no one knows whether we'll be banned or not. Some journalist whose friends with our staff reckoned we'll be completely exonerated but thats it. Oh and Trevor Sinclair said it too..
So far the only source that the not guilty verdict is coming from is the journalist.
And he is totally guessing. He cannot possibly know. Not to say he wont have guessed right, but, point stands. The emails were pretty damning at the time, even considered fraudulent by many. You'll do well to win

ZolaWasMagic

Supports
Chelsea
I am sure Galatasaray had a similar ban few yrs back. They appealed and lost.

Stretender

I don't see how City can get away with this one. If CAS used UK law City would win simply because of how the evidence was obtained. However European Law is different and its why so many decisions by UK courts were found to be in breach of European Law in the past and ended up getting reversed and adopting the EU judgements. On that reasoning City will be banned because UK law is irrelevant in this case. Secondly, we know Real Madrid got banned a few years ago. If the darling of UEFA can get a ban I do not see how City could escape the ban.

Dave Smith

Supports
Anything anti-Dipper
I don't see how City can get away with this one. If CAS used UK law City would win simply because of how the evidence was obtained. However European Law is different and its why so many decisions by UK courts were found to be in breach of European Law in the past and ended up getting reversed and adopting the EU judgements. On that reasoning City will be banned because UK law is irrelevant in this case. Secondly, we know Real Madrid got banned a few years ago. If the darling of UEFA can get a ban I do not see how City could escape the ban.
Transfer bans are handed out by FIFA not UEFA.

laughtersassassin

Is that for definite. The evidence was obtained illegally by a third party.

Uefa did not obtain it illegally as it was in the public domaim so that should be a moot point hopefully.

Sure if that's the case then it was good for city the evidence was leaked by a third part as that made the smoking gun inadmissible.

Hardly makes sense that that should stop uefa being able to ban them.

Berbasbullet

Too Boring For A Funny Tagline
Is that for definite. The evidence was obtained illegally by a third party.

Uefa did not obtain it illegally as it was in the public domaim so that should be a moot point hopefully.

Sure if that's the case then it was good for city the evidence was leaked by a third part as that made the smoking gun inadmissible.

Hardly makes sense that that should stop uefa being able to ban them.
thats true, by that logic do everything illegal and just leak it to the public :lol:

Tom Cato

Godt nyttår!

This is the consequence not the primary action of the FFP. The reason for the introduction of the FFP is to avoid situations where clubs overreach financially in a financial market that grows at an exponential rate. What buys you prime Kaká in 2009 to Real Madrid buys you young English back talent Aaron Wan Bissaka in 2019. Leeds, Portsmouth, Rangers (administration in 2012 but financial difficulties hit way before that), Bolton. Those are just some clubs that would have been saved if FFP had been in place to avoid overspending. Málaga had a rich Qatari Sheik owner that threw money at the club. Only for the interest to die off and the funds of the club completely dried up.

The problem is that the money heavy investment in football is traditionally unsafe. It entirely depends on the owners continious backing and you risk having a club that can't stand on its own legs financially. If they lose funds, what then? You can't have a unregulated market like that,it's pure wild west and it can only end badly either through liquidation or pay-to-win.

FFP ensures that you can only spend what you earn. Premier League clubs in particular are seeing positive financial results between the FFP and the broadcasting deals.

ExecutionerWasp001

Uefa took action against City because they had to because of massive leaks. If you think theres gonna be a super league without City you are sorely mistaken,
"In 2016, representatives from Premier League clubs Arsenal, Chelsea, Liverpool, Manchester City, and Manchester United, were seen leaving a meeting with Stephen M. Ross' representatives that discussed the proposition of a European Super League". Seems like a funny way to set up a super league without City I'd say....
You can wish all you want but if City walk away tomorrow free, they are cleared, innocent and they are here to stay.
You are talking about a meeting that took place 4 years ago. The landscape has radically changed since then. Pep joining the club, & the huge spending spree undertaken, has led to complaints from around the world which resulted in the investigation. If all the Super Clubs were looking to align themselves with City & PSG, complaining to UEFA, demanding sanctions on them seems a funny way to do it.

A place in the Super League would also be very much dependent on what clubs bring to the party. Sponsors & broadcasters will want teams with sizeable global reach & fan bases. It has taken the elite clubs many years to achieve this. City & PSG are very much new kids on the block. If by some strange quirk you were invited into a Super League it would very likely be contingent on you receiving a smaller revenue share. It's highly doubtful that your owners would agree to this.

You will not be cleared tomorrow. The emails prove that you are guilty. If you escape sanctions it will be down to a technicality. If you are flashed by a speed camera the police have 14 days to notify you of prosecution. If they notify you later than this then you could take the case to court & you'd be found not guilty. The fact would remain that you had committed the offence but were cleared due to a fault in procedure. This is very much the case in regards to City. If you escape sanctions it won't be down to you proving your innocence as you have committed the offences you are charged with.

Gee Male

And if the decision tomorrow says City are again I'll say the word "exonerated" then City are NOT guilty of breaking those rules. If the decision says they are guilty than they will be punished. It really is that simple.
Well that's just not true.

There is no way City can be exonerated - they arent even disputing the contents of the emails. Their argument is that the evidence is inadmissible.

So what City are hoping for is either CAS rule that the emails were obtained illegally and cannot be used, or else they rule UEFA are out of time to bring the case. Neither of these is exoneration, in fact City's refusal to mount any sort of denial in defence is a tacit acknowledgement that such a defence is not available.

City are clearly guilty. What is for debate is can they be prosecuted.

SteveJ

all-round nice guy, aka Uncle Joe Kardashian
Scout
Yuck.

'But whatever the morality here – and history will withhold its verdict for now — it is impossible not to feel a note of sadness. For all the surrounding murk and the money spent, the rules bent, the arrogance of the club hierarchy, City under Guardiola have also been the most beautiful team of the Premier League era.

Forget the stain of over-spending. We’ll always have that 100-point season. We’ll always have 15-0 across eight days against Liverpool, Feyenoord and Watford. We’ll always have that 44-pass goal against Manchester United, almost 1,000 passes against Swansea, the way the ball seems to become a living, mischievous thing, skittering about between the light blue shapes in a shared, rotational choreography.

We’ll always have that moment at the Etihad last February against Chelsea where Agüero scored a goal so stunning – an explosive moment of skill, but also a kind of coronation for his team – that the whole ground fell silent for a second, then broke into a swell of gentle applause as the replay appeared on the big screen.

This isn’t over. Billionaires don’t like to lose. City’s statement in reply to the judgment has its own notes of vengefulness, a firm hint that this process has by no means run its course. Let’s remember the best of that City team, and with kindness too. In the most practical sense, we may not see their like again.'

(Guardian)

cyberman

Yuck.

'But whatever the morality here – and history will withhold its verdict for now — it is impossible not to feel a note of sadness. For all the surrounding murk and the money spent, the rules bent, the arrogance of the club hierarchy, City under Guardiola have also been the most beautiful team of the Premier League era.

Forget the stain of over-spending. We’ll always have that 100-point season. We’ll always have 15-0 across eight days against Liverpool, Feyenoord and Watford. We’ll always have that 44-pass goal against Manchester United, almost 1,000 passes against Swansea, the way the ball seems to become a living, mischievous thing, skittering about between the light blue shapes in a shared, rotational choreography.

We’ll always have that moment at the Etihad last February against Chelsea where Agüero scored a goal so stunning – an explosive moment of skill, but also a kind of coronation for his team – that the whole ground fell silent for a second, then broke into a swell of gentle applause as the replay appeared on the big screen.

This isn’t over. Billionaires don’t like to lose. City’s statement in reply to the judgment has its own notes of vengefulness, a firm hint that this process has by no means run its course. Let’s remember the best of that City team, and with kindness too. In the most practical sense, we may not see their like again.'

(Guardian)
.. Until the PL open up their own investigation when they see if CAS is successful or not