Manchester City - "Emptihad"

MyOnlySolskjaer

Creator of Player Performance threads
https://www.mcfcwatch.com/2018/09/2...r-city-vs-lyon-attendance-as-13000-stay-away/

Recorded, 13,000 empty seats for a Champions League game against Lyon. Arteta even went public saying the atmosphere isn't ideal.

He continued: “The ideal is to have a full stadium every time and being behind the team like crazy but we know sometimes it doesn’t happen.”

I cannot consider them as a serious team until they are capable of having an audience worth watching them. What are your thoughts on this?

Needham

It was a principled protest against unethical foreign administrators.

Mcking

They have a stadium that is too big for the club. They'd do well to fill Leigh Sports Village.

ZAGREB RED

Lyon aren't exactly a stellar name, but to have so many seats of a 50 000 capacity stadium for your opening CL group game is quite strange. Maybe it's apathy due to the opponent or the fact that they don't think the group games are worth bothering about, keeping their money for the later stages they assume they will reach without too many problems.

SER19

The ‘protest’ is the most ludicrous bullshit I’ve ever heard. You’ve got 15000 people staying away on principle about something that affected travelling fans how many years ago? Utter drivel.

To even mention it is being disingenuous. Too much success too soon to ever appreciate what home champions league nights even mean. They truly represent 21st century football in all its worst forms. I remember being absolutely buzzing all day waiting for united v rapid Vienna to kick off in about 1996. For many city fans nowadays they’ll show up when they’re in the semi despite the competition being a fantasy a decade ago. No value or worth on anything.

A worthless vile club.

(Pic in op isn’t from last night though)

Last edited:

MyOnlySolskjaer

Creator of Player Performance threads
Lyon aren't exactly a stellar name, but to have so many seats of a 50 000 capacity stadium for your opening CL group game is quite strange. Maybe it's apathy due to the opponent or the fact that they don't think the group games are worth bothering about, keeping their money for the later stages they assume they will reach without too many problems.
Surely not, that's a level of arrogance they aren't entitled to. They've never won the competition and have underperformed for the majority of the time they've been it.

GazTheLegend

B-but Manchester is b-blue, Sky Sports says so so it must be t-true...

In all seriousness I really don’t know what to make of Man City and their stance against UEFA/the CL.

On the one hand it’s sort of admirable - the hypocrisy shown by Platini who suddenly stopped trying to shut city down once PSG became a plastic shitter of an oil club too made UEFA look really bad.

And on the other... it seems extremely... well. Bitter to still harbour a grudge at this point now all the bs has stopped. By all means boo the CL anthem but - you love your players and your manager, go and support them!

Maybe this has nothing to do with it and the actual reality is that nothing, no amount of investments or trophies, will -ever- catapult them to the point where anyone gives a shit about them. It sucks to be as hated as I feel to be a Manchester United fan sometimes, but at least people feel strong emotions for our club either one way or the other instead of regarding us with apathy and indifference whether we win or lose.

SER19

B-but Manchester is b-blue, Sky Sports says so so it must be t-true...

In all seriousness I really don’t know what to make of Man City and their stance against UEFA/the CL.

On the one hand it’s sort of admirable - the hypocrisy shown by Platini who suddenly stopped trying to shut city down once PSG became a plastic shitter of an oil club too made UEFA look really bad.

And on the other... it seems extremely... well. Bitter to still harbour a grudge at this point now all the bs has stopped. By all means boo the CL anthem but - you love your players and your manager, go and support them!

Maybe this has nothing to do with it and the actual reality is that nothing, no amount of investments or trophies, will -ever- catapult them to the point where anyone gives a shit about them. It sucks to be as hated as I feel to be a Manchester United fan sometimes, but at least people feel strong emotions for our club either one way or the other instead of regarding us with apathy and indifference whether we win or lose.
Come on.

SER19

You don’t actually believe this ‘protest’ accounts for anything more than a negligible number of empty seats? That 13000 people stayed at home on principle. 13000 people happy to pay at weekends to see a Dubai run club buy a game, stay away on principle?

GazTheLegend

You don’t actually believe this ‘protest’ accounts for anything more than a negligible number of empty seats? That 13000 people stayed at home on principle. 13000 people happy to pay at weekends to see a Dubai run club buy a game, stay away on principle?
Oh I see.

Well.... I believe it plays a part. If you factor in that the games on a Wednesday night, it’s a rainy day... and you want to justify staying at home, pretending you’re doing it as some sort of a protest is probably easier to live with than admitting you just don’t care.

SER19

Oh I see.

Well.... I believe it plays a part. If you factor in that the games on a Wednesday night, it’s a rainy day... and you want to justify staying at home, pretending you’re doing it as some sort of a protest is probably easier to live with than admitting you just don’t care.
I don’t argue that they’re pretending to protest.

Like i said, most clubs see the opening champions league night as a big occasion. The music, the midweek game, the importance of starting well. City will just never be one of those clubs. They simply can’t have the same value on things because of how their success came about. Eg if city win the cl, would that feel anything like how a Porto fan felt back in 03? Or a united fan in 99. They might think it can but it can’t. And it’s not a fans fault but that’s just the truth

They went from nothing to success in no time at all and games like last night just don’t mean much. They want the cl title, skipping past just being glad to be there.

Greck

Should have used the Mahrez money to rent new supporters. Head down to the city centre and offer random blokes £50 and a City jersey to come fill out the stadium.

Schneckerl

They are a bigger name than every team outside the Top 6.

btw is that Joe Hart in the OP's picture...?

padr81

Supports
Man City
It was more than 13k empty seat, I'd say closer on 18k. No way we had 40k last night. I'm probably the last person who should criticise given how little I get home to Manchester nevermind to a game but its kind of sad. Given we can pull 45k for league games then there is not excuse for 10k less in the CL.

Protest my arse tbh.. were we in a semi-final none of those protesters would stay away. Our club support has a strange relationship with the CL. Boo if you're going to boo (though its pointless and stupid imho) but don't punish your team for issues you blame on Uefa... I mean the team were flat and I rightly gave them stick last night but can you imagine how it must feel, being installed as favourites after getting 100 points the season before, watching the atmosphere at Anfield the night before and walking out to that. Has to be disheartening.

Craig Bellamy of all people made a great point about Liverpool's support elevating them in the CL, because despite the odd bus attack or two, they never stop believing (even naively), with us it's almost like we're afraid of the CL and it spreads to the team.

As I said I'm not one to criticise and I'll probably get shit off regular match goers about it because I've lived in Ireland last 30 years but meh.. have to call it as I see it.

Chipper

Adulterer.
They just have a small fanbase.

Wasn't there a report last week saying that the actual attendances for league games are 8 or 9k lower than what they publish? So 13,000 empty seats means the crowd was only down 4k from weekend games.

dove

It's much simpler than that. All their fanbase is abroad, they are simply not big enough team in England to fill a 50k stadium.

SolskjaerHasDoneIt

I know a couple of City season ticket holders and they couldn't be bothered going to matches even if they get the day off work. So maybe there are a lot of fans like that?

I find it weird though considering this is the best football/most successful period in their history.

Classical Mechanic

Would't be surprised if we have a lot of empty seat in our CL group games for the 8.00pm kickoffs against the lesser sides like Villareal and Young Boys.

Its too much effort to make the trip for a lot of people on a work night.

Weren't some of our group games poorly attended last year?

James Peril

Curse of being from Manchester and not London I guess. I went to Wembley last weekend, so many people obviously there as London-tourists and not because they support Tottenham.

Theafonis

In love with @Eboue
Supports
Chelsea
https://www.mcfcwatch.com/2018/09/2...r-city-vs-lyon-attendance-as-13000-stay-away/

Recorded, 13,000 empty seats for a Champions League game against Lyon. Arteta even went public saying the atmosphere isn't ideal.

He continued: “The ideal is to have a full stadium every time and being behind the team like crazy but we know sometimes it doesn’t happen.”

I cannot consider them as a serious team until they are capable of having an audience worth watching them. What are your thoughts on this?
Is that joe hart?

Photo isn’t even from last night man

BluesJr

Owns the moral low ground
I've had various arguments on Twitter with City fans who claim their stadium is never empty, really strange bunch of supporters.

AshRK

The ironic part is this is one of the greatest periods for them and yet their fans (if they have) are not enjoying this. If they can't take their club seriously why would others.

AshRK

I've had various arguments on Twitter with City fans who claim their stadium is never empty, really strange bunch of supporters.
That's the issue with them. They always feel they are entitled bunch who are greatest walking club in the planet. Atleast when Chelsea started their journey with roman their fans weren't in denial and openly admitted we spend money and we dont care. City fans want to portray their club as some struggling club who are doing everything in the right way and rest are wrong. Wierd bunch.

Dudu

For those looking for actual photos from the Lyon game..

Prior to kickoff:

During the game:

Embarrassing.

Last edited:

Schmeichel's Cartwheel

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Why put a photo from about 5 years ago in the OP?

Anyway. Yeah, their fan base is small considering the quality of the football they play. They have a midtable level following. Newcastle & Everton probably have more fans than they do.

There's a very distinctive split I've noticed when it comes to City supporters. The people who have been fans for years, through all the shit times etc who are very respectful, logical & a good debate, who never miss a game. Then there's the younger fans, say 25 & below who are extremely arrogant & believe they're by far the best team in the world & will just steamroll every team put in front of them, and if they ever don't it's because they've been "cheated" by the ref.

I work with a lad who's a season ticket holder for them & in his own words yesterday "Can't be arsed, we'll just play the kids & smash them" Kinda sums up a large chunk of their fanbase. So it isn't a surprise to me their crowds are low.

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
Even if they don't have a big fan base I do find it weird that more people don't wanna go to watch their games. As much as I hate giving them any credit they do play some great football and have some great players on show, surely that should attract a few extra heads but it never seems to. Maybe they just don't have as many local fans as they claim.

Minimalist

Why put a photo from about 5 years ago in the OP?

Anyway. Yeah, their fan base is small considering the quality of the football they play. They have a midtable level following. Newcastle & Everton probably have more fans than they do.

There's a very distinctive split I've noticed when it comes to City supporters. The people who have been fans for years, through all the shit times etc who are very respectful, logical & a good debate, who never miss a game. Then there's the younger fans, say 25 & below who are extremely arrogant & believe they're by far the best team in the world & will just steamroll every team put in front of them, and if they ever don't it's because they've been "cheated" by the ref.

I work with a lad who's a season ticket holder for them & in his own words yesterday "Can't be arsed, we'll just play the kids & smash them" Kinda sums up a large chunk of their fanbase. So it isn't a surprise to me their crowds are low.
Could be describing a good portion of the United fanbase in the 90s/early 00s there. There's nobs like that everywhere.

Think regarding City, it's just they have a small fanbase. Nothing more than that.

TsuWave

majority of their new fans are kids. i assume that if their period of success remains consistent, then in like 5 years there are less chances of their stadium being empty as said kids will be able to afford/go to the matches by themselves

Uniquim

For comparison, since we haven't played any home games in the Champions League yet, our lowest home attendance in last years group stage was the opener v Basel, which was attended by 73,854.

Our lowest home attendance all season last year was v Burton in the league cup, on a wednesday. That was attended by 54,256 people.

City's attendance yesterday in the Champions League opener v Lyon was 40,111.

Their lowest attendance all season last year vs the League Cup semi final v Bristol City at 43,426, which was actually just a 122 people less than their lowest attended Champions League game v Feyenoord.

Djemba-Djemba

See I don't think they've got that many more new fans around the local area anyway.

They'll obviously have more out of town fans now than when they were complete dogshit for 30 years but in Manchester it doesn't feel like they have that many more fans now than they did 10 years ago.

Whenever they win the League you tend to see more City flags in windows but other than that I don't think much has changed.