Manchester United 22/23: Rebirth

Irrational.

How optimistic are we about the next season? I hope with Woodward leaving and the appointment of Rangnick in a consultancy role, along with a few other smart appointments we have something to look forward to and I truly believe we will be moving forward from the nepotistic nostalgic culture that has proved so toxic to the club. We never moved forward from “the United way”, whilst the game around us evolved. Hence we are looking at the likes of City and Pool who never rested on their laurels.

Along with one of the most promising coaches in ETH, having a full summer and pre-season with the lads, shipping out of disruptive forces and an all round culture change, we have reason to be optimistic next season and maybe we’ll be pleasantly surprised.

Thoughts?

peridigm

Pretty excited. I'll hold additional excitement until we learn who the coaching staff will be and how many of these wannabe ballers are moved on as well as who we bring in to replace them. I more optimistic of our coaching staff than I am the recruitment side of if at the moment.
These last few months, no, this past season has shown us we have a squad full of whiners that can't be bothers to do the job they were paid to do. If the board listens to ETH and Ralf, I think things will be looking up.

Also excited to see a completely new coaching staff with no jobs for the boys mentality.

Jacky Quacky

made eight consecutive posts about Fellaini once
Holding off any excitement until we see the right backroom staff and recruitments. If Ten Hag fixes this mess then he’s a miracle worker, cause right now there’s absolutely nothing to suggest our team is heading in the right direction. Our best players are getting older and our young players are getting worse. Our starman (Fernandes) hasn’t given up, but his quality just quite isn’t there and all of his shortcomings are coming out to fester.

We will need at-least 5 new signings to have a chance of champions league next season. We need a GK, CB, RB, DM, CF and RW. I just don’t see us getting that many in, and they have to be exactly what we need otherwise we are back to square one.

The Constant Gardener

ETH has to be brutal with regards to the outgoings, no doubt he's been given a full run down of the squads attitudes and shortcomings and will be able to tell from that who he can work with and who would be better moved on elsewhere.

The only issue is whether United hierarchy would permit such a cultural reboot as it would certainly come at a cost to the balance sheet.

If he gets the sales right then I'm sure he could pick up some cheap, young, hungry talent that would improve the attitude and increase the work rate, we can further rebuild from there.

Remember, United make stars, they don't buy them.

Reactions: Penna

Marcus

Very excited. Looking forward to a clean slate with a coach who has a long-term plan and having a dressing room filled with players who desparately want to win.

city-puma

excited! I feel ETH could bring six or seven youngsters into the picture. Very interesting to find out how he wants us play from back and how to set up our midfield.

fergiewherearethou

Supports
Erik ten Hag
I'm not too optimistic but at least I'm sure we can't be worse than we are now so at least that's should be a positive.
There is a lot of work to be done at our club and it will take time, probably 2-3 years with competent decisions, very good management and transfers.

Mike Smalling

Who can predict the date when this thread title is changed to "Manchester United 22/23: Stillbirth"?

Andy_Cole

As others have said very excited. But I was in the past too with LVG, Jose, Ronaldo. So I’m not getting ahead of myself now. I do believe this is the correct decision and a rebirth is needed.

I know it doesn’t matter but the old united boys need to get on board. They are poisonous. We need their backing to move forward.

LARulz

LvG and Jose I was excited about

But I am optimistic not because I think next season will challenge for anything but, assuming the backroom stuff is done right, we will have a clear plan of what to do and it will honestly clear out most this squad who are nothing but entitled pricks

The fans have lost patience with most players and we are now all in a position where we support the manager over the players. Giving a manager who has a clear idea of what he wants ours and the club's backing is a good thing

The dressing room not running the club is why I am optimistic we will be at least in a better position than now

D. Grayson

Supports
Ashwood City FC.
Relatively pessimistic, the squad look deterred beyond rehabilitation, I don't know if ETH can handle the microscope he is going to be working under, and if the possession based football becomes tedious the crowd will start getting jittery by game week 15.

PSV

I think ETH's success will depends on how brave he actually is.

If he rams his system through at all costs I'd give him a lot of time, even if we end up with over half the team being youth players, because that will eventually come good.

If he dumbfoundedly spends too much time trying to get some of our less adaptable/intelligent players to buy into his system I think he's going to bust.

It needs to be do or die, or we're going to end up nowhere. He's talked the talk so far, but can he walk the walk?

jackal&hyde

I think we will play better football next season with ETH. A lot of the excitement depends on what we are capable of doing in the summer though.

ManRed

More hopeful than excited for next year. Never been so disconnected with a Manutd team. Lot of changes to the squad, back room, upstairs so will be interesting to see how it all gels.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Not massively. Ten Hag is a great coach, but he’s only one man, and I think our team composition is really crap. It’ll take a few seasons of correct decisions in the window (and we’ve already started off on the wrong foot with the current and potential contract extensions).

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
Been burnt so many times before but also what’s the point if you’re not going to get some excitement out of it.

It’s the first time we’ve got a manager on the up, plus Woodward has gone. So I’m cautiously optimistic.

Tarrou

I'm optimistic for sure

As a fan you kinda have to be, right?

There have been structural changes which were badly needed, but we won't know how effective that has been until we start to see results on the pitch

But make no mistake this is the biggest challenge in world football right now, so the optimism is tempered somewhat

ETH has to overhaul the squad, get the right players in, bring through some youth players, and somehow completely turn-around the club morale and mentality. And once he does all that and ready to challenge, he's up against two of the GOAT managers with already amazing squads. Also he has to do all this with competition for all the best players with City, Liverpool, Chelsea and Newcastle.

NoPace

I think ETH's success will depends on how brave he actually is.

If he rams his system through at all costs I'd give him a lot of time, even if we end up with over half the team being youth players, because that will eventually come good.

If he dumbfoundedly spends too much time trying to get some of our less adaptable/intelligent players to buy into his system I think he's going to bust.

It needs to be do or die, or we're going to end up nowhere. He's talked the talk so far, but can he walk the walk?
He's Dutch, I don't think it'll be an issue. More likely he rams it in, we look sporadically good the first year and also lose some games by 4 or 5 when we can't pass out the back or keep the ball with a high line.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
It's certainly the best chance we've had to put things right since SAF left, less because of ETH and more because the issues at the level above manager and in recruitment have been red flagged with steps taken to address them.

Director of Football installed, Rangnick in a consultancy role reportedly centred around recruitment, changes in the personnel leading recruitment, etc. Even the fact that our poor injury record has been highlighted as an issue by someone now connected to the club.

I don't know if the changes we make will fix anything but it's the first time I'm confident that there's an actual understanding of what needs to be changed within the club.

Corridor of Uncertainty

A manager who isn't:
1. Completely shit (Moyes)
2. Past it (LVG and Mourinho)
3. Clueless (Ole)

We've now got a manager on the up, who only knows winning and rated as amongst the most highly rated in Europe. Add in the likes of Lingard, Pogba, Cavani etc leaving, hell yeah I'm excited for the new season!

MiracleInMadrid

The right transfers and a good start to the season could make a huge difference. The key point will be to get all the rotten eggs in the squad out of the club.

MonkeysMagic

I will only allow myself to get excited if the majority of the current squad is dispensed with in the summer. We know there are 5/6 players already leaving but another 7/8 need to go, but knowing the Glazers, just can't see that happening. The problem then is, the incoming players are exposed to the toxicity, and quite frankly, pathetic attitude they have shown in the last 2 months which festers through the rest.

red woppit

Supports
Northampton Town
I think we will play better football next season with ETH. A lot of the excitement depends on what we are capable of doing in the summer though.
I agree. I think eventually the way we play our football will be much better, with us starting to look like a team again, instead of a load of individuals.
It intrigues me that many of our players are performing very poorly now, as opposed to two years ago, when we had at least a group of players that looked liked they wanted to get out on the pitch, and fight for the club. Whatever could the reason be for that I wonder?
Although Ole was probably not the right man to have in charge, I think a lot of the players downed tools to a certain extent under his leadership, and Ole was unable, or had the authority, to get rid of these players, and bring in new blood. I'm not sure VDB was an Ole signing, but ultimately the players managed to oust Ole, perform better under Carrick, but look like they can't be bothered to really put in a shift for Rangnick.
There definitely appears to be some rifts within the camp, and the power brokers within the dressing room need to be gone, so ETH can pretty much start again. I'm not sure many of this current squad will still be here at the start of the 23/24 season, and that is the season I believe we will start to become a force again.
So back to the OP's point, I certainly think we will be playing football better at the end of next season than the first half, that, hopefully, could mean that we get a good run in the FA cup. The league is out of the question I believe, but let's hope for better performances against the big boys, and not get too negative if we put in a poor performance now and again as long as generally we improve month on month.

Godfather

I'm certainly looking forward to next season but obviously much will depend on our recruitment. If we feck this summer up than much of the positivity surrounding the appointment of ETH will be gone.

big rons sovereign

I'm at the point where feel like I did as a kid in the 80s, I'm just not that arsed.
I'll watch the games, might even get to old Trafford once or twice. But the vermin and their frothy mouthed fans will be a constant annoyance, the media will be wanking themselves raw over them and like then, I won't give a shit about them.
The only difference now is city are there too. But nobody cares about them anyway.

Back then we had a squad capable of beating any team on earth, now we have a collection of self important tossers who don't think they need to work for their massive pay.

Wouldn't mind seeing a few signings but, ya know, glazers.
Football, yaaaay.

CM

After the Fernandes contract extension and rumours of Rashford and/or de Gea potentially getting theirs extended, I can't say I've got much faith in real change happening.

As long as we keep making poor decisions with recruitment, the wage structure etc, the manager hasn't got much of a chance. Pretty much everything needs pulling apart right now.

jackal&hyde

I agree. I think eventually the way we play our football will be much better, with us starting to look like a team again, instead of a load of individuals.
It intrigues me that many of our players are performing very poorly now, as opposed to two years ago, when we had at least a group of players that looked liked they wanted to get out on the pitch, and fight for the club. Whatever could the reason be for that I wonder?
Although Ole was probably not the right man to have in charge, I think a lot of the players downed tools to a certain extent under his leadership, and Ole was unable, or had the authority, to get rid of these players, and bring in new blood. I'm not sure VDB was an Ole signing, but ultimately the players managed to oust Ole, perform better under Carrick, but look like they can't be bothered to really put in a shift for Rangnick.
There definitely appears to be some rifts within the camp, and the power brokers within the dressing room need to be gone, so ETH can pretty much start again. I'm not sure many of this current squad will still be here at the start of the 23/24 season, and that is the season I believe we will start to become a force again.
So back to the OP's point, I certainly think we will be playing football better at the end of next season than the first half, that, hopefully, could mean that we get a good run in the FA cup. The league is out of the question I believe, but let's hope for better performances against the big boys, and not get too negative if we put in a poor performance now and again as long as generally we improve month on month.
I think it's a combination of issues. Some of them were decent in a counter attacking setup but are bad in a more proactive style that we tried to implement this season: AWB and Maguire are the stand outs here. Some are just super inconsistent in general, Shaw and even MacTom and Fred. Rashford has fecked himself over by going to the Euros while he needed rest and recovery and is now bottom level in confidence. And others I think just downed tools because they want to leave and just don't care; I imagine this has created a horrible team spirit.

Too many players with poor attitudes that give up when things aren't going well and poor recruitment under all our managers.

If I had to pick just one thing, it would be the change in tactics to be more progressive, something that a lot of them failed at and destroyed confidence.

miked99

I can't feel excited at all. There's so little to cling onto at the moment. I'm so sick of this team and these players, I barely care if any of them remain at the club.

I'm sure I'll feel more excited once the new manager starts and the season gets closer. But right now, I can't wait for a summer free of football, and United.

MayfieldsFinest

I'm optimistic but I'm optimistic over the longer term. Next season will be tough and I'd be happy with squeezing into 4th spot.

I think Ten Hag will do a great job if given time but we really need a cohesive transfer policy that see's us buy the right players and not the players with the biggest reputations.

We still have the bones of a good squad but a squad that needs a break. Maguire, Rashford, Shaw and Sancho all paid the price for England going so far in the Euros and cannot be as bad next year (Christ they can't, can they?)

choccy77

Our number 11 has had his bail extended to mid June and a new court date has been set for then.

Evening Standard

Revaulx

It's certainly the best chance we've had to put things right since SAF left, less because of ETH and more because the issues at the level above manager and in recruitment have been red flagged with steps taken to address them.

Director of Football installed, Rangnick in a consultancy role reportedly centred around recruitment, changes in the personnel leading recruitment, etc. Even the fact that our poor injury record has been highlighted as an issue by someone now connected to the club.

I don't know if the changes we make will fix anything but it's the first time I'm confident that there's an actual understanding of what needs to be changed within the club.
Not enough is being made of this.

Not just the injury record either; the general fitness of the squad seems really poor in comparison with even lowly PL teams. Ole called them out about it early on, but was unable to do anything about it.

Ayoba

Poster of Noncense.
I'm not very optimistic for the following reasons:

1. I don't really know what type of coach/manager ETH is as i've not watched Ajax regularly at all. I've not even seen them in the CL either so I have no idea whether he is the right man to take this club out of the doldrums.

2. Our transfers for the past 10 years have been shocking, I have no faith that this will change. In fact, I'm worried we might sign a bunch of average players again like we did under LVG with scheinderlin, Rojo, blind, memphis etc.

Still ill

Fantasy Football Champ 2018
Yeah, I'm excited. I have a really low bar. I don't give a shit about trophies or top 4 next season. I just want to see progress. I want to see a manager who knows what he's doing, I want to see a board prepared to back him and most of all, I want to see players who care. United and the Caf have brought very little joy to my life over the last couple of years, I'm looking forward to seeing everyone roll their sleeves up a bit.

PeteManic

More of the same shite. It'll be McTominay and Fred again. Lindelof and Varane. Shaw and Dalot. Same shite.

Siorac

Absolutely zero excitement. I'm fully prepared for more of the same old shite, bleak hopelessness engulfing us all. I expect Ten Hag to be entirely powerless in the face of the curse of Manchester United. He will try and there will be moments and games where those of the more optimistic persuasion might be tempted to start believing but in the end nothing will really change.

TOPREDIAMNOT

Come August we'll be excite and optimistic. Come November we'll be going over another failed season.

YES ETH is a great manager who will bring in new faces...but this mess is 10 years in the making and will take 2+ seasons to sort out

We surely cannot play Rashy, Mctom or Maguire ever again?

Ish

Lights on for Luke
Cautiously optimistic/excited. Sort out the contract/player issues fast (get a few new signings in, let go of some) and get the team/ETH a proper pre season and I’ll feel even better.