Manchester United 3:1 Crystal Palace (Tue 19th July, 11:10 UK time)

Yagami

Good post resistant
Maguire has tunnel vision. How many times do we see Maguire dribble in circle and create trouble for himself from nothing when all he should have done is simple pass. There is no comparison between Maguire to anyone else. Players like FdJ takes his touch with purpose.

Arthur is lazy athlete and a possession recycling machine but without other purposes. Even gives the pass to wrong option because he just recycle possession for the sake of it. Not progress the ball up the pitch at all.

You're just using different player to describe another player, and it's way off the mark. FdJ does both defensive work either tracking back, or press, throwing tackle. He takes the ball from the defenders/goalkeepers, so work to get the ball up the pitch. FdJ at time break away bring the ball higher up the pitch for Barcelona, only to find himself with no, or only one obvious passing option. Barcelona is not used to have quick direct transition. There is a reason Barcelona in recent years post Messi is getting direct CF like Depay and Aubameyang. Barcelona wide forwards don't hold the width as strictly as they're required to be Pep. Switching play in this Barcelona would mean side way to a fullbacks parallel to you. What's the point? The issue between Arthur and FdJ is very different.

If you're comparing to the best in the business like Pirlo, Scholes, Xabi Alonso, Carrick, then even Iniesta, Modric, Kroos, Verratti... switch play long balls look tad inconsistent in term of weight. Then you can apply "limited", "weakness" to anything. Yet Maguire is ready to be brought into conversation of play makers by you (being comfortable on ball is not play maker). Really?
I wasn't comparing Maguire to Frenkie.

And Frenkie and Arthur are basically the same player. Same strengths, same weaknesses. Only difference is Frenkie is more reliable as Arthur has many injury issues.

mav_9me

I wasn't comparing Maguire to Frenkie.

And Frenkie and Arthur are basically the same player. Same strengths, same weaknesses. Only difference is Frenkie is more reliable as Arthur has many injury issues.
Sure. Frenkie advances play through his dribbling rather than his passing.

He can make them. He just won't 9/10, and, when he does, the weight of his pass is inconsistent. Between the lines passes he's fine, and the odd scoop ball, but long range passing has never been a big strength of his.

In fact, like Arthur, it's why they came under so much criticism at Barca. Too safe with their passing.

Maguire is the same style as them, too.
It does look like you were.

And also are you saying FDG are same quality as Arthur or same style of play?

Yagami

Good post resistant
It does look like you were.

And also are you saying FDG are same quality as Arthur or same style of play?
It does. Poor formatting on my behalf! If you look at the post I initially quoted, though, the Maguire stuff was about discussing what types of cbs ten Hag likes, and, when saying Maguire was "the same style", I was talking about Blind, Timber and Martinez in terms of ball playing cbs.

On Frenkie and Arthur, they're definitely the same style. Play the game exactly the same with their turns and ball carrying. In terms of quality, I don't think there's much in it, but I think Frenkie is a bit better.

mav_9me

It does. Poor formatting on my behalf! If you look at the post I initially quoted, though, the Maguire stuff was about discussing what types of cbs ten Hag likes, and, when saying Maguire was "the same style", I was talking about Blind, Timber and Martinez in terms of ball playing cbs.

On Frenkie and Arthur, they're definitely the same style. Play the game exactly the same with their turns and ball carrying. In terms of quality, I don't think there's much in it, but I think Frenkie is a bit better.
I dont know much about Timber or Martinez, but Maguire is not half the passer Blind is IMO. Blind is good enough on the ball to play in DM and LB.
Now they may all be "ball playing CB" but the gulf in quality can be vast.

Yagami

Good post resistant
I dont know much about Timber or Martinez, but Maguire is not half the passer Blind is IMO. Blind is good enough on the ball to play in DM and LB.
Now they may all be "ball playing CB" but the gulf in quality can be vast.
In terms of passing, I’d say Blind>Martinez>Maguire>Timber right now. It’s not just about passing, though. When you factor in everything as a whole (passing, dribbling/ball carrying, press resistance/shielding and turning with the ball under pressure), there’s not much in it between all 4 from an “on the ball” pov, imo.