Manchester United - January transfer window 2015 (twitter blacklist applies)

JohnnyLaw

Two time club poty i the previous two campaigns, just because he didn't suit Mourinho's style doesn't mean that he wasn't good enough. Mourinho could have easiliy found a role for him if he wanted but the fact that he didn't want to shouldn't take anything away from Mata's achievements at Chelsea.
I agreed to an extent with your point in your earlier post btw just not the example you used. On Mata, he was straight up replaced by a similar player of much lower rating who's since outperformed him, he wasn't good enough. He wasn't good enough for them and he hasn't been for us either. Torres was great in the years preceding his switch to Chelsea, that doesn't mean he was good enough at that time.

Last edited:

Bwuk

Kevin Mirallas anyone?

18 months left on contract, rumours Klopp wants him as Reus replacement though.

Mister_Stubbs

Kevin Mirallas anyone?

18 months left on contract, rumours Klopp wants him as Reus replacement though.
I'd take him, he does what our current wingers don't tend to do and that's drive at players, makes things happen.

That said I'd rather Marco Reus and then Dortmund have Kevin.

Globule

signature/tagline creator extraordinaire
Why are people so desperate to name 'big names' that moved in January, when we all quite clearly know the point being made is valid. The players we're being linked with (Strootman, Pogba, Bale, Hummels) are not unwanted by their current clubs (Mata), do not play in smaller leagues (Vidic, Suarez, Evra, Matic) and are not way past their prime and looking for one last hurrah at a big club (Larsson).

Sure it can happen if we are willing to throw massive money around (Torres) but the fact remains that it is unlikely that we are going to be getting some of our alleged marquee signings because they are not in any rush to move and are important players for their current clubs, who are not exactly desperate to offload them.

Raptori

Special needs
Why are people so desperate to name 'big names' that moved in January, when we all quite clearly know the point being made is valid. The players we're being linked with (Strootman, Pogba, Bale, Hummels) are not unwanted by their current clubs (Mata), do not play in smaller leagues (Vidic, Suarez, Evra, Matic) and are not way past their prime and looking for one last hurrah at a big club (Larsson).

Sure it can happen if we are willing to throw massive money around (Torres) but the fact remains that it is unlikely that we are going to be getting some of our alleged marquee signings because they are not in any rush to move and are important players for their current clubs, who are not exactly desperate to offload them.
Yeah I don't get it. If there's a chance to sign someone world class who will improve one of our weak spots then sure we should go for it, but if not then why not look at younger players that look ready to make a step up? Dybala for example would give us more invention and pace up front, and allow Di Maria to play in midfield more often. A signing or two like that could solve some of our problems just as effectively as signing a big name player, and give us younger players who could improve in the future at the same time.

GBBQ

Its possible that some clubs (with FFP in mind) might be willing to cash in on a big name but I think overall this last part will prove to be our biggest stumbling block.

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
What's that got to do with how a big name is? Mata was not wanted by his club anymore but so was Beckham when he moved to Madrid but that did not take anything away from his value as a brand!
The difference is Mata was warming the bench for 6 months which did take away from his value and brand (even though we paid £37m for him)

Rafabio

Mirallas? Tempted because we're desperate for wing player but no. Don't like him. Also a bit injury prone.

Sissoko? Yes please.

Chaky_Best

Supports 'a joke of a club'.
Guys, I know that we all suffered because of Moyes, and we’re still fragile this year with Van Gaal, but we’re Manchester United, no point having players like Cissokho or Mirallas in our team, even as squad players.

How Mirallas can be better than Young or Valencia ?

Acquire Me

We are talking about Sissoko because he could be a future star. I wouldn't be surprised if he got a move to a big club soon.

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
They don't even play the same position though really, two completely different midfielders (Schneiderlin and Sissoko).
You really have to watch Sissoko play for france to see he is way too good for Newcastle, not sure about him at United (hes definately better than Valencia and I would say probably Fellani too) but I wouldn't sign him, we need top quality if we make a midfield signing.
I think he'll get a move to a better club soon enough.

jojose

Afraid it's a case of muppet fever, buy anyone, don't care who it is but buy somebody, please....:lol:
The idea that the majority of players mentioned are anywhere near the qaulity we have, never mind what we should be looking for is rediculous. Dont get me wrong, I am not one of these that is looking for us to sign 3 Galatico's evry window but Sissokho, Mirrales etc.....jesus. Imagine the uproar if Moyes signed those two last january!

NoPace

I cant believe we are talking about Mirallas and Sissokho!!!!
If Mirallas wasn't hurt all the time, he'd help us. We are desperate for a wide attacker for a variety of reasons - especially when we play 4 at the back - and he is a pretty good one.

This looks decent to me:

----(RVP/Falcao)---
------Rooney-------
-------(Mata)------
------------Mirallas
-DiMaria--Herrera
----Blind/Carrick

with the bold players basically starting when healthy and then Mata/RVP/Falcao alternating as Rooney's partner based on form and matchup.

Nani would similarly help us if he were around. Any B+ winger would help us. We should really be looking for an A level one like Bale, Reus, Robben or whoever our scouts and Van Gaal think will be at that level shortly (Depay) and Everton's price tag will be too high for it to be worth it, but yeah, I think he'd help.

Bwuk

Mirallas has pace, can beat a man and scores goals from wide positions.

Looks more and more available after today. He'll end up at Dortmund and score a few goals and well wonder why no-one went in for him.

Organic Potatoes

Supports
Colorado Rapids
Mirallas has pace, can beat a man and scores goals from wide positions.

Looks more and more available after today. He'll end up at Dortmund and score a few goals and well wonder why no-one went in for him.
He inhabits the spot I expect Depay to be occupying this summer, assuming the Reus transfer doesn't happen for us.

matherto

ask me about our 50% off sale!
Not really. I am really suprised that the concensus think he would get into our team, never mind single handedly improve us!

In our full strength team, may i ask where he would play?
To the right with Di Maria on the left and Carrick or Blind as the base in a midfield three?

Trizy

BBC gossip:

Manchester United have placed a £50m valuation on Spanish goalkeeper David De Gea, 24, who is wanted by Real Madrid. (Daily Express)

Germany international defender Mats Hummels, 26, has disappointed Man Utd, Liverpool and Chelsea by saying he wants to stay at Borussia Dortmund. (Daily Star)

Manchester United midfielder Darren Fletcher, 30, is being linked with a move to Valencia as he struggles to get playing time under manager Louis van Gaal. (Sky Sports)

Manchester United are preparing a £15m bid to bring back defender Gerard Pique, 27, from Barcelona. (Daily Express)

Express is wrote feck all but I'd take Pique for £15 million.

jojose

of all the centre backs we have been linked with, I would take Pique no question.

jojose

I have posted on the caf before raising my doubts on Hummels actual ability, i have never seen him have anything other than a decent game. He looks slow, clumsy and for me a complete waste of money at the figures qouted. Add to that the constant qoutes about how he's happy at dortmund, playing champions league doesnt motivate / make him happy etc. Now i am of the opinion that not only is he "not all that" as a centre half but he's got a piss poor attitide towards winning. A personality like his will get eaten by United. I want us to sign a centra half who'l through himself at anything for a clean sheet and defend for his life to get into the champions league. Not some big timer who is more interested in his part-time modelling career and isnt really that bothered about playing at the highest level.

Matts Hummels......do not want. For £10m nevermind £45m

Eric'sCollar

Asked for his wife's permission before signing up
Nothing rumour but would jump at that for Pique. Barca are in no position to sell though.