Manchester United name John Murtough as Football Director and Darren Fletcher as Technical Director

jem

We literally interviewed Ernesto Valverde who would’ve been miles better than the clown we have in charge now.
He may have been more suited to the task, but I don't this calling Rangnick a clown. The guy has been hamstrung from the second he stepped in.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
But bringing in someone who has been out of the on-field action for so long was a bit naive, in my opinion. If in fact he is listened (and I have my doubts,) then I will agree that bringing in Rangnick was an astute move. I guess we'll have to wait and see.
How can you have doubts on whether hes listened to? Just refer to all our change since he came!

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
We literally interviewed Ernesto Valverde who would’ve been miles better than the clown we have in charge now.
And wed just drift all the same. Rangnick calling out the roots of the problem and helping the club pull them out is of utmost importance.

L1nk

Thats the funniest thing about it. Nobody can
Isn't that half a good reason? Nobody knows what he actually does, Ralf himself I believe said that. He's a Technical Director that's sat on the bench and was apparently instructed not to shout at and give orders to the players. If you're going to talk about best in class, is Fletcher best in class as a Technical Director? Or is he Technical Director because he used to play for us

Sparky Rhiwabon

People blaming Fletcher whilst not knowing what he does are the weirdest. Can you even give a reason why?
For a start, he doesn’t appear to have the experience to walk into a Technical Director role - I’m not convinced that he would have in any other top club, therefore I assume he’s got the job because he used to play for us. Also, it should be clear what he does, if he’s doing a good job.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
Ever since Ed stepped down.

We let go our chief scouts and club's negotiator. Big changes related to our recruitments, negotiating wages and fees are happening and hopefuly we see the results of these changes. In additional, we have new manager as well.

Bilbo

TeaBaggins
Isn't that half a good reason? Nobody knows what he actually does, Ralf himself I believe said that. He's a Technical Director that's sat on the bench and was apparently instructed not to shout at and give orders to the players. If you're going to talk about best in class, is Fletcher best in class as a Technical Director? Or is he Technical Director because he used to play for us
I don't know & neither do you. I could put together a list of 'best Technical Directors in Europe' and put Fletcher at number 1. Nobody would be able to disprove it which says it all.

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
Ever since Ed stepped down.

We let go our chief scouts and club's negotiator. Big changes related to our recruitments, negotiating wages and fees are happening and hopefuly we see the results of these changes. In additional, we have new manager as well.
Pretty much

Adnan

Talent Spotter
No saying 'his guys' will be good enough, will Murtough be binned off by Arnold if its ends up their not? Only time will tell, I'm not getting carried away by some of these resignations as Judge shouldn't have been in a job in the first place and Lawlor/Bout clearly weren't doing a job.
We don't know how things will go in the future but the guy making the calls does have a history of making structural changes and improving the whole rather than just the individual parts.

He may or may not succeed, but the transition from a manager led approach to a DoF/head coach approach is in full swing. And if one can see the difference between both approaches, then having some optimism is fine as well.

Revaulx

He isn't a Technical Director. His job description (it's on the United website) isn't remotely that of a Technical Director; it's a really specific role, though he's also been involved in coaching since Ole and his gang left.

Whoever gave him the TD title was an idiot, as it's put a massive millstone round his neck, with people asking what qualifications he has for a role that he isn't actually fulfilling.

Nicoseth

Andrei Kanchelskis made me fall in love with Unite
Delighted to see these changes. We've been long touted as a joke when it comes to contract renewals and transfer dealings. I have a feeling that Rangnick is behind a lot of this change, along with Ten Hag possibly. Hopefully the talk of Paul Mitchell coming in is true too. It would represent an efficient and positive change at the club - going from Woodward, Murtough and Ole to Mitchell, Rangnick and Ten Hag in a period of about 6 months.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
Fletcher's role doesn't have any bearing on how things will go. Fletcher's role to me is very clear, and that is to sell the club to potential new recruits and aid with player development at youth level. He comes across as a very intelligent and articulate person and has a good understanding of the modern football concepts, which is something that was absent with the likes of Butt, Phelan etc from what I heard coming out of their mouths.

Nicoseth

Andrei Kanchelskis made me fall in love with Unite
He isn't a Technical Director. His job description (it's on the United website) isn't remotely that of a Technical Director; it's a really specific role, though he's also been involved in coaching since Ole and his gang left.

Whoever gave him the TD title was an idiot, as it's put a massive millstone round his neck, with people asking what qualifications he has for a role that he isn't actually fulfilling.
I'm reserving judgement on Fletcher. I think he has been asked to step into a number of roles that were unexpected this year due to the turmoil at the club. Let's see what he can do when he can focus on one job.

The Midnight Rambler

And wed just drift all the same. Rangnick calling out the roots of the problem and helping the club pull them out is of utmost importance.
Echo this.

Of course it’s a disappointment how the season has drifted into nothing but the positive is Ralf bluntly highlighting the fundamental faults and giving the leadership no place to hide. And giving advice for how to address these.

Real Name

For a start, he doesn’t appear to have the experience to walk into a Technical Director role - I’m not convinced that he would have in any other top club, therefore I assume he’s got the job because he used to play for us. Also, it should be clear what he does, if he’s doing a good job.
You're aware that ex players stepped into the office in other clubs too without having supposed experience before? This agenda which exists against Fletcher here Is really strange.

Revaulx

I'm reserving judgement on Fletcher. I think he has been asked to step into a number of roles that were unexpected this year due to the turmoil at the club. Let's see what he can do when he can focus on one job.
I might be completely wrong, but I rather get the impression that Fletcher took on the role in perfectly good faith but would actually rather be coaching. I wouldn’t be surprised if he leaves a well, but through his own volition rather than by being pushed out, and gets a coaching or management gig somewhere else.

If ETH wants to give him a job on his coaching staff, then I’d be delighted as long as the club didn’t pressure him into it. Which given recent changes I doubt they would.

AdNani

Nobody knows here what he does exactly, everyone will only guess. That says it all.
why would anyone here know what he does? he's back room staff, it would be a bit weird if they were publicising the day to day jobs of the technical director?

oh and btw, his Job description has been posted on this website about a billion times, he's only in the bench because carrick and mckenna resigned

Revaulx

You're aware that ex players stepped into the office in other clubs too without having supposed experience before? This agenda which exists against Fletcher here Is really strange.
I think it’s largely because of his history as a player.

He wasn’t great for ages and people felt he was the beneficiary of undue favouritism from SAF. People don’t like changing their minds, were resentful when he became good, and rejoice in again having something to berate him for.

I don’t recall Nicky Butt getting the same stick while he was in the job prior to Fletcher. In his case I think scepticism was more deserved, as the role was created for him after he’d been sacked as head of the Academy, and looked like it was largely ceremonial. The fact that when he left they recruited Fletcher as his replacement suggests that it was actually a real job. If it wasn’t surely the role would have lapsed on Butt’s departure?

Gavinb33

Absolutely this and you can bet your arse you can say if one these TD's who has done well at a club as a 1st timer was linked to us our fans would be all over them to come in a do it here, because Fletcher is one of our own some look down on him.

Last edited:

Real Name

I think it’s largely because of his history as a player.

He wasn’t great for ages and people felt he was the beneficiary of undue favouritism from SAF. People don’t like changing their minds, were resentful when he became good, and rejoice in again having something to berate him for.

I don’t recall Nicky Butt getting the same stick while he was in the job prior to Fletcher. In his case I think scepticism was more deserved, as the role was created for him after he’d been sacked as head of the Academy, and looked like it was largely ceremonial. The fact that when he left they recruited Fletcher as his replacement suggests that it was actually a real job. If it wasn’t surely the role would have lapsed on Butt’s departure?
Yeah, agreed. It's really tiresome.

pcaming

United are an embarrassment.
Fletcher likely has zero power at this club, and so many are up in arms. He's likely just acting as the legs to the senior people and that's it, stop tripping over his title which stands for nothing at United.

Cheimoon

Made of cheese
Scout
Supports
no-one in particular
Fletcher's role doesn't have any bearing on how things will go. Fletcher's role to me is very clear, and that is to sell the club to potential new recruits and aid with player development at youth level. He comes across as a very intelligent and articulate person and has a good understanding of the modern football concepts, which is something that was absent with the likes of Butt, Phelan etc from what I heard coming out of their mouths.
Interesting. I don't remember you describing that before. Where do you get that from?

And what would be a correct job title for that?

limerickcitykid

There once was a kid from Toronto...

Adnan

Talent Spotter
Interesting. I don't remember you describing that before. Where do you get that from?

And what would be a correct job title for that?
It was reported at the time of Fletchers appointment as the youth coordinator/technical director on the development side, that along with assisting with development on the youth side of the club, he would also be the person who would get involved when selling the club to prospective new recruits.

Many other clubs have people with Fletchers remit doing similar roles.