Manchester United name John Murtough as Football Director and Darren Fletcher as Technical Director

sunama

Baghdad Bob
What a fecking cretin Murtough is. I also hope the Qataris will come in and ditch him in the most humiliating way too.
Generally, they'll expect results fast and will remove people who aren't good at their job.
We saw what happened at MCFC.
We also saw that once the new owners took over Newcastle, they finished in 4th place, in a CL position.
11 years ago fans bought into the idea that after Fergie retired, we had to turn to crap. Had the owners been from the middle east that would not have happened. Results/trophies would've followed even after Fergie retired.

Owners from the middle east might be rich, but they are not fools. They demand results and will fire staff who are unable to help get those fast results. As it should be.

Words cannot explain how glad I will be after the Glazers are gone along with their "4th place trophy", which I notice fans have now firmly bought into. Finishing in 4th place is absolute failure and the manager, by rights, should get sacked

sunama

Baghdad Bob
Didn't the Sancho fee come down quite a bit? We paid 73m in the end where the previous year all the talks were around 90+. Also, we definitely do seem to still be big on looking domestically, but we're also very strongly linked to Hojlund.
£73M is still about £40M too high.
Sancho isn't good enough to play regularly in a top 4 team. He should be shipped back to Dortmund which is his level.

RC89

Sancho isn't good enough to play regularly in a top 4 team. He should be shipped back to Dortmund which is his level.
How does this respond to my point in any way? My response was him using Sancho as an example of us taking too long to sign players without any drop in price. Sancho actually bucks that trend as he cost us a reported ~£20m less.

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
The most pressing situation at the club which actually can be worked on is shifting players as quickly and competently as possible.

Has there been anything as tangible as Henderson to Forrest though?

Nevilles.Wear.Prada

Supports
JDT
Any new management worth their salt will see right through these two and ship them. You not going to be a powerhouse with under performers at any level. Let alone at the top.

croadyman

The most pressing situation at the club which actually can be worked on is shifting players as quickly and competently as possible.

Yeah we have heard virtually nothing concrete

Varun1

I've said the same thing in another thread... it's a concern that we're not seeing any permanent links other than Hendo.

saivet

I've said the same thing in another thread... it's a concern that we're not seeing any permanent links other than Hendo.
Even that one has gone quiet. The Athletic mentioned that Forrest are waiting for clarity on DDG's situation before making a move. I think he will still be sold but it might not be done as quickly as hoped.

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
Even that one has gone quiet. The Athletic mentioned that Forrest are waiting for clarity on DDG's situation before making a move. I think he will still be sold but it might not be done as quickly as hoped.
End of the month there will be certain clarity over DDG

Crashoutcassius

All the geniuses on the forum were going insane telling us to 'just pay 120m' the season before saying 'thats what serious clubs do'

buchansleftleg

Whilst I'm not a massive fan of the Qatari ownership outcome...I can see it having a massive benefit, over and above the whole spending money like it's going out of fashion approach. If we are a privately owned company again we can swallow the bitter pill of losing money on failed transfers far more easily and the Manager won't be faced with a situation where he is "encouraged" to play failing players to try and keep them in the shop window.

Time and again we have allowed players to languish in the reserves, or send them out on meaningless loans and even extend their contracts in order to preserve their "market value" to keep the books looking healthier than they actually are. In the early days of Pep's reign he must have bought 5 or 6 right/left backs at around £50m each...some where a massive mistake...others flourished. Those that weren't up to it were quickly sold / moved on.

Under the Glazers we constantly went after what we hoped would be the "sure thing" and often massively overpaid. However we have seen that 2 of these "sure things" namely Sancho and Maguire, have totally wilted when faced with the pressure of playing for us. ETH has shown he can get a good tune out of an old box and a piece of string...he doesn't need to be handed John Lennon's Rickenbacker. He has shown that he needs players with application, variety/depth and character and can make the best out of them.

The Boy

Supports
Brighton and Hove Albion
I’m curious how you rate Fletcher as under performing
From the outside looking in I thought Murtough and Fletcher are a vast improvement on the Woodward Judge set up you had.

People don't seem to realise it takes time to change once you take over a failing regime. It seems lots of new people have been hired in critical positions and the "data department" has been massively strengthened. By all accounts United have a pretty good set up right now, I'd be surprised if that was all ripped up for something new, though it would be no surprise to see Arnold moved on as I imagine new owners would want their own man at the very top.

Gordon S

We were looking at a 20yo with attacking stats that had him around top 5 in europe iirc. Expecting Dortmund to sell a player like that for 30m is a bit naive?

Licha M

Murtough showing himself to be every bit as incompetent as Judge when it comes to negotiations for players.

I hope Jassim gives him the bullet, and sends Fletcher on his way too. We've no hope with these tits at the wheel.

Crimson King

From the outside looking in I thought Murtough and Fletcher are a vast improvement on the Woodward Judge set up you had.

People don't seem to realise it takes time to change once you take over a failing regime. It seems lots of new people have been hired in critical positions and the "data department" has been massively strengthened. By all accounts United have a pretty good set up right now, I'd be surprised if that was all ripped up for something new, though it would be no surprise to see Arnold moved on as I imagine new owners would want their own man at the very top.
You're right but nobody on here wants to listen.

Woodward was a crackpot who seemed to want to control everything, whereas Arnold at least has tried to separate the football from the business as much as possible.

The common denominator has always been the Glazers. They infamously take an age to sign off on anything, which in a time limited transfer window just undermines everything. They've also leeched vital transfer funds away from the club.

It doesn't matter how good your sporting/football director is if they're having to work within that decision making system, they're going to be hamstrung.

If Tony Bloom had owned Utd for the last 10 years then there's no doubt in my mind we'd be in a much healthier position than we are now. He would have delegated most of that responsibility to people that knew their shit on day one.

UnitedSofa

You'll Never Walk Away
Murtough showing himself to be every bit as incompetent as Judge when it comes to negotiations for players.

I hope Jassim gives him the bullet, and sends Fletcher on his way too. We've no hope with these tits at the wheel.
Fun fact, judge didn’t negotiate with the clubs only the players, he negotiated the players contracts, so basically personal terms.

& I’m not going to get into Fletchers job because no matter how many times I say it, no one will either understand it or actually listen to what I’m saying

Coops73

You know this how? It fecking cracks me up when random internet folk talk like they’re sitting in the same room as these people.

Surely you can’t judge until the window has closed and even then things are going to be pretty fecked up due to the sale of the club.

Unreal

dinostar77

:lol:

He's not the head of recruitment operations thats someone else: steve brown.

Theres a team of people involved as per the org chart.

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff

What’s the beef with Fletcher?

Skills

Snitch
:lol:

He's not the head of recruitment operations thats someone else: steve brown.

Theres a team of people involved as per the org chart.

Hopefully that structure changes under the new organisation.

Demote the managers role to a head coach, and have him reporting into the DOF.

dinostar77

Hopefully that structure changes under the new organisation.

Demote the managers role to a head coach, and have him reporting into the DOF.
Who knows what new owners will do. They may just put someone they trust in at the top above Richard Arnold for awhile and take their time to work out what they want to change.

We just did a re-org so be interesting to see what new owners do.

Licha M

Listen to Darren Fletcher and we sign Nathan Collins instead of Martinez.

Why hire the best people for the job when you can just bring in ex players who have no experience of running a club at the top level :rolleyes:

Blood Mage

Including Arnold all three are clueless Glazer stooges who are not fit for purpose. I'm confident the new owners will give them the boot so I'm calm.

Berbasbullet

Too Boring For A Funny Tagline
Listen to Darren Fletcher and we sign Nathan Collins instead of Martinez.

Why hire the best people for the job when you can just bring in ex players who have no experience of running a club at the top level :rolleyes:
We bleeding well signed Martinez under Fletcher, you haven't got a clue who Fletcher is championing in the background.

Baxquux

We bleeding well signed Martinez under Fletcher, you haven't got a clue who Fletcher is championing in the background.
Martinez was an ETH project. You're right that we don't know forensically who Fletcher is championing, so can only rely upon leaks or briefings from within different factions ( which there are, even if things seem to be slightly more unified, and perhaps unified in waiting for Glazers to sell, than before). . Fletcher is supposed to be a pretty smart guy by all accounts - but so is Lampard , who even 'has the tests' to prove it as well as evidence of 'on-field' IQ and talent maximizing, but that didn't translate into management roles - and even a useful coach, but (a) he's still 'raw' at exec level, and (b) reports discussing who Fletcher has specifically supported as an acquisition, whether they're individually gospel or not, tend to have him favouring a 'nathan collins' kind of profile. Maybe Collins will end up a decent player - I'm all for pursuing promising young players and don't think we 'box smart enough' in that regard, given budget constraints- but I think people are right to be wary, short of positive evidence , that DF's doing better than presenting a professional face when meeting with prospective signings as part of a group...