Manchester United name John Murtough as Football Director and Darren Fletcher as Technical Director

Tyrion

Very poor mans Roy Keane
I remember the days when posters talked about whether the 09 and 11 finals could have been won with him in the team.

Unqualified jobs for the boys bollocks. Semi decent player for us that should be it.
We do that a lot. Even Murtough was already at the club. This "United" DNA thing is complete bs. Get the people who are the best at their job to do their job for you. It's not hard but we insist on putting bankers, accountants and ex players with no managerial experience to run the club and are surprised when they fail.

roseguy64

I get why we gave him what we supposedly did but it's a shambles. One good recent season, one shocking and a few meady ones before that.

If he wasn't the face of the club, he wouldn't be getting £250k, let alone £350k/week. He's absolutely played us.
Other clubs must be poor judges of talent if they want Rashford and would give him similar money but you're a better judge I guess.

Rightnr

Wants players fined for winning away.
Other clubs must be poor judges of talent if they want Rashford and would give him similar money but you're a better judge I guess.
Oh, I see it's the classic other people know better argument. Not worth my time.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
I get why we gave him what we supposedly did but it's a shambles. One good recent season, one shocking and a few meady ones before that.

If he wasn't the face of the club, he wouldn't be getting £250k, let alone £350k/week. He's absolutely played us.
The reality is that clubs like PSG and Chelsea would happily pay Rashford 350k a week, especially if he was available on a free transfer as he would be in a year's time. The Athletic has previously reported on a £400k contract offer from PSG made last summer and Chelsea are currently reportedly paying the likes of Sterling approx. £325k a week having payed a transfer fee for him on top of that.

Unlike some other big contracts we've handed out over the years, this would actually be in line the high-end market's valuation of Rashford, whether you personally agree with that valuation or not.

And yes, being the face of the club does factor into how the club value him. And for good reason. There is literal value to the club in it.

Last edited:

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
It would cost us that to replace Rashfords goals in the team. I can’t believe there are those who’s rather see him leave. Actually I can, for they walk amongst us.

Traub

It would cost us that to replace Rashfords goals in the team. I can’t believe there are those who’s rather see him leave. Actually I can, for they walk amongst us.
We would need to find an extra 60m+ (minimum) just for a transfer fee for a replacement. Even if the replacement earns 150k less per week (impossible to be honest), that's about 8m a year. So it would take about 8 years to payback that initial 60m excluding interest, so even longer in reality. Also, Rashford actually loves the club and is settled, and he is clearly a positive ambassador for the club's image. It's a no brainer from a financial perspective.

roseguy64

Oh, I see it's the classic other people know better argument. Not worth my time.
If every top club including Manchester United and most fans rate a player there's certainly something good about him I would think. That's all.

Maybe we're all wrong and you're right. Could be.

Mainoldo

They best not mess up this summer. But I wouldn’t be surprised.

Key issues:

Use of the budget
Players Out
De Gea
Greenwood

How they deal with this will impact our season.

The club sale is the club sale.

Tyrion

Yeah at least he's performing for us. Sancho, Maguire, DDG and Antony are all bigger issues as far as their wages goes.

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
Out: Maguire, McT, Fred (?), Williams, Martial (?), Donny, AWB (?), Henderson, Bailly, Telles.
In: World class striker, second choice striker, RB (?), midfielder, backup midfielder (?), gk (?), backup defender.
That is 17 (!) potential transfers. He lost most of June already without doing any of those.

Sparky Rhiwabon

Out: Maguire, McT, Fred (?), Williams, Martial (?), Donny, AWB (?), Henderson, Bailly, Telles.
In: World class striker, second choice striker, RB (?), midfielder, backup midfielder (?), gk (?), backup defender.
That is 17 (!) potential transfers. He lost most of June already without doing any of those.
To be fair, it’s probably out of his hands at the moment. Can’t bring anyone in until the takeover is sorted and can’t afford to lose anyone until we know we can bring in replacements.

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
To be fair, it’s probably out of his hands at the moment. Can’t bring anyone in until the takeover is sorted and can’t afford to lose anyone until we know we can bring in replacements.
I can give him some slack regarding incoming transfers (because of takeover) but sales should have been way ahead by now. No matter who new owner is, ETH will not change his mind towards some players.
Murtough is just way out of his depth on this job.

Sparky Rhiwabon

I can give him some slack regarding incoming transfers but sales should have been way ahead by now. No matter who new owner is, ETH will not change his mind towards some players.
Murtough is just way out of his depth on this job.
Our squad is already too thin so we can’t afford to lose anymore until we can start to bring players in. Worst case scenario will be the same squad as last time, maybe with a few loan returnees

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
Our squad is already too thin so we can’t afford to lose anymore until we can start to bring players in. Worst case scenario will be the same squad as last time, maybe with a few loan returnees
We have bloated squad. We have to sell few players.

wolvored

I remember the days when posters talked about whether the 09 and 11 finals could have been won with him in the team.there
No chance. Fletcher wouldnt have made one iota of a difference. That was prime Barca and Fletcher was average at best, so no way.

Eddy_JukeZ

No chance. Fletcher wouldnt have made one iota of a difference. That was prime Barca and Fletcher was average at best, so no way.
Fletcher wasn't average at best.

But we were losing either way in 2011. I think 2009 could have gone differently with a different team selection, but Fletcher was a miss that season.

Morpheus 7

These clowns all need to be booted out when new owner arrives. Two off them looked pissed on a stag in Barcelona all summer last year. The other one has his two kids playing in city academy, now to be bought by the club. Meanwhile Iqbal being sold to for a million and Bailly for 2m.

Bums the lot of them, they have a done a fantastic job of embarrassing us since being put in there roles. Need to feck of with them crooks in charge.

sglowrider

Thinks the caf is 'wokeish'.
It's mindboggling really. Any other fans would take him yesterday yet he seems to be questioned by our own.

Howl

Fletcher wasn't average at best.

But we were losing either way in 2011. I think 2009 could have gone differently with a different team selection, but Fletcher was a miss that season.
I still hold the belief that if we had played Nani, Berbatov, and Scholes we could have stood a chance. When Nani and Scholes came on during that game we were able to hold the ball better. I know everyone always gives the excuse that it was just Barca taking their foot off the gas but I watched them enough to know they never took their foot off the gas. Also Berba's hold up play as well as his ability to flick the ball onto other players would have helped us in my opinion. Valencia and Carrick were non-existent that game. Anderson also pocketed Messi not but two months later in a friendly so probably should have played as well thinking about it. As an aside did they ever say why we had to play in our second kit when the game was held in England?

MUFC OK

They best not mess up this summer. But I wouldn’t be surprised.

Key issues:

Use of the budget
Players Out
De Gea
Greenwood

How they deal with this will impact our season.

The club sale is the club sale.
We always kick the can down the road. A case study in poor planning and ineptitude. We have not clue what we are doing beyond new Rashy contract and Mount in my opinion.

Highfather_24

I still hold the belief that if we had played Nani, Berbatov, and Scholes we could have stood a chance. When Nani and Scholes came on during that game we were able to hold the ball better. I know everyone always gives the excuse that it was just Barca taking their foot off the gas but I watched them enough to know they never took their foot off the gas. Also Berba's hold up play as well as his ability to flick the ball onto other players would have helped us in my opinion. Valencia and Carrick were non-existent that game. Anderson also pocketed Messi not but two months later in a friendly so probably should have played as well thinking about it. As an aside did they ever say why we had to play in our second kit when the game was held in England?
The 2011 XI was the same eleven we played in the whole CL run and the PL final run. It was a set XI.

But I agree I would have gone for something like :

--Rooney---Berbatov----Nani
---Park------Carrick---Scholes

Stick Park on Messi. Having Scholes, Nani and Berbatov improves ball retention by so much.

Howl

The 2011 XI was the same eleven we played in the whole CL run and the PL final run. It was a set XI.

Stick Park on Messi. Having Scholes, Nani and Berbatov improves ball retention by so much.
We stuck Park on Messi and Dani Alves duty from what I recall so while the formation had him as a left midfielder he was more in a free role pressing those two. Carrick at that point in time still wasn't that great for us compared to how he was post 201. I think Anderson over Carrick at the time provides the energy you would lose by having Scholes there but it would be a positive trade as Scholes was the only midfielder we had at the time that could pass around their press. Also, I still disagree with Fergie's treatment of Nani that year switching him to the left once Valencia got back as he was one of the most productive wingers in Europe that season and it was pretty much the only season where he predominately played on the right where he was better rather than on the left and then dropping him completely in the final. If people look at the stats for that year Nani had 22 goal contributions in 24 games playing on the right. Even Hazards best ever season saw 31 in 37 and yet we relegated him to his worse position and dropped him. Maddening thinking about it.

Highfather_24

We stuck Park on Messi and Dani Alves duty from what I recall so while the formation had him as a left midfielder he was more in a free role pressing those two. Carrick at that point in time still wasn't that great for us compared to how he was post 201. I think Anderson over Carrick at the time provides the energy you would lose by having Scholes there but it would be a positive trade as Scholes was the only midfielder we had at the time that could pass around their press. Also, I still disagree with Fergie's treatment of Nani that year switching him to the left once Valencia got back as he was one of the most productive wingers in Europe that season and it was pretty much the only season where he predominately played on the right where he was better rather than on the left and then dropping him completely in the final. If people look at the stats for that year Nani had 22 goal contributions in 24 games playing on the right. Even Hazards best ever season saw 31 in 37 and yet we relegated him to his worse position and dropped him. Maddening thinking about it.
No Park didnt do a man marking job like say Phil Jones did on Ronaldo in 2013, or even Park against Milan. And Anderson would be positionally less aware than Carrick, we rarely played Ando and Scholes together.

sugar_kane

Not saying I rate Murtough at all, but it must be a challenge leading United's summer transfer windows when every club wants to rip us off. Blame Woodward for that one.

UnitedSofa

You'll Never Walk Away
I hope some of you give you Murtough and the recruitment team credit if he manages to pull off Onana and Mount by the end of the month

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
Not saying I rate Murtough at all, but it must be a challenge leading United's summer transfer windows when every club wants to rip us off. Blame Woodward for that one.
Transfer window is not just about buying players (where he sucks too). Guy, so far as DoF, managed to loan Henderson, sell Iqbal for 900k, sell Pereira for 10 mil and terminate Ronaldo's contract.

Guy is just out of depth on this position.

El Jefe

The starting 11 that ended 2011 played some of the best football in the SAF era in my opinion. The players weren't as good as previous teams but the energy and workrate of this team was incredible sprinkled with the obvious quality. Rooney in the hole was playing like the 3rd best player in the world, you couldn't move him out wide in that form.

Valencia Carrick Giggs Park
Rooney Hernandez

That front 6 picked itself based on how we ended the season. Truth is we would've lost no matter what we did, there is no change on earth that would have not seen us get outclassed that night. Barcelona 2011 is still the greatest team I've ever seen.

2009 I do think Fletcher could have made a difference. He was on fire and it was less about Fletcher and more about Giggs replacing him. Fletcher, Anderson and Carrick had a great partnership to end that season and Giggs' inclusion unbalanced it.

UnitedSofa

You'll Never Walk Away
Transfer window is not just about buying players (where he sucks too). Guy, so far as DoF, managed to loan Henderson, sell Iqbal for 900k, sell Pereira for 10 mil and terminate Ronaldo's contract.

A guy who had a very high position at the PL is out of his depth :lol: :lol: :lol:

UnitedSofa

You'll Never Walk Away

No Park didnt do a man marking job like say Phil Jones did on Ronaldo in 2013, or even Park against Milan. And Anderson would be positionally less aware than Carrick, we rarely played Ando and Scholes together.
The starting 11 that ended 2011 played some of the best football in the SAF era in my opinion. The players weren't as good as previous teams but the energy and workrate of this team was incredible sprinkled with the obvious quality. Rooney in the hole was playing like the 3rd best player in the world, you couldn't move him out wide in that form.

Valencia Carrick Giggs Park
Rooney Hernandez

That front 6 picked itself based on how we ended the season. Truth is we would've lost no matter what we did, there is no change on earth that would have not seen us get outclassed that night. Barcelona 2011 is still the greatest team I've ever seen.

2009 I do think Fletcher could have made a difference. He was on fire and it was less about Fletcher and more about Giggs replacing him. Fletcher, Anderson and Carrick had a great partnership to end that season and Giggs' inclusion unbalanced it.
Can we take this conversation into a relevant thread and not clog up this one?

El Jefe

I hope some of you give you Murtough and the recruitment team credit if he manages to pull off Onana and Mount by the end of the month
Credit him for Mount?? Havertz and Kovacic have pretty much been wrapped up by City and Arsenal despite their interest seemingly coming after ours for Mount.

Mount wants to leave, has refused new contracts and is set on joining us. This is as easy of a deal to complete.

Can we take this conversation into a relevant thread and not clog up this one?
Sorry John.

UnitedSofa

You'll Never Walk Away
Credit him for Mount?? Havertz and Kovacic have pretty much been wrapped up by City and Arsenal despite their interest seemingly coming after ours for Mount.

Mount wants to leave, has refused new contracts and is set on joining us. This is as easy of a deal to complete.

Sorry John.
“Easy” - this ain’t FM pal

Tom Van Persie

No relation
The odds are stacked against our football staff. Not only do they have to operate under the dithering Glazers but they're also having to navigate the summer while the club's future hangs in the balance due to uncertainty over the ownership.

I still have no idea how good Murtough is because I don't think he's really had a fair crack at the job yet. Even last summer we were going through a big transition due to the Glazers hiring his people too late.

Crimson King

Iqbal never played a game for the club and 10m was probably more than Pereira's market value at the time. Just because he's done well for Fulham since doesn't change that.

It's easier to sell players when other clubs actually want them and they're not on massive wages. Getting a few more 10m for players like Pereira would be a great start.

baskinginthesun

The odds are stacked against our football staff. Not only do they have to operate under the dithering Glazers but they're also having to navigate the summer while the club's future hangs in the balance due to uncertainty over the ownership.

I still have no idea how good Murtough is because I don't think he's really had a fair crack at the job yet. Even last summer we were going through a big transition due to the Glazers hiring his people too late.
Agreed. It's still early days in this window as well. It's not like we're on our 3rd choice player at this point either.

Withnail

You've a bit of a point with Pereira but he'd been impossible to shift prior that and we've a sell on clause for Iqbal who's obviously not rated at all by the manager.

But come on, you think we should have kept Henderson after the way he behaved (strong rumours he was one the leakers as well) and Ronaldo?? That's hilarious