g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });

Manchester United name John Murtough as Football Director and Darren Fletcher as Technical Director

Tarrou

We’ve not moved on any of the players that desperately need moving so we can sign new players that are better and we’ve had a poor window outside of signing Onana.
thanks, hadn't been keeping up since last week when most were perfectly happy

fallengt

What do they do other than reading ETH's shortlist and cointoss the names?

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
We can have Guardiola as manager and Qatar as owners (with unlimited budget) but while this guy is in the club, we will be in the mess.

Someone

Something
I don't understand why we haven't prioritized signing a striker in terms of timing, and also how is it that we thought a 20 years old is enough. It's already costing us points. I think Mount is a good player but was he what was needed in midfield? Feels like Murtough just does what ETH asks him to do, just as he did with Ole.

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
Rejecting the only decent bid we got for a player who was ready to go.
Don't forget that John managed to drop price for Hojlund. Instead paying 85 mil euros, he payed 80. Huge success.

Guy is valued 40 mil on the market but hey, it is still success.

RORY65

The signing of Antony by itself shows that all the supposed improvements in the structures and recruitment at the club are nonsense really.

There is no way that a properly well run club would have thought it sensible to spend so much on such a limited player and it speaks to either a lack of talent identification to find better, more cost-effective alternatives or a lack of leadership and authority that Ten Hag was able to overrule everyone to force them to spend that much on someone who currently is nowhere near good enough

luke511

This guy hasn't got a scooby, he needs to go before anyone else. A role of errors in the 3 summers he's been director of football, he has zero merit to last any longer. If he doesn't go then Richard Arnold needs to be next for not identifying how damaging he's been.

Mainoldo

I’m being reactionary but sack them. You can’t keep failing to deliver In transfer windows. No big transfers out and still no decision made on Greenwood. It’s pathetic when you manager has to sell to buy.

Telsim

Useless. Doesn't come as a surprise, of course. He's got his cushy job sorted out for the next ten or so years - continuing the great work of his mentor.

Greck

Does anyone believe the extreme deferral to the manager isn't just them having no clue how to put this thing together.

Roboc7

Did anyone really significant change from Murtough, I know people thought a few new scouts and analysts would make all the difference (we had to wait until this summer to see it though apparently). But all the leadership roles are filled with people who have been part of consistent failure, they made careers of it.

It was also apparent last summer that there was no power struggle, ETH was in full control of who we signed and once that happened there was no going back.

Kammy26

I think we are still operating like the SAF days which is insane. Basically the managers are making all the decisions regarding players they want and keep getting it wrong over and over again including this summer.

None of the managers, since have been able to make it work like SAF did, the man was genius in so many ways.

No other serious club operates this way anymore. Every 3-4 years it’s the same shit, new manager with a differing style of play to the last, who doesn’t want the players signed by the previous manager.

It’s going to happen once Ten Hag leaves. Just rinse and repeat.

The Glazers have been letting this happen, along with Murtagh, Arnold etc who are not doing anything about it.

It’s ridiculous and none of this is going to change until we get new ownership and a clear out of the board.

Useless shits the lot of them.

Skills

Snitch
My question is : who does the manager answer to?

If that person isn't the DOF, what's the point of the role? Is it just ceremonial?

Redstain

I think we are still operating like the SAF days which is insane. Basically the managers are making all the decisions regarding players they want and keep getting it wrong over and over again including this summer.

None of the managers, since have been able to make it work like SAF did
Been reiterating this for the longest time all United have done is change the structure without actually allowing those positions to redefine their influences. DOF who clearly doesn't have much foresight for the team and is relying solely on the most dispensable role in football, the managers imprint to spearhead everything. United is undoubtedly the worst run elite club in Europe without hesitation when it comes to the football operation of things. It's got nothing to do with the results because even if the team is successful you cannot be consistent in the long run with the approach United have. The manager is in control of too many variables. It puts an unfair precedent on the manager and his superiors because it's dysfunctional.

Trequarista10

People are being reactionary because of a some poor on field performances.

I'll be reserving judgement until the end of the window. What needs to happen by then, and what looks likely to happen, is the departures of VDB and hopefully Maguire. Possibly one of Martial or McTominay. Loan deals for Diallo and Hannibal to PL side or a team in a decent foreign league. We then need a DM, a backup CB if Maguire goes,and another CF if Martial goes.

Of course I'd like things to happen sooner but at the end of the day it's a tough gig selling players on bloated wages, and it's tough getting funds for transfers from our tight fisted leech owners who are in the process of trying to sell the club anyway. Add to that the Voldemort situation (uncertainty over an "asset" that would have been valued at 100m+ a couple years ago).

croadyman

People are being reactionary because of a some poor on field performances.

I'll be reserving judgement until the end of the window. What needs to happen by then, and what looks likely to happen, is the departures of VDB and hopefully Maguire. Possibly one of Martial or McTominay. Loan deals for Diallo and Hannibal to PL side or a team in a decent foreign league. We then need a DM, a backup CB if Maguire goes,and another CF if Martial goes.

Of course I'd like things to happen sooner but at the end of the day it's a tough gig selling players on bloated wages, and it's tough getting funds for transfers from our tight fisted leech owners who are in the process of trying to sell the club anyway. Add to that the Voldemort situation (uncertainty over an "asset" that would have been valued at 100m+ a couple years ago).
The backup DM needs to be sorted before we kick off against Forest,much like Casemiro between Brentford & scousers last season

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
These feckers had one job. Raise as much cash as possible through sales.

Giggsyking

This fecker should be the first person in the club to be sacked if the club to be sold. I hope SJ or SJR boot him out of the club the minute they walk in.

Tiber

Hes really fecked it up. Which is totally understandable considering he is utterly unqualified for the job

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
6 days before window shuts. So far he messed up basically everything this summer. Can he do at least something good in these 6 days?

bdspeedy

WE won't win ANYTHING until the parasites are out of the club. Owners and board. Even if they succeed at killing the team, they're not leaving until they have squeezed every penney from the carcass. We need to stop attending games. Don't watch. Don't buy ANY GEAR. Don't give them A CENT. Glazers feck the feck off.

flappyjay

This fecker should be the first person in the club to be sacked if the club to be sold. I hope SJ or Sir James Arthur Ratcliffe FIChemE boot him out of the club the minute they walk in.

If we fail to get the parasites out I say we target their men. I have been saying it for a while actually. It's easier to get Arnold and Murtough out than it is to get the Glazers out. We can put them in a position where they have to get in competent people above the manager.

baskinginthesun

6 days before window shuts. So far he messed up basically everything this summer. Can he do at least something good in these 6 days?
Brought in a much needed ST and upgraded our GK. Mount has brought in for competition and energy.

When you are working within a finite budget it's difficult to get things done especially considering the players we were able to freely spend on previously versus what were allowed to spend now.

johnnyteutonic

If we fail to get the parasites out I say we target their men. I have been saying it for a while actually. It's easier to get Arnold and Murtough out than it is to get the Glazers out. We can put them in a position where they have to get in competent people above the manager.
I agree with this sentiment but didn't some fans chase out Woodward? Or at the very least play a part in him leaving? Because they certainly didn't fire him.
And look who replaced him...

flappyjay

I agree with this sentiment but didn't some fans chase out Woodward? Or at the very least play a part in him leaving? Because they certainly didn't fire him.
And look who replaced him...
Yes some fans even ended up at his house. The thing is the point wasn't driven home about his failure in guiding the club to success. He was the super league fall guy.

wolvored

I said give Murtough a chance, how wrong was I? When he values McTom at £40-45 million (and no one will touch him for that amount) then hes useless. We could sell for £30 mill to WH or BM, a fair price and get Amrabat or similar. You will have the odd caftard still back him, but I'm out.

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
I said give Murtough a chance, how wrong was I? When he values McTom at £40-45 million (and no one will touch him for that amount) then hes useless. We could sell for £30 mill to WH or BM, a fair price and get Amrabat or similar. You will have the odd caftard still back him, but I'm out.
It is funny how football fans look differently on football staff and on football players. When you see a player in action for one season, you know his limits and abilities. And you expect that next season he can be maybe 10% better than that. In other words; if your striker scored 10 goals, you don't expect 30 goals next season.
Football staff on the other hand; completely different story. Every season they have clean start.

tomaldinho1

Everyone moaning about sales, I swear you all moan about selling players on the cheap as well?

Can't have it both ways, if Murtough is holding out for 'good' prices you can only judge him after the window closes, he'll have to be playing chicken with all these potential buyers.

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
Everyone moaning about sales, I swear you all moan about selling players on the cheap as well?

Can't have it both ways, if Murtough is holding out for 'good' prices you can only judge him after the window closes, he'll have to be playing chicken with all these potential buyers.
Then we shall see in 5 days.