Manchester United sign Raphael Varane! (not in time for Leeds)

Status
Not open for further replies.

DannyDee

Even if he is just over his peak he should still be an enormous upgrade on Lindelof, I wouldn't worry too much here, 28 is not old.
I feel CBs peak later. We got Vidic at 25, and say his best from about 26-32. Rio was high-end until about 35, and had multiple great years past the age of 28 despite playing an insane amount of games from the age of 18 on.

A-man

Seems unusual that Madrid offered him more money than United to stay but he still rejected it?

Very much Madrid wanted to keep Varane
If they had given the money they pay Alaba to Varane, they would have kept him. Why they chose Alaba over Varane is beyond me but is seems they did.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
If they had given the money they pay Alaba to Varane, they would have kept him. Why they chose Alaba over Varane is beyond me but is seems they did.
Because he already said he's not signing a new contract, he wanted a new challenge. Beside, signing Alaba for free and let Ramos go and sell Varane is profit business for Real so they can afford Mbappe.

A-man

Because he already said he's not signing a new contract, he wanted a new challenge.
Of course a player doesn’t say “I want more money” in an interview. I’ve never heard that. But I’m the end money talks otherwise we would have had him for a normal salary.

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
If leaving was the only driving force behind this transfer , then we wouldn’t need to pay him this huge salary.
Yeah because United is the only club where he could have got a new challenge right

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
Of course a player doesn’t say “I want more money” in an interview. I’ve never heard that. But I’m the end money talks otherwise we would have had him for a normal salary.
Do you even know what salary we are paying him ha

ayushreddevil9

Foootball hinders the adrenaline of transfers.
If leaving was the only driving force behind this transfer , then we wouldn’t need to pay him this huge salary.
What number do you have in mind? He will be paid under 200k pw iirc.

A-man

Whatever you want to believe. Bottom line is Real offered him a bigger contract to stay than United. He wanted to go and more importantly wanted to join United.
Never heard that Madrid’s offer was bigger than United’s. How big was their offer?

TheReligion

Abusive
Never heard that Madrid’s offer was bigger than United’s. How big was their offer?
Bigger than United's. It was quite widely reported that money wasn't the driving factor and he's a big admirer of United and the Premier League. It was the only place he wanted to go.

As said he's apparently earning what Maguire is basic wage.

You need to get yourself up to speed with things man.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
I strongly doubt he’s getting paid 190/w
It doesn't suit your argument so you have doubt. His wages could be just 190/w but with bonus of winning UCL or PL or it's just 190/w without bonus. Maguire's wages has no PL and UCL bonus anyway.

pratyush_utd

Can't tell DeGea and Onana apart.
That is the base wage. There is a lot of confusion because the way our wage gets reported. Final wage will include bonus ( like retention bonus, CL bonus etc) + image rights payment.

From football leaks document, they mentioned Pogba base wage as 144k but when you include his image rights and bonuses it goes upto 290K. We dont have breakdown for all the players so we dont know what is their final wage is.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
That is the base wage. There is a lot of confusion because the way our wage gets reported. Final wage will include bonus ( like retention bonus, CL bonus etc) + image rights payment.

From football leaks document, they mentioned Pogba base wage as 144k but when you include his image rights and bonuses it goes upto 290K. We dont have breakdown for all the players so we dont know what is their final wage is.
Pogba wages without bonus of qualification CL is 220k p/w. We know we just set our standard higher in our contract to winning UCL/PL since Sancho's wages consists of winning UCL/PL bonus. If Varane's wages is 190k p/w and if with bonus of winning UCL/PL boost his wages to 300k p/w, would I think it's a fair wages? 100% Yes! I expect similar new contract bonus on Bruno and Shaw in upcoming months (reported we are offering them new deal soon).

A-man

It doesn't suit your argument so you have doubt. His wages could be just 190/w but with bonus of winning UCL or PL or it's just 190/w without bonus. Maguire's wages has no PL and UCL bonus anyway.
I really don’t need anything to suit arguments. I’ve never seen this mentioned beforehand d the same source you used has also written he doubled his wages at United. Almost all Spanish media has reported similar, about £10 mill per year after taxes.
Why do you?
Because 190 is too low for him to make the move. Also there would be more collection for his signature.

pratyush_utd

Can't tell DeGea and Onana apart.
Pogba wages without bonus of qualification CL is 220k p/w. We know we just higher our standard in our contract to winning UCL/PL since Sancho's wages consists of winning UCL/PL bonus. If Varane's wages is 190k p/w and if with bonus of winning UCL/PL boost his wages to 300k p/w, would I think it's worthy? 100% Yes! I expect similar new contract bonus on Bruno and Shaw in upcoming months (reported we are offering them new deal soon).
We cant say for sure what is the wage of any player. This is what I am referencing for Pogba's wage

You can see how you can twist anyone salary by omitting certain part of the contract.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
We cant say for sure what is the wage of any player. This is what I am referencing for Pogba's wage

You can see how you can twist anyone salary by omitting certain part of the contract.
You just made the situation worst on Pogba's wages. So that means we are paying 274k p/w if we don't qualify UCL spot. I thought we only pay him 220k p/w without quality UCL.

TheReligion

Abusive
I really don’t need anything to suit arguments. I’ve never seen this mentioned beforehand d the same source you used has also written he doubled his wages at United. Almost all Spanish media has reported similar, about £10 mill per year after taxes.

Because 190 is too low for him to make the move. Also there would be more collection for his signature.
Is it hard to believe, as Fabrizio Romano and many others have reported, that he has a bit of a thing for United and only wanted to move to us? The guys idol was Rio Ferdinand growing up.

I don't understand why people seem to think United aren't a pull any more. One of the biggest clubs in the world with a rich history and bright future.

Other clubs haven't been in for Sancho or Varane as both apparently were very clear that they wanted to come to United. There's no smoke and mirrors.

A-man

Is it hard to believe, as Fabrizio Romano and many others have reported, that he has a bit of a thing for United and only wanted to move to us? The guys idol was Rio Ferdinand growing up.

I don't understand why people seem to think United aren't a pull any more. One of the biggest clubs in the world with a rich history and bright future.

Other clubs haven't been in for Sancho or Varane as both apparently were very clear that they wanted to come to United. There's no smoke and mirrors.
I don’t know if United has so much bigger status than Real that we could pull players easily. He probably likes United, but I mean what else would he say? Of course money is part of it like always.

Sancho was an expensive signature with also quite high salary. I don’t doubt he wanted to join United. But I don’t doubt he’d joined another club if that had doubled his salary.

I saw reports from Spain that his new salary was doubled compared to the one in Madrid and it would give him 197 per week.To double his salary that means this would be, as normal in Spain, reported after taxes. This number was later quoted in other media but without taking taxes into account.

TheReligion

Abusive
I don’t know if United has so much bigger status than Real that we could pull players easily. He probably likes United, but I mean what else would he say? Of course money is part of it like always.

Sancho was an expensive signature with also quite high salary. I don’t doubt he wanted to join United. But I don’t doubt he’d joined another club if that had doubled his salary.

I saw reports from Spain that his new salary was doubled compared to the one in Madrid and it would give him 197 per week.To double his salary that means this would be, as normal in Spain, reported after taxes. This number was later quoted in other media but without taking taxes into account.
The player had been at Madrid for ten years and wanted to move on. He likes United and enjoys the PL and challenge it presents. He also seems to like the direction the club is taking.

Madrid offered him more money and Ancelotti asked him to stay. He told them he wanted to go to United so Perez agreed.

Not sure what the point is about the salary but we aren't paying him more than Madrid wanted to pay him and he's not chasing the money. That much is pretty clear no?

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
The source that I used is l'equipe which is French's source. It's not the same source. If you are neutral, you shouldn't believe both 190k/w and 350k-370k/w until tier 1 source confirms it, but of course you are not neutral here as you picks the number that suits your argument.

Why? Real asked players to take paycut.

Winrar

Honestly kinda can't believe this is happening. While Varane hasn't been at his best, he's still a class CB, a position that we also need to strengthen as well.

If I was being pessimistic, it almost feels like when we signed Schweinsteiger, but even then Varane's couple years younger than when former came to us.

Nights

SAF was on the verge of signing him 10 years ago; only Zidane’s last minute intervention got him to Madrid. He clearly has a soft spot for United and has no issues coming here.

You think any of the other top PL clubs wouldn’t spend the fees being quoted to bring in an experienced world class CB if he were interested in joining any team in the EPL?

A-man

The player had been at Madrid for ten years and wanted to move on. He likes United and enjoys the PL and challenge it presents. He also seems to like the direction the club is taking.

Madrid offered him more money and Ancelotti asked him to stay. He told them he wanted to go to United so Perez agreed.

Not sure what the point is about the salary but we aren't paying him more than Madrid wanted to pay him and he's not chasing the money. That much is pretty clear no?
Ive only read that Madrid could not match United’s offer.

The source that I used is l'equipe which is French's source. It's not the same source. If you are neutral, you shouldn't believe both 190k/w and 350k-370k/w until tier 1 source confirms it, but of course you are not neutral here as you picks the number that suits your argument.

Why? Real asked players to take paycut.

What do you mean neutral? About what? I’ve read something totally different than you. Has nothing to do about being neutral, etc. The general consensus seems to be that he doubled his salary and it is now somewhere around 10 millions after taxes. This was also reported by l'equipe

A-man

SAF was on the verge of signing him 10 years ago; only Zidane’s last minute intervention got him to Madrid. He clearly has a soft spot for United and has no issues coming here.

You think any of the other top PL clubs wouldn’t spend the fees being quoted to bring in an experienced world class CB if he were interested in joining any team in the EPL?
I think they would, but his salary demand was too big.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
Ive only read that Madrid could not match United’s offer.

What do you mean neutral? About what? The best weak consensus seems to be that he doubled his salary and it is now somewhere around 10 millions after taxes. This was also reported by l'equipe
How is that the best weak consensus when Real asked players to take paycut? l'equipe is not spanish mate, you told me the 10m is from spanish media.

Status
Not open for further replies.