Manchester United sign Raphael Varane! (not in time for Leeds)

Status
Not open for further replies.

diarm

I heard it's delayed because they asked Marie Meredith to do the artwork for the press release and they're waiting for Varane to grow an afro.

BarstoolProphet

This joke of a club managed to sign Sancho and Varane in the same window. Hopefully they manage to sign Haaland next summer so that we can upgrade its status to 'Mediocre'.

lsd

The Oracle
Wouldnt all the above also apply to Lukaku who was announced just a few days after the deal?

No you are just being spoilt for assuming a player we signed weeks ago would actually be registered by the club to start our season.

I mean so long as he is ready for next season we should all just marvel at how professional a club we are :rolleyes:

Mike Smalling

I heard it's delayed because they asked Marie Meredith to do the artwork for the press release and they're waiting for Varane to grow an afro.
Unfortunately Marie Megadeth has gone into hiding after she was crushed in the voting last week. Poor soul.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Wouldnt all the above also apply to Lukaku who was announced just a few days after the deal?
Sounds like Chelsea were a lot more willing in their negotiations re: image rights, should the below be true.

acnumber9

However you want to spin it, the fact United have failed to formally announce Varane and have him registered in the squad is a bit comical in light of Lukaku already being registered and ready to make his Chelsea debut. While the panic is maybe over the top, there is nothing normal about this delay.
Is Lukaku ready to make his Chelsea debut? Or is he actually going to miss their opening game the same way Varane will?

romufc

What can the club do about VISA, quarantine and reported trouble with image rights? You compare this situation directly with other transfers and give the blame to our club and staff without knowing nothing about the context. It’s not even rational criticism it’s “the club is a joke” straight away.
Nothing on quarantine, but they should know what rules and regulations apply for Visas.

I can't compare but you are very knowledgeable ? You know it image rights?

Image rights is part of personal terms... so if you are reading about it being image rights.. I am sure the same source probably also said personal terms agreed over a month ago?

Jeppers7

Pogfamily Mafia
Weird comments from Ole. Very vague. Talks about quarantine but that finished Tuesday. Then said the only reason he won’t play is because he hasn’t trained.

Strange.

mobmob

Okay calling out the club because they take their time to finalise transfers is hysterical.
Guess you have some very low standards.
I do think Lem has a point though, chill pill needed! After he had a Visa delay and then had to quarantine for a week, he wasn't starting first game anyways, after that fact why would the club rush the image rights negotiations, I would rather they took time on contracts, than end up like Barcelona who just bowed down to player demands with contracts, and look at their mess!!

Don't forget the aforementioned, Lukaku, Messi, Grealish are going to City, PSG, Chelsea, who don't really care much about image rights etc, our owners don't have bottomless pockets like those three.

Deep breathes enjoy us smashing Leeds and enjoy Verane's debut against Southampton! The club has mate some great signings at great prices in area of need I think we should be praising them than bashing them!

Big Andy

Bloke
Isolation shouldn't have any effect on the contract "I dotting and T crossing", that can be done remotely.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
Is Lukaku ready to make his Chelsea debut? Or is he actually going to miss their opening game the same way Varane will?
That’s a very good question (I don’t know the answer)

Although maybe not a fair comparison as the clubs seemed to agree a fee for Varane a good few weeks before they did for Lukaku

Are there any other players at any other PL clubs making their debut this weekend whose clubs agreed fees at around the same time we signed Varane? (again, I don’t know the answer!)

TrueRed79

People can say we have signed him etc, but the fact it was announced a few weeks ago yet he hasn't trained with the squad really is unbelievable.

Matthew84!

Weird comments from Ole. Very vague. Talks about quarantine but that finished Tuesday. Then said the only reason he won’t play is because he hasn’t trained.

Strange.
He says he had to quarantine and isolation, perhaps he's had to isolate after because he was in contact with someone with covid?

VinzentFTW

Supports
Liverpool
We have to be the slowest club on the table. Probably very nit picky, arrogant and horrible to negotiate with.

romufc

I do think Lem has a point though, chill pill needed! After he had a Visa delay and then had to quarantine for a week, he wasn't starting first game anyways, after that fact why would the club rush the image rights negotiations, I would rather they took time on contracts, than end up like Barcelona who just bowed down to player demands with contracts, and look at their mess!!

He trained yesterday, so still a chance for the bench! Don't forget the aforementioned, Lukaku, Messi, Grealish are going to City, PSG, Chelsea, who don't really care much about image rights etc, our owners don't have bottomless pockets like those three.

Deep breathes enjoy us smashing Leeds and enjoy Verane's debut against Southampton! The club has mate some great signings at great prices in area of need I think we should be praising them than bashing them!
The reason we were praising the club earlier is because they got the business done early.. to have the signings ready for the start of the PL.

So you know more than Ole? who has clearly said in his press conference he hasn't trained and not signed so no chance he will be involved?

Are you implying that PSG, City and Chelsea have different contracts to United, most clubs contracts are very similar, just because they have alot of money doesn't mean they ignore contracts and elements of it, or suggest they carry out less due diligence than United.

diarm

Although maybe not a fair comparison as the clubs seemed to agree a fee for Varane a good few weeks before they did for Lukaku

Are there any other players at any other PL clubs making their debut this weekend whose clubs agreed fees at around the same time we signed Varane? (again, I don’t know the answer!)
There were reports the other day that Lukaku has to quarantine until next Monday.

I feel like there are a good few on here that would love nothing more than the entire deal to fall through, just so they can be proved right in their hysteria.

tenpoless

No 6-pack, just 2Pac
Supports
4-4-2 classic
Maybe he hasn't trained due to isolation as well. We don't know how long did he need to self isolate.

Banana Republic

So there we have it, straight from Ole’s mouth.
He hasn't officially signed with us yet (nothing is agreed until it’s all agreed, even the actual transfer, which is an entirely separate deal, will be contingent on personal terms being completed).
So Varane is not a Utd player yet.
He isn’t registered either.
Hasn’t yet met the team.
Hasn’t trained with the team.

There’s got to be more than the delay caused by quarantine and just agreeing minor contract details.

Last edited:

Brownie85

Mes que un muppet!
How long would he isolation have to be anyway?

Don't forget, when he was saying goodbye to his team mates, he was in direct contact with someone who later tested positive for Covid, so it's very likely he'd have to have done a bit of a longer isolation.
To be fair though, i don't really know. I don't know why people are getting so paranoid and worried though? Yes Chelsea signed Lukaku quicker, but we don't know the circumstances around that signing do we. All we know is that apparently part of his medical was done in Milan, so that probably helped things out a little.

Al-T

Chelsea site says that Lukaku's return has "come too late" for him to be involved this weekend. No mention of why.

Our site says that Varane has not completed his proposed move from Real Madrid. Which I suppose is accurate but not exactly positively couched.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
There were reports the other day that Lukaku has to quarantine until next Monday.

I feel like there are a good few on here that would love nothing more than the entire deal to fall through, just so they can be proved right in their hysteria.
It won’t fall through. Although I do think it seems a bit mad how it looked like we got our transfer business done nice and early for once yet neither of our two big summer signings have played a minute of pre-season football and Varane isn’t even eligible for the season opener.

Obviously covid makes this summer way more crazy than usual. Hence I’m interested to know if any other PL clubs “signed” players from a mainland European club around the same time as we did Varane/Sancho but managed to integrate them with their squad quicker than we did.

Does ANYONE know the answer to this question?

choccy77

United are embarrassing.

2 transfers that in theory have all been delayed and yet other clubs and big deals can take 2 to 3 days maximum.

Even Messi is training with PSG already FFS.

acnumber9

He can’t. Fairly sure he’s suffering the same quarantining issue that Varane did. Not to say that it doesn’t seem a bit farcical that we didn’t get all the contract stuff sorted while Varane was quarantining and at least having him training as soon as quarantine ended. The melodrama is just going a little far.

sewey89

Incorrectly predicted the de Jong transfer 2022
So there we have it.
He hasn't officially signed with us yet (nothing is agreed until it’s all agreed, including the transfer).
So not registered with Utd yet.
Hasn’t met the team.
Hasn’t trained with the team.

There’s got to be more than the delay caused by quarantine and just agreeing minor contract details.
He's signed a new deal with Madrid

Brophs

The One and Only
Much better to have Phil Jones on the pitch to kick seven shades of shit out of Leeds anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.