Manchester United sign Raphael Varane! (not in time for Leeds)

Status
Not open for further replies.

romufc

Even if he’d come out of isolation earlier this week, completed and signed the contract, been registered and had a chance to train with the team for 4 or 5 days; he still was never going to be starting for us tomorrow.

No matter how good a CB he is, putting a completely new stranger into the back line, with little time to get to know his team mates, or form any sort of working partnership with the goalie and fellow defender’s, would have been a recipe for total calamity.
Even if he signs later today and trains with the squad from Monday morning, it’s still a risk putting him in the squad for the 2nd fixture.
The latter point is why this is frustrating. We kind of knew he wouldn't make Leeds but now there is a real danger that he may not even make the 2nd fixture.

Gazza

It is possible to be a little bemused why there has been a hold up that precludes Varane's involvement vs Leeds, whilst simultaneously not requiring a chill pill or not losing one's shit. It is a tad strange that paperwork is still outstanding, as any negotiation or discussion regarding the final details surely oculd have been done while Varane was quarantining. It's not something worth getting too annoyed about, but it is a bit of a shame that we are starting the season without one or perhaps even both of our big summer signings ready to go.

Banana Republic

Messi moved from EU to EU ffs.
Messi isn’t an EU citizen, in case it’s slipped your notice?
The French COVID entry restrictions has now been eased for certified, fully vaccinated people, regardless of where they come from.
No quarantine required.

He was also a free agent.
No transfer deal to be negotiated or completed.
PSG don’t need the additional income, either, so they probably gave Messi all he wanted in image rights and all the other add-ons.

NotoriousISSY

$10mil and I fecked it up!
Messi isn’t an EU citizen, in case it’s slipped your notice?
The French COVID entry restrictions has now been eased for certified, fully vaccinated people, regardless of where they come from.
No quarantine required.
Messi definitely has dual nationality.

Giggsy13

:lol:

The season's ruined, I tell you. RUINED.
Not ruined but failure to incorporate players in the squad in a timely manner can have an impact on our start. 3 defeats in the first 6 games last season. We need a perfect start to the season to really push for the title and this is not ideal at all. There will be an adjustment period for Varane and you want that to happen during our relatively easy start to the season.

Gazza

Ok. Answering my own question.

We announced that the clubs had agreed a fee for Varane on July 27th. Two days later, Spurs were still negotiating to sign Romero from Atalanta. He was announced as a Spurs player a week ago (August 6th) and has been training with them this week (so is presumably available for selection this weekend)

Using that one example doesn’t make us look good at all. Although maybe Varane’s agent is being difficult/slow to deal with? Feck knows but it’s not as though we haven’t had a running theme of being a bit shit at getting transfers across the line, going back several years.
Another one is Leon Bailey, Villa confirmed his signing August 4th -- he isolated, trained yesterday, and is available for selection tomorrow according to Dean Smith.

Fully Fledged

As long as he comes then I'm okay with the delay. It takes as long as it takes. He will be the second major part of the jigsaw

I'm more worried that we wont get a CDM in before the close of the transfer window.

King7Eric

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
No evidence to back it up but I think the issue here is probably image rights. We always have issues with image rights of individuals we get to the club. I remember with Jose, it took a long time to sort out the image rights. We didn't sign Dybala because of an image rights issue. Maybe that's what caused the Sancho announcement to be delayed as well. Perhaps we have a different policy with other clubs pertaining to image rights and maybe that's what slows down the final agreement.

Erics_Collar

Theory

1. Singing announced subject to personal terms
2. Personal terms agreed in principle subject to medical.
3. Medical can't take place until after isolation.
4. Minor concerns with medical from United's side. United wanted to adjust terms to more appearance based / less guaranteed £££.
5. Varane's team holding firm.
6. Negotiations ongoing.
7. Woodward got a new phone, can't negotiate until Vodafone send him unlocking code.

NewYorkRed

Not sure what the big deal is. We signed Sancho before him and at best he will be coming off the bench vs Leeds. If Varane would only have been fit enough for the bench, what would even be the point? He wouldn’t have gotten any minutes. Slightly annoying but doesn’t really make a difference in my book since he was never going to start this game in the first place.

croadyman

As long as he comes then I'm okay with the delay. It takes as long as it takes. He will be the second major part of the jigsaw

I'm more worried that we wont get a CDM in before the close of the transfer window.
Yeah I am convinced Ole is happy to wait it out for his beloved Declan's price to come down but personally feel we should get one this summer but gut feeling is that our business is done UNLESS Camavinga indicates he wants to actually come

JB7

The latter point is why this is frustrating. We kind of knew he wouldn't make Leeds but now there is a real danger that he may not even make the 2nd fixture.
No there isn’t :lol:

Goku1983

This is a real joke now Messi and Lukaku announced before Varane isolarion cant be the reason or only reason at least just hope Rimano is right and he actually signed last night

laughtersassassin

Theory

1. Singing announced subject to personal terms
2. Personal terms agreed in principle subject to medical.
3. Medical can't take place until after isolation.
4. Minor concerns with medical from United's side. United wanted to adjust terms to more appearance based / less guaranteed £££.
5. Varane's team holding firm.
6. Negotiations ongoing.
7. Woodward got a new phone, can't negotiate until Vodafone send him unlocking code.
Thing is we could have had him do his medical in Spain before he left. We don't that before

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
Ole wouldn't mention his name if he's not our player, the fact he didn't say "I can't speak players from another club" means he is already ours but WTF are we waiting for to register him? Both clubs already official announced agreed fees, he's already at Manchester means visa had been granted, and medical were done yesterday right?

Are we waiting to sell first before we register him? :lol: Because we already had 25 senior players excluding Varane, Grant and Jones.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Calm down, chaps. Surely we can see off mighty Leeds without Varane.

TheReligion

Abusive
Definitely not allowing myself to think this or it will be meltdown time in a big way
I think it's 50/50 at the moment. Seems agreement isn't there and might not happen. Back to the drawing board? Shame Tuanzebe is now on loan. Perhaps Mengi can do a job or use Mctominay.

Erics_Collar

Calm down, chaps. Surely we see off mighty Leeds without Varane.
Without Varane, Rashford or Cavani, and maybe only a cameo from Sancho.

I'd be a bit concerned about tomorrow, but hopefully being at home will be enough.

Martial tends to look good the first few games of the season before turning sour, so there's that.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Without Varane, Rashford or Cavani, and maybe only a cameo from Sancho.

I'd be a bit concerned about tomorrow, but hopefully being at home will be enough.

Martial tends to look good the first few games of the season before turning sour, so there's that.
We've still got twice the team they do.

Banana Republic

Messi definitely has dual nationality.
Yes he is :lol:
I stand corrected on Messi’s nationality.
However, France’s COVID entry requirements do not differentiate between other EU countries and non- EU countries.
They’re based on a Green, Amber and Red traffic light system, regardless if you’re entering from another EU state or not.

The rules to turn France back to amber came into play on 8th August for what it’s worth.
Are you referring to entering the UK from France?
Messi entered France from Spain. Nothing to do with the UK’s entry status.
Spain is on France’s Amber list, but fully vaccinated people are exempt from the requirements to quarantine or needing tests.

Varane has entered the U.K. from Spain. A completely different scenario.

Fully Fledged

Yeah I am convinced Ole is happy to wait it out for his beloved Declan's price to come down but personally feel we should get one this summer but gut feeling is that our business is done UNLESS Camavinga indicates he wants to actually come
I Can see us not signing anybody else this season, after Verane that is. While we all feel that a quality CDM is need to move away from the double pivot and be able to play 2 of Pogba Bruno or VDB in more attacking positions, I can't see one coming in this window.

Status
Not open for further replies.