Manchester United sign Raphael Varane! (not in time for Leeds)

Status
Not open for further replies.

RonaldoVII

Chelsea site says that Lukaku's return has "come too late" for him to be involved this weekend. No mention of why.

Our site says that Varane has not completed his proposed move from Real Madrid. Which I suppose is accurate but not exactly positively couched.
Lukaku is in quarantine till Monday

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
I wonder whether Varane has tested positive and is therefore having to wait until he's clear?

It all seemed to be going smoothly until he was placed in isolation, now it's all slowed down?

Borys

Statistics Wizard
How the hell can there be doubts about how many days he has to be in quarantine?

I don't believe this is the reason, as I don't see why this would delay any procedures.

romufc

This joke of a club managed to sign Sancho and Varane in the same window. Hopefully they manage to sign Haaland next summer so that we can upgrade its status to 'Mediocre'.
Its quite funny to see fans get all giddy about 2 signings. This is Manchester United not Crystal palace.

Also, its not as if we haven't tried to sign Sancho for over 18 months now. If we want to compete, they have done the minimum as a club.

Manchester United is a big club, one that aspires to win trophies, which means signing players. Fans getting happy for us signing 1. a RW which we should have signed a while back and 2. A CB which Ole wanted last season.

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
Its quite funny to see fans get all giddy about 2 signings. This is Manchester United not Crystal palace.

Also, its not as if we haven't tried to sign Sancho for over 18 months now. If we want to compete, they have done the minimum as a club.

Manchester United is a big club, one that aspires to win trophies, which means signing players. Fans getting happy for us signing 1. a RW which we should have signed a while back and 2. A CB which Ole wanted last season.
So if Ole has asked for someone this summer it will be 'watch this space next summer'?

tenpoless

No 6-pack, just 2Pac
Supports
4-4-2 classic
I wonder whether Varane has tested positive and is therefore having to wait until he's clear?

It all seemed to be going smoothly until he was placed in isolation, now it's all slowed down?
Didnt he train with RM before joining United? right after his holiday as well. The biggest risk to catch Covid would be during his holiday. If he's positive then all the RM players and staffs that were in contact with him need to be tested too. So probably not. He was feeding his daughter during the Everton game as well. And no mask!

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
It won’t fall through. Although I do think it seems a bit mad how it looked like we got our transfer business done nice and early for once yet neither of our two big summer signings have played a minute of pre-season football and Varane isn’t even eligible for the season opener.

Obviously covid makes this summer way more crazy than usual. Hence I’m interested to know if any other PL clubs “signed” players from a mainland European club around the same time as we did Varane/Sancho but managed to integrate them with their squad quicker than we did.

Does ANYONE know the answer to this question?
Ok. Answering my own question.

We announced that the clubs had agreed a fee for Varane on July 27th. Two days later, Spurs were still negotiating to sign Romero from Atalanta. He was announced as a Spurs player a week ago (August 6th) and has been training with them this week (so is presumably available for selection this weekend)

Using that one example doesn’t make us look good at all. Although maybe Varane’s agent is being difficult/slow to deal with? Feck knows but it’s not as though we haven’t had a running theme of being a bit shit at getting transfers across the line, going back several years.

Last edited:

BarstoolProphet

So you are saying we will sign Haaland next summer? :drool:

Brownie85

Mes que un muppet!
Didnt he train with RM before joining United? right after his holiday as well. The biggest risk to catch Covid would be during his holiday. If he's positive then all the RM players and staffs that were in contact with him need to be tested too. So probably not. He was feeding his daughter during the Everton game as well. And no mask!
He was in contact with a player who later tested positive though wasn't he? So that might be a problem too

James35

Yeah the isolation seems an easy excuse to use for the delay but contractual stuff like image rights etc can be done remotely and over the last two weeks.

Something is certainly up although none of us including myself have a clue. As ever though nothing smooth with the well oiled machine that is the Man Utd contract negotiation team.

Could all be coincidental of course but we do seem to take forever with everything.

As long as he actually signs that is all that matters and it can't be used as an excuse for Ole if we lose tomorrow.

mobmob

The reason we were praising the club earlier is because they got the business done early.. to have the signings ready for the start of the PL.

So you know more than Ole? who has clearly said in his press conference he hasn't trained and not signed so no chance he will be involved?

Are you implying that PSG, City and Chelsea have different contracts to United, most clubs contracts are very similar, just because they have alot of money doesn't mean they ignore contracts and elements of it, or suggest they carry out less due diligence than United.
It's got nothing to do with due diligence, it's got everything to do with Percentage cut and image rights, and someone with bottomless pockets is more likely to go closer to what the player wants than someone with a tighter budget, and let's face it the United brand is a lot more powerful marketing tool than that of city and Chelsea! Just basic facts of marketing!

As for the ole quote that I didn't see yer great argument mate! It was only just posted a few minutes before my reply so you didn't have a clue either! Yet there was a article yesterday, that said he has trained!

Im not implying anything, but pointing the fact you are a bit of a plastic fan! Not a supporter! Support your club not bash it, for a situation let's face it, non of us know about!

Jacob

Can't wait for GW2 when all these destructive discussions will be over. Sancho with a goal against Leeds and Varance with a cleansheet the following week.

HailtotheKing

I still don’t get how we haven’t been able to finalize everything when we’ve had so much time to do it due to brexit, quarantine, etc. But I feel it will be announced this evening so as to maximise media. No point doing it yesterday with Lukaku. They want maximum attention to maximise shirts.
funny of City announced Kane. And if they did, he’d probably start for them tomorrow:)

Godfather

We announced that the clubs had agreed a fee for Varane on July 27th. Two days later, Spurs were still negotiating to sign Romero from Atalanta. He was announced as a Spurs player a week ago and has been training with them this week (so is presumably available for selection this weekend)

Using that one example doesn’t make us look good at all. Although maybe Varane’s agent is being difficult/slow to deal with? Feck knows but it’s not as though we haven’t had a running theme of being a bit shit at getting transfers across the line, going back several years.
Although some in this thread go mental whenever something critical is said about the club, but this is a very fair point and doesn't make us look good. For all the excitement we had that we finally did our business early we somehow still managed to not get things done for the start of the season. We are a very strange club.

Sylar

It's so annoying that the transfer window is still deemed as open going into three game weeks

Real Name

OK sorry for being giddy. We should all be miserable instead.

PoTMS

Amateur stuff from United. Why weren't the personal/contractual terms sorted before the medical and visa issues/quarantine.

spiriticon

I think he's got covid and the club are keeping it on the low down.

What other problems could there be with isolation?

We announced that the clubs had agreed a fee for Varane on July 27th. Two days later, Spurs were still negotiating to sign Romero from Atalanta. He was announced as a Spurs player a week ago (August 6th) and has been training with them this week (so is presumably available for selection this weekend)
How did they get a work permit that quick? August 6th and training a couple of days later?

Also, do we know the double vaccine status of both players?

Or are we just guessing?

Last edited:

BarstoolProphet

Amateur stuff from United. Why weren't the personal/contractual terms sorted before the medical and visa issues/quarantine.
I don't know but hopefully you will be involved in the process of signing new players in the future.

Borys

Statistics Wizard
I think he's got covid and the club are keeping it on the low down.

What other problems could there be with isolation?
Why would they keep it quiet though? We look like amateurs at this point. Wouldn't it be better to say the truth in that case? Everyone who does any business knows isolation isn't really an issue to complete procedures.

Biggest problem I see is he hasn't been training since Euro. Which means he's not starting anytime soon.

Banana Republic

Even if he’d come out of isolation earlier this week, completed and signed the contract, been registered and had a chance to train with the team for 4 or 5 days; he still was never going to be starting for us tomorrow.

No matter how good a CB he is, putting a completely new stranger into the back line, with little time to get to know his team mates, or form any sort of working partnership with the goalie and fellow defender’s, would have been a recipe for total calamity.
Even if he signs later today and trains with the squad from Monday morning, it’s still a risk putting him in the squad for the 2nd fixture.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
If the image rights talks are true then we are most likely talking about a third party being involved which can be a lot more difficult and time consuming, so it would make sense to do all the things that you can do while also negotiating with that third party.

Status
Not open for further replies.