Manchester United sign Raphael Varane! (not in time for Leeds)

Status
Not open for further replies.

RedDevilQuebecois

I think it's pretty clear that the club are not trying to draw much attention on Jones, who's been a target for trolls for many years.
Publicly stripping him of his number will only further draw attention to him.

I suspect we're quietly working on a transfer out the club, or waiting for his contract to run out and will actively shield him from any PR or news in the mean time.
I don't know about the legal aspects of a footballer's contract in Europe, but can't his contract just get bought out by the club and thus he would get released into free agency? Contract buyouts are common enough in North America when clubs feel that a player 1) cannot be traded because of his contract and 2) is no longer producing well enough to stay with the squad. A specific percentage of the wages stipulated by the contract is paid by the club according to the collective bargaining agreement between the league (clubs) and the players' association, but that is an existing tool for clubs to get rid of players.

If it came down to me, Jones' contract would have been bought out a while ago. Just feck PR issues! I just want Varane to get that number 4 because he earned it by doing it all.

Last edited:

Offsideagain

Not registered with the PL yet! What is it with this club? Ole says ’These things take time’. Only for United it seems. Next week, week after who knows.

laughtersassassin

Let's be honest it's clearly a bit of a feck up considering a weeks ago Ole said he'd be on the bench for this game.

But ah well it is what it is. If he is training and ready for next week then it's fine

RUCK4444

Yeah I didn’t want to overreact to the negative posts about the club but they’ve made a bit of a mess of this in the end.

Still a great signing but feck me this should be over the line and far away done by now.

I’ve had two holidays in the time it’s taken to get him signed since the news broke.

Infra-red

Yeah I didn’t want to overreact to the negative posts about the club but they’ve made a bit of a mess of this in the end.

Still a great signing but feck me this should be over the line and far away done by now.

I’ve had two holidays in the time it’s taken to get him signed since the news broke.
Well la di fecking dah.

mazhar13

Kermit Inc. 2022
Scout
This most definitely has to do with Varane's image rights, which are seemingly more complicated than United anticipated.

This will eventually get done, but it's clear that United wanting to own all of their players' image rights will result in these sort of delays.

babablue

I know we pay more attention to the club than others, but there seem to be too many instances like this where you can't see the same thing happening at a peer club. Rashford's injury management, Sancho's vacation, return dates of players (is Cavani even back yet?), Caicedo (not saying we missed out) in January where we apparently pulled out because we couldn't figure out his situation, yet Brighton were able to, and now this.

Individually, there is probably a reason for the way things were handled, but taken together, it doesn't paint a very inspiring picture. All said, it's not the end of the world for him to miss a few matches, but it's still disappointing given the club themselves tweeted he was signed a couple of weeks ago.

It's also fair to ask if this happens at other clubs, especially City, Chelsea, etc as at the end of the day, they are who the club competes against and it's fair to measure against them.

RUCK4444

Well la di fecking dah.
Yeah whatevs luv. We’re still missing him first game of the season against a tricky Leeds.

Like I said, clubs done great to get him but silly we’ve let it drag passed the start of the season, not sure what you can’t understand about that tbh. It’s a fair criticism considering this was wrapped up weeks ago.

Infra-red

Yeah whatevs luv. We’re still missing him first game of the season against a tricky Leeds.

Like I said, clubs done great to get him but silly we’ve let it drag passed the start of the season, not sure what you can’t understand about that tbh. It’s a fair criticism considering this was wrapped up weeks ago.
We don't know what has caused the delay or who is to blame for it, do we? Not really sure who we should be criticising exactly - perhaps you can enlighten us?

RUCK4444

We don't know what has caused the delay or who is to blame for it, do we? Not really sure who we should be criticising exactly - perhaps you can enlighten us?
Seems like we’re dragging arse getting the contract drafted, I mean surely the player and agents requirements along with Madrid’s were confirmed before he left feckin Spain…

croadyman

Looks like he will be watching the game on that big TV again tomorrow, should just turn up and sit in the directors box

Paxi

Dagestani MMA Boiled Egg Expert
Didn’t Dybala to Spurs fall through due to image rights.

Red flag if you ask me.

croadyman

Didn’t Dybala to Spurs fall through due to image rights.

Red flag if you ask me.
Definitely not hitting any panic buttons about image rights delaying things until I hear it from decent sources

A-man

Maybe it will be ok for Varane to play matches for United when there is no tv coverage nor photographing.

Halftrack

I think it's pretty clear that the club are not trying to draw much attention on Jones, who's been a target for trolls for many years.
Publicly stripping him of his number will only further draw attention to him.

I suspect we're quietly working on a transfer out the club, or waiting for his contract to run out and will actively shield him from any PR or news in the mean time.
I just had a gander at his social media accounts, and unsurprisingly he hasn't been posting anything on them for years. I made the mistake of looking through the comments on Facebook, and there's just so much vile abuse. I started reporting some of them, but there's just so much and it was too depressing.

Poor guy, I really feel for him.

VidaRed

Unimaginative FC
This most definitely has to do with Varane's image rights, which are seemingly more complicated than United anticipated.

This will eventually get done, but it's clear that United wanting to own all of their players' image rights will result in these sort of delays.
Shambles, that is what it is.

It isn't like utd don't have a team of lawyers on there payroll. There can be no excuses.

Pretzels81

Not Salty…
Another player that doesn't give a crap about Utd? Like Di Maria or Falcao? Good riddance.

JB08

Searches for nude pics of Marcos Rojo
Another player that doesn't give a crap about Utd? Like Di Maria or Falcao? Good riddance.
Please explain, Mr. Pretzel, what suggests that Varane (or indeed Falcao) does not care about the club?

Adcuth

Lukaku deal only started last week mate not a month ago.

Lukaku is actually announced as a Chelsea player. I guess Lukaku coming from another country didn't need visas either.
Does it matter. Theyll both be starting the same weekend

Champ

Refuses to acknowledge existence of Ukraine
It's amazing how everyone on here becomes contract experts all of a sudden!!

This doesn't seem like a fault with United also, they are involved in negotiations involving some fairly lengthy paperwork I'd imagine.

The simple fact is United didn't have to announce that we had signed him when they did, they could have just carried on negotiating, getting the final details sorted all this time then announce him fully next week.

Really not a big deal all in all.

Barthez

Not looking good is it. Can see this dragging on or falling through

RedSinha

It's amazing how everyone on here becomes contract experts all of a sudden!!

This doesn't seem like a fault with United also, they are involved in negotiations involving some fairly lengthy paperwork I'd imagine.

The simple fact is United didn't have to announce that we had signed him when they did, they could have just carried on negotiating, getting the final details sorted all this time then announce him fully next week.

Really not a big deal all in all.
Oh, but imagine this reactionary fanbase being actually patient with all the Varane news flying around. You can't win with moaners.

Status
Not open for further replies.