Manchester United Squad 2012-13

prateik

Was listing players in our squad in the Gill thread and realized we are likely to have some big changes this summer again.

Code:
Gk: [B]De Gea[/B], [B]Lindegaard[/B], Johnstone*

Defenders: [B]Rafael[/B], [B]Rio[/B], [B]Vidic[/B], [B]Evans[/B], [B]Smalling[/B], [B]Evra[/B], Jones*

Midfielders: [B]Valencia[/B], [B]Nani[/B], [B]Young[/B], [B]Scholes[/B], [B]Giggs[/B], [B]Carrick[/B], [B]Cleverley[/B], [B]Anderson[/B], [B]Kagawa[/B], [B]Bebe[/B], Powell*

Strikers: [B]Rooney[/B], [B]Hernandez[/B], [B]Welbeck[/B], [B]Berbatov[/B], [B]van Persie[/B], Macheda*
* Dont have to be registered
That is 27 players in total and just 23 over 21 who will need to be registered.

*Amos out on loan
*Fabio out on loan
*Owen, Kuszczak have left
*Berba included.. likely to leave
*Fletcher might return.. He would be a welcome addition

That isnt the biggest squad in the world..

And from that, Giggs and Scholes will retire at the end of the season (or not)..

There will be a few players promoted from the reserves.. but there is plenty of room for new recruits.
It'll be interesting to see how the summer window goes.

prateik

Macheda turns 21 in August. When's the cut-off date?
I think its the Jan of the year the season starts.

And about Park, I dont know where it has come from.. but I think I've read that he might be leaving..

But then, there is a place for him in the 25 man squad should we decide to keep him/he wants to stay.

mariachi-19

I may be the devil, but i'm not a monster
I agree.

He's still young(ish) and was great in 2010/11. I remember SAF saying what a blow it was to lose him to the Asia Cup. History has shown that Fergie's not the kind of manager to write off a 31 year old after one bad season.
Maybe so, but he's not ignorant to clear signs of a player being quite clearly over the hill and having very little to offer the team going forward. Park isn't suddenly going to find his stamina, pace and balance again. Even Torres who has been in horrific form, has shown that he still had all the tools that made him the player he was bar confidence. Park has shown all the signs of a player in decline. Much like Shevchenko at Chelsea.

GCHQ

Glazer Crevice Headquarters
Sir Alex Ferguson, Ben Foster, Hayley McQueen.....
We definitely need to add a full back. Someone versatile and experienced enough to play both full back positions would be very handy. Oh hang on, we had one of those and inexplicably offloaded him without signing a replacement which meant that a) we had no consistent right back all season and b) had nobody to come in and give Evra a break.

And before anyone mentions Glazernomics as a reason for selling O'Shea I'll remind them that we started the season with seven, yes that's SEVEN, strikers in the first team squad.

prateik

He has had a series of knee injuries too, hasnt he. Might affect his physical fitness.

The Park leaving idea in my head wasnt because of poor form though. He just didnt play enough and I thought he might want to leave or might not be in the future plans.

Interval

Level
I bet Park stays and will be one of the 4 wingers. If Kagawa comes in, we won't need him to play centrally in an attacking sense.

mariachi-19

I may be the devil, but i'm not a monster
You're saying he's suddenly lost his stamina and balance at 31 years of age? Has he got some sort of neurological illness?
So where exactly has it been this year at all? It's not as if he has the excuse that he had football last off season or had significant injury issues. He's hardly made any positive impact in most game he's played this year. He was comprehensively outrun by Toure which is something that even last year wouldn't have happened. His balance has turned to shit and his composure is diminishing. Thats not to say he's lost it completely as a player, but he's showing the signs of a player that cannot deal with all the requirements at the United level. He's also never had the superior skills that Scholes, Giggs and Rio have to supersede his other diminished attributes.

He could easily go to the MLS or K, J and A League's and be a handy player for any team.

gooDevil

Worst scout ever
Under 21 players are eligible over and above the limit of 25 players/squad. For the 2012-13 campaign Under-21 players will have been born on or after January 1 1991.
Last year of eligibility:
Oliver Norwood, 12 April 1991 (age 20)
Federico Macheda, 22 August 1991 (age 20)
Davide Petrucci, 5 October 1991 (age 20)
Reece Brown, 01 November 1991 (age 20)
Scott Wootton, 12 September 1991 (age 20)

Two years left:
Marnick Vermijl, 13 January 1992 (age 20)
Robbie Brady, 14 January 1992 (age 20)
Joshua King, 15 January 1992 (age 20)
Phil Jones, 21 February 1992 (age 20)
Zeki Fryers, 9 September 1992 (age 19)
Jesse Lingard, 15 December 1992 (age 19)
Ryan Tunnicliffe, 30 December 1992 (age 19)

Three:
Will Keane, 11 January 1993 (age 19)
Michael Keane, 11 January 1993 (age 19)
Tom Thorpe, 13 January 1993 (age 19)
John Cofie, 21 January 1993 (age 19)
Larnell Cole, 9 March 1993 (age 19)
Paul Pogba, 15 March 1993 (age 19)
Sam Johnstone, 25 March 1993 (age 19)
Sean McGinty, 11 August 1993 (age 18)

This was the last year of under 21 status for:
Danny Welbeck, 26 November 1990 (age 21)
David De Gea, 7 November 1990 (age 21)
Rafael da Silva, 9 July 1990 (age 21)
Fabio da Silva, 9 July 1990 (age 21)
Ben Amos, 10 April 1990 (age 22)

Pogue Mahone

Swiftie Fan Club President
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
We definitely need to add a full back. Someone versatile and experienced enough to play both full back positions would be very handy. Oh hang on, we had one of those and inexplicably offloaded him without signing a replacement which meant that a) we had no consistent right back all season and b) had nobody to come in and give Evra a break.

And before anyone mentions Glazernomics as a reason for selling O'Shea I'll remind them that we started the season with seven, yes that's SEVEN, strikers in the first team squad.
How many of those SEVEN strikers were earning the same salary as O'Shea?

It's fairly obvious he was released to

a) trim our wage bill
b) give more opportunities to Jones/Smalling/Fabio
c) free up a slot in the first-team squad

In that order.

GCHQ

Glazer Crevice Headquarters
Sir Alex Ferguson, Ben Foster, Hayley McQueen.....
How many of those SEVEN strikers were earning the same salary as O'Shea?

It's fairly obvious he was released to

a) trim our wage bill
b) give more opportunities to Jones
c) free up a slot in the first-team squad

In that order.
Well the combined salary of two out of Owen, Macheda and Diouf would have been earning the same as O'Shea. We had ample opportunity to offload Macheda and Diouf (on loan at the very least) and Owen could have been released. We started the season with three recognised full backs, two of which had previously proven to be incredibly unreliable due to injury. The end result was that the performance of our full backs across the season was the weakest part of our team and ultimately cost us the league on that fateful day against Everton.

ruddevil

So where exactly has it been this year at all? It's not as if he has the excuse that he had football last off season or had significant injury issues. He's hardly made any positive impact in most game he's played this year. He was comprehensively outrun by Toure which is something that even last year wouldn't have happened. His balance has turned to shit and his composure is diminishing. Thats not to say he's lost it completely as a player, but he's showing the signs of a player that cannot deal with all the requirements at the United level. He's also never had the superior skills that Scholes, Giggs and Rio have to supersede his other diminished attributes.

He could easily go to the MLS or K, J and A League's and be a handy player for any team.
If there's any player who should worry, it would be Carrick.

Based on another thread which record the 2011/12 statistics of the players, Park is much more contributing than Carrick in terms of goals and assists. To add salt to wound, Park's appearance number is only half of Carrick's.

I don't know what else can be looked into to convince that Carrick's future is with United. At least with Park, he can be a backup. Carrick as a backup? He's already shite as a first-teamer.

decorativeed

Based on another thread which record the 2011/12 statistics of the players, Park is much more contributing than Carrick in terms of goals and assists. To add salt to wound, Park's appearance number is only half of Carrick's.

I don't know what else can be looked into to convince that Carrick's future is with United. At least with Park, he can be a backup. Carrick as a backup? He's already shite as a first-teamer.
:wenger:

I suppose we should just be thankful you only post an average of 60 times a year.

2Bullish

This post either:

Defines sarcasm
Defines shite

MUFC1902

If goals and assists are all that matter in football we better feck off half the team then. :wenger:

ruddevil

If goals and assists are all that matter in football we better feck off half the team then. :wenger:
I'm just pointing out that based on the stats, Park has some contribution although he's been poor. I just felt Carrick should have done better statistics wise as he brings very little to attacking this season.

ruddevil

What made you do it today then?
I guess it's your lucky day!

Seriously I haven't really had time engaging in the past 4-5 years. I'm mostly a reader, I like to read people's opinions, and at some point I like to voice my opinion if I think a thread needs one. There hasn't been many since most of what I think are already been posted by another Caf member.

manutddjw

I don't see Park or Owen leaving this summer.

With Park, I can see Sir Alex thinking that he could still use him and might need him at some point. But I don't think we'll see him much, except for a few cup games. I don't think Sir Alex will make the mistake again of believing that he has to start Park in every big game. Pretty much, it will be the same scenario that happened with Berbatov this season.

With Owen, he's a good guy to have around. We've heard about the positive impact he's had on the younger players and it's fair to say that the few times he has played for us, he's never let us down and always delivered. I don't think he has ambitions of still proving he can get it done in the Premier League as "the guy" and is more than happy to stay here and play a bit-part role and will be content with whatever deal we offer.

ACEtheORIGINAL

I think Owen will leave. Even though he's had the injuries this year he hasn't really offered anything. I don't think he'll mind either. With the amount of strikers at the club even with Berb leaving we should have enough.

Smores

It's always those from 2005 with hardly any posts that pop up and make these crazy posts.

Crustanoid

It would be great if we could bring in a Cantona-style catalyst to give all these young talents 'wings'. There's a great deal of talent in that squad which just needs to click

68-99-08

I'm just pointing out that based on the stats, Park has some contribution although he's been poor. I just felt Carrick should have done better statistics wise as he brings very little to attacking this season.
This must be an American poster!

Havak

Pokemon master
I think Park is touch and go. We've seen that in central midfield he usually doesn't cut it any more, and if we're bringing in Kagawa (or Hazard...) I can't see him getting a game, or at least not enough games to keep him 'match fit'. I don't exactly see a reason why he should stay with us for another season, but if he gets offered one of our usual 'Over 30 one-year extensions' I think he'll take it.

Owen has gone, Berbatov will and so will Kuszczak. I can see Anderson being let go, but he'll probably get more of a chance to stay fit as well. Bébé might get another chance on loan or be sold, and the same with Macheda even though he doesn't need to be registered yet.

We might possibly bring in a new full back, but I think Fryers might be promoted. We'll bring in Kagawa (realistically Hazard will go to Man City) and a striker. I'd like to see a striker in their mid 20's like Rooney (I personally would go for Huntelaar as he's surely going to give us another 20 goals and more strength in the air). Another central midfield talent would be the obvious addition, even if they don't play massive amounts next season, they'd be more for the season after when we (probably) finally lose Scholes and Giggs for good.

Cina

Yup, even bought himself a new walking stick.

Scots Crusader

I was going to start a thread with my whole take on the Kagawa/Hazard thinga on next season, but here seems to be as good as any to post my musings.

Kagawa

Do I Want This Guy? :- Yes
Do We Need this Guy? :- Yes

We seriously need someone who can make an impact from the middle of the park, who can score goals and make goals and that is a constant PITA. Ideal in a 4-3-3 formation, with 2 other to hold thier position a bit more to allow him to go and join in the attack from deep. hard to pick up and something we need, especially for European games IMHO.

Hazard

Do I want this Guy? :- Yes
Do We Need this Guy:- Not So Much!!

Why not so much, I hear you all scream!!! He plays wide, now I know he is not a winger, that he drifts inside to the middle to influence the game.......................but......................in theory we already have Kagawa drifting in there from a central position, do we now want a 2nd player coming into the same positions? No, not really, it makes it easier to pick up in a zone with deep lying players the opposition will probably emply against us. If Hazard playe, we loose one of our main areas of attack that we know can do damage, our wings. We have Valaencia/nani and Young who can all influence and have an effect on a game from outwide, why take one away to play someone else who is going to do what we already have got(Kagawa) coming through the middle.

Central Mids

Do We need someone:- Hell Yes, like I need a little Asian lady inder my desk sucking like a Dyson.
Who:- feck knows is my honest answer.

We need cover in the middle, carrick was immense but we need others and the ones we have are either untried or seem to have injury issues. My heart says Fletch will be back, better than ever and along side Carrick will stop everything getting through, allowing Kagawa to join our front 3 in fantastic free flowing football that will take the world by storm!! My head says no.

We have Scholsey(Godlike) Giggsy(Hero) and Clev and Ando to add to the equation, but are they going to be able to do it for a whole season, not so sure. So we do need a good box to box worker, who that is, I have no idea to be honest. The wee bits I have seen of the guy Strootman, he might do a job. There is martinez of course. Class act and one that I would love to see, just do not think we will get him. Sorry.

We also need cover at fullback. We have guys who can step in and do a job at RB but who are not out and out RB's, so apart from Rafael we are light, same goes left with Evra. The guy Clyne might be the one here. Seems to cover both sides, bags of potential, typical United multitasker if you ask me.

So, nothing new, just thought I would give my thinking on the whole thing as it is quiet today in rainy Nigeria and had time to kill in the office.

prateik

Kagawa and Powell signed...
We might get someone to cover for Evra if Fabio is going out on loan.

If Fletch is back, that could be that...

prateik

Updated.
If we sign Büttner, we can add him, Fletch and another signing and not go over 25... and Berbatov is almost certainly leaving.