Manchester United Summer Transfer Window 2015: What do we still need?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Flying_Heckfish

I don't think it's too bad of a situation at the moment. This is probably our first team in 3-5-2 at the moment:

• Clearly, we need numbers in defence who can stay fit. If Smalling cannot stay fit, the a replacement for him. This player needs to be commanding AND be able to play from the back. Pace would be beneficial, but being part of a back three will mitigate is somewhat.
  • Right-back also continues to be a problem. If we stick with 3-5-2 then Valencia will be sufficient, but in a back-four (my preference) we would need another. Ditto with left-back - Young has done well in the wing-back position but I don't like him as an option in a back four. We can't count on our CBs to be fit so Rojo shouldn't be considered either.
  • Centre mid - looking pretty good here now. Depends on the futures of Fellaini, Fletcher and Carrick. If any leave (or in Carrick's case, become a CB/CDM full-time) then they will obviously need to be replaced.
  • Forward - We really lack a pacy forward when we play this formation. Someone great on the transition would be ideal. We could try Nani, Januzaj or AdM here I suppose. Chicharito could do it, but his overall play might let us down.
3-5-2 like this also leaves Mata in limbo a bit, unless we push Blind forward into a 2-man midfield and have Mata playing #10. This has left us a bit vulnerable so far when deployed like that though IMO. Rooney could also play the #10 as well, leaving us a striker short. Falcao could be that man, if he takes his chances.

I do prefer the 4-4-2 diamond overall, but we'd need yet more serious investment/churn.

• Definitely need both LB and RB backups
  • Issue with numbers in CB. An upgraded CB would be good, but we have to sell.
  • Carrick is limited to CDM appearances probably, Fellaini gets games only as CM (might be good). Probably still need a dynamic CM to replace Fletcher and provide rotation with Herrera and AdM
  • Don't need a #10 as Rooney and Mata can both play here (however Rooney might be better at #9)
  • Again a new striker is needed, but may rely less on pace (suits Falcao more)
  • We'd have to retrain or sell Young, Valencia and Nani as I don't fancy them in any of the positions listed.
  • Januzaj would probably have to play as a #10 or forward, but he can do it.

imperi

What we need is a decent backup for left back and a new good right back.
And maybe a word class DC, but that would be luxury.

For midfield a strong box to box player, like Strootman and Vidal.
I'd really like to see Klaassen here next season, but that's my inner muppet talking. I really think he will become a world beater the coming years.

With Wilson on the rise, I wouldn't buy another striker (under the assumption Falcao stays). Wilson has the pace and mobility to cover for RvP and create extra versitality. If Falcao leaves maybe someone like Depay could offer us perspective for the future and ultimately cover for RvP when he can't do it anymore.

Spielmacher

I think Rojo, Blind and Young are decent enough backups for Shaw. Right-back is more of a worry.

032Devil

I don't think it's too bad of a situation at the moment. This is probably our first team in 3-5-2 at the moment:

• Clearly, we need numbers in defence who can stay fit. If Smalling cannot stay fit, the a replacement for him. This player needs to be commanding AND be able to play from the back. Pace would be beneficial, but being part of a back three will mitigate is somewhat.
  • Right-back also continues to be a problem. If we stick with 3-5-2 then Valencia will be sufficient, but in a back-four (my preference) we would need another. Ditto with left-back - Young has done well in the wing-back position but I don't like him as an option in a back four. We can't count on our CBs to be fit so Rojo shouldn't be considered either.
  • Centre mid - looking pretty good here now. Depends on the futures of Fellaini, Fletcher and Carrick. If any leave (or in Carrick's case, become a CB/CDM full-time) then they will obviously need to be replaced.
  • Forward - We really lack a pacy forward when we play this formation. Someone great on the transition would be ideal. We could try Nani, Januzaj or AdM here I suppose. Chicharito could do it, but his overall play might let us down.
3-5-2 like this also leaves Mata in limbo a bit, unless we push Blind forward into a 2-man midfield and have Mata playing #10. This has left us a bit vulnerable so far when deployed like that though IMO. Rooney could also play the #10 as well, leaving us a striker short. Falcao could be that man, if he takes his chances.

I do prefer the 4-4-2 diamond overall, but we'd need yet more serious investment/churn.

• Definitely need both LB and RB backups
  • Issue with numbers in CB. An upgraded CB would be good, but we have to sell.
  • Carrick is limited to CDM appearances probably, Fellaini gets games only as CM (might be good). Probably still need a dynamic CM to replace Fletcher and provide rotation with Herrera and AdM
  • Don't need a #10 as Rooney and Mata can both play here (however Rooney might be better at #9)
  • Again a new striker is needed, but may rely less on pace (suits Falcao more)
  • We'd have to retrain or sell Young, Valencia and Nani as I don't fancy them in any of the positions listed.
  • Januzaj would probably have to play as a #10 or forward, but he can do it.
A lot pundits are putting United's six game winning streak down to the return of Carrick. He's more that just a CDM and a key figure in United's top 11 players.

dannyrhinos89

OMG socks and sandals lol!
If it were possible, I think these players can drive us a notch or two above.

RB - Coleman.
CM - Vidal.
CB - Garay.
AM - Reus.

I'd agree with these, it really would cost a fortune though but I think we need to bring in 2 CBs maybe Subotic or laporte from Bilbao he seems to get rave reviews.

Flying_Heckfish

A lot pundits are putting United's six game winning streak down to the return of Carrick. He's more that just a CDM and a key figure in United's top 11 players.
This season yeah, he's played a big role stabilising the side hasn't he? We'd be in trouble without him now because he can play Blind's position or as part of the back three.

We can't expect that to go on indefinitely though, especially as a midfielder in a high-energy system. I suppose I'm looking more at next season in my analysis rather than jan

caid

Another winger, maybe 2, just to have the option to spread play when needed. Who doesn't like wingers anyway, they're fun.
Defenders, lots of them.

I dont really know beyond that. Both rooney and di maria and the team in general have looked their best when both are in midfield imo.
I'd probably stick with the diamond but we dont really have the right balance or quality of midfielders for the remaining 2 positions imo.
I'd play one of the wingers as a striker probably. Falcao or Van Persie as the other

This season yeah, he's played a big role stabilising the side hasn't he? We'd be in trouble without him now because he can play Blind's position or as part of the back three.

We can't expect that to go on indefinitely though, especially as a midfielder in a high-energy system. I suppose I'm looking more at next season in my analysis rather than jan
I kind of think blind has us covered on that front for the future or as close as were likely to get at least.

hundred_trillion

+ A fullback who can compete for RB and cover for LB (Clyne)
+ An experienced, reliable CB (Garay)
+ A midfielder with high physicality, mobility and passing range (Strootman)
+ A young, pacy attacker who is comfortable on the wing and up front (Depay)
+ Valdes if Anders wants to leave

Kakeru

Here's my take:

1) a RB who will provide direct competition for the spot against Rafael (Lukasz Piszczek)

comment: Blackett should be playing as our backup LB; he's trained as such since he was young.

2) a right-footed CB who can play like a solid rock with some form of leadership (Mats Hummels, Ezequiel Garay)

comment: Having said that, I'm not shutting the door to the left-footed Aymeric Laporte if he can be an upgrading replacement over Jonny Evans. Nevertheless, a potential right-footed replacement for Smalling and/or Jones should be in the cards.

3) A winger/midfielder who could provide for the right side the equivalent of what Di Maria provides on the left (Marco Reus)

4) Backup goalkeeper... sell Anders and sign Valdes.

soap

Directionless weirdo who like booze and ganja
It's getting to the stage with Rafael where he's injured so much we've gotta think about selling him. Which sucks because I like him and think he's a good player. Coleman seems like the most obvious replacement. Piszczek is a good shout too. Valencia is fine alright as a back up right back I think.

As for a centre back I'd definitely buy one and play them with Jones if he can stay fit. Hummels would be great but you'd imagine we'd be competing with almost every other big club for him, Garay would be an improvement too from what I have seen (which admittedly probably isn't enough to asses him accurately.

Problem is we'd then have 7 centre backs if we McNair and Blackett. Evans has gone totally off the boil and Rojo hasn't been that good so far. Smalling has responded very well after the (mostly deserved) witch hunt after he was a complete tit in the derby, even that just kinda highlights question marks over his consistency for me. We'd need to sell at least one of those three at some point, probably in the summer so they have time to prove themselves. Obviously selling Rojo in January would be beyond ridiculous and I'm not suggesting that. I get the feeling Evans' days are numbered, Rojo has the advantage that he can play left back.

A winger would probably be worthwhile. It's nice to have to option of switching to a system with wingers. The thing is, I like the diamond a lot, so for me it would have to be someone who's OK with not playing all the time.

That's about it I think. If a young striker or defensive midfielder with a lot of potential becomes available we should think about given that RVP and Carrick probably won't be around for that much longer.

Last edited:

Enigma_87

You know who
We need a world class CB, world class CM and Azpilicueta type of player who can cover both wings and Reus.

Chaky_Best

Supports 'a joke of a club'.
Or who?

A RB à Coleman, Alves, De Sciglio

One or two CB à Hummels, Godin, Varane (not even in dream)

One midfielder à Strootman, Vidal

One Winger à Reus

----------------------------De Gea--------------------------

RB-------------------CB-----------CB-----------------Shaw

----------------------------Carrick---------------------------

---------------Herrera---------------CM--------------------

Winger--------------------Roo-------------------Di Maria

Januzaj--------------------RVP------------------Valencia

------------------Mata------------Fellaini------------------

----------------------------Blind------------------------------

Rojo--------------Smalling-------Evans------Jones/Rafa

-------------------------Lindegaard---------------------------

Brightonian

A box-to-box CM and a top-class CB; someone like Strootman, someone like Hummels. Everything else looks pretty good to me.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Obviously a starting center back who can stay fit, also someone like clyne who can cover for either fullback position but is good enough to compete with rafael. That's probably enough for defence.

For midfield, someone like strootman who has the physicality but also general quality on the ball as well. Fellaini is decent but he should be a squad player at most, as on the ball he isn't very good. Also ideally another very good winger, not quite sure it's reus we need though. He's much better in a counter attacking team (still class though) and he seems to have become injury prone. Basically someone like hazard would be perfect, his style of play as obviously his quality is not attainable. Pace, intelligence and a good dribbler, to have him as part of the front 3 with rooney, and either di Maria or someone else like januzaj or mata if di Maria is in midfield.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
At the moment we could just do with our current squad being healthy. Plenty of new signings in there.

GloryHunter07

In order of priority:

A fullback who can play either side. Clyne?

Quick attacker/wide player. Depay?

Box to box CM - less pressing now that we have Herrera, Fellaini, ADM. TootiStrooti?

Centre back - still not sure if we really need one, i have hope that one of our perma crocks will turn things around.

NoPace

In order of priority:

A fullback who can play either side. Clyne?

Quick attacker/wide player. Depay?

Box to box CM - less pressing now that we have Herrera, Fellaini, ADM. TootiStrooti?

Centre back - still not sure if we really need one, i have hope that one of our perma crocks will turn things around.
Not getting into order, but I think this is pretty much dead on. The first choice summer goal should be something like:

1. WF - Bale/Reus/Robben
2. CM - Strootman/Vidal
3. CB - Godin/Hummels
4. FB - Darmian/Clyne

To be better than Chelsea and able to beat Bayern, Barca or Madrid without completely bunkering, I think we need those 4 starters. RVP/Falcao, Rooney, Di Maria, Shaw, Rafael and De Gea all have the talent, if healthy, to be the best player at their position in the Prem. Then it would be about someone emerging as the 2nd CB, Blind and/or Carrick continuing to play well as the holder and 11th starter (like them both, but I still think our best case scenario here is a level below the potential of the others named), Herrera plugging every midfield gap over a long season and getting as much playing time as a starter and someone contributing offensively the bench from the Mata, (RVP/Falcao non-starter), Januzaj, Wilson, Chicharito group and the backup defenders being okay and you've got the kind of feck off side the big 3 in Europe have.

SonnyTheHaloPro

"Van Gaal is David Moyes +£150million"
LVG will definitely want another midfielder asap, He mentioned in the post match how we never end up latching on to second balls to continue pressure and this can be true of nearly all our games this season. Carrick is too slow to keep winning the ball back but is brilliant at distributing it, so once he gets a solid partner we can expect some midfield dominance for once I hope (Which is how LVG likes to play looking at his past teams)

Move Fletcher on and bring in Strootman (Who I presume Van Gaal 100% wants as he even said it in the summer) or maybe move another midfielder and bring in Schneilderlin as well. Both of these guys can jump on second balls which would no doubt give our attackers more confidence. Also physical presence is important which both players easily provide. Blind can screen the back four while midfielder x wins/latches possession further up the field.

I'm even beginning to think that our midfield is worse than our defence, how many times do the opposition get a free run at our defence with no midfield in sight offering protection? It's actually becoming a disgrace. We didn't need a dominating midfielder under Fergie because it was a counter attacking high tempo game, but under LVG's way of playing, it is extremely important.

So yeah, I'd rather prioritise a midfielder in January, at least we know our midfield is already kind of shite, but we actually have some very good defenders in Smalling and Jones, so I'd rather give them until the summer to cement their places or be moved on like the other deadwood.

LonelyFire

If we don't sign at least one centre back in January then I'd be surprised although we need two minimum.

As for the summer, add a right back, central midfielder and winger to that

Devil may care

A CB is still the January priority IMO, but I will be interested to see what LvG does with our right side come the summer with Rafael's fitness issues and the fact Valencia doesn't offer enough going forward as a wingback.

I'm still hoping for a couple of pacey, versatile attackers that will allow us to play more than one formation with the same personnel.

Strootman just feels nailed on as the CM so it seems pointless thinking about Koke/Pogba/Verratti/Gundogan etc.....

SonnyTheHaloPro

"Van Gaal is David Moyes +£150million"
A CB is still the January priority IMO, but I will be interested to see what LvG does with our right side come the summer with Rafael's fitness issues and the fact Valencia doesn't offer enough going forward as a wingback.

I'm still hoping for a couple of pacey, versatile attackers that will allow us to play more than one formation with the same personnel.

Strootman just feels nailed on as the CM so it seems pointless thinking about Koke/Pogba/Verratti/Gundogan etc.....
A centre back would not have helped us against Spurs today or against Villa, Burnley, Sunderland and Swansea. Once we stop getting bullied in the middle the defending will get much better. Any defence with a none existent midfield would struggle, take Matic and Oscar out of Chelsea and I bet they would concede loads.

LonelyFire

A centre back would not have helped us against Spurs today or against Villa, Burnley, Sunderland and Swansea. Once we stop getting bullied in the middle the defending will get much better. Any defence with a none existent midfield would struggle, take Matic and Oscar out of Chelsea and I bet they would concede loads.
I disagree. Our inability to bring the ball out from the back is a significant part of our problem. We continually hand the ball back to the opposition therefore putting ourselves under pressure. Evans is the biggest culprit. I agree we need to strengthen in midfield but nothing will change till we sort the fundamentals of passing from the back. Our current options are not good enough.

Devil may care

The midfield wasn't the issue today, if our incredibly expensive forward line had buried the half dozen chances we had we'd have won. LvG insists on building play from the back unless Fellaini is on to give us a long ball option, so having a CB who is comfortable and talented on the ball is pretty important. At the moment we really lack that in our options.

Hamadovich86

I dont think we'll be getting anyone in January tbh so thinking about the summer and assuming we're in the CL next season we need to bring in CBs and a top midfielder as well as get upgrades over the players currently performing well (Young, Valencia etc). Next season we're going for the title, no ifs or buts about it.

soap

Directionless weirdo who like booze and ganja
I dunno about that, our defence has been awful in a few games and we've been bailed out by de gea (or beaten 5-3 by Leicester). Our midfield would look good with everyone fit IMO, unfortunately we're yet to see Blind and Carrick together. Of course, another addition in that area of someone like Strootman would be welcome.

van Persie

Right-back that would do well as a wing-back, someone like Coleman and Clyne.
Experienced centre-back that can lead the defense, someone like Hummels and Godin.
Box-to-box midfielder, someone like Strootman.
Winger with pace, someone like Reus and Bale.

Obviously one of those, on en each of those positions, would be the best options imo although there's more to chose from.

legball

United fans think it's fine for us to sign Strootman, simply because it feels like it's going to happen and they want to appear as if they have always wanted it. I honestly don't want us spending huge amount of money on a player whom there's still question marks on his fitness, it's the last thing we need. If we're going for a B2B in Italy, I'll rather we go for the best one, he's somewhere in Turin.

Revan

Assumptionman
Playing a bit of football manager here:

Clyne ~ 20m
Strootman ~30m
Hummels ~35m
Depay ~20m

That would be around 100m or so. Sell a few players that aren't good enough (or aren't performing) and we would be very good next season (assuming that we sign Falcao too and he stays fit).

Revan

Assumptionman
United fans think it's fine for us to sign Strootman, simply because it feels like it's going to happen and they want to appear as if they have always wanted it. I honestly don't want us spending huge amount of money on a player whom there's still question marks on his fitness, it's the last thing we need. If we're going for a B2B in Italy, I'll rather we go for the best one, he's somewhere in Turin.
The guy who has question marks on his fitness?

Revan

Assumptionman
No, he doesn't. He's come back from his injury, won his place back and plays regularly. Don't argue blindly now.
So, has done Falcao for us. And still has questions about his fitness.

From what I have seen Vidal this season, he's neither fit nor near as good as he was last season (when he was arguably the best midfilder in the world). It would be as a big risk as signing Strootman (in fact bigger considering that he's 3 years older).

legball

So, has done Falcao for us. And still has questions about his fitness.

From what I have seen Vidal this season, he's neither fit nor near as good as he was last season (when he was arguably the best midfilder in the world). It would be as a big risk as signing Strootman (in fact bigger considering that he's 3 years older).
20 games, 5 games and he's unfit, but Strootman has played only one game, let's spend big money on him. Logic. My point is, he's not the only B2B or CM that can improve us.

Lawman

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
A CB (Garray) still the January priority IMO, but I will be interested to see what LvG does with our right side come the summer with Rafael's fitness issues and the fact Valencia doesn't offer enough going forward as a wingback. (Coleman)

I'm still hoping for a couple of pacey, versatile attackers that will allow us to play more than one formation with the same personnel.(Bale)

Think devil has nailed it in this post, I've added the top names that have been banded about in the press. Getting these 4 would take massive investment and a few players would need sold to balance the books regardless in the summer plus some deadwood will be chopped (Anderson, Cleverley for sure) and Fletcher Unfortunately due to his illness sapping his strength. So we probably will end up with 1 or 2 max and a couple of cheaper younger players.

Lawman

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Took me 5 mins to work out box to box for feck sake :)

Danish Wizard

We need to strengthen a couple of positions during this transfer window and again in the summer. I doubt we will buy more than 1-2 in January.
We also need to clear the squad for the "dead-wood", to make room in the squad and to cut the wagebill.

I think we need;
A new back-up keeper.
A new right-back.
A new centreback.
A central midfielder.
A striker.
A winger.

kundalini

A new attack. I can't see us winning the title, or competing seriously in the CL, with the current set of forwards, due in the main to their age and the almost inevitable decline in performance. Still prepared to wait and see regarding Falcao but the signs aren't promising right now. As things stand, I'd be prepared to let go of RVP, Falcao, Mata and Rooney, dependent on getting a reasonable offer. It is just possible that Falcao can be a class player for us for say a couple of years and then Wilson takes over but that's looking extremely optimistic at the moment. Mata is too slow for my liking though I'd replace him with Januzaj or Nani rather than bringing in someone. I'd wait until the summer before deciding.

WyoManU

A new attack. I can't see us winning the title, or competing seriously in the CL, with the current set of forwards, due in the main to their age and the almost inevitable decline in performance. Still prepared to wait and see regarding Falcao but the signs aren't promising right now. As things stand, I'd be prepared to let go of RVP, Falcao, Mata and Rooney, dependent on getting a reasonable offer. It is just possible that Falcao can be a class player for us for say a couple of years and then Wilson takes over but that's looking extremely optimistic at the moment. Mata is too slow for my liking though I'd replace him with Januzaj or Nani rather than bringing in someone. I'd wait until the summer before deciding.
I do agree with your assessment of our strikers and their age. But you wanna let go all 4? Certainly as captain and in form Roo must stay?

Status
Not open for further replies.