Manchester United Summer Transfer Window 2015: What do we still need?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Butty19

We needed a CB, a RB, two midfielders and pacey/creative forward going into the summer. We've addressed all but one of these positions but selling Van Persie, Di Maria and possibly De Gea means we are way behind where we need to be right now.

For me we desperately need an experienced CB and a top class striker if we are to challenge this season. Romero and Valdes can do a decent job covering if we lose De Gea and I'm confident the emergence of Pereira together with the wide players we have already can cover what we've lost in Di Maria. Although I'd take Pedro in a heartbeat if he's actually available.

itso 7

If we get Pedro then a top class CB will have us ready to challenge. Who that top class CB is though is the tricky part.

SalfordRed1960

Have to say from the high of getting the CMs, RB and Depay, the DDG, ADM and Ramos sagas have soured the window a bit. We fix some areas and another set of areas get weakened. For me CB is the most crucial area to fix. Also I do not see where the goals are coming from.

Red Stone

If there's any truth to the Müller rumours a couple of weeks back, we should still have massive amounts of money to burn, especially with Di Maria leaving. If we don't sign a centre forward and a centre back I'll actually be disappointed. Going into the season with Rooney as our only reliable front man and perma-crocks Jones, Rojo and Evans behind Smalling could break our season, especially with the added strain of the CL. Bringing in two quality additions to strengthen those areas is a necessity if we want to challenge on all fronts.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
Have to say from the high of getting the CMs, RB and Depay, the DDG, ADM and Ramos sagas have soured the window a bit. We fix some areas and another set of areas get weakened. For me CB is the most crucial area to fix. Also I do not see where the goals are coming from.
It's really not for me.

The majority of our issues last season came when Rooney, Blind or Herrera were shielding the back four.

We now have Schneiderlin, Schweinsteiger and Carrick. In terms of goals conceded we weren't actually that bad last year once you get past the freak of Leicester. With Darmian I expect that to improve further.

I can only see Smalling and Jones improving while I think Rojo, at CB, is better than people give him credit for.

Striker10

"Ronaldo and trophies > Manchester United football
With Schweinsteiger and Schneiderlin we wouldn't rely or really need smalling bombing forward and those two can pick a pass out. Other then the Ramos talk which maybe just that - it seems like LVG is after more creativity/goals. Pedro and Ibrahimovic (as unlikely as it is) - would win us something. We'd have some great options

Riz

It's really not for me.

The majority of our issues last season came when Rooney, Blind or Herrera were shielding the back four.

We now have Schneiderlin, Schweinsteiger and Carrick. In terms of goals conceded we weren't actually that bad last year once you get past the freak of Leicester. With Darmian I expect that to improve further.

I can only see Smalling and Jones improving while I think Rojo, at CB, is better than people give him credit for.
This. A large part of our defensive issues were the lack of protection from our midfield as opposed to the actual defenders, hence why Carrick coincided with our best football because of the defensive job he does. Having said that I still think a vocal experienced leader would do wonders for our organisation.

newgiz

Our problem last season was chance creation and goal scoring. If I remember correctly, we scored the least number of goals last season than any of the previous seasons in the PL era.

With the sale of Di Maria we are now in need of a player who can create chances for us. I know people will try and bring up Depay, but he's young and new to the league,so expecting him to produce much is asking for trouble. Pedro looks to be coming in, but he's more of a finisher than a creator.

This means we still need a player like Reus for creating chances. Mata too has to step up and ideally Van Gaal should deploy him centrally.

yamo123x

What is needed is basically a replacement for ADM and someone to come In and score goals lost by sales of RVP and Falcao.

Pedro would be a good start but who is going to get us the 20+ goals we need- there are only a handful of players capable of this and none of them are attainable.

jem

Yeah I think it's been said, I would definitely be okay with it. Scored 18 league goals for a crap QPR side.
Cos surely Jones is worth more than Evans?
Therefore if Stones = £35m + Evans, or £18m + Jones....
I really think you'll have a hard time finding any team willing to play 17 million for Jones. If he's worth more than Evans, it'll be a nominal difference.

Attila

Supports
Trad Bricks
We've already signed 5 new players. If we really upgrade all the needed positions that would be another GK, CB, winger and ST coming in. That's 9 new signings and too much imo. I hope we compromise on at least one position to have a bit of continuety so we won't be bedding in just about a new XI.

My guess is that we'll see 1 or 2 but tops 3 more signings. Reckon a winger is guaranteed and the others may happen.
Ok it's well known we will need a new striker and winger considering how Falcao + RVP and Di Maria are most likely leaving? That would bring the number to 7 right? If De Gea leaves we will need a new first choice keeper so thats 8. We are looking for a new CB (Ramos or Otamendi etc) so thats 9.

I really don't understand this...how is this too much? So we should stick with the current centrebacks because we need continuity due to to the other changes?

C'est Moi Cantona

Schneiderlin £24 m
Schweinsteiger £14 m
Darmian £13 m
Depay £25 m
Romero free

£76 m
approx £30 m per year wages

Out

RVP £4 m
Nani £4 m
Falcao free
ADM £45 m
Rafael £3 m ?
Amos free

£56 m

approx £50 m per year in wages (inc Fletcher, and Anderson)

So in theory we have £100 m + left in the kitty and £400 k in wages to spend (to be as we were.)

Enigma_87

You know who
Depending on our targets for next season. Assuming AdM and probably DDG is on the way out:

Pedro, quality GK(Leno), quality CB(Ottamendi, Marquinhos, Varane should be enough to push for the title/domestic cups.

Muller/Griezmann to push for CL as well.

friendlytramp

More full of crap than a curry house toilet
I think we need to sign another pacey wide forward and a backup striker. Centre half would be icing on the cake for me but I genuinely believe we need to ensure we score more goals as a priority.

If we sign say Griezmann then Mata will have pacey players to stretch defences and give him some room to operate. Something he doesn't get enough of now on the right.

Backup striker? Bear with me but Charlie Austin...I know he's not a world-beater but if he can score goals for QPR he could do so for us.
Griezmann, Austin and stones would be great. Swap Austin for Kane and it would be perfect.

Jonnymufc

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
Griezmann, Austin and stones would be great. Swap Austin for Kane and it would be perfect.
Agree but Kane may be fearful of a potential lack of game-time whereas Austin would be happy as back-up I reckon.

However, Griezmann £40m, Austin £12m and Stones £30m minus £44m for ADM would mean a net spend in the window of about £100-110m which seems doable for us.

SalfordRed1960

It's really not for me.

We had our new midfield in front of Blind and Jones in the tour and both Barca and PSG ripped us up a good one. We have have good CBs, but they need an experienced leader. As far as the goals are concerned, I am hoping for a miracle.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
We had our new midfield in front of Blind and Jones in the tour and both Barca and PSG ripped us up a good one. We have have good CBs, but they need an experienced leader. As far as the goals are concerned, I am hoping for a miracle.
Barca and PSG ripped us a new one? During preseason? Sack the lot of them.

The Purist

Supports
Arsenal
I rate Griezmann very highly. I think he could be your best player within a season in the league.. that'd be a game changer.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
Depending on our targets for next season. Assuming AdM and probably DDG is on the way out:

Pedro, quality GK(Leno), quality CB(Ottamendi, Marquinhos, Varane should be enough to push for the title/domestic cups.

Muller/Griezmann to push for CL as well.
Yep, if we got a good GK, CB and Pedro we'd really just be at the point where we're looking for a very special player to really take us to the next level. That could wait until next season.

KingMinger22

City >>> United. Moaning twat
We need a lot.

We got rid of 3 of the 4 biggest earners so have plenty of space on the wage bill.

With Di Maria being sold, out net spend is low.

We need a superstar attacker, no question. Arguably two. Barca, Bayern and Real have several each. We don't even have one!

Jacob

We need a lot.

We got rid of 3 of the 4 biggest earners so have plenty of space on the wage bill.

With Di Maria being sold, out net spend is low.

We need a superstar attacker, no question. Arguably two. Barca, Bayern and Real have several each. We don't even have one!
Name one that is attainable?

SalfordRed1960

Barca and PSG ripped us a new one? During preseason? Sack the lot of them.
Not my point really. I was expecting with a more solid midfield (defensively) the defense would not be under so much pressure. We had a lot of self inflicted pressure created by our defenders. Always expect good teams to create chances against all teams, but I did not expect our defenders to concede like they did against PSG.

Red Hand Devil

Plan M ish
"I said a hip hop, hippie to the hippie..."
Agree but Kane may be fearful of a potential lack of game-time whereas Austin would be happy as back-up I reckon.

However, Griezmann £40m, Austin £12m and Stones £30m minus £44m for ADM would mean a net spend in the window of about £100-110m which seems doable for us.
Why are you so bothered about what we spend Jonny?

Who gives a monkey's man - aslong as we get the best possible players in, this window, is all we should be concerned about.

United can spend £300m on top-class players & i'd be delighted - aint my money & we've just started our new record Addida kit deal, so i want us to be spending a shitload on the best players & not hearing fans commenting in being proud of a very reasonable net spend, when the team is still lacking in major areas that are key to our goal of being the best in England & in Europe..

No offence intended btw :angel:

Heine

He's not superstar attacker.
Not seen him alot, but from what I understand he is a potentially superstar attacker. The real superstar attackers seldom change team, so could be beneficial for us to pick him up before one of the other top teams do. There is some players I would prefer over him though (Bale, Griezeman etc). However, from what I've read about him he would be a good consolidation price

Drifter

American
Le 10 sport as the club interested in Lucas Moura.Sounds like lazy journalism but he'd be worth a punt.

IwatUwat

Was having an argument in a group of mates at the weekend about who has the better team / defence / more likely to finish higher. Us or Arsenal.

I argued Utd but potentially biased he argued Arsenal. He had more agreeing with him than I did. Whats the thoughts on here? Am I just being biased?

We focused on defence for a bit him claiming Arsenal's were better than our I completely disagreed, whats thoughts on here?

Shaw, Blind, Rojo, Jones, Evans, Smalling, Valencia, Darmian, (Rafael being sold), Blackett and McNair
vs
Gibbs, Monreal, Paulista, Mertesacker, Koscielny, Chambers, Debuchey, Bellerin

Seriously still think ours is better.

We ended with agreeing that both clubs have more activity to do in the window so argument is currently slightly floored with the outgoings for utd and who will be the incomings, and if Arsene actually pulls his finger out and gives Arsenal the chance to properly challenge as they are fairly close.

I thought most would agree with me though that they expect Utd to beat Arsenal this yr, but that was not the case remotely.

CassiusClaymore

Is it Gaizka Mendieta?
Scout
Supports
The greatest team in history
Hmmm, I'd give the edge to Arsenal in defence. They have the major advantage of it being much more settled including a quality keeper who doesn't have his head somewhere else.

Koscielny is clearly better than any of our current CB's.

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
Was having an argument in a group of mates at the weekend about who has the better team / defence / more likely to finish higher. Us or Arsenal.

I argued Utd but potentially biased he argued Arsenal. He had more agreeing with him than I did. Whats the thoughts on here? Am I just being biased?

We focused on defence for a bit him claiming Arsenal's were better than our I completely disagreed, whats thoughts on here?

Shaw, Blind, Rojo, Jones, Evans, Smalling, Valencia, Darmian, (Rafael being sold), Blackett and McNair
vs
Gibbs, Monreal, Paulista, Mertesacker, Koscielny, Chambers, Debuchey, Bellerin

Seriously still think ours is better.

We ended with agreeing that both clubs have more activity to do in the window so argument is currently slightly floored with the outgoings for utd and who will be the incomings, and if Arsene actually pulls his finger out and gives Arsenal the chance to properly challenge as they are fairly close.

I thought most would agree with me though that they expect Utd to beat Arsenal this yr, but that was not the case remotely.
We have a better defence maybe, its not THAT much better IMO. They like us need another CB, I'd take Kosch over our CBs if I'm honest.

Central midfield is pretty similar, we probably edge that.

However in attack, they are ahead of us, they have plenty of attacking options, and bags of pace (which is what we're currently lacking)

I think Arsenal just about edge it, but its close, and tbh I don't believe our spending is complete and by the close of the window I expect us to be ahead.

IwatUwat

We have a better defence maybe, its not THAT much better IMO. They like us need another CB, I'd take Kosch over our CBs if I'm honest.

Central midfield is pretty similar, we probably edge that.

However in attack, they are ahead of us, they have plenty of attacking options, and bags of pace (which is what we're currently lacking)

I think Arsenal just about edge it, but its close, and tbh I don't believe our spending is complete and by the close of the window I expect us to be ahead.

Yeah I said my back line would:

Keeper (TBC)

Our RBs, Kosch and Smalling, our LBs

Midfield close (squad wise)

Attacking players theirs

Rooney

But think in depth of squad and experience we edge it. My view.

Status
Not open for further replies.