Manchester United vs AS Roma (Pre-season Friendly)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Niall

All Powerful Super Being
Staff
VS

Form Guide*

- - - - -
vs - - - - -

Last 5 Head To Head Meetings

Man Utd 7:1 AS Roma (10.04.2007)
Man Utd 1:0 AS Roma (02.10.2007)
AS Roma 1:1 Man Utd (12.12.2007)
AS Roma 0:2 Man Utd (01.04.2008)
Man Utd 1:0 AS Roma (09.04.2008)

Ones to watch

Ander Herrera:
Had a very impressive debut for United, playing the full 90 minutes against LA Galaxy, providing two assists and scooped up the coveted RedCafe MOTM award. Is he one of the answers to our midfield woes? Whether he'll start this match after playing 90 minutes is doubtful, but if he does, he'll certainly be one we'll have our eye on.

Juan Iturbe: The "new Lionel Messi" and had been linked with a move to Juventus all summer before Roma grabbed him from under their rival's nose. He's had a mixed career so far, spending three years at Porto where he didn't get much game time before being loaned out to River Plate, then going to Hellas Verona where he helped the club to a top ten finish in their first season back in Serie A. Despite his turbulent career so far, he just turned 21 in June, and will be looking to impress against Manchester United, a club he had been linked to a few years ago.
-
Key Moments**

21:07 KICK-OFF
21:34 ROMA YELLOW CARD (Calabresi)
21:42 MANCHESTER UNITED GOAL (Man Utd 1:0 Roma, Rooney)
21:45 MANCHESTER UNITED GOAL (Man Utd 2:0 Roma, Mata)
21:54 MANCHESTER UNITED GOAL (Man Utd 3:0 Roma, Rooney PK)
22:13 SECOND HALF
22:22 MANCHESTER UNITED YELLOW CARD (Young)
22:40 ROMA YELLOW CARD (Castan)
22:42 ROMA GOAL (Man Utd 3:1 Roma, Pjanic)
22:55 ROMA GOAL (Man Utd 3:2 Roma, Totti PK)
23:00 FULL TIME

GFYs/GIFs***

21:08 DESTRO NEARLY SCORES EARLY ON
21:42 ROONEY'S GOAL (Man Utd 1:0 Roma)
21:45 MATA'S GOAL (Man Utd 2:0 Roma)
21:54 WELBECK BEING TAKEN DOWN FOR PENALTY
21:54 ROONEY'S PENALTY (Man Utd 3:0 Roma)

Extra

Live on Sat link (view what channel it is on where you live)
United Live (watch pre-season matches here, costs money but official)

Post Match Reports

Coming Soon

*all results in the form guide are taken from the respective team's performances in friendlies only.
**key moments are either bookings/red cards, goals, substitutions or when each half starts and ends. All times are BST.
*thanks to GifLord for posting these.

Last edited by a moderator:

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Going to be 3-5-2 again according to van Gaal's comments, guessing this lineup:

De Gea
Smalling Jones Evans
Rafael Cleverley Herrera Shaw
Mata
Rooney Hernandez​

Not exactly the same, but something like this. Fletcher played the full 90 today so can't see him starting. Hernandez will probably get a start so Van Gaal sees how he does, maybe Kagawa in for Mata. Herrera played the full game but we have nobody else so he'll probably start again :)

HarrowRed1988

I predict:

Shaw twats Cole :D

Also I doubt he'll you use the exact same line up.

He'll want to freshen things up, It is a tour after all and its not like a title run in where momentum is key

The 4th Official

I predict a tough game. As smooth as everything went versus LA Galaxy, United won't get that luxery versus Roma. It'll be interesting to see how they perform against a solid and better team.

khoazany

Johnstone
M.Keane Smalling Evans
Rafael Fletcher Herrera James
Lingard
W.Keane Rooney​

Last edited:

Truedevil

Good thing we are playing against better teams like Roma and Real on this tour, at least LvG can test how this new formation works against tougher opponents. I can't wait!

steeeb

Good thing we are playing against better teams like Roma and Real on this tour, at least LvG can test how this new formation works against tougher opponents. I can't wait!
Me too.

Although he wants to train with the team so he can work everything out he also needs to get off to a good start. He is historically a bit slow off the mark whilst he tweaks everything.

Surely a pre-season tour against good opponents lets him go his tweaking now along side looking at his players in an actual competitive manner. I think the tour isn't all bad as van Gaal thinks and could actually work in our favour.

paulscholes18

Won't like us to play 352 vs Real Madrid that would leave Rafa and shaw 1:2 with Ronaldo and Marcelo on one side and Bale and Arbeloa down the other

Truedevil

Won't like us to play 352 vs Real Madrid that would leave Rafa and shaw 1:2 with Ronaldo and Marcelo on one side and Bale and Arbeloa down the other
I don't think Ronaldo and Marcelo, neither James Rodríguez will play against us and even if they did we have to be adventurous and test and see if this 3-5-2 any good. It's basically a meaningless friendly but it will show our weaknesses.

Brightonian

I think LVG will take a similar approach in terms of playing the first half with something like a 'strongest XI', and then bring on lots of fringe players and youngsters in the second half. That way he can carry on building familiarity and momentum in his first XI, but also get a good look at all the players.

FromTheBench

This will be a tougher test than the first game. Will be interesting if he goes with the same team basically or throws few changes in.

2 man midfield

Last Man Standing finalist 2021/22
Wanna do them over for De Rossi's comments last season. Can also be a good chance to have a word in Strootman's ear.

AS18_

Due to their managerial stability and our manager is still assessing his new squad, i think we will lose by a one goal margin.

Manutd89

This game will be much harder. Hard to predict what will happen. I hope Van Gaal goes with a full strength team.

Boycott

Imagine after the game LVG picks Strootman up and smuggles him in the van :drool:

caid

Anyone know offhand what kind of team / formation roma are likely to use?

YouOnlyLiveTwice

Going to be a tough match, Roma have a really good team and everybody knows what to do in the 4-3-3 system under Garcia.
Could well be a draw this match.

Asger

Does anyone know if Wilson will go on the tour later?

2 man midfield

Last Man Standing finalist 2021/22
9pm? Awesome i'll be able to see this, i'll be just out of work.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Think Roma will have Pjanic ready for this so it'll be a tight game. Hopefully we put in another good performance but it'll be interesting to see how the tactic does against other top clubs like Roma, Inter and Madrid, all who play completely differently. Roma normally keep possession extremely well under Garcia so I think we'll be more counter attacking for this.

thelemon

Tricky game.
Lindegaard
Smalling - Evans - Blackett
Rafael ----- Fletcher ----- James
Herrera --- Cleverley
Rooney
Hernandez
Is what I would do :)

Ukrainian Devil

So and I, Zaha, Johnstone, Lingard, Amos, Lingard, W. Keane & Hernandez. Well, those guys, who wasn't against LA. Let's remind them about 7:1 :)

Status
Not open for further replies.