Manchester United vs AS Roma (Pre-season Friendly)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Amadaeus

Pochémon Fan Club Chairman
Is this part of the cup series? If so, Van Gaal might want to win this and put out the same squad. Nevertheless, it is still pre-season and assessing the squad for the upcoming season is more beneficial than winning a friendly cup. So I would like to see:

Lindergaard
Smailling - Jones - Evans
Rafael - Cleverley - Powell - Shaw
Kagawa
Lingard/Zaha - Hernandez

The team should be good enough to challenge this Roma team.

Sir Matt

Blue Devil
The score prediction doesn't go high enough. Only 5? LVG will have us averaging 6 goals a game.

sglowrider

Thinks the caf is 'wokeish'.
2-1.

If like Holland, we start off strong but then levelled out and play more conservatively as the WC progressed.

green_smiley

:lol:
Supports
#Justice4Wang!
I guess the starting line-up will be similar than before. GK and defense should be the same as they need to get more familiarized with the new 3-4-3 system. Herrera, Mata and Rooney should start as well, playing in their best position. Fletcher may keep his place, seeing he is the only candidate to play a more defensive role in midfield

I suspect LvG has already identified Mata or Januzaj (yet to join the tour) to play behind strikers. Both players are better than Kagawa IMO, hence Kagawa may never get the chance to play the no. 10 role under LvG. Four strikers also seem excessive. With Rooney and RVP almost guaranteed to start, LvG would have to choose his 3rd choice striker between Welbeck and Chicarito. Welbeck has a slight advantage at the moment, and I guess LvG will start Chicarito with a strong line-up to access his ability fairly

Herrera and Fletcher may be substituted after the break, seeing that they played full 90 min against LA Galaxy. Either Amos or Johnstone should be the backup keeper, and the likes of Lingard, Zaha and W. Keane should get some minutes

De Gea
Smalling Jones Evans
Valencia Herrera Fletcher James
Mata
Rooney Chicarito​

FromTheBench

Hopefully we are able to reach the finals of this International champions cup.

5 game pre season looks pretty short.

surf

Unchanged starting 11. They need to get used to playing together in the new system. Perhaps James, Keane, Cleverley, Young, Chicharito etc after an hour.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Roma are quality, will expect a tough game. Wouldn't be surprised to see us lose. Any Roma watchers here?

I'm the 1% who said 2-1 Roma.
Yeah they're quite good but I still think we'll win. Serie A is still quite a bit away from the premier league overall wise, though it'll be a tight game. Interested to see how much Pjanic will play, didn't play vs Liverpool the other day but he should start against us. Definitely a good test for us though playing against a player of his quality.

Red Comet

Probably my favorite United game ever.
The Man Utd 7 years ago were direct, incisive, and devastating on the counter-attack. Last season was an indication of how much we have fallen, but LvG has given me some new hope that we will see the attacking football of old again.

Red Comet

That cant be Carras.
Carrick is a different player when surrounded by quality. With Moyes the entire MF was clueless and he had to drag and marshal them through games.

I'm hoping that next season we will see Carrick at his best again.

ricky-romeo

i hope to see

-------------------de gea-------------------
--------smalling----jones----evans----------
rafael-----cleverley-----herrera--------shaw
-------------------mata------------------
-------------rooney-----hernandez---------

Sixpence

Erroneously Promoted
So looking forward to this as I can actually watch it live. Is it really a 9:06pm KO though? And I'm sure I saw this advertised as being shown on SS1 at 11pm KO?

RedMachine03

Poster of Articles
So looking forward to this as I can actually watch it live. Is it really a 9:06pm KO though? And I'm sure I saw this advertised as being shown on SS1 at 11pm KO?
Your local match timings are written on the top of this page.

Nickosaur

For those interested, the Roma team v Liverpool was:

Skorupski, Leandro Castan, A. Cole, Benatia, Somma, Florenzi, Nainggolan, Keita, Totti, Iturbe, Ljajic.

Subs were Lobont, Balasa, Romagnoli, Emanuelson, Paredes, Ucan, Pettinari, Destro, Sanabria, Borriello.

gooDevil

Worst scout ever
The Man Utd 7 years ago were direct, incisive, and devastating on the counter-attack. Last season was an indication of how much we have fallen, but LvG has given me some new hope that we will see the attacking football of old again.
We were so fluid, in many ways more enjoyable to watch than in 2007/8 when were a bit more ruthless but also at times more conservative.

MorraGambit

i hope to see

-------------------de gea-------------------
--------smalling----jones----evans----------
rafael-----cleverley-----herrera--------shaw
-------------------mata------------------
-------------rooney-----hernandez---------
Since LVG said that we have 4 no 10, I think he might want to use the other 2 in this match..

Kill 'em all

Pastor of Muppets
Why would he? The answer is no. Like Powell, he was left out because there was no room for him.
Powell will be joining the tour in a couple of days, Wilson didn't make it because he's broken a finger.

ritchieDL

amos
smalling jones evans
rafa clevz hererra shaw
------kagawa---------
rooney chich

Loublaze

ATLien
Powell will be joining the tour in a couple of days, Wilson didn't make it because he's broken a finger.
Powell is supposed to join the team in a day or two, he was injured.
Was that the case though?. From what iv'e read he's got a broken finger. There would of been plenty of room in the squad as we took Four goalkeepers.
That's fantastic news, about Powell. I read that there wasn't a place for them because LVG wanted at least two players from each position, didn't make sense considering the 4 keepers on the tour. I hope Wilson can recover in time to make it.

Kill 'em all

Pastor of Muppets
That's fantastic news, about Powell. I read that there wasn't a place for them because LVG wanted at least two players from each position, didn't make sense considering the 4 keepers on the tour. I hope Wilson can recover in time to make it.
I don't think Wilson will recover so early, not even in time for the start of the season. From recent reports he's broken it during early preseason training, before LVG decided whom to take on tour. First team football is more physical and a bad fall could lead to permanent damage.

Loublaze

ATLien
I don't think Wilson will recover so early, not even in time for the start of the season. From recent reports he's broken it during early preseason training, before LVG decided whom to take on tour. First team football is more physical and a bad fall could lead to permanent damage.

Oh well. Godspeed young Wilson

Turnip

likes to be spanked with games consoles
Ooo, 9am tomorrow, i can actually watch this one. If only it was on in the afternoon, then i could watch it while at my gf's cousin's wedding :rolleyes:

With this being one of the tougher matches (apart from Madrid obviously) i think he'll field a reasonably strong team with some experiments in there, probably with the same formation as last time. And of course we're gonna win.

paulscholes18

Rafa for Valencia was the only change I made to the team that beat L.A. Just hope that laughing at Liverpool losing 1-0 don't come back to haunt us. Like the saying goes whoever laugh last laugh the longest.

Status
Not open for further replies.