Kick-off
Wed, 10 April 2019 @ 8:00pm BST
Status

Closed

Discussion Live Updates 2 Your Lineup Prediction

• Status
    Not open for further replies.

Schmeichel=God

If it was in my hand to hurt Barcelona, I'd play Lukaku 101%, and make him play in the spot between Alba and Lenglet, with Rashford or even Lingaard playing central.

Lukaku will have an easier day overpowering Lenglet than Pique, he's also fast enough to make use of the highway Alba leaves at the back when he joins the attack, and you don't really want hold up play or second plays vs Barcelona, that favours the style of Pique, Busquets, Rakitic and Lenglet, great players at cutting passes and through balls, but not pacy nor world class defending 1vs1.
    Fair comment. I'm just aiming for some respite higher up the pitch than a constant and what might essentially end up as a hit and hope into space. I feel attempting second plays higher up the pitch, getting fouls off of Pogba's ability etc is a better way to achieve respite than being camped in our own half.

Also I feel we should be aiming for more possession against them at home, considering they may show us a little more respect here. At theirs I would be thinking more what you're mentioning.

Kant-ona

Any prediction about the ball possession? I go for 30%:70% in the first 20 minutes, with our lads looking like school children running after adults. However, that does not mean that we will lose.

Schmeichel=God

Biggest game of the season... randomly throw Pogba into a position he has never played before.
    Rashford's natural side... even though he prefers to play on the left.
    Jones is not a better RB than Young.
    Jones for Matic :lol:
    Further clarification incoming:

"Rashford's natural side" as in right footed and no need to cut inside to be more comfortable with the next pass. When I refer to natural side I'm talking about preferred foot.

"Jones is not a better RB than Young"....happy to call this a difference of opinion.

Jones for Matic...I'll paste what I said about this from my other comment...

But with no Matic I think I'd have to put Jones in there at DM/hybrid 3rd CB. For me he's (marginally) the most agile of Lindelof & Smalling, so is the best fit for that additional anchor man/destroyer duties. He wouldn't really be that involved in build up anyway for my liking.
    This is a game where we're going to be under severe pressure. Having Jones there, who was once touted as having potential for DM, is not the worst of the options when for the most part he's going to be defending and certainly not being asked to attempt to slow play down in the centre of the pitch.

As for Pogba. You're missing my point. He'll essentially be in the hole, AM, a very false nine. He's not being asked to be a poacher with the instinct that requires. He's being absolved of defensive duties and shape and being given prime creator duties. It's not half as bad as you're making it out to be.

haram

"Rashford's natural side" as in right footed and no need to cut inside to be more comfortable with the next pass. When I refer to natural side I'm talking about preferred foot.

"Jones is not a better RB than Young"....happy to call this a difference of opinion.

This is a game where we're going to be under severe pressure. Having Jones there, who was once touted as having potential for DM, is not the worst of the options when for the most part he's going to be defending and certainly not being asked to attempt to slow play down in the centre of the pitch.

As for Pogba. You're missing my point. He'll essentially be in the hole, AM, a very false nine. He's not being asked to be a poacher with the instinct that requires. He's being absolved of defensive duties and shape and being given prime creator duties. It's not half as bad as you're making it out to be.
    Ok I'm just gong to say this. You can have your opinions on all of these players, it is simply too many changes to make at once.

NotoriousISSY

$10mil and I fecked it up!
    An opportunity to stand up and be counted, to write yourself in history. Or the likely scenario, and get schooled by a team with a mental level so far above ours that it could be embarrassing.

If we repeat Watford or Wolves level performances, Barca score 5 away goals.

Schmeichel=God

Ok I'm just gong to say this. You can have your opinions on all of these players, it is simply too many changes to make at once.
    You don't experiment too much in these games.
    Fair enough. But we're being forced into changes as it is.

The first choice today would have been Matic/Herrera. We're coming off the back of multiple different lineups due to rotation requirements and injury.

Under previous regimes and for the differing requirements of certain fixtures...players have suddenly been tasked with a role out of their ordinary. Herrera man marking Hazard for example. Sir Alex how many times played players in different positions in order to nullify what he deemed threats to be countered.

Not saying I don't see your point, just I would be comfortable backing the switch up myself regardless of reduced familiarity across the pitch. It's not hard to defend zonally, and attack via the triumvirate of Pogba feeding Martial and Rashford moving into space.

Patrick08

haram

Fair enough. But we're being forced into changes as it is.

The first choice today would have been Matic/Herrera. We're coming off the back of multiple different lineups due to rotation requirements and injury.

Under previous regimes and for the differing requirements of certain fixtures...players have suddenly been tasked with a role out of their ordinary. Herrera man marking Hazard for example. Sir Alex how many times played players in different positions in order to nullify what he deemed threats to be countered.

Not saying I don't see your point, just I would be comfortable backing the switch up myself regardless of reduced familiarity across the pitch. It's not hard to defend zonally, and attack via the triumvirate of Pogba feeding Martial and Rashford moving into space.
    Ok and if Matic and Herrera are out you play Scott not Phil Jones in midfield. You are just over complicating things.

EverReddy

This match is perfect for Jesse, to be honest.
    Energy, work rate, good at counter attacks.
    Oh, and it's a big one, he'll score the winner.
    Respect your opinion but beg to differ. He certainly does offer lots of energy and plenty of running around but we can't afford to be giving the ball away all the time, and not getting any pressure on them coming out of defence. Not to mention wasted goal chances. I'd prefer to be without from the start.

Schmeichel=God

Ok and if Matic and Herrera are out you play Scott not Phil Jones in midfield. You are just over complicating things.
    Phil would be a deep anchor man, dropping back when they are in our final third to pick up threats alongside the two CB's. He is not there to link play further up the pitch. He is a destroyer only.

Scott is in my midfield higher up and shouldn't be tasked with that pseudo DM/CB role considering that is most definitely not what he does or ever really did. Jones though spent a decent amount of time in his formative years in that position.

Patrick08

Respect your opinion but beg to differ. He certainly does offer lots of energy and plenty of running around but we can't afford to be giving the ball away all the time, and not getting any pressure on them coming out of defence. Not to mention wasted goal chances. I'd prefer to be without from the start.
    He is the only one who will press busquests and stop him controlling things from deep, if we are to attack. As a false 9 he creates an overload in the midfield which can be beneficial for us winning the ball back and his movements in the final third can create problems for Barcelona defense. Though he has to be in top of his game that's a given.

Patrick08

Phil would be a deep anchor man, dropping back when they are in our final third to pick up threats alongside the two CB's. He is not there to link play further up the pitch. He is a destroyer only.

Scott is in my midfield higher up and shouldn't be tasked with that pseudo DM/CB role considering that is most definitely not what he does or ever really did. Jones though spent a decent amount of time in his formative years in that position.
    Jones in area where messi operates and does maximum damage? Hr is not good enough to have a single minute in this game let alone in central midfield.

RedCurry

We'll keep it compact and play it like an away game. That is sort dreadful and comforting at the same time.

At the hotel

Goalkeepers (3): De Gea, Romero, Grant
    Defenders (7): Rojo, Dalot, Jones, Smalling, Young, Shaw, Lindelof
    Midfielders (5): Pogba, Pereira, Fred, Garner, McTominay
    Forwards (5): Lukaku, Martial, Rashford, Mata, Lingard

OohAahMartial

Shame about Herrera, thought he was vital today. Not optimistic. At least Rashford made the squad. But I just hope he's fit enough to actually perform, including to press.

SportingCP96

emotional range of a teaspoon
    Supports
    Sporting Clube de Portugal
    Wont be able to watch the game as I will be at work but wishing and hoping the best for Man United. The dream scoreline would be 2-0

I have faith !

DeGea

On call for this game , argh!!! But will try and watch it on my phone when there's no emergencies.

sp_107

I am an hour away from Trafford. If I drive down there what is the possibility of getting tickets outside for a reasonable price ?

Could someone with a better idea guide me please

SharpshooterTom

Messi's the best player in the world, but the cult that surrounds him now is getting so silly that even opposition fans want him to score against them. I've even heard some United fans going to game say "I want United to win but I hope I get to see Messi score".

Players want to swap his shirt, all rush over to pick him up when he falls over. Its to the point where some of them are gazed in amazement at him that they forget he's an opposition player.

Perhaps Messi is unstoppable tonight but I hope United aren't star struck and least make life as awkward as possible for him. Look how Iceland played him at the WC.

Nickosaur

So a midfield 3 of Pogba, McTominay and Fred?

Bloody hell. Need Pogba at the top of his game, Scott pressing like mad and Fred to play like he played in Paris to stand a chance.

Grylte

"nothing wrong with some friendly incest, bro"
    So Pogba shouldn't play either then? ;)
    He lose the ball much more than Jesse, and work much less defensively.

vanderpants

i think we will get taught a harsh lesson tonight, hoping pogba and co turn up tonight to put a shift in

Jacob

The state of our squad. Looking at the hotel roster, we have one or two decent players.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
Post-match discussion

Man of the Match

Scott McTominay image Scott McTominay 66% of 620 votes

Runners-up

Player Ratings

5.4 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 469 ratings.

Score Predictions