Kick-off
Tue, 10 January 2023 @ 8:00pm GMT
Status

Closed

Discussion Your Lineup Prediction

• Status
    Not open for further replies.

Alemar

Mainoo is seriously out of his depth, sadly. McTominay is also playing poorly, as is Malacia. Elanga totally non-existent

always_hoping

Good to be in front fine strike by Antony. Fred unlucky on his free. Dalot injury the black spot in that half and with the amount of fixtures coming i fear more injuries like that will happen.

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
    We have some serious shit to do next summer. Elanga, McT, AWB and Maguire must be sold.
    Awb did nothing wrong lately but his attacking game is awful

MrBest

Mainoo looks nervous, too often shys away from the ball but given he is 17 and only has 45 mins of experience to his name, its just nice to see a youngster get a chance. Saying that Mctominay has been awful, 200 games in and just looks so basic, I guess I'm used to Casemiro in that position.

Garnacho has been fantastic, Martinez strong, Maguire been doing some good switching play, Malacia all I can remember is 2 terrible corners, AWB done okay since coming on, Antony nice goal but I want to see more from him and Elanga, is he actually playing??

Santoryo

ripping the reward
    How does Elanga still keep getting game time ahead of Pellestri, he must be a fabulous trainer.
    Now that you mention it, I forgot he was playing. :lol:

To be fait to him he hasn't gotten much services. We've been passing the ball around with not much creation after the first 20 minutes or so.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
    Mainoo is seriously out of his depth, sadly. McTominay is also playing poorly, as is Malacia. Elanga totally non-existent
    Not really, he just isn't a natural 10.

He'd obviously be better deeper in midfield but ETH is playing him in a safer position. Have some patience.

RedIan

Garnacho was freaking awesome first 30 minutes.
    Great goal by Anthony, i wish we would try him right side see if he can beat a man.

SirScholes

Mctom and Fred is the worst duo
    Back to standing 5 yards away from each other so we can’t spread play
    At one point mctom had to actually dribble around Fred

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
    Anthony really is a bit shit and yet he somehow manages to score some lovely goals. But his all round general play is... questionable.
    I think a lot of it is just confidence. He has huge talent, you can tell his technique is elite, but he is just choosing the wrong options when taking on his man (or just refusing to do it, or going for a nice dribble rather than a simple move). It's something I can see him growing out of pretty easily, but takes time.

Bastian

Supports
    Mejbri
    Is ETH playing Elanga up front to make a point to the board?

He's championship quality at best.
    What would you have him do? Run Rashford into the ground? Or Martial - after saying he can't complete 90 minutes in such a hectic schedule? It's the only alternative.

It's a good chance to see what the requirements of the summer window are. Our depth is reads better on paper than seeing it on the pitch.

We need a lot more quick passing in the 2nd half to drag them out of position.

It's such a shame that Antony doesn't fancy doing anything other than telegramming that he's going to cut inside. The one time he went to the byline he didn't trust his right foot so he went full circle instead of crossing the ball.

Is it too late for a 23 year old to develop his weaker foot?

laughtersassassin

I’m not watching the game but aren’t you all a bit harsh for Elanga he is playing a position he isn’t used to.
    I don't think we are judging him on one game.

It's clear he has no future here. Extremely limited player for this level

IrishMcD

I can not stand McTominay, an absolute coward of a midfielder. Every time the centre halves get the ball, he actively hides. Will not step to the left or right to create an angle for a simple pass. Does not want to receive the ball off the back line. And when they do force a ball to him, his body positioning when receiving the ball is horrendous. How has he lasted this long at our club? Imagine if he had come through the ranks at Barca, Real, Bayern, City…..he have been sold ages ago. Hiding against Charlton, absolutely useless

Messier1994

The Swedish Rumble
    I know it's a very lazy comparison and only based on less than 45 mins but Mainoo reminds me of Pogba playing as a 10.

You can tell he's got the confidence by the way he moves so nonchalantly and his relaxed touches but he looks a bit positionally lost; he doesn't seem to be moving with and without the ball fast enough/with purpose.

He looks a talent but maybe needs to be a bit deeper to see more of the ball.
    Yeah, I agree.

But with both him, Elanga and a few others — football is a team game. Haaland can be totally marginalized in a game if he doesn’t get passes to work with. I definitely think both him and Elanga have been fine. Don’t think ETH has any problem with Elanga’s play whatsoever today. Presses really hard, a lot of good runs. Should he be in the Championship on loan? I think so for sure. But I don’t really get the point of calling them out in games like this.

ThinkTank@Cafe

I don’t mind Antony’s right food involvements level as long as his left keep scoring consistently. May be he is our striker? Sort of a geek’s Wide Poacher? who can also score from multiple of ranges?

Rustyspider13

Good half. It's very good to see that players know what they are supposed to do and trying their best to execute it. Could've put the game to bed by now if we had another one of our regular front four. Beautiful goal from Antony though.

Our entire left side of Martinez, Malacia, Fred and Garnacho have done brilliantly. My criticisms are that Elanga is weak on the ball, Antony has zero right foot and Maguire is still slow. Feels like Dalot's injury disrupted our momentum, but we picked it back up towards the end.

Charlton are still in it as long as 1-0, so need an early goal to go into cruise control.

pocco

loco
    Keep a clean shit tomorrow, United is my final bus
    I know it's a very lazy comparison and only based on less than 45 mins but Mainoo reminds me of Pogba playing as a 10.

You can tell he's got the confidence by the way he moves so nonchalantly and his relaxed touches but he looks a bit positionally lost; he doesn't seem to be moving with and without the ball fast enough/with purpose.

He looks a talent but maybe needs to be a bit deeper to see more of the ball.
    See I was thinking he could do with a bit more confidence, as Pogba had. I knew Pogba could have an impact at 18 because he was super confident and wanted the ball a lot, wasn't afraid to try things.

Mainoo is doing what a typical youngster does. But sometimes to make it here, you need to show that you believe you belong. As Garnacho did. Mainoo seems to hide from the ball a bit and relinquish it too easily to teammates when he gets it. He needs to find that desperate desire inside to have an impact on this game. If he continues to just "keep it calm and tidy" style, he'll not force himself into the picture any sooner. Obviously there'll be lots more chances down the line for him, and that's fine. But I want to see him match the enthusiasm of Garnacho and put his name into the picture.

Hoof the ball

Pellistri goes to the WC and does decently for Uruguay. Comes back and Elanga's getting all those sub/cup match minutes. :lol:

You'd have to be bemused if you were Facundo right now.

Bobski

I can not stand McTominay, an absolute coward of a midfielder. Every time the centre halves get the ball, he actively hides. Will not step to the left or right to create an angle for a simple pass. Does not want to receive the ball off the back line. And when they do force a ball to him, his body positioning when receiving the ball is horrendous. How has he lasted this long at our club? Imagine if he had come through the ranks at Barca, Real, Bayern, City…..he have been sold ages ago. Hiding against Charlton, absolutely useless
    He hasn't been good but only Martinez (46 to his 45) has made more passes than McTominay. Not hiding, just not playing well.

delerium

McT too close to Fred at times and why is he not shooting like he used to? He had at least 2 chances to shoot but decided not to and lost the ball or played backwards.

Elanga not looking like United footballer, I wonder what happened to him. Needs to step up biiig.

Garnacho great running but he needs to either shoot on target or pass to teammates. Counted two times where the pass was on inside the box but he went for the spectacular, which failed. It is common for players his age though.

Fred, Martinez great stuff.

Team is playing this like a training ground match, very sloppy at times, hopefully Ten Hag will give them a good dressing room talk.

Kag

Mctom and Fred is the worst duo
    Back to standing 5 yards away from each other so we can’t spread play
    At one point mctom had to actually dribble around Fred
    Fred is fine. He keeps getting lumped in with McTominay even though he is light years ahead of him. It’s lazy.

the_cliff

Don't you guys think it's a bit worrying that our academy product looks more the 80m player than the 80m player ?

Status
    Not open for further replies.
Post-match discussion

Player Ratings

6.3 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 191 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • Charlton win
  • Draw