Sun, 26 October 2014 @ 4:00pm GMT
Status

Closed

Discussion Live Updates 66 Your Lineup Prediction

• Status
    Not open for further replies.

Sied

I..erm..love U2, baby?
    Yeah - sounds about right. Mata has looked pale of late but he should be fired up before this one.

Besides, what's the alternative? Fellaini in the hole? There's something to be said for this - but I'd rather keep him on the bench and unleash him at some point as a so-called impact sub (which is the role he should have for us anyway).

RVP has to be dropped - let Falcao lead the line and prove he's worth his wages.
    Aye I agree about Fellaini. He was impressive vs West Brom but I've not suddenly flipped opinions to start him, like some. He offers a very one dimensional role that revolves around his strength and velcro chest. Maybe that will be useful from the bench again though.
    And yea, I'm tired of RVP's lacklustre performances. Hopefully he's not undroppable like it's starting to seem.

mbh

Van gaal is yet to be tested against the top 4 sides (chelks, lilpool, arsene and city). Sure he's a manager for the biggest games, not quite figured out how to deal with the lesser to average teams though...
    Someone alluded 352 and I think he just might revert to that now that we are back to full strength with adm possibly missing out:

Smalling Jones rojo
    Rafa Blind Carrick Shaw
    Herrera (if fit)/Mata
    Rvp Falcao

Balanced and can win
    Playing without a keeper? great idea.

RedChip

less of the negativity .... YES .. Chelski are a better team than us at this moment in time.
    We have some outstanding individual players who can turn a game
    We have probably the most taticly astute coach in the world, who has done nothing but study chelski
    all week, hoping to find a way to defeat them on sunday
    It will be the same in all big games, very close, chelsea are favourites, but we have more than a decent chance
    COME ON YOU REDS !!
    These.

Think cafe tradiation is 'this'. Not quite sure what that means. Anyhow, you have made several points and I agree with all of them.

Sied

I..erm..love U2, baby?
    Maybe RVP will start after all

anidea

Herrera/Blind/Di Maria/Mata(or, Fellaini)/valencia can hold up to Fabregas/Matic/Oscar/Willian/Hazard.

1. Herrera needs to be a bit more defensive and Blind/Herrera can combine to stop Fabregas/Oscar and creating some. Doable.

2. Di Maria needs to track back and help Shaw deal with Willian and overlapping Ivanovic. Difficult. Blind needs to cover, that is when Valencia (hope he is fit) and Herrera protect mid.

3. Valencia/ Rafael need to keep track of Hazard/Felipe. I think Valencia/Rafael can mostly do it without mid support or Herrera can help them out on a couple of occasions.

4. Fellaini should sit on Matic and get the ball down to Falcao (or RVP)'s feet. I am worried Mata will be bossed by the excellent Matic.

5.Jones/Rojo should communicate and focus for the full 90 minutes. Not allow Diego Costa/Hazard sight of goal. And, this is the part I am worried about, they are prone to too many mistakes, if defense doesn't improve till Jan, definitely need to get one in the window.

6. David De Gea needs to have an excellent game.

This will be touch and go, and unfortunately we might just lose by 1-2 or may be in the end, 1-3 but should definitely see improvements from Man Utd. I am also worried Valencia won't be fit, and Van Gaal for some reason won't play Herrera. And, he will bench Falcao.

If we manage to win this, I believe whatever the next match, our season will kick-start, team will play together and we will march ahead.

minoo-utd

I've been sick from what I hear from the media about this game, it really hurts how we became never favourites even at O.T yes it Chelsea and they are the top of the league but I wonder why every one I hear talking about this game is predicting us to lose not even we can get a point at our turf our home ? Ffs this is Manchester United at Old Trafford no matter what that won't change. Sorry if I'm a bit confused from those ...

tentan

Poor man's poster.
    Herrera/Blind/Di Maria/Mata(or, Fellaini)/valencia can hold up to Fabregas/Matic/Oscar/Willian/Hazard.

1. Herrera needs to be a bit more defensive and Blind/Herrera can combine to stop Fabregas/Oscar and creating some. Doable.

2. Di Maria needs to track back and help Shaw deal with Willian and overlapping Ivanovic. Difficult. Blind needs to cover, that is when Valencia (hope he is fit) and Herrera protect mid.

3. Valencia/ Rafael need to keep track of Hazard/Felipe. I think Valencia/Rafael can mostly do it without mid support or Herrera can help them out on a couple of occasions.

4. Fellaini should sit on Matic and get the ball down to Falcao (or RVP)'s feet. I am worried Mata will be bossed by the excellent Matic.

5.Jones/Rojo should communicate and focus for the full 90 minutes. Not allow Diego Costa/Hazard sight of goal. And, this is the part I am worried about, they are prone to too many mistakes, if defense doesn't improve till Jan, definitely need to get one in the window.

6. David De Gea needs to have an excellent game.

This will be touch and go, and unfortunately we might just lose by 1-2 or may be in the end, 1-3 but should definitely see improvements from Man Utd. I am also worried Valencia won't be fit, and Van Gaal for some reason won't play Herrera. And, he will bench Falcao.

If we manage to win this, I believe whatever the next match, our season will kick-start, team will play together and we will march ahead.

Lets actually compare both starting 11's(probable)

Courtois > De Gea
    Ivanovic > Rafael
    Terry > Jones
    Cahill > Rojo
    Luis > Shaw
    Matic > Blind
    Fabregas > Herrera
    Hazard = Di Maria
    Willian < Mata
    Oscar < Falcao
    Costa > RVP

Not looking good.

Barry Crocker

Courtois > De Gea
    Ivanovic > Rafael
    Terry > Jones
    Cahill > Rojo
    Luis > Shaw
    Matic > Blind
    Fabregas > Herrera
    Hazard = Di Maria
    Willian < Mata
    Oscar < Falcao
    Costa > RVP

Not looking good.
    These comparisons are meaningless though. Compare our starting 11 to Burnleys or West Brom and man for man we are comfortably better but its tough getting wins away from home at these places. The same can be said for Chelsea on sunday, i doubt they are looking forward to being the favourites so expected to win when at the same time having to deal with Di Maria, Mata, RVP and Falcao.
    If the game finishes as a draw Mourinho will probably be the one getting criticsm not LVG due to bookies having them as favs and the media already practically christening them as champions elect even though its only October.

UsualSuspect

Supports
    Chelsea

Courtois > De Gea
    Ivanovic > Rafael
    Terry > Jones
    Cahill > Rojo
    Luis > Shaw
    Matic > Blind
    Fabregas > Herrera
    Hazard = Di Maria
    Willian < Mata
    Oscar < Falcao
    Costa > RVP

Not looking good.
    Falcao and Mata being better than Oscar and Willian is pretty generous as well...

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist

Courtois > De Gea
    Ivanovic > Rafael
    Terry > Jones
    Cahill > Rojo
    Luis > Shaw
    Matic > Blind
    Fabregas > Herrera
    Hazard = Di Maria
    Willian < Mata
    Oscar < Falcao
    Costa > RVP

Not looking good.
    Would put De Gea on par with Courtois... Though these man for man things never mean much. Di Maria IMO is better then Hazard and would walk into their team, but alongside Hazard rather. Fabregas is better then Herrera as well, but if you compare how they played in La Liga, you would find plenty of people and stats that say otherwise.

melatonin

Would put De Gea on par with Courtois... Though these man for man things never mean much. Di Maria IMO is better then Hazard and would walk into their team, but alongside Hazard rather. Fabregas is better then Herrera as well, but if you compare how they played in La Liga, you would find plenty of people and stats that say otherwise.
    You're right but this does - Chelsea > Man Utd

Sean_RedDevil

Twitter bot
    I can't believe i'm saying that but i really hope Valencia is fit enough for the match (although LVG has said that's he isn't match fit)....he's energy could be important for us and he could help Rafael against Hazard (Their most dangerous player even if Costa starts)
    And i would start Young over Mata, RVP and Januzaj :houllier::lol: BUT.......

I would give Di Maria a free role in this match....i hope he has some magic moments and can give a few great passes to Falcao too
    Well we aren't so bad like many are thinking and Chelsea aren't so great like many are thinking....but i still think we can win this match only if we're working extremly hard and don't give them time + room in our half.....that's why i'm picking the other outfield players (especially the wingers).....Valencia & Young wouldn't do a great job in Chelsea's half but they will help a lot our full-backs and are fast for one or the other counter

Starting XI: De Gea - Rafael, Jones, Rojo, Shaw - Valencia, Herrera, Blind, Young - Di Maria - Falcao

Bench: Lindegaard, Smalling, Carrick, Fellaini, Mata, Januzaj, Van Persie (At least the bench looks decent :drool: )

othersna

I'm slowly becoming more optimistic about this. If our key players are on form and the team can play as a unit we should have a fair shot at home.

DDG
    Rafael Jones Rojo Shaw
    Blind
    Valencia Herrera Di Maria
    Mata
    Falcao
    Is how I would line up atm, I think the only alternative is a straight up 442 where Mata is dropped for RvP but that would be ballsy to say the least. In defense you'd see Herrera dropping alongside Blind while the wingers (and Mata) press. Falcao seems to be the better choice considering RvP's poor run lately.

Really wish we had Rooney for this, his energy behind the striker will be missed.

Hemil

Supports
    Chelsea
    LVG will never drop RVP to the bench. Why are you people even thinking that can happen?

Lawman

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
    I am going to be a disappointed man utd fan for the second week running. Can't see any chance of man utd winning this one. Hate to say this, but best we can hope is not to get thrashed too badly. After the Everton match I would call the writer of such pessimistic statements deluded, but now I realise they are merely being realistic while I have been looking through red tinted glasses.
    The thing is RVP has been woeful but he is capable of anything and is a big game player!

Devil may care

If LvG is going to insist on playing RvP then we might as well go back to the diamond so Falcao can start as well.

hundred_trillion

LVG will never drop RVP to the bench. Why are you people even thinking that can happen?
    Eh, it's definitely possible but not when Rooney and Carrick are both out and there are no natural leaders on the pitch. Van Gaal will want someone who can lead the team in implementing what he wants to do, and those three are probably the main contenders. Once Rooney is back, I think van Persie will be at risk of being dropped.

Lewis.no.9

Maybe controversial, but I would use some taller options against Chelsea. I think Smalling and Rojo could form a good partnership and both have height on their side (Im guessing Smalling is taller than Jones as it seems so). Chelsea have some large dominate figures and are always a threat from Set pieces and Jones could be a Penalty waiting to happen against their tricky players. I would also go with Fellaini for another physical/good in the air body that can help against the Chelsea threat in this way, as well as be our own threat too. Di Maria whips in some un real crosses and Falcao is just exceptional at headers, add Fellaini in there too and we look dangerous (Fellaini is also guna be high on confidence, throw him in and see what he can do).

Mata hasnt been doing it for me and RVPs link up play in the No.10 position with Falcao atm is way better than him being the top dog scoring the chances. With Rooney out I would Start Falcao uptop, with Di Maria and RVP as the link between Midfield and attack, then a 3 man midfield of Blind, Herrera and Fellaini.

Just my 2 cents -

Louis Van Gaal's Press Conference

His answer to the first question is great!

NinjaFletch

In his prediction where he shockingly expects United to lose Mark Lawrenson has put in this utterly false line in his prediction for the Chelsea match:

If it was not for their goalkeeper David de Gea, United probably would not have come away from The Hawthorns with anything, which does not bode well for the visit of Chelsea.

De Gea didn't make a save, so Lawrenson must've saw some highly inspirational pep talk from de Gea or he didn't actually watch they game and came up with the lazy assumption that our defence is shit and therefor de Gea has to have a blinder every game for us to win a point. What a tool.
    And for some reason blamed Rafael despite being at fault for none of the goals.

Water Melon

Gotta love the way the press is all over us, a team with a new manager, 6 new players in the starting 11, after an awful year under Moyes. We will be back quite soon, and I fully expect us to get at least a point tomorrow.

Manc_Union

Be surprised if LvG goes 4-4-2 for this, although I do agree with a lot of people who said if Tony V is fit he should start to give defenisve cover against Hazard.

For me Costa will more than likely start, even if its Remy or Drogba they could still cause us problems the way we've defended this season. Chelsea being a big powerful side means we need to match that, So Marouane should start, and play up top and try do a job on Matic when they have the ball, although I feel Matic is too good to even be affected by Fellaini, but we'll see.

Can't see us winning this, have no confidence in our side to even get a point here, and the fact that LvG himself has said Mourinho is a better manager than him doesn't bode well. Angel will be kicked off the pitch and go missing i should imagine, but thats a learning curve for him, as thats what English football is about, and he would have never been treated like that in Spain, especially as he was in the shadow of Ronnie, and then Bale as well last season so the opposition would have had no reason to specifically target him.

Looking at the lineup we'll miss Wayne, he had that grit you need for the big games, and if you look at our potential attack and midfield tomorrow they'll be very inexperienced in the PL compared to Chelsea, and thats where the game will be won for me, in the midfield.

That said I would go

De Gea
    Rafael Jones Rojo Shaw

Blind
    Valencia Carrick di Maria

Fellaini

Falcao

You have the height of Fellaini, and Carrick for set-pieces, you also have their PL experience, Fellainis physical prowess and the fact he could have a great day if Angels delivieries were as good as Monday night. Tony V has the defensive work rate, the pace and strength, his end product and decision making can be questioned, but again he has PL experience needed for a big game. I'd pick Falcao over RvP as he seems far more mobile, and he single-handedly took Chelsea apart for Atleti, and it was more or less the same defence he'll face tomorrow, so he knows how to mug off Cahill and Terry.

Rafa and Shaw pick themselves really for me, i'd go with Rojo and Phil as they're both quick and strong, and good in the air, and Rojo I felt was very good in possession on Monday, he also handled Berahino very well in the second half when he was clearly told to get tighter. Don't think he could be blamed for the goal personally.

Blind should start as I think he's a fantastic footballer, maybe just needs to be a bit more disciplined tomorrow and never venture forward.

NinjaFletch

Hard to argue with that. They are better man for man almost every area and play as a much more cohesive unit. My United bias says we will get something from the game though, against all logic.
    Rooney over Oscar I'd have, but yes. They're ahead of us.

DannyDash

Be surprised if LvG goes 4-4-2 for this, although I do agree with a lot of people who said if Tony V is fit he should start to give defenisve cover against Hazard.

For me Costa will more than likely start, even if its Remy or Drogba they could still cause us problems the way we've defended this season. Chelsea being a big powerful side means we need to match that, So Marouane should start, and play up top and try do a job on Matic when they have the ball, although I feel Matic is too good to even be affected by Fellaini, but we'll see.

Can't see us winning this, have no confidence in our side to even get a point here, and the fact that LvG himself has said Mourinho is a better manager than him doesn't bode well. Angel will be kicked off the pitch and go missing i should imagine, but thats a learning curve for him, as thats what English football is about, and he would have never been treated like that in Spain, especially as he was in the shadow of Ronnie, and then Bale as well last season so the opposition would have had no reason to specifically target him.

Looking at the lineup we'll miss Wayne, he had that grit you need for the big games, and if you look at our potential attack and midfield tomorrow they'll be very inexperienced in the PL compared to Chelsea, and thats where the game will be won for me, in the midfield.

That said I would go

De Gea
    Rafael Jones Rojo Shaw

Blind
    Valencia Carrick di Maria

Fellaini

Falcao

You have the height of Fellaini, and Carrick for set-pieces, you also have their PL experience, Fellainis physical prowess and the fact he could have a great day if Angels delivieries were as good as Monday night. Tony V has the defensive work rate, the pace and strength, his end product and decision making can be questioned, but again he has PL experience needed for a big game. I'd pick Falcao over RvP as he seems far more mobile, and he single-handedly took Chelsea apart for Atleti, and it was more or less the same defence he'll face tomorrow, so he knows how to mug off Cahill and Terry.

Rafa and Shaw pick themselves really for me, i'd go with Rojo and Phil as they're both quick and strong, and good in the air, and Rojo I felt was very good in possession on Monday, he also handled Berahino very well in the second half when he was clearly told to get tighter. Don't think he could be blamed for the goal personally.

Blind should start as I think he's a fantastic footballer, maybe just needs to be a bit more disciplined tomorrow and never venture forward.
    Got to 100% agree with that line up, like you said its a gritty line up for a big game and not about the best players. Hoping Falcao starts, he just has to...

SonnyTheHaloPro

"Van Gaal is David Moyes +£150million"
    Gotta love the way the press is all over us, a team with a new manager, 6 new players in the starting 11, after an awful year under Moyes. We will be back quite soon, and I fully expect us to get at least a point tomorrow.
    Erm, you do realise other teams have to integrate new players into the team as well you know? Chelea for example bought Courtios, Luis, Costa and Fabregas, almost half a new team and they're top of the league. Southampton, West Brom and West Ham too.

Ash_G

Hope Fellaini doesn't come straight in, he scored a good goal and made an impact but just don't think he'll play well around the others and I think when he plays deeper in a more central midfield role he's guilty of pushing up too much. Towards the end of the West Brom game, as good as his goal was when we wanted to build momentum we just couldn't as getting the ball forward on the ground was so slow as there were too many gaps imo.

But then it's hard to see how we'll line up, the diamond is probably too defensively frail for Chelsea. I reckon though Herrera will be better with another week to recover and certainly fitter so going for the 433 again would be our best bet. I'd chose Falcao over RVP though and then as much as I hate to say it potentially Valencia if fit over Januzaj for the defensive protection.

Kitch87

The team I would go for (obviously won't happen though):

Fellaini can drop back into midfield when we are not in possession, he can offer physical threat up top when in possession, for me his best position just behind the striker, I'd rather see him their against Chelsea than Mata or Januzaj purely for physical reasons. Hernandez used to do well against Chelsea so Wilson could be dangerous with Fellaini and Falcao physical presence helping him, his quickness could be a problem for them as the defenders would be concentrating on battling with Fellaini and Falcao. Obviously Shaw and Rafael can offer more width by getting forward down the wings when we are in possession.

Rampant-red

Very nervous about thus fixture. Just can't see is getting anything with the current form of Joses team at the moment, but you never know.

Jazz

Just in case anyone missed it. I don't like Mount.
    Can't wait for this tomorrow! Pretty sure Falcao will start with RVP. Can't believe am saying this either but wouldn't mind if Valencia was fit for this. In any case, whomever is on the field better remember they're playing for the shirt and we can't afford to lose. We're ManUTD ffs - wish the players would remember that. If they get into the right frame of mind we're more than capable of getting something from this imo.

Speak

Step up to my misogyny soapbox
    The team I would go for (obviously won't happen though):

Fellaini can drop back into midfield when we are not in possession, he can offer physical threat up top when in possession, for me his best position just behind the striker, I'd rather see him their against Chelsea than Mata or Januzaj purely for physical reasons. Hernandez used to do well against Chelsea so Wilson could be dangerous with Fellaini and Falcao physical presence helping him, his quickness could be a problem for them as the defenders would be concentrating on battling with Fellaini and Falcao. Obviously Shaw and Rafael can offer more width by getting forward down the wings when we are in possession.
    Sorry, but that would get torn apart. Blind is basically the only one with the discipline to hold his position when we have the ball.
    Even Herrera just seems to get caught out of position or too high up the field.
    And bearing in mind that Chelsea will encourage us to get numbers forward - it could be horrific.

It's really evident how badly we need to sign another holding midfielder - even if just for these bigger games.
    Let's hope Carrick can play. And that he brings it.

If Carrick can't play, I'm swaying towards playing Di Maria wide left, Valencia next to Blind, with Herrera in front. Falcao up top. Not sure who should go wide right though.

Again, let's hope Carrick can play, and then Valencia can go wide right.

Last edited:

hardikrajgor123

I think it will be very important to pack the midfield with players who are physically strong and have the energy and pace to deal with that strong Chelsea midfield. That's where the game will be won and lost in my opinion.

Fellaini - Do we start with him? Personally, I think he had a decent game last week but his awareness and positional sense is a big question mark. He has a knack of making tackles that, if not successful, leave a lot of space open. He doesn't sense danger, like say a Michael Carrick. A positive for him, is his physical superiority.

Herrera - A fit Ander Herrera has to start for me. He has the energy to chase players and stop moves. I believe he's an intelligent footballer and generally reads the game well.

Blind - Will be an obvious starter for me. He's a simple, no nonsense footballer. He keeps the ball moving and makes the right pass 9 times out of 10. He has been orchestrating a lot of United's moves at Old Trafford this season. Controlling the game in midfield. He is a very important player for United this Sunday. He's not the biggest lad but a good reader of a football game.

Valencia - Has the physical presence and energy that you might need against a team like Chelsea, he will chase players down and help in defense. He might not be the best going forward but he'll put in a good work rate and help our already shaky defense.

Di Maria - He's our most in form player moving forward and he has to have a big game against Chelsea. He can provide that magic in the final third. He can dribble past players, he can run quick with the ball, he can zip in some really brilliant balls. A fit Falcao making runs behind players dreams of a player like Di Maria playing on the left hand side.

Mata - Hasn't had the best of games recently but up against his former team, will that motivate/inspire him? I believe it's risky to start with Mata, he's definitely found wanting defensively. You can't have too many players who would struggle defensively against Chelsea playing in midfield, given Di Maria could also be one of those players who won't help as much back, as a Valencia. Maybe Mata could be used as an impact sub.

Janujaz - Hasn't done anything recently to deserve a place in the lineup. Again, not a big lad either. Would be a gamble to start with him. Could be used a substitution if United fall back in the game.

I'd personally go with this midfield:

----------------------Blind------------------------

Valencia --------- Herrera ---------- Di Maria--

Dazzmondo

Oscar in the team ahead of any of Rooney, Falcao, van Persie or Mata? Yeah, okay :houllier:. Costa is really only greater than our strikers based on form also. Rooney, Falcao and van Persie are all world class players. While Chelsea undoubtedly have more great players in more positions, these comparisons are a bit ridiculous. If you were going off pure quality and without positions being a factor a lot of Chelsea players would be out of that team. Ultimately, it doesn't mean much in terms of the game this Sunday as Fellaini will likely play to nullify Matic instead of the clearly far superior Mata. Also, Courtois is excellent, but not sure how everyone believes he's better than de Gea. Courtois is better at rushing out from his goal, but de Gea is definitely the better shot-stopper/has better reflexes. Neither are near Neuer yet, and both are among the top 3 keepers in the Premier League. If Hazard and di Maria are put down as equal according to another poster then de Gea and Courtois definitely should be also. For what it's worth, though both would of course make the first XI, di Maria is better than Hazard imo.

Last edited:
    Status
    Not open for further replies.
Post-match discussion

Player Ratings

6.4 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 543 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • Chelsea win