fergiewherearethou

Supports
    Erik ten Hag
    Onana
    Dalot - Varane - Lindelof - Reguilon
    Casemiro - Amrabat
    Mount
    Bruno - Hojlund - Garnacho

After seeing the team work as a unit last night, starting Rashford would seem like a backwards step. He should be left out the team until he is willing to work for the team like everyone else.
    That would be my pick too but it's hard to believe Rashford will be benched.
    I would also give Maguire a boost in confidence after last night's display by starting him again.

Frank Grimes

Onana
    Dalot Lindelof Varane Reguillon
    Amrabat Casemiro
    Mount Bruno Rashford
    Hojlund

Amrabat's arrival gives our forward thinking midfield players more protection and ability to roam, especially Mount.

Longlivekeano

——————-onana———————

-dalot—-Lindelof-varane—-reguilon

———-Casemiro—amrabat————

——————bruno————————-

—Mount——-hojlund———Rashford-

sincher

"I will cry if Rooney leaves"
    ——————-onana———————

-dalot—-Lindelof-varane—-reguilon

———-Casemiro—amrabat————

——————bruno————————-

—Mount——-hojlund———Rashford-
    Yeah, I like that. Mount and Fernandes could both have fairly free roles in that system.

MrBest

I would rest Varane for Champs league. Bring him on for a few mins at end if we need to close out the game.

I am torn with the left back position. Reguilon is natural there but Amrabat played the role so much better yesterday, the way he came in and acted as another midfielder and helped switch play. Does hag want Hannibal in the 8? That allows Bruno at 10 and Mount on the right. For Palace I would

Onana
    Dalot Lindeloff maguire Amrabat
    Casemiro Hannibal
    Bruno
    Mount Hojlund Rashford (but take him off for Garnacho if he does nothing)

HJ12

No way Palace will be as passive again as last night. They basically stood off of our defenders and midfielders most of the game allowing us to pass with no pressure. Expect there to be a lot more urgency from them on Saturday.

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
    Scout
    There’s an understandable euphoria on the caf after our best performance of the season. I thoroughly enjoyed the game and it gave us reasons to be optimistic about the capabilities of our midfield with so many players back or close to returning.

On the other hand, Saturday will make it clear whether we’re truly on our way or if Palace played too much of a part in our showing with their own dire performance. We won’t get anything like that amount of time on the ball in the “proper” game against them, and all that half-arsing and passive play will be replaced by serious graft and aggression - I highly doubt that they will allow us to make it look like a training session again.

They’ve also just been embarrassed, which’ll come with a pride to show what they’re really about. On top of that, there will be counter strategy to some of our tactics, especially revolving around the spaces Amrabat vacated from his nominal role. There’s also the factor of Rashford not tracking back compared to Garnacho. I’d expect a concerted effort from Hodgson to work us hard down that left flank.

Looking forward to the game, but I will be scrubbing the Carling Cup game from my mind as I expect Palace to be a wholly different proposition.

theyneverlearn

and this one probably never will
    Onana

Dalot
    Varane
    Lindelof
    Reguilon

Casemiro
    Amrabat
    Bruno

Mount
    Hojlund
    Rashford
    This looks a good lineup, I would feel bad for Hannibal as he hasn’t done a lot wrong, but I expect he has earned himself decent minutes in most games, and starting a few others.

If no Reguilon, then move Amrabat to LB and Hannibal in the middle.

Feels strange to have decent options again.

Chaky_Best

Supports 'a joke of a club'.
    Go full force and try to win this game.

---------------------------------------------Onana-----------------------------------------------
    Dalot-------------------------Varane------------Lindelof-------------------Reguilon
    ---------------------------------Casemiro---------Mount----------------------------------
    Bruno-----------------------------------Eriksen--------------------------------Rashford
    ---------------------------------------------Hojlund---------------------------------------------

Hughes35

Don't think the manager will play it, but I'd go with:

------------------------------Onana------------------------
    Dalot--------------Varane-------Maguire----------Amrabat
    ------------------Casemiro-------Hannibal----------------------
    Mount-----------------------Bruno--------------------------Garnacho
    --------------------------------Hojlund-------------------------------------

Pellistri on after about an hour for Mount. Reguilon for Hannibal if needed.

Said it in another thread but it's nice to have selection headaches for once.

Dve

Why are we playing both legs at home?
    There is only one leg. The weekend's match is in the PL.

Edit: There are two legs in the semifinal, though, but not before.

Last edited:

simonhch

Horrible boss
    Supports
    Urban Combat Preparedness
    If Martinez is back the team I’d like to see is:

Onana

Dalot — Varane — Lindelof -- Martinez

Casemiro — Amrabat

Bruno ———-—- Mount ————— Rashford

Hojlund
    For me, with his passing ability, and quality on the ball, not to mention his engine and tenaciousness, I think Martinez is tailor made that that inverted full back into midfield role. I’d also like us to play with two more traditional CBs. The work rate, energy, and technical ability of Casemiro, Amrabat, Bruno and Mount will work extremely well I believe. Mount and Bruno can also swap roles, and Amrabat and Casemiro can take turns pushing forwards. It’s complementary across the park. Dalot can stay wide and provide the overload.

If Martinez isn’t fit, Amrabat to left back and Hannibal into midfield. I prefer Martinez at LB to Reguilon because of the fire he brings, the competitiveness. He often plays there for Argentina. Arsenal were looking to sign him for that inverted LB role. The same role Gvardiol is playing for City. He’s made for it.

Cantonagotmehere

Who I hope it will be (if Licha out)

--------------------Onana------------------
    Dalot ----Varane - Lindelof---Reguilon
    ---------Casemiro-----Amrabat
    -------------------Bruno---------
    Mount -----Hojlund-------Rashford (Garnacho at 60)

Teja

not to mention his engine and tenaciousness
    Does he work particularly hard? I think the role demands pace, stamina and tactical awareness - Martinez doesn't seem like a guy that has that engine. I don't think we've seen any CB (maybe bar Timber) pull of that transition from CB -> Inverted fullback. Usually it's either a CM or a natural FB. Both roles demand technical excellence and physicality.

simonhch

Horrible boss
    Supports
    Urban Combat Preparedness
    Does he work particularly hard? I think the role demands pace, stamina and tactical awareness - Martinez doesn't seem like a guy that has that engine. I don't think we've seen any CB (maybe bar Timber) pull of that transition from CB -> Inverted fullback. Usually it's either a CM or a natural FB. Both roles demand technical excellence and physicality.
    Physicality is a hallmark of his game. Tactical awareness, I think his biggest strength is his ability to step into midfield and steal the ball in high areas. Better than his defending in the box. And technically, he’s got a great left foot. One of the best passers from the back in Europe.

You may be right, and it is hard to judge, but my analysis is that he’s made for that role. It minimises his weaknesses and maximises his strengths. I’m a huge Licha fan. I just thought from day one that it’s exactly the role Pep or Lego Pep would use him in, and given our full back shortage, it might be a chance to discover something that makes us better as a team. But…..I am fully prepared to be wrong; and candidly don’t expect the manager to ever do this. I also don’t think pace is so important for the inverted full back. They more stay in defensive midfield, so getting up and down the line isn’t an issue. Playing him there also enables us to drop into a back three at any time mid game. It gives us a lot of options for shape, and as I said, I think it would suit him and us.

CM

It's nice to have the feeling that we might see a half decent performance from the midfield after that Carabao match in midweek. Amrabat and Mount both did well and the younger players gave a good account of themselves too. I hope it gives Ten Hag all the encouragement he needs to do away with McTominay permanently.

Walters_19_MuFc

Onana
    Dalot Varane Lindelof Amrabat
    Casemiro Mount
    Bruno Hannibal Rashford
    Hojlund

Martial, Pellistri, Garnacho, Maguire

DJ_21

Evens winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'
    Would like to see Mount given a chance at RW and move Bruno back centrally. I’d start Garnacho again on the left with Hojlund upfront. The biggest decision will be wether he brings Amrabat into midfield or keeps him at LB where he performed the role very well.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
    Onana
    Casemiro Mount
    Bruno Hannibal Rashford
    Hojlund

Martial, Pellistri, Garnacho, Maguire
    I'd imagine hannibal sits next to Cas whilst Bruno swaps with Mount in that lineup

Svartzonker

Last Man Standing 2 champion 2022/23
    Onana
    Dalot Varane Maguire Lindelöf
    Casemiro Amrabat
    Mount Bruno Rashford
    Hojlund

No need to risk semi injured players like Martinez and Reguilon.

Bwuk

More I think about it, I think we'll see Hannibal start again.

Two games in a row he's played, and played well. His pressing stats are much better than everyones. Mount isn't fully fit either.

Onana
    Lindelof - Varane - Maguire - Dalot
    Casemiro - Amrabat
    Bruno - Hannibal - Rashford
    Hojlund​

Ali Dia

Souness's Super Sub/George Weahs Talented Cousin
    There’s an understandable euphoria on the caf after our best performance of the season. I thoroughly enjoyed the game and it gave us reasons to be optimistic about the capabilities of our midfield with so many players back or close to returning.

On the other hand, Saturday will make it clear whether we’re truly on our way or if Palace played too much of a part in our showing with their own dire performance. We won’t get anything like that amount of time on the ball in the “proper” game against them, and all that half-arsing and passive play will be replaced by serious graft and aggression - I highly doubt that they will allow us to make it look like a training session again.

They’ve also just been embarrassed, which’ll come with a pride to show what they’re really about. On top of that, there will be counter strategy to some of our tactics, especially revolving around the spaces Amrabat vacated from his nominal role. There’s also the factor of Rashford not tracking back compared to Garnacho. I’d expect a concerted effort from Hodgson to work us hard down that left flank.

Looking forward to the game, but I will be scrubbing the Carling Cup game from my mind as I expect Palace to be a wholly different proposition.
    Good post. Palace even looked far far more dangerous once Eze and the cavalry came on. It’s going to be a lot closer of a game for sure and we will have to deal with a lot more attacking pressure and being forced into making mistakes closer to our goal. As this season has gone so far I could see it being a high scoring draw but hopefully we shore up the midfield and control the game and can pick them off.

Onana
    Dalot
    Varane
    Lindelof
    Reguilon
    Casemiro
    Amrabat
    Bruno
    Mount
    Rashford
    Martial

Rasmus, Garnacho, Hannibal, Maguire and Pellistri all unlucky to miss out after playing well recently but competition is always a good thing. I hope the manager sees this and continues to rotate and keep freshness and the element of surprise.

Apart from Mainoo Martinez Shaw and Antony this is pretty much our full squad now for the season so I hope to see a lot more solidarity in defence and attacking dynamics than in the last few league games. I think we will start to look good again once we pick up some confidence from these winnable games. Majorly positive signs our squad depth and competition for places is starting to look tasty. It’s up to the manager to keep things fresh and keep the fringe players fit and interested and pushing the starters to better performances and working harder than ever off the ball.

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
    Scout
    Good post. Palace even looked far far more dangerous once Eze and the cavalry came on. It’s going to be a lot closer of a game for sure and we will have to deal with a lot more attacking pressure and being forced into making mistakes closer to our goal. As this season has gone so far I could see it being a high scoring draw but hopefully we shore up the midfield and control the game and can pick them off.

Onana
    Dalot
    Varane
    Lindelof
    Reguilon
    Casemiro
    Amrabat
    Bruno
    Mount
    Rashford
    Martial

Rasmus, Garnacho, Hannibal, Maguire and Pellistri all unlucky to miss out after playing well recently but competition is always a good thing. I hope the manager sees this and continues to rotate and keep freshness and the element of surprise.

Apart from Mainoo Martinez Shaw and Antony this is pretty much our full squad now for the season so I hope to see a lot more solidarity in defence and attacking dynamics than in the last few league games. I think we will start to look good again once we pick up some confidence from these winnable games. Majorly positive signs our squad depth and competition for places is starting to look tasty. It’s up to the manager to keep things fresh and keep the fringe players fit and interested and pushing the starters to better performances and working harder than ever off the ball.
    This is the thing. Once you ‘earn the right to play’ by dispiriting the opposition (essentially winning the midfield battle and then the lead on individual ones (sweeping up)), a potentially competitive game can become a procession as they give up, or become half-hearted. It used to be a cornerstone of our successful sides and others in the league now have that aura and mojo about them.

Palace did give up and conserve energy, but we had a huge hand in that with our own intensity and pressure. I hope those coming back into the team as starters will match that and play their part in earning us the right to play. If they do, hero ball’s necessity will reduce and we can continue to look like a cohesive unit, which is what we should be working towards anyway.

If we remain tight knit, Palace’s powerful runners (especially Eze) will have to pick and choose their moments and avoid being embroiled in an extensive two-way contest which drains their tanks and reduces the amount of all-out sprints they can execute. If we can keep them working away from our goal, the breaks and surges won’t have anything like the venom we’ve been at the mercy of in so many games this season.

Roy is a decent tactician and he’ll have thought up some measures against what we put them through on Tuesday, so long as our counter measures are stronger, the difference in quality of the players should take the game away from them. It’s a very good game to see what ten Hag is about, as back-to-back games against the same opponent definitely have extra flavour in terms of tactical acumen.

re attacking dynamics. If we finally have a decent midfield unit, the spotlight will turn back to the final third of the pitch. Mount, Bruno, Rashford and Højlund have to familiarise themselves with one another and now with so much energy and aggression by way of the two returnees, Rashford is going to be forced to meet the bar because all of a sudden, he’ll be a non-worker amidst a throng of grafters in midfield and attack. Citing Klopp’s best Liverpool sides, there was no player in their midfield or attacking trios who did not put in a solid shift; Rashford has to match what Garnacho outputs or he should now be in jeopardy of losing his place. Intensity and collective movement is everything and we need to build on what we’ve just done in that regard.

Last edited:

Offside

Euro 2016 sweepstake winner
    United should be winning all their games up until the City game. Under ETH we have a great record against the lesser teams and even if it’s a 2-1 I think we’ll win here.

Gordon S

Tuesdays game and feelings around it have got me thinking about the importance of the cups.

This isn´t the first time we have looked a bit more lively and relaxed while playing cup games. Are our players feeling the pressure to much when playing league games? They can´t cope and shits the bed when the heat is on..?

A part of me like the cup games because i am not that devastated if we lose, combined with us quite often playing a bit better makes it an easier watch. A part of me doesn´t like it because i feel i would swap any win in a cupgame for a win in the league instead. Apart from maybe winning the final of the cup, which is fun.

I mean imagine if we lose on saturday.. oh man.

Levenstein

—————Onana
    Dalot-Varane-Maguire-Lindelof
    CasemiroAmrabat
    Mount—-BrunoRashford
    —————Martial

Would prefer keeping Reguilon for CL if not 100% fit. If Reguilon completely fit then Lindelof instead of Maguire and Reguilon as LB.

Would also like to see Martial and Hojlund playing together. At half time would swap Hojlund and Rashford and then Martial on the wing.

Also could do that:

—————Onana
    Dalot-Varane-Maguire-Lindelof
    —————Amrabat
    Mount————Casemiro
    —————Bruno
    ——Hojlund —-Martial

Last edited:

Walters_19_MuFc

I'd imagine hannibal sits next to Cas whilst Bruno swaps with Mount in that lineup
    Why?

Mount played deeper against Palace, and the few appearances Hannibal has made for us, have been as a CAM.

Bruno, due to versatility and ability to produce goals and assists in most positions, means he is often moved around to suit other players.

Despite playing against a very reserved Palace side, I think the dynamism of Mount and Hannibal with Casemiro sitting worked well. Therefore, I don't see why ten Hag would change it.

Actually, if I was going to change the team, I would take out Hannibal and put in Pellistri, who I thought was a great outlet for us against Palace, and worked really well with Dalot down the right.

Onana
    Casemiro Mount
    Pellistri Bruno Rashford
    Hojlund​

UnitedRepublic

GK - Onana
    RB - Dalot
    CB - Varane
    CB - Lindelöf
    LB - Reguilion
    DLP - Amrabat