Kick-off
Fri, 10 August 2018 @ 8:00pm BST
Status

Closed

Discussion Live Updates 58 Your Lineup Prediction

• Status
    Not open for further replies.

Hoof the ball

"Brilliant". Played a couple of pub teams and reserves of other unfit Premier League-sides/Milan/Real. Let's chill down with the superlatives. Pereira was perfectly alright, not brilliant just because he managed to string a few passes together.
    Superlatives, in this instance, are relative to the general performances of the United squad, in which case, he was the outstanding performer. Also, let's not limit observations merely to the passes he played. He showed quick feet in tight spaces and played very well against the high press.

Don't be so heavy, man. You're bringing me down......

Andersons Dietician

I’m plumping for a 3-1 win tonight and a 352 formation.

Can’t even bare the thought of what will happen if it’s a draw or loss.

SirAnderson

Despite all the negativity this pre-season, I'm still so excited for our season to start.
    In the end its watching the team you support, through thick and thin, and looking forward to every minute of it.

TheFlagStaysDown

Supports
    Shamrock rovers
    "Brilliant". Played a couple of pub teams and reserves of other unfit Premier League-sides/Milan/Real. Let's chill down with the superlatives. Pereira was perfectly alright, not brilliant just because he managed to string a few passes together.
    he was our best player on the tour. of course premier league is another step up but he should be physically and mentally ready. let's see tonight

The Red Roman

///VS///

Date - Friday, August 10 2018
    Kickoff Time - 2000 Hrs BST

Venue - Old Trafford, Manchester

League standings and form guide

Manchester United:

Leicester City:

Previous Meetings

Leicester City 2—2 Manchester United

Manchester United 2—0 Leicester City

Leicester City 0—3 Manchester United

Manchester United 4—1 Leicester City

Manchester United 1—1 Leicester City

All-Time Record

Manchester United wins: 59
    Leicester City wins: 32
    Draws: 29

Pre-Match Pressers

José Mourinho

Claude Puel

Team News

Manchester United

Nemanja Matić, Antonio Valencia Diogo Dalot, Marcos Rojo, Ander Herrera and Sergio Romero ruled out. Marouane Fellaini, Jesse Lingard, Ashley Young, Paul Pogba, Phil Jones and Eric Bailly not available or doubtful.

Leicester City

Matty James ruled out. Jamie Vardy, Harry Maguire, Jonny Evans, James Maddison and Nampalys Mendy doubtful.

Know the opposition

Leicester City Football Club (nicknamed The Foxes, The Blues, City, and Blue Army), are a professional football club based in Leicester. Leicester City was founded in 1884 by a group of old boys of Wyggeston School as Leicester Fosse, before joining the Football Association in 1890. In 1919, when League football resumed after World War I, Leicester Fosse ceased trading due to financial difficulties of which little is known. The club was reformed as Leicester City Football Club, particularly appropriate as the borough of Leicester had recently been given city status.

Leicester City have enjoyed moderate success through the years - winning 3 League Cups, and reaching the final of the FA Cup 4 times - prior to their odds-defying Premier League title win in 2015/16. Leicester City's most prominent rivals are Nottingham Forest, Coventry City and Derby County, and they have been playing their home games at The King Power Stadium (originally named Filbert Way) since 2002.

Familiar Faces

Danny Simpson, Matty James and Jonny Evans

Referee

Andre Marriner.​
    Mourinho still holds the support from the majority of fans, but it dipped with United’s performances and limp Uefa Champions League elimination to Sevilla in March. Last season started well but faded badly for Mourinho’s men. This one must start well even though Mourinho must do that without his players who reached the latter stages of the World Cup – he wanted every player to have three weeks’ holiday. United finished second in the Premier League last season, 19 points behind Manchester City. I expect a genuine title challenge after five seasons without coming close. I also hope for more entertaining football and a backlash won’t be far away if it doesn’t come. Mourinho has made improvements and deserves that third season in charge, but there will be serious questions asked if United are 19 points behind their noisy neighbours this year.

Getting 90 points should put United in contention to win the title. That is a 9-point improvement on last season, which should be do-able when you consider that United lost too Huddersfield, Newcastle and Brighton the three newly promoted clubs. Obviously, the hope is that City will not be able to stay at ridiculously good level they played at last season which will help United close the gap and allow us to at least put in a genuine title challenge.

United’s first 10 games are relatively gentle and should provide us with the chance to get plenty of points on the board by the time November rolls round. Mourinho has put pressure on the players a bit here because he has created a cloud around the club with his demeanour in pre-season, but behind the scenes the player’s mood is good. Mourinho with the media is totally different to the Mourinho with the players, but it does feel that only a convincing start to the season will remove fans’ worries about a lack of transfer activity and general negative vibe around the club. The time for judgement begins with this game, a game I expect United to win and maybe need to win so negative momentum the manager has helped create does not build.

Leicester’s usual approach is to sit-deep and use their speed to play on the counter-attack so United will probably dominate the majority of possession here. United will have plenty of individual quality on the pitch but under Mourinho we are yet to witness any true understanding between the United attacking players when they have controlled possession. Another problem could be a potential lack of width, Sanchez likes to cut inside from the left and Juan Mata will want to float between the lines from the right so attacking width will have to come from the full-backs. Matteo Darmian will play from the right despite the fact he is still expected to leave in the European transfer window because Valencia and Dalot are both injured. Darmian is more of a defensive full-back rather than a good over lapper so United might lack penetration and end product down the right. On the left Luke Shaw will start despite speculation that Mourinho doesn’t rate him particularly highly. This is a great opportunity for Shaw to finally make the left back position his own. At his best Shaw is dynamic and speedy going forward with tremendous acceleration. He's the type of player who can receive the ball in a defensive position, distribute neatly into midfield, then immediately find offer the option of a return ball on the overlap. He is exactly the sort of player United need at full-back, last season a big problem down the left was the lack of a naturally overlapping left-back. Sanchez's drifts in-field robbed United of width; while Ashley Young has manfully adjusted to the full-back position, he also enjoys cutting inside onto his right foot, making United's attacks somewhat predictable. Shaw naturally overlaps his winger to stretch the play before swinging crosses into the box. The problem is he has never looked truly confident since he broke his leg in 2015. The club want Shaw to be a success, but I feel he probably needs to move to a mid-table club to rebuild his confidence. United is not the place and Mourinho is not the manager to redevelop your confidence, so it will be interesting to see how Shaw does in the opening few weeks while Ashley Young builds up his fitness. I would not be surprised to see United struggle to create good chances to score here and it may take a moment of individual quality or catching Leicester out on the counter-attack to break the deadlock. Sanchez is the man most likely to produce something, he enjoyed a summer break after continually playing in tournaments with Chile in previous summers. He has looked very sharp in pre-season.

Vardy’s absence for Leicester and Mahrez’s sale to Man City robs Leicester of most of their attacking threat. Those two were responsible for around 50% of Leicester’s goals last season. Kelechi Iheanacho will lead the line on his own and will look to make threatening runs in behind but it’s unlikey that Leicester will get many chances here. Mourinho will want to make sure that his defence is well protected. I think this will be a tight game, but a United win.

It’s really hard to predict how either side will line-up for this game because so many players are missing due to the short turn around after the World Cup and injuries. I think United will look something like this;

Subs - Grant, Lindelof, Jones, Fellani, Lingard, Martial, Lukaku.

Denis' cuff

Despite all the negativity this pre-season, I'm still so excited for our season to start.
    In the end its watching the team you support, through thick and thin, and looking forward to every minute of it.

Good lad, Sir

Might be a thought for some so called supporters to bear in mind. Unfortunately, it’s the age of the customer. Thank God I experienced supporting my team when it was needed.

SirAF

Ageist
    Mourinho still holds the support from the majority of fans, but it dipped with United’s performances and limp Uefa Champions League elimination to Sevilla in March. Last season started well but faded badly for Mourinho’s men. This one must start well even though Mourinho must do that without his players who reached the latter stages of the World Cup – he wanted every player to have three weeks’ holiday. United finished second in the Premier League last season, 19 points behind Manchester City. I expect a genuine title challenge after five seasons without coming close. I also hope for more entertaining football and a backlash won’t be far away if it doesn’t come. Mourinho has made improvements and deserves that third season in charge, but there will be serious questions asked if United are 19 points behind their noisy neighbours this year.

Getting 90 points should put United in contention to win the title. That is a 9-point improvement on last season, which should be do-able when you consider that United lost too Huddersfield, Newcastle and Brighton the three newly promoted clubs. Obviously, the hope is that City will not be able to stay at ridiculously good level they played at last season which will help United close the gap and allow us to at least put in a genuine title challenge.

United’s first 10 games are relatively gentle and should provide us with the chance to get plenty of points on the board by the time November rolls round. Mourinho has put pressure on the players a bit here because he has created a cloud around the club with his demeanour in pre-season, but behind the scenes the player’s mood is good. Mourinho with the media is totally different to the Mourinho with the players, but it does feel that only a convincing start to the season will remove fans’ worries about a lack of transfer activity and general negative vibe around the club. The time for judgement begins with this game, a game I expect United to win and maybe need to win so negative momentum the manager has helped create does not build.

Leicester’s usual approach is to sit-deep and use their speed to play on the counter-attack so United will probably dominate the majority of possession here. United will have plenty of individual quality on the pitch but under Mourinho we are yet to witness any true understanding between the United attacking players when they have controlled possession. Another problem could be a potential lack of width, Sanchez likes to cut inside from the left and Juan Mata will want to float between the lines from the right so attacking width will have to come from the full-backs. Matteo Darmian will play from the right despite the fact he is still expected to leave in the European transfer window because Valencia and Dalot are both injured. Darmian is more of a defensive full-back rather than a good over lapper so United might lack penetration and end product down the right. On the left Luke Shaw will start despite speculation that Mourinho doesn’t rate him particularly highly. This is a great opportunity for Shaw to finally make the left back position his own. At his best Shaw is dynamic and speedy going forward with tremendous acceleration. He's the type of player who can receive the ball in a defensive position, distribute neatly into midfield, then immediately find offer the option of a return ball on the overlap. He is exactly the sort of player United need at full-back, last season a big problem down the left was the lack of a naturally overlapping left-back. Sanchez's drifts in-field robbed United of width; while Ashley Young has manfully adjusted to the full-back position, he also enjoys cutting inside onto his right foot, making United's attacks somewhat predictable. Shaw naturally overlaps his winger to stretch the play before swinging crosses into the box. The problem is he has never looked truly confident since he broke his leg in 2015. The club want Shaw to be a success, but I feel he probably needs to move to a mid-table club to rebuild his confidence. United is not the place and Mourinho is not the manager to redevelop your confidence, so it will be interesting to see how Shaw does in the opening few weeks while Ashley Young builds up his fitness. I would not be surprised to see United struggle to create good chances to score here and it may take a moment of individual quality or catching Leicester out on the counter-attack to break the deadlock. Sanchez is the man most likely to produce something, he enjoyed a summer break after continually playing in tournaments with Chile in previous summers. He has looked very sharp in pre-season.

Vardy’s absence for Leicester and Mahrez’s sale to Man City robs Leicester of most of their attacking threat. Those two were responsible for around 50% of Leicester’s goals last season. Kelechi Iheanacho will lead the line on his own and will look to make threatening runs in behind but it’s unlikey that Leicester will get many chances here. Mourinho will want to make sure that his defence is well protected. I think this will be a tight game, but a United win.

It’s really hard to predict how either side will line-up for this game because so many players are missing due to the short turn around after the World Cup and injuries. I think United will look something like this;

Herrera is out, I think.

EyeInTheSky

Is there any way you can change that graphic as to have Darmians' arrow go 90 degrees to the right?

Also, who is the mystery man up front?

MrSingh2002

Sanchez Mata
    Fred
    Pereira McTominay
    Shaw Darmian
    Lindelof Smalling Bailly
    De Gea​

Subs
    Grant
    Jones
    Young
    Pogba
    Lingard
    Rashford
    Martial
    Lukaku

Strong as feck bench with the fittest starting 11 available.

RedorDead21

Guys I'm deciding how I'm going to watch United games this season. So annoying with the split between Sky and BT. What do most of you pump for?

ice-bionic red

Can somebody post me the link where it shows all the broadcasting channels for the game tonight? It’s usually posted on the first page? Maybe NBCS are showing it? Anything but listening to those wankers at sky

Thanks

Champ

Refuses to acknowledge existence of Ukraine
    I am looking forward to the lads getting off to a good start, hopefully stop the negative vibes that have been hanging around recently,

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
    Scout
    Excited to be going to OT tonight - feeling quite positive we'll win.

Mata likes a goal against Leicester, so he'll probably get one along with Sanchez and one other (Pereira?

the hea

With Herrera out injured I'm expecting a 3 back formation tonight.

DDG

Bailly Smalling Lindelöf

Darmian ....Fred Pereira ....Shaw

Mata Sanchez

Rashford​

Riz

Guys I'm deciding how I'm going to watch United games this season. So annoying with the split between Sky and BT. What do most of you pump for?
    I definitely don’t stream all our matches online for free which not only saves lots of money but actually means one could watch the games that aren’t broadcast on Sky or BT. Illegal and immoral though so I don’t do that.

Alabaster Codify7

I'm traveling in the Caucasus right now,Georgia at the moment,in the middle of nowhere so to speak. was off the radar for a few days so only saw the transfer window fiasco today and doesn't look like we have some major names available. The starting 11's being posted are frankly depressing. I can't believe the summer window has gone yet Darmian and Shaw are likely to be our full backs.....disgraceful.

Before my holiday I felt we'd win 2-1, now I'm going for a dour,reality hitting like a MFer 0-0.

mitchmouse

loves to hate United.
    Nervous as hell. Should win easily but everything seems so unsettled at the club at the moment... I mean being outspent by Wolves and fulham is unheard of, plus Jose's mood, plus the injuries and unavailibilities

peridigm

Nervous as hell. Should win easily but everything seems so unsettled at the club at the moment... I mean being outspent by Wolves and fulham is unheard of, plus Jose's mood, plus the injuries and unavailibilities
    Nothing to be nervous about. It's not a contest to see who spends the most money, it's a contest to see who wins the most points. Pretty sure our squad is still better than the likes of Wolves, Fulham and Everton.

It's obviously going to be a couple of difficult weeks due to so many players not being fit/injured but they will be back one by one with each week. Then we have the international break. Can't the club refuse to release players for friendlies? If we can, we should. We should be close to 100% fit after the break barring the players who had surgery or long term injuries which I don't think we have any.

I'm more nervous about the lineup guessing game. This is the year I take danistelrooy down. :devil:

Random Task

WW Lynchpin
    With all the uncertainty surrounding the club right now, a win in our opening game of the campaign will go along way to easing the tension.

Come on United!

SirAnderson

With Herrera out injured I'm expecting a 3 back formation tonight.

DDG

Bailly Smalling Lindelöf

Darmian ....Fred Pereira ....Shaw

Mata Sanchez

Rashford​
    mmh. Actually never thought of this. Jose did try it out during pre-season.
    But I think being at home it may be a bit too defensive for most.
    Should be more attacking.

Random Task

WW Lynchpin
    That's very interesting, who the heck is going to play RB. Jones? :nervous::eek:
    I'm wondering if we're going to set up in a 3-5-2 system, negating the need for a right back in the process.

Not entirely sure on the starting 11 given the state of the squad in terms of fitness/readiness but, and I'm going out on a limb here, I reckon DDG will start in goal. The outfield players are a mystery at this point.

SirAnderson

I'm wondering if we're going to set up in a 3-5-2 system, negating the need for a right back in the process.

Not entirely sure on the starting 11 given the state of the squad in terms of fitness/readiness but, and I'm going out on a limb here, I reckon DDG will start in goal. The outfield players are a mystery at this point.
    Someone else said that, but comes across way to defensive, but hearing some of the match build up talk, but Leicester are going to try dominate the ball rather than play counter attack, I can see the need to bolster midfield.

PS: Everytime I see your name I picture you as the Raymond Tusk from House of Cards. :)

sunama

Baghdad Bob
    all i hope for in this game is that the 11 on the pitch just go out there and torch leicester. What is the best way to turn the media narrative around? 3/4/5 goal win on opening day. Just balls to the wall attack and get OT rocking. Players have things to prove, spots to win and spots to retain. They need to be rocking for the first second of kick off.

Put the transfer BS behind and smack leicester. Come on UNITED!! :devil::devil:
    Mate, I would love that to happen, but sadly, I just don't see it.
    In pre-season (albeit with many first teamers missing), we were garbage. We got hammered by Liverpool's reserves in the 2nd half of our pre-season match.
    And let's not forget how we ended last year. We scored 3 goals in our last 4 matches. This trend continued into pre-season and I predict that it will continue into the season.
    My score prediction* is 0-0, 1-0 or 1-1.

Unfortunately we do not have a team (players/tactics) to score so many goals.

*I would love it if I were wrong.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
Post-match discussion

Man of the Match

Paul Pogba image Paul Pogba 42% of 1017 votes

Runners-up

Player Ratings

6.2 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 733 ratings.