Greenwood - Martial - Rashford

Against Sheffield United:

............... De Gea

Bissaka - Bailly - Maguire - Shaw

........... Pogba - Matic

............ Fernandes

Mata - Cavani - Rashford

Coops73

The one thing I’m not looking forward to about this game is that it’s on the BBC.

They’ll probably have Martin ‘cro magnon’ Keown commentating and there’ll be Shearer and Wright having a wank over every Liverpool touch, it wouldn’t surprise me if they wheeled out Hanson for old times sake.

RonaldoVII

Surely we have to win this. Scousers looking awful at the minute and they have to make changes for this. Last thing Klopp will want is an FA Cup run when their league position is so fragile.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
    Would be glorious to compound the misery. But we shouldn't fool ourselves, they're still a top team and dangerous for a rebound.

TrustInOle

I hope we smash them this time, they are nothing to be afraid off. Cavani will have a laugh at this defence.

PoTMS

Feck it, go for the jugular. If we lose, meh, it's only the FA Cup and we'll get over it. If we win, however, it's a massive psychological blow to Liverpool and gives us the confidence to push on in the title race.

makes new threads with tweets in the OP
    Dear Jesus, I know I am not exactly the best at doing the Christian thing. However, I would be very, very grateful if you can give Man Utd victory over Liverpool on Sunday by a last minute dodgy penalty. Please. Just for the meltdown.

Berbasbullet

Too Boring For A Funny Tagline
    They can’t score for love or money, let’s keep it that way! Put out a strong side and rest one or two.

Matt851

Agreed. I honestly wouldn't mind if we played a full second string and got hammered - you can see from our most recent games the first XI is really on the cusp of fatigue, we've scraped wins over the packed festive period against average teams by 1 goal in pretty much every game. Need to avoid EL and FA cup games to have any chance of being in the fight come May.
    Yes i really hope we rest players

Would love to see dvb play alongside matic. I woild play james, greenwood and martial up top in the hope they can play themselves into form

groovyalbert

it's a mute point
    Fully expect them to bounce back v us, and not playing in the league may help them.

If I had to choose a win in one of our games v Liverpool or Sheffield Utd, I'd take the L in this one all day long.

Matt851

We will see a similar team to the fulham game, no way ole doesnt prioritise this game. Its silverware and we would remove one big contender. Im guessing fred and mct with pogba bruno rash and cavani up top. Lindelöf and maguire with shaw and awb. Henderson in goal.

If we would put a reserve team and lose 5-0 people would go mental here. We need a win against Liverpool.
    I very much doubt liverpool could manage 5 agaibst our reserves at the moment

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
    Considering he played a full strength team against the Villa under 23's I highly doubt he is going to rest anyone for this.
    he didn't play a full strength team, it was stronger that many would of expected but it was far from full strength

USREDEVIL

Liverpool's loss only creates more excitement for the League. I'd put our a semi-starting squad and rest Bruno and Shaw:

Rashford Caveman Greenwood
    VDB
    Pogba McTominay
    Fred
    Telles Maguire Lindelof AWB
    Henderson ( :houllier: )

MetoTTT

I'm half arsed of the FA Cup this season but it'll be so sweet to beat them and dont give them confidence before their game vs Spurs.

Lee565

Rest a lot of the team and focus on the premier league as this may be our best chance in the next few years to win it.

----------------henderson
    Williams-tuanzebe-lindelof-telles
    -----------mctominay-matic
    ------mata-------vdb--------james
    ------------------rashford

Chicharo

Zero chance Ole will rest Bruno for this one. I expect McT or Matic (or possibly both) to start, plus Telles instead of Shaw and maybe Henderson. Apart from that no big changes

Wheato

If VDB doesn't get a game, then he must've knobbed Ole's wife or burned the Norway flag while shouting "Hurdy-gurdy-hurdy-gurdy."

The Brown Bull

It's Coming Home.
    They are down after their recent poor form.
    You don't kick someone when they're down.
    Unless they are Scouse!

dave1956

Put out our best 11, Klopp has a managerial problem for this game, does he put out his strongest team with the hope that he progresses on a cup run to the final or does he retain his best players for the Spurs and West Ham games. Defeat in these games could drop him to around 8th depending on other results.
    Watching the Burnley game and looking at previous results together since Christmas I believe that the team have burnt out both mentally and physically.
    He had similar results with Dortmund 2 seasons of exceptional high intensity and successful football and then a collapse which he could not turn round.
    I really think we should go for it, fast attacking football, make them run all over the pitch, tire them out and expose those weaknesses both in attack and defence. This is not the time to be cautious, exploit both the teams and managers weaknesses, destroy them.

sglowrider

Thinks the caf is 'wokeish'.
    Play the kids. FA Cups are meaningless with the fans. In view of the Covid seasons, we will need as much $$ as possible to enable Ole to further develop his medium to long term plans.

So go where the money is -- League and the Europa to ensure we get into the CL next season.

Just need to look at Arsenal -- perennial winners of the FA Cups but are too skint to get players of decent quality. Only Chelsea's Dad's Army. And maybe stuck in a mid-table position/cycle for the foreseeable future.

Paul_Scholes18

Go best team 100%. We can knock them out and that would feel great.

Then rotate a bit vs Sheffield. Bruno can play all games I think and Pogba can play too.

Freak

Born a freak always a freak.
    ———————-———DDG————————————
    ———Lindelof——Maguire——Tuanzebe———
    Williams———McT———Matic————Telles
    ———————————VDB———————————-
    —————-Rashford———Martial——————-

Or if 4231

———————————DDG———————————
    Tuanzebe——Lindelof——Maguire——Telles
    —————————McT———Matic——————-
    ————————————VDB—————————-
    Greenwood————Martial————Rashford

Last edited:

Wing Attack Plan R

I desperately want United to be champions again. I want Liverpool to watch our title count grow. To that end, I don't think we have the resources to win both the league and the Cup. I'd prioritize the league.

I would bet that Ole hates Liverpool enough that he will field our strongest XI, and when we get to the 3/4 mark of the season hopefully we have some players who can still run.

Galactic

Incorrigible pest
    Please rotate!

———————-Handerson—————
    Williams Lindelof Tuanzebe Telles
    ———————-Matic McT——————
    ——Lingard——Donny——Pogba——
    ————-————-Cavani———————

Diallo coming in on the hour mark.

We’ll probably lose by 2 or 3 goals but I don’t care. What’s more important is giving the first teamers (except for Pogba) some much needed rest.

jackal&hyde

We have 6 games before the league game right? We should play the best team providing they are fit and not tired.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
    Please rotate!

———————-Handerson—————
    Williams Lindelof Tuanzebe Telles
    ———————-Matic McT——————
    ——Lingard——Donny——Pogba——
    ————-————-Cavani———————

Diallo coming in on the hour mark.

We’ll probably lose by 2 or 3 goals but I don’t care. What’s more important is giving the first teamers (except for Pogba) some much needed rest.
    :eek: We can rest 2/3 players and still be competitive. We're at home and Liverpool have been average recently, they won't be feeling the same attitude as you.

Havak

Pokemon master
    Liverpool look awful at the moment and can't score, but I don't imagine they will necessarily be resting players against us.

Salah & Firmino didn't start last night, I can't imagine they don't start on Sunday. If Henderson is fit, he'll come back into midfield as well.

If they put some players on the bench, I'd wager it would be Trent & Mane. Probably Milner to start and maybe Minamino?

Alisson
    Milner Matip Fabinho Robertson
    Henderson Thiago
    Salah Minamino Origi
    Firmino​

Maybe Mane will still start though actually... It'll be strong sides from both teams.

Jonno

They're there for the taking.

Klopp is lost, doesn't know what teams to pick at the moment

I hope we go strong with 1-2 rotations and smash them and make a statement. I understand if he does rest Bruno/Pogba, but I hope we don't.

Henderson

AWB Maguire Lindelof Shaw

VDB Fred

Pogba Bruno Rashford

Cavani​

Jaap

Just can’t see Liverpool not win a third game in a row.

Think Ole will go with this;

De Gea
    AWB Maguire Bailly Shaw
    Fred Matić
    Pogba Fernandes
    Cavani Rashford

Poborsky's hair

Supports
    Bohemians 1905
    Don’t care about this game really,just want to win the Sheffield Utd game
    I dont understand a post like this. How would anyone being United fan wouldnt care about a Liverpool game? It´s a cup game and we should do our best to bring home a trophy we didnt win in years and knocout our biggest rival to lose their confidence even more. They deserve to be smacked.

If this was the end of the season and we were close to winning the leaguemaybe Id argue It be wise to rotate more but we should really go full strength. Season is long and city may go for some stupid run and walk it and we will regret it. But I am sure Ole knows what to do. Sheffield the next game is the worst team in the league we can rotate 3/4 players and still comfortaby win it.

Berbasbullet

Too Boring For A Funny Tagline
    I dont understand a post like this. How would anyone being United fan wouldnt care about a Liverpool game? It´s a cup game and we should do our best to bring home a trophy we didnt win in years and knocout our biggest rival to lose their confidence even more. They deserve to be smacked.

If this was the end of the season and we were close to winning the leaguemaybe Id argue It be wise to rotate more but we should really go full strength. Season is long and city may go for some stupid run and walk it and we will regret it. But I am sure Ole knows what to do. Sheffield the next game is the worst team in the league we can rotate 3/4 players and still comfortaby win it.
    Bang on, I want United to smash Liverpool, rest a few but not wholesale changes.

We should beat them, but make one or two changes, maybe rest Shaw and Pogba, but let’s win this game!

Sassy Colin

Death or the gladioli!
    Aliens are in control of my tagline & location
    Part of me says we should concentrate our efforts on the PL & EL. In the FA Cup, we are, inevitably going to come up against City again, and I couldn't stand another disappointment against those cnuts. Buuuuuut, its the Scouse, so let's smash 'em! :devil:

TMDaines

Fun sponge.
    ITT: people wanting us lay down to give Liverpool a win at Old Trafford, so we have an easier schedule to focus on finishing second in the league behind City.

TMDaines

Fun sponge.

Threads like this are great for populating your ignore list and making the Caf a better place.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
Post-match discussion

Man of the Match

Marcus Rashford image Marcus Rashford 48% of 403 votes

Runners-up

Player Ratings

6.7 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 389 ratings.

Score Predictions