Kick-off
Sat, 11 November 2023 @ 3:00pm GMT
Status

Closed

Discussion Your Lineup Prediction

• Status
    Not open for further replies.

Nogbadthebad

Rashford hasn't been in any sort of form.

But his game has been playing on the shoulder, getting in behind. We stopped playing those balls into space this season. He has to take much of the blame, a lot of his problems are basic control and passing, but for some reason ten hag has set the team up to ensure we don;t make the best of our most productive player over the last year or so as well.

Zed is not dead

Arsenal have played more or less the same half against Burnley as us against Luton. Difference is they actually managed to score (during extra-time mind you) but their play is not more entertaining than ours.

When you’re playing a team that parks the bus it’s hard to have a nice game

Josh 76

I think if Utd get the first goal, that could give them the advantage they need to win the game. So long as they don't concede more at the other end.
    I think if Utd get the first goal and don't concede, they will win.

DavelinaJolie

Listen, we're creating chances today and look like scoring. Yes, people will say we're playing Luton, but previously, where we've played teams we should be bossing and creating chances against, we havent.

We now need to take one of these chances, as Luton proved last week and at times today, that they can be dangerous on the counter.
    Agreed. It's frustrating that they had two great opportunities and couldn't score, but there's opportunities coming from the wings. Nothing is going to come from forcing inside here, need to keep pulling them about to create space.

Redstain

Am I the only one who finds Dalot's position odd ? Why is he being forced into CM ?
    Eriksen as the deeper 6 is danger territory given his mobility the fullbacks playing inside the wide players positionally covers the space if the ball is overturned. The issue is it's not being done effectively enough.

AndySmith1990

As usual, the reffing is a joke, the stamp on Garnacho should have been a yellow, and the pull on Maguire in the box should have been a penalty - it was given against Maguire himself earlier in the season! More than the coaching on the pitch, ETH's most crucial objective right now has to be to make no-holds barred statements against the make-United-a-punchbag view that the refs have had this season - I would love to see him fined for calling out that the refs are making a point to gain spotlight by giving decisions against United game after game - call out specific names and incidents. I want the club to release a public statement about it and start a campaign with ex-players to bring attention to it, too. Take the fines - it's worth it, because these decisions stack up over a season, and could be the difference between 4th and 6th.

Genuinely not worried about the football - we're doing well, and could have been 3-0 up if we were slightly better at finishing or not going through our worst spell of no-confidence in the ETH era.
    Even Mourinho would cringe at this

Stobzilla

Official Team Perv
    As usual, the reffing is a joke, the stamp on Garnacho should have been a yellow, and the pull on Maguire in the box should have been a penalty - it was given against Maguire himself earlier in the season! More than the coaching on the pitch, ETH's most crucial objective right now has to be to make no-holds barred statements against the make-United-a-punchbag view that the refs have had this season - I would love to see him fined for calling out that the refs are making a point to gain spotlight by giving decisions against United game after game - call out specific names and incidents. I want the club to release a public statement about it and start a campaign with ex-players to bring attention to it, too. Take the fines - it's worth it, because these decisions stack up over a season, and could be the difference between 4th and 6th.
    Thought I was on RAWK circa 2009 reading through that.

ShinjiNinja26

Yet another absolute slog of a game, a weekly occurrence for us now. I can only think of the cup game against Palace and 30 mins against Copenhagen where we’ve actually played some decent football on the front foot with a bit of energy. Other than that it’s been dire. If we can’t beat Luton at home then we should just pack it in.

FreakyJim

90% of teams play better football than us
    This is a depressing watch. Same old shit when Maguire and Lindelof are in defence. They take half a minute just to progress the ball.

No one’s making himself available between the lines, no one takes players on, no runs.

fecking hate these players so much

the_cliff

Rashford hasn't been in any sort of form.

But his game has been playing on the shoulder, getting in behind. We stopped playing those balls into space this season. He has to take much of the blame, a lot of his problems are basic control and passing, but for some reason ten hag has set the team up to ensure we don;t make the best of our most productive player over the last year or so as well.
    Disagree completely, he's had plenty of chances in dangerous situations. He can't shoot anymore and can't beat a man anymore, his form has completely fallen of a cliff.

Kinky Melinky

With Antony, that hope doesn't exist in the first place. He's an absolute atrocity of a footballer. Completely hopeless
    A bit harsh. No denying he's awful right now, but he's clearly a confidence player. When he's on form it's clear he's really decent.

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
    Eriksen as the deeper 6 is danger territory given his mobility the fullbacks playing inside the wide players positionally covers the space if the ball is overturned. The issue is it's not being done effectively enough.
    Could be the reason. It's way too much to accomodate such an average player

Strelok

Genuinely not worried about the football - we're doing well, and could have been 3-0 up if we were slightly better at finishing or not going through our worst spell of no-confidence in the ETH era.
    Totally agree. I'd love to see that too. Feck FA we've had enough of this shit.

santeria13

Sublemon

It's crazy to me that people are still blaming referees after countless horrendous performances this season. We've become the new RAWK in that regard. It's everyone elses fault except for the players/manager.

If this is what 'doing well' looks like, we're going nowhere anytime soon.

sglowrider

Thinks the caf is 'wokeish'.
    I was just thinking back to when we had prime Rooney, Ronaldo and Tevez as our front three and every time we crossed the halfway line it looked like we'd score.

How our standards have dropped
    Counter-attacking football at its best

Ludens the Red

I don’t see the point of McTominay in games like this. Just hides from the ball when you need players to be showing for it. Can’t play between the lines either. Get him close to Hoijund if you want him to be effective in such a game.
    The fact he’s now undroppable sums up ten Hag. Tried to get rid of him in the summer, scores two goals against Brentford in a game we just lumped balls into the box and now he’s the first name on the team sheet.

RuudTom83

Move Rashford inside (replacing McTom) and get Pellestri on the RW.

Score 2 goals and move the feck on. This is a tedious watch so far.

Cathy Ferguson

Höjlund is a talent. But not a 72m player. If you spend that money you would expect a finished article or a super talent.

LDUred

Not much difference in severity between the Garnacho stamp and the Rashford sending off.

The Hilton

I gave you a wholeass explanation on why I thought it was the best chance so far and you come back with this?

Maybe discussion is not for you.
    :lol:

I know you think the condescending attitude makes you sound smarter, but it just undermines your point as you're incapable of "discussion" without it.

As your your explanation, the logic is obviously faulty. The strength of the header doesn't make the chance better, it just means the striker made more of a low quality chance. By your logic any shot from miles away that forces a good save out of the keeper is better than a scuffed shot from point blank range.

MonkeysMagic

Most other (competent) PL teams are taking at least 2 of those chances and winning 2-0 at HT. There really isn't any area of the pitch we excel at, the turgidness follows us however is in charge and no doubt will the next incumbent.

Nogbadthebad

We aren't doing well. Its luton.

They would be struggling to maintain a playoff spot in the championship right now, and we are at home. Its been utterly rubbish from us.

Thiagoal

I don’t see the point of McTominay in games like this. Just hides from the ball when you need players to be showing for it. Can’t play between the lines either. Get him close to Hoijund if you want him to be effective in such a game.
    The fact he’s now undroppable sums up ten Hag. Tried to get rid of him in the summer, scores two goals against Brentford in a game we just lumped balls into the box and now he’s the first name on the team sheet.
    I thought he’s been one of our better players and showing for passes quite a lot

Redstain

It's crazy to me that people are still blaming referees after countless horrendous performances this season. If this is what 'doing well' looks like, I don't know what to say.
    The bar is significantly low this season, even myself hoping the team would carry momentum of the first half against Copenhagen into this current game. December is going to be an absolute disaster, tougher opposition and the worst part many of the fixtures are away from home.

Superunknown

I was just thinking back to when we had prime Rooney, Ronaldo and Tevez as our front three and every time we crossed the halfway line it looked like we'd score.

How our standards have dropped
    Those were three players who were absolutely desperate to score and, if they couldn't score, would want to set each other up to do so.

Our lot are very individualistic, like the goals only seem to count if they're the ones to do so. They also don't seem to have that 'score or die trying' mentality that those 3 have. The front three are all comfortably at least two levels below those front three.

Gandalf Greyhame

If in doubt, follow your nose!
    Scout
    Do any of us here think there's something to build on for the future? Just a little improvement here and there from some players, as well as some replacements, and we could be a really good side.
    I don't about the really good - but we're definitely not as bad as the narrative would have you believe. I don't think people truly account for the fact that we have no proven goalscorers in the side bar an out-of-form Rashford.

Thought I was on RAWK circa 2009 reading through that.
    Well, you don't have to go back as far as 2009. Klopp, Pep and now Arteta (with Arsenal's backing) are calling out refs and reaping rewards.

FerociousCorgis

Exactly. And then we create feck all in midfield and wonder why

the_cliff

Most other (competent) PL teams are taking at least 2 of those chances and winning 2-0 at HT. There really isn't any area of the pitch we excel at, the turgidness follows us however is in charge and no doubt will the next incumbent.
    Most other competent PL teams create more than 2 good chances in a half against the worst team in the league.

If we can't score more than one against this Luton team it's going to be another season of negative goal difference.

Bobski

I thought he’s been one of our better players and we showing for passes quite a lot
    Had more touches in 5 mins playing deeper at the end of the half than he did in the other 40, it is a bad system and he is not ideally suited to finding space in tight areas.

Siorac

Surely ball retention/possession is over-rated.

Might be saying something controversial but goals win games. Not ball possession.
    The two aren't mutually exclusive, it's not an either/or thing. Giving up the ball doesn't make you more likely to score.

Rojofiam

Höjlund is a talent. But not a 72m player. If you spend that money you would expect a finished article or a super talent.
    I don't agree, because any half-decent striker has gone for an astronimical fee in these last 1-2 years.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
Post-match discussion

Player Ratings

5.5 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 190 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • Luton Town win
  • Draw