Manchester United vs. Norwich City

Status
Not open for further replies.

Infra-red

Nothing has been officially leaked, but if Mata doesn't play then obviously someone did hear something.

Either way I suppose we will find out soon enough.
I believe it was Ian Ladyman of the Daily Mail (who seems to have been very close with goings on at United during this period) who was reporting that Mata is set to be dropped; Giggs apparently "thinks he's been poor."

Mark Ogden also repeated the claim in today's telegraph "Mata the fall guy". Generally the media seem to be saying 4-4-2 with traditional pacey wingers attacking down the flanks, and central midfielders with licence to get forward, which I suppose would be backed-up Giggs' own comments yesterday about his philosophy being synonymous with Manchester United's philosophy.

Sally Cinnamon

Why's that?
Giggs will play a 442. Van persie is presumably still injured, so it'll be Rooney and Welbeck upfront, they will be a threat into feet and in behind. Valencia is nailed on IMO, have you heard scholes talking about him from the city match? Januzaj will be back into the starting 11, he hasn't started in ages. Midfield picks itself for me then. I doubt Fellaini will play.

Scarlett Dracarys

( . Y . )
ThIs is like waiting for Christmas morning. It's a lot on Giggs but I'm sure he is quite capable. He definitely has the respect of all the players and that might give them that extra drive. OT will erupt tonight !

Twisted with Power

from the fiery depths of...a Smarties packet?
Giggs will play a 442. Van persie is presumably still injured, so it'll be Rooney and Welbeck upfront, they will be a threat into feet and in behind. Valencia is nailed on IMO, have you heard scholes talking about him from the city match? Januzaj will be back into the starting 11, he hasn't started in ages. Midfield picks itself for me then. I doubt Fellaini will play.
That's fair enough

Reason im not sure is that I think there are certain things i see Giggs liking:-

Mata + Kagawa linkup. It's the sort of creative flair I see Giggsy liking.

Rooney + Hernandez (Javier stretches oppo's better than anyone else we've got. Hence his constant offside issues. But because off his off the ball in behind runs, he pulls the oppo defence deep allowing space for a no:10 (or Rooney in this case) to be best effective. I think complement each others game/skillset.

Valencia. Not a fan myself but I agree with your point.

Januzaj:- Again I agree with your point. Hasn't played enough recently and must be raring to go.

It's just my personal opinion/thoughts and I know he can't play them all which is why I personally haven't got a clue which team he will pick.

Whatever happens hope we play well against Norwich, smash 3-4 past them, start a fresh and go on to shut up the Utd doom mongering pundits. :keano:

Sally Cinnamon

That's fair enough

Reason im not sure is that I think there are certain things i see Giggs liking:-

Mata + Kagawa linkup. It's the sort of creative flair I see Giggsy liking.

Rooney + Hernandez (Javier stretches oppo's better than anyone else we've got. Hence his constant offside issues. But because off his off the ball in behind runs, he pulls the oppo defence deep allowing space for a no:10 (or Rooney in this case) to be best effective. I think complement each others game/skillset.

Valencia. Not a fan myself but I agree with your point.

Januzaj:- Again I agree with your point. Hasn't played enough recently and must be raring to go.

It's just my personal opinion/thoughts and I know he can't play them all which is why I personally haven't got a clue which team he will pick.

Whatever happens hope we play well against Norwich, smash 3-4 past them, start a fresh and go on to shut up the Utd doom mongering pundits. :keano:
Don't disagree with anything you've said there and believe me if mata & Shinji were on playing together again I'd be buzzing.

Tbh Norwich are a poor side and whatever side we put out should beat them, it's the mindset and positive tactics that are the most important thing, they're all good players.

That team I predicted is just what I think giggs will go with. Rumours that mata won't be playing too.

O'Sheady

I believe it was Ian Ladyman of the Daily Mail (who seems to have been very close with goings on at United during this period) who was reporting that Mata is set to be dropped; Giggs apparently "thinks he's been poor."

Mark Ogden also repeated the claim in today's telegraph "Mata the fall guy". Generally the media seem to be saying 4-4-2 with traditional pacey wingers attacking down the flanks, and central midfielders with licence to get forward, which I suppose would be backed-up Giggs' own comments yesterday about his philosophy being synonymous with Manchester United's philosophy.
I find it hard to believe that at a time when he is looking for the squad to pull together that Giggs would be briefing against one of the more senior squad members, it defies logic. I suppose we will see later on if there is anything in it. Hope not.

Infra-red

I find it hard to believe that at a time when he is looking for the squad to pull together that Giggs would be briefing against one of the more senior squad members, it defies logic. I suppose we will see later on if there is anything in it. Hope not.
Somebody's personal view being leaked does not always mean said person was actively briefing that view, but as you say, we'll find out soon enough. Incidentally, David McDonnell from the Mirror, who famously accurately predicted a lot of our lineups earlier in the season, believes Mata will start, along with Rio, Vidic, Evra, Carrick and Fletcher, in a side based around experience.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/manchester-united-ryan-giggs-rely-3459081

O'Sheady

Somebody's personal view being leaked does not always mean said person was actively briefing that view, but as you say, we'll find out soon enough. Incidentally, David McDonnell from the Mirror, who famously accurately predicted a lot of our lineups earlier in the season, believes Mata will start, along with Rio, Vidic, Evra, Carrick and Fletcher, in a side based around experience.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/manchester-united-ryan-giggs-rely-3459081
Well yeah briefing maybe not the right phrase but Giggs grew up in the Ferguson dressing room that was pretty much airtight before matchdays and I would hope that he would get back to that. I would be dissappointed if journalists had anything concrete to go on on his first matchday.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist

Yeah I can see Valencia and januzaj flanking mata, behind Rooney, and then the rest that you said, with jones at right back. Would be a nicely balanced team IMO. He biggest problem has been the tactics and tempo of play anyways, rather then team selections.

Infra-red

Yeah I can see Valencia and januzaj flanking mata, behind Rooney, and then the rest that you said, with jones at right back. Would be a nicely balanced team IMO. He biggest problem has been the tactics and tempo of play anyways, rather then team selections.
Yes agreed. The problem was Moyes' system, rather than the personnel, in the majority of cases.

Ole's_toe_poke

Ole_Aged_Slow_Poke

That'd be a disappointing lineup.

Vidic and Rio have no future at this club. What's the point of playing them in these meaningless games.

Van Piorsing

Lost his light sabre
That'd be a disappointing lineup.

Vidic and Rio have no future at this club. What's the point of playing them in these meaningless games.
Proper goodbye for our legend and captain, Nemanja Vidic who was disgustingly send to Inter for free by the Scottish scumbag.

At least we can do this for him now and show some appreciation because he filled perfectly the gap after Stam's departure.

charleysurf

Obnoxious, abusive bellend who is best ignored
Proper goodbye for our legend and captain, Nemanja Vidic who was disgustingly send to Inter for free by the Scottish scumbag.

At least we can do this for him now and show some appreciation because he filled perfectly the gap after Stam's departure.
Hoping this is a WUM...

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
I want to see four good performances at the end of the season, not for testimonial games. He has to realise sentimentality can't keep coming into it.

Walters_19_MuFc

To be honest, we've done well against the so called lesser sides in the second half of the season, so it'll be no surprise if we thrash them today.

Devil may care

I definitely see Welbeck and Valencia starting with all this talk about pace, I just hope one of Kagawa or Mata start behind Rooney.

OnlyTwoDaSilvas

Gullible
Is it just me or does this have a bit of a sort of cup final build up atmosphere?

I'm genuinely really excited for this game. :keano:
I feel the same. I'm too excited. I'm so annoyed it's a late kick off. All I'm doing today is just sat around, waiting for the United game.

I was only marginally more excited for the Bayern games than I am now. It feels like a huge occasion. I really hope the atmosphere is absolutely bouncing. Real Madrid 2nd leg from last season levels of bouncing.

Giggs in the technical area is a surreal thought. I really hope it goes well for him. I'd love him to win all 4 games convincingly with some great attacking football.

Walters_19_MuFc

I definitely see Welbeck and Valencia starting with all this talk about pace, I just hope one of Kagawa or Mata start behind Rooney.
Ye. If you look at arguably one of our best performances this season, which to be fair, has been few and far between, it come with Nani and Valencia (pace and flair) on the wings, with Kagawa (creativity) down the middle against Bayern Leverkusen when we beat them 5-0 at their place.

Tomuś

Nani is crap, I tell you!
Ye. If you look at arguably one of our best performances this season, which to be fair, has been few and far between, it come with Nani and Valencia (pace and flair) on the wings, with Kagawa (creativity) down the middle against Bayern Leverkusen when we beat them 5-0 at their place.
This. Or Leverkusen at home. Or Aston Villa away as well, where Valencia with Rafael clicked nicely. Actually all of our best performances this season were the ones with Valencia on the right (ironically).

Devil may care

I think the most interesting thing is going to be who Giggs picks to partner Carrick in midfield, I could see a return for Cleverley.

Walters_19_MuFc

This. Or Leverkusen at home. Or Aston Villa away as well, where Valencia with Rafael clicked nicely. Actually all of our best performances this season were the ones with Valencia on the right (ironically).
Ye true. I suppose he stretches the play for us, which ultimately gives the likes of Mata, Kagawa, etc, more room to play within.

Walters_19_MuFc

I think the most interesting thing is going to be who Giggs picks to partner Carrick in midfield, I could see a return for Cleverley.
I hope so. Cleverley, while nothing special, in terms of playing an eye of a needle pass for us, will always keep the play ticking over for us. Our play has been too pedestrian, at times this season. I feel Cleverley could inject a bit more urgency into our play.

Tibs

DDG

Valencia
??
??
Buttner

Carrick
Fellaini

Nani
Mata
Kagawa

Rooney

Rooney is going to be told he must stay forward. Nani to stay out wide right or left

Status
Not open for further replies.