Manchester United vs Olympique Lyonnais (Wed 19th July, 14:00 UK time)

Chairman Steve

Who the feck even went to this game considering the date, time and place? A bunch of NEETs from Edinburgh? Last week of school trip for kids? All in a big feckoff stadium in Murrayfield too.

Borninthe80ts

Some things I saw in the first half. We have a lot of fluidity in our attack and just missing that composure with finishing. We really need a back to goal striker to vary our play though.

I thought that Ten would play Mainoo as a number 8 but seems to really like his composure deep. He was initiating our play from deep and splitting our centre backs. Never seemed rushed or fazed.

As was mentioned, Alvaro has made progress but definitely needs a season of first team football. Loan I would suggest.

Know it’s early to say but I hope we are looking at another centre back in this window. I’d like to save Varane for the big games. Can see a long season taking it toll.

wolvored

Gore had a good game. He was pick of the players in the 2nd half. Good volley by VDB

yamo123x

Bit of a meh game.

Surreal seeing evans in the shirt again.

Mainoo and Gore the pick of the group.
I also hope we keep Hannibal, he is petulant at times but he has some fire in his belly and could develop into a top player over time.

Chairman Steve

What is this NEET?
Its an acronym for someone who is ‘Not in Education, Employment, or Training’

aka someone who has a lot of time on their hands and would have the ability to go see a football match on a weekday mid-afternoon :p

Hernandez - BFA

The Way to Fly
Doesn't look like he has a Performance Thread for this season yet - but any reason why Pellestri wouldn't be in squad today? Seen videos of him in training.
I can't recall whether he's a late arrival like Bruno, Rashford, Eriksen etc

trevor newnham

Supports
Vigo RFC, Charlton
I believe he is still out with his old injury. Might be wrong though. In any case, he isn't available.
On MUTV they had Martial at centre back . I thought WTF? But it was a printing error for Martinez

Doesn't look like he has a Performance Thread for this season yet - but any reason why Pellestri wouldn't be in squad today? Seen videos of him in training.
I can't recall whether he's a late arrival like Bruno, Rashford, Eriksen etc
He was a late arrival. He was on international duty.

SAFMUTD

I dont see it with Hanibbal, I know he's highly rated but he's never impressed me when I see him playing senior football.

Jezpeza

Gore had a good game. He was pick of the players in the 2nd half. Good volley by VDB
I think him and Mainoo have both been excellent in both the games I watched this pre season. Hope to see them in the first team squad this season but then again Iqbal and Savage looked good last year but werent really included

Reiver

Who the feck even went to this game considering the date, time and place? A bunch of NEETs from Edinburgh? Last week of school trip for kids? All in a big feckoff stadium in Murrayfield too.
Scottish school holidays are into their third week. All the English around me must have made up the NEET contingent.

Valencia Shin Crosses

Yup if he was bought for £17m there wouldn't be this misplaced hope that he'll be top class.

He doesn't strike me as a player struggling to come into his own, this is just what he is. An average winger with the ability to hit the odd curler into the top corner.
Yeah which is why I'm always confused as to why people cope post with "he's got huge potential he's just a bit raw". I honestly think someone like Demarai Gray has more raw talent than Antony.

And yet people think Amad should go on loan to some shit bottom table side to get more minutes when he should be playing here.

trevor newnham

Supports
Vigo RFC, Charlton
I think Mainoo should be getting more playing time than Fred and MacTominey for the first team. I think (and hope) he could be a tip top player for us

T00lsh3d

T00ly O' Sh3d

aka someone who has a lot of time on their hands and would have the ability to go see a football match on a weekday mid-afternoon :p
Never heard it before, but makes total sense, thanks

Ronaldinho's snakebite

Kovar - Nothing to do, some good quick throws and smart passing.

Jurado - Some decent effort but quality lacking.

Fish - Not really challenged. Steady.

Evans - As above, but did well in a 1v1 against a tricky quick player, snuffed out a cut back chance as well.

Williams - Was steady.

Fred - Started well, ridiculous free kick, tried to do too much too quickly.

Gore - Good little player there, will be a good loan for a League 1 side that likes to play.

VdB - Fantastic volley, when he was able to get on the ball he looked good.

Forson - Emeran must have an injury or has done something silly because I don't know how Omari has had these minutes ahead of him.

Hugill - Did everything you could expect, occupied the defenders and pressed well. If Hojlund or another striker isn't wrapped up then he should go on tour to be that option.

Hansen-Aaroen - Good effort and a neat trick to create a chance, clearly not a winger however.

Overall - Decent enough against a very senior Lyon side for 60 odd minutes.
Mount didn't play?

GazTheLegend

I understand the game had an attendance over 48,000 which is pretty incredible given the time it was played at. It's the school holidays in Scotland right now (I believe? Correct me if I'm wrong) though which helps, next week they start in England so there'd have been some younger fans there to see that fantastic VDB goal at least.

Borys

Statistics Wizard
Mainoo is really impressive, each touch is meaningful, good passing, tackling and strength. Really promising player.
I don't see it with Hannibal, I didn't see much of him before but doesn't look a stand out player at all.

Mount - pretty much as expected. He's a all-action midfielder, runs a lot, gets involved in bits of play, will make a run down the channel and try to cross from out wide. He gets the basics right even if doesn't look anything special and not as influential as Eriksen (wouldn't pay too much attention to a friendly anyway).
I was a bit surprised that he wasn't dropping deep (Fred was playing much deeper in second half).

Amad Is definitely on Antony's level, at least offensively. Defensively it's yet to be seen.

ColvaleGoa

Gore has something about him. He just looks like a player. Like someone mentioned, in the mould of Nicky Butt.

Mr Pigeon

Illiterate Flying Rat
Scout

I'm guessing that you're a NEET since you didn't know that the Scottish summer holidays started over two weeks ago?

Also, like @Samid says, that's harsh on me because I'm not a NEET. I've got a well paying job shouting at strangers who walk past the pub.

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
How was it?
Was honestly quite decent. Especially for the young lads, quite a few of them are showing they might have a little bit about them. Gore in particular was good in the second half and Kovar had a good game.

Real Name

Was honestly quite decent. Especially for the young lads, quite a few of them are showing they might have a little bit about them. Gore in particular was good in the second half and Kovar had a good game.
Sounds good, thanks. :)
I see Vdb scored, last chance saloon for him maybe.

wolvored

I think him and Mainoo have both been excellent in both the games I watched this pre season. Hope to see them in the first team squad this season but then again Iqbal and Savage looked good last year but werent really included
Yes agree to both points, although it was said TH let Iqbal go because he had higher hopes with Mainoo

KevinJoh

Mainoo was great absolutely, looked like experienced professional. Really hope he will get more minutes once big names are back. I would really like to see him together with Casemiro on the field once in advanced position.

I was honestly surprised with Hannibal in this two games. He was very good in my opinion. His pressing is brilliant, covers the ground, he made a few mistakes but it is normal. I really can see him as an option, although not sure it would be good for him as he would not get a lot of minutes and probably he wants to play every week. With Casemiro, Eriksen, Bruno, Mount and McTominay, I would say Mainoo is the one that will stay and we will use Sancho/Amad as options in some games to replace Bruno.

While people slating Alvaro and thinking he needs another loan, I honestly do not see what Malacia brings that Alvaro doesn't. I guess we won't sell Malacia this summer, but if I need to take one of two, I would go for Fernandez. He will certainly have minutes to prove himself on Tour.

krazyrobus

Watched 35 mins of the first half and it looked eerily similar to last season, chances created but not finished. That is our biggest problem, a Kane, Osimhen does not change the lack of contributions from our wide players, Amad, Sancho and Antony should have finished their chances.

manichester

Antony should be tried on the left, he checks back far too much on the right, it shows what can happen if a right footer crosses for the goal today.

freddie the red

On MUTV they had Martial at centre back . I thought WTF? But it was a printing error for Martinez
Was listening to H&J on Talksport just after 1ish and they stated the game was on and handed over to Ian Abrahams (The Moose) who read out the team with Martial in the back 4. I thought "WHAT"?
When he handed back to the studio I thought they were bound to make a joke of it but, no, not a flicker.
Thought I was losing my mind :houllier: