Manchester United Vs PSG - International Champions Cup (OP Updated)

Dazzmondo

Blind is better at passing than any of our centre backs, maybe distribution is the reason. The slow way we play means the centre backs have the ball a lot, so they have to be very comfortable on the ball.

There's a reason.

Just to clarify, I'm not for it, but it can be justified if you try hard enough.
If it was due to distribution, he should play Carrick who actually has played some very good games at cb. The left footed cb idea is stupid and I'm calling LVG on that one. The cb's preferred foot makes very little difference and certainly not enough to substitute quality.

Señor

Humongous twit who can't read
Blind is better at passing than any of our centre backs, maybe distribution is the reason. The slow way we play means the centre backs have the ball a lot, so they have to be very comfortable on the ball.

There's a reason.

Just to clarify, I'm not for it, but it can be justified if you try hard enough.
Yeah I know what you mean, course it could be justified but then again you'd find some weirdos on here that would justify playing Carrick in goal as he'd be able to dictate the game from there better or something like that. Many did the same when Van Gaal decided to play Rooney in midfield and Di Maria up front until it was painfully obvious LvG had lost it. I just think it's madness playing Blind there when we've got Smalling, an actual defender, who was unanimously voted on here as our best centre back.

Sylar

Ok phew, hes not hurt. He will come on for Basti it seems. I do feel for Herrera though. I do expect he will get enough time / games through the season however.

MarkC

Just said it, Blind starting at CB because of his distribution and that he can step into midfield. Exactly why we need a new CB.

ManUnitedCanuck

As others have said, it's shocking to me that Jones is ahead of Smalling in the starting lineup!

Dazzmondo

As others have said, it's shocking to me that Jones is ahead of Smalling in the starting lineup!
Well Jones has outperformed Smalling in pre-season. LVG has made it clear he doesn't rely on past performances with his handling of RVP, di Maria, Valdes, etc. Apart from against Barca, Smalling hasn't been good enough. He only has himself to blame for that imo. Hopefully, he'll rediscover his end-of-season form once the season starts and gets back in the team.

Sylar

I think Jones is ahead of Smalling because he compliments Blind much better. I understand the thinking in Blind at CB. His distribution / positioning is good and for games we dominate he can come forward.

My only worry is him against pace / quality on counter attacks.

sizzling sausages

Thinks TBP is a soft tagline whore
Scout
I think Jones is ahead of Smalling because he compliments Blind much better. I understand the thinking in Blind at CB. His distribution / positioning is good and for games we dominate he can come forward.

My only worry is him against pace / quality on counter attacks.
Not sure about that, I just think van Gaal rates Jones more.

Devil may care

Interesting that LvG is only going to use 3 substitutions, it will really hurt the chances of the young players getting some game time.

Dazzmondo

I think people are overcomplicating the Jones vs Smalling debate. I don't think Jones compliments Blind better and I don't think LVG considers Jones to be naturally better than Smalling. I'm pretty sure it is simply down to how they have performed in pre-season so far.

Rood

nostradamus like gloater
Scout
I dont know much about PSG, how close to full strength is their starting line up?

MDFC Manager

Interesting that LvG is only going to use 3 substitutions, it will really hurt the chances of the young players getting some game time.
Though on the other hand, the 11 that are going to start the season need playing time together. This is our last game before Spurs right?

Dazzmondo

I dont know much about PSG, how close to full strength is their starting line up?
I think it's full strength apart from Cavani. T. Silva, Veratti and Ibra all playing. Moura is rotated I think. Oh and I don't think they're playing Marquinhos today. Luiz missing too

Sylar

Not sure about that, I just think van Gaal rates Jones more.
Whatever the case, its LVGs call. This is what he gets paid for. So as long as this all prepares us to win the first game against Spurs, nobody will complain then.

Will Singh

English team vs a French team playing the American national anthem with a guy in the crowd wearing the NEW Man Utd shirt which ain't officially released... Good morning

redevil2

Happy belated birthday Carrick (28th July). Never believe it's not Scholes

Edit: 10th season United player!!! Legend in my eyes