Manchester United vs Sevilla | CL R16 Build-up Thread (Return Leg 13 March)

Class of 63

Sourness
Going through the Desert on a Horse with no Name
Like your setup, but won't happen, no way is Mourinho leaving Lukaku out. Lukaku instead of Lingard, sad part about Lingard is he was having a great january month and now his form has seemed to drop again.
Just got a hunch with it being so tight for T4 places, and with the home leg still to come that Mourinho may view the match against Chelsea on Sunday as more important, or at least as important and will probably rest Lukaku for tonight, so he'll be fresh, and with a point to prove to Chelsea, and try Martial up top on his own with Pogba widest left of a three behind him.

Lukaku will probably start and score a hat-trick now :lol:

Think if we are to get a positive result tonight Jesse will play a key part, he's probably the best player in our squad at finding space.

Lawman

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Just got a hunch with it being so tight for T4 places, and with the home leg still to come that Mourinho may view the match against Chelsea on Sunday as more important, or at least as important and will probably rest Lukaku for tonight, so he'll be fresh, and with a point to prove to Chelsea, and try Martial up top on his own with Pogba widest left of a three behind him.

Lukaku will probably start and score a hat-trick now :lol:

Think if we are to get a positive result tonight Jesse will play a key part, he's probably the best player in our squad at finding space.
Usually with a pass or first touch to be fair though!

van der star

newprawn warrior
Scout
Not too fussed about the midfield and the attack. I actually think we'll play better than we did in the last couple of games.

Cassady

Supports Liverpool, Not Accrington Stanley
Supports
Accrington Stanley.
I can see Jose doing a tactical masterclass tonight. The Pog will be unleashed with Lukaku getting a couple. Nah. Kidding. Think United will get some sort of result tonight. I dont think you'll conceded either.

Tibs

Can only imagine that Pogba is not 100% fit - it is the only explanation that makes sense.

Don't get why McTomminay is playing instead of our other central midfielder Jesse Lingard tho - somebody ask Jose

Brwned

Have you ever been in love before?
Been watching a lot of US streams recently and it always strikes me how much pharmaceutical advertising there is on there. I imagine getting bombarded by that all day every day must make you dangerously self-conscious about your health?!

Minimalist

Been watching a lot of US streams recently and it always strikes me how much pharmaceutical advertising there is on there. I imagine getting bombarded by that all day every day must make you dangerously self-conscious about your health?!
"Can I get my Aleve back?"

binary bot
Hope we start Tom Daley in the second leg and win via a 94th minute triple somersault after Navas breaths on him.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
I think we're out.
Simply because I think Sevilla will score first.

IRELANDUNITED

No no. 0-0 away in the first leg is a terrible result!
If we were told at the start of the tournament that to make a quarter final all we had to do was beat Seville at Old Trafford I think most of us would have taken that, if we cant manage that we shouldn't be in the competition in the first place.

eat_grass

Would have preferred a win, or an away goal-draw, but nil - nil isn't bad at all. Win at home and through to the quarter finals -- I'll take that. I just wish the players didn't look so scared of football. The nerves of potentially crashing United out because of a glaring mistake seems to be wearing very heavily on a couple of players. :(

eat_grass

Yeah but if United hadn't fielded a goal keeper image how many goals Sevilla would have scored! I don't think it's fair to expect the best goal keeper in the world to make incredible saves to keep clean sheets. That's not why teams sign great goal keepers. It's more for bragging rights: "Hey, we've got the best goal keeper in the world. But don't make him prove it, okay?"

Adnan

Talent Spotter
Atletico Madrid have put 5 past Sevilla in Sevilla with a few minutes still remaining...

Sigma

Atletico Madrid have put 5 past Sevilla in Sevilla with a few minutes still remaining...
Yeah, but Sevilla were always going to be up for a knockout Champions League game more than a La Liga game with nothing much to play for.

Giggs86

Yeah, but Sevilla were always going to be up for a knockout Champions League game more than a La Liga game with nothing much to play for.
We should've been up for it too having reached that stage for the first time in four years.

Their result today really drives the point I was making in the post-match thread - they were there for the taking and we should've finished the tie right there and then.

el3mel

That's a point many seem to be missing. A team like Seville playing against a big team in a CL KO tie will play with 200% of their abilities.

I also think we were playing the game while having Chelsea game in our mind so tried to converge energy while getting a result. Chelsea put a huge work against Barca and they looks really knackered against us in second half.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
That's a point many seem to be missing. A team like Seville playing against a big team in a CL KO tie will play with 200% of their abilities.

I also think we were playing the game while having Chelsea game in our mind so tried to converge energy while getting a result. Chelsea put a huge work against Barca and they looks really knackered against us in second half.
We should also have been up for our first CL knockout game (with a proper manager in charge) in 5 years (don't count Moyes since everybody knew we'd get knocked out as soon as we played a decent team... but not the point).
We were awful against them and showed no desire at all to actually show we are the better team (because we obviously are, they don't have a single player who would get in our strongest 11). They are decent, sure, but not a top team at all, but basically around the same level as like what Besiktas, Porto or Basel were (and they all got hammered). Mourinho gave them way too much respect and did his usual contain in big games rather then actually try to dominate away from home.
Also not a chance in hell anyone plays a champions league knockout tie with an eye on a premier league game that only impacts the top 4 which you get in.... to play in the champions league.

Oscie

What's with these long breaks between the ties? It's a ballache.

Sigma

We should also have been up for our first CL knockout game (with a proper manager in charge) in 5 years (don't count Moyes since everybody knew we'd get knocked out as soon as we played a decent team... but not the point).
We were awful against them and showed no desire at all to actually show we are the better team (because we obviously are, they don't have a single player who would get in our strongest 11). They are decent, sure, but not a top team at all, but basically around the same level as like what Besiktas, Porto or Basel were (and they all got hammered). Mourinho gave them way too much respect and did his usual contain in big games rather then actually try to dominate away from home.
Also not a chance in hell anyone plays a champions league knockout tie with an eye on a premier league game that only impacts the top 4 which you get in.... to play in the champions league.
I agree we should have definitely showed more in the game, all I was saying was they were never going to roll over for us.

el3mel

Nah it's called management of your energy and efforts. A draw away at Seville is a decent result while conserving your energy for a very important premier league game against an opponent who took an extra day rest. That's why we aren't suitable for manage a football team any time soon. Managers look beyond a certain game. Impossible to full intensity 2 big matches in a row. Chelsea won at Atletico 2-1 then couldn't get their gear up against City and lost. Similar thing happened to them after Barcelona draw and looked knackered against us.

I think Mourinho set up the team to play conservatively while trying to nick a goal if possible. The only thing that wasn't in the plan was how our defense was terrible and we looked over dependent on David. We should have had a comfortable game but our defence looked all over the place.

If we win at Old Trafford and qualify for QF, no one will ever remember this 0-0 draw again.

Last edited:

cyberman

I see the Atletico result has become a way to vent at Jose since we actually beat Chelsea today.
We took no risks v Sevilla since we were in bad form ourselves and Jose thinking we can easily take them at OT.
I can't blame him for managing the tie, we tried to attack fecking Newcastle days prior and lost.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Nah it's called management of your energy and efforts. A draw away at Seville is a decent result while conserving your energy for a very important premier league game against an opponent who took an extra day rest. That's why we aren't suitable for manage a football team any time soon. Managers look beyond a certain game. Impossible to full intensity 2 big matches in a row. Chelsea won at Atletico 2-1 then couldn't get their gear up against City and lost. Similar thing happened to them after Barcelona draw and looked knackered against us.

I think Mourinho set up the team to play conservatively while trying to nick a goal if possible. The only thing that wasn't in the plan was how our defense was terrible and we looked over dependent on David. We should have had a comfortable game but our defence looked all over the place.

If we win at Old Trafford and qualified for QF, no one will ever remember this 0-0 draw again.
It's a game of football, it's more tiring to defend for 90 minutes then it is to attack for 90 minutes. And besides, anyone who plays a game like that in "conserve mode" is asking to be beaten. And that's not at all Mourinho's style. He did go to grind out a 0-0 or a 1-0, but that's literally his go to plan in every single big game. And he treated Sevilla like he was playing against Barcelona, despite them being nowhere close any of the top 6 in the premier league quality wise. It's like if he went away to Everton or Leicester and tried to grind out a 0-0 instead of just beating them and finishing the tie in the first leg. It's not like they need to kill themselves and you aren't playing the best team in the world. It's Sevilla. A team who won't be in the champions league next season and who know they'll be knocked out soon but are just playing for a bit of pride. He overrated Sevilla, or just didn't have confidence in his own team to go out and dominate them (which he really doesn't seem to have often in any big game).

Also don't go with the "that's why we aren't managers".. such a cop out saying that. It's nothing new that Mourinho isn't the bravest of managers especially when the big games come.

Yeah, we'll still go through probably, and it'll be fine. But the game plan was shite and we probably deserved to lose on the day because Sevilla outplayed us and created a few good chances. Plus, it leaves us with the possibility of having the type of performance that happened loads last season. Dominate at home, create chances, not clinical and then end with a 1-1 draw and us lose on away goals.

el3mel

It's a game of football, it's more tiring to defend for 90 minutes then it is to attack for 90 minutes. And besides, anyone who plays a game like that in "conserve mode" is asking to be beaten. And that's not at all Mourinho's style. He did go to grind out a 0-0 or a 1-0, but that's literally his go to plan in every single big game. And he treated Sevilla like he was playing against Barcelona, despite them being nowhere close any of the top 6 in the premier league quality wise. It's like if he went away to Everton or Leicester and tried to grind out a 0-0 instead of just beating them and finishing the tie in the first leg. It's not like they need to kill themselves and you aren't playing the best team in the world. It's Sevilla. A team who won't be in the champions league next season and who know they'll be knocked out soon but are just playing for a bit of pride. He overrated Sevilla, or just didn't have confidence in his own team to go out and dominate them (which he really doesn't seem to have often in any big game).

Also don't go with the "that's why we aren't managers".. such a cop out saying that. It's nothing new that Mourinho isn't the bravest of managers especially when the big games come.

Yeah, we'll still go through probably, and it'll be fine. But the game plan was shite and we probably deserved to lose on the day because Sevilla outplayed us and created a few good chances. Plus, it leaves us with the possibility of having the type of performance that happened loads last season. Dominate at home, create chances, not clinical and then end with a 1-1 draw and us lose on away goals.
Nah the game should have been far more comfortable than what it turned out to be. Our defense was terrible and thus led to us caught several times on the back and became over dependent on De Gea. Mourinho set the team to play a conservative game, controlling midfield, defending well and try to nick a goal if we can while having the least intensity possible for the upcoming important games. This is a 2 legged tie and whatever we complain about the approach if we win at Old Trafford we would have played it absolutely right, didn't let the game exhaust us so that we defeat Chelsea and then get past them at home. Same complaints were said about our Europe League games last season but results in these 2 legged ties are the only thing matter.

Don't know when I said Mourinho is brace away from home. I said it myself he wanted a conservative approach and a low tense game with a decent result as long as we don't lose. This will always be his approach in any second legged tie. The main complaint about this game is how terrible we looked while defending which put us on the edge. The game should have been comfortable than this. Mourinho planed for a boring game with no threads going our side but we didn't defend well.

Regarding "we're not manager" stuff, no it really is. As fans we only think about entertainment about watching the games whatever happen. Managers look beyond that specific game to what will happen later and we have examples in Chelsea in how playing with full gear in 2 big games in a 2 row without managing your fitness isn't the best idea.

To not drag this further, point is, if Mourinho managed to win at Old Trafford while getting results in the league, his approach can't be described by anything spot on, whatever anyone can complain about our play style. If we get knocked out against Seville you're free to put full blame on him. At the moment the fact is we got a decent result away and beat Chelsea after. Let's see what the home game will turn to be before complaining.

PoTMS

As expected, these lot are shite and we made then look a lot better than they actually are. They were 5-0 down today AT home before the 86th minute. We managed to muster ONE shot against them the entire game in comparison.

Gbenger

As expected, these lot are shite and we made then look a lot better than they actually are. They were 5-0 down today AT home before the 86th minute. We managed to muster ONE shot against them the entire game in comparison.
You are trying too hard. There are people here who will still somehow find a way to defend that shit performance.