Manchester United vs Sevilla | CL R16 Build-up Thread (Return Leg 13 March)

Bestietom

We are Manchester United and should not be afraid to face any team in the world, but unfortunately we have in the last few years let teams in the Premiership pull away from us by not bringing in the right players. This needs to be sorted quickly or we will only fall further behind.

If it takes a huge investment the let it be, but it must be spent wisely on the right players and the deadwood shipped out.

NinjaZombie

Punched the air when Liverpool beat City
I've said it before loads of times here, but I do hate playing the second leg at home. Memories of Monaco 97 and Porto 05 comes to mind.

Samid

He's no Bilal Ilyas Jhandir
Excellent!
Apparently Sevilla are charging United fans £89 for the match so this seems totally fair. Liverpool fans were charged £54 in the group stage in comparison. Sevilla fans only have their own club to blame.

SirAF

Ageist
Apparently Sevilla are charging United fans £89 for the match so this seems totally fair. Liverpool fans were charged £54 in the group stage in comparison. Sevilla fans only have their own club to blame.
Exactly, tit for tat and all that.

IronCroos37

Jose will play for 0-0 and we might loose 1-0 wich is an almost eliminated type of score. I hope we play a midfield 3 and get at least a high score draw.

DreamIsh

Supports
Liverpool
0-0

Then Jose will try to win it on the home leg.

Gusjaros

Supports
Several teams
They did beat Atletico Madrid yesterday, but it was a lucky and unfair win as the referee incorrectly denied Atletico an early goal.

It will be interesting to see if Sevilla can improve with this match as a foundation or if they'll keep struggling.

YouOnlyLiveTwice

They did beat Atletico Madrid yesterday, but it was a lucky and unfair win as the referee incorrectly denied Atletico an early goal.

It will be interesting to see if Sevilla can improve with this match as a foundation or if they'll keep struggling.
Maybe the goal should have stood, but to call it a lucky win is harsh imo.

It was an equal match, with plenty of chances for both sides. Sevilla are certainly no mugs when they are at their best.

Bestietom

It will be tough, Sevilla are a good all round team. We need to be concentrated for both ties.

Samid

He's no Bilal Ilyas Jhandir
It's February! Can't believe it has been four years since our last knockout campaign. Even then we almost fecked it up vs Olympiakos and with Moyes in charge it didn't really feel like a real CL campaign.

2017: Not qualified
2016: Group stages
2015: Not qualified
2014: QFs
2013: R16
2012: Group stages
2011: Finalists
2010: QFs
2009: Finalists
2008: Winners
2007: SFs

The golden age between 2007-2011 seems a distant memory. 7 years since we were relevant in this competition. Think this club needs a proper CL run to get some of the feelgood factor back. Lot of negativity amongst fans, and the players also seem to lack belief, especially in games where we are a goal or two down.

Beat this lot and we're 'just' two ties away from Kiev. We often talk about 'blessings in disguise' on here but hopefully last night was a lesson for Jose on how to not approach the CL. With the right tactics and a bit of luck with the draw there is no reason why we can't build some momentum and go deep in this competition.

Seven Seas Sardines

Fortunately we played our childish no-tactics game against Spurs, so we didn't have to do it in the CL. Really hope we can have our best back-four ready for this.

De Gea
Valencia Bailly Rojo Shaw
Herrera Matic
Sanchez Pogba Martial
Lukaku​

RedRom

"Where's Lingard?"
Fortunately we played our childish no-tactics game against Spurs, so we didn't have to do it in the CL. Really hope we can have our best back-four ready for this.

De Gea
Valencia Bailly Rojo Shaw
Herrera Matic
Sanchez Pogba Martial
Lukaku​
Why no Lingard, what has he done so very wrong to not be involved or included in this starting eleven?

Canagel

Lost 5-1 to Eibar yesterday. If we cant beat these we need a good boot in the hole
They aren't a good side. Liverpool had a 3-0 lead at their ground and we are a better team than Liverpool so I fully expect us to do the job over 2 legs.

Siorac

Well it does has to be asked?!!

He has played quite well recently, does he really deserve to not start such a high profile match?
If we want a three-man midfield there is no place for him. Unless we drop Pogba.

RedRom

"Where's Lingard?"
If we want a three-man midfield there is no place for him. Unless we drop Pogba.
I think we miss something when he does not start a game, so I would far rather see him start then not, plus he is just an excellent player, and we should want excellent players to be playing for us!

Raw

I'm always wary of Spanish sides, we always seem to under perform against them. Even Celta Vigo last season (second leg) caused us some problems. Thankfully Jose has some La Liga experience under his belt.

Siorac

I think we miss something when he does not start a game, so I would far rather see him start then not, plus he is just an excellent player, and we should want excellent players to be playing for us!
Well then our options are limited.

We can play 4-2-3-1 with Pogba next to Matic; a formation that always seems to limit Pogba and make our midfield look non-existent against decent opposition.

Or we can drop either Sanchez or Martial so that Lingard can play wide where he was never really good.

Or we can drop Pogba. Our supposed best outfield player.

mike bird

Supports
Boston Celtics
Tbh, I am already thinking about our next opponent. The current Sevilla team is a pub team, so I m confident we will not have any issues.

gavdim2002

We can play 4-2-3-1 with Pogba next to Matic; a formation that always seems to limit Pogba and make our midfield look non-existent against decent opposition.

Or we can drop either Sanchez or Martial so that Lingard can play wide where he was never really good.

We can push our defence further up - we do not need two DMP if we do minimize space that way and at the same time play an attacking dominating type of football.

RedRom

"Where's Lingard?"

Personally I would say that Valencia was and is our best outfield player, but maybe that is just me.

I get what you are saying, but when you have such a highly skilled player, and someone as good as Lingard, he really does deserve to play in our high profile matches.

He works so very hard for the team, makes excellent runs, and has a temperament for the big occasions.

I just don't see how he can't play in this or any other big game, be is just that good these days.

Ramshock

CAF Pilib De Brún Translator
Swimming against a tide of idiots and spoofers
Personally I would say that Valencia was and is our best outfield player, but maybe that is just me.

I get what you are saying, but when you have such a highly skilled player, and someone as good as Lingard, he really does deserve to play in our high profile matches.

He works so very hard for the team, makes excellent runs, and has a temperament for the big occasions.

I just don't see how he can't play in this or any other big game, be is just that good these days.
:lol: I love Tony but what?

dal

---------lukaku-----------
Sanchez -----lingard
-------pogba---herrera----
----------matic------------
Shaw--rojo--smallish-Valencia
-----------de gea-----------

Hopefully Herrera hits form.

The champions league probably forces us to play our most balanced team.

Martial rashford will be great bench options.

I think we will win the champions league.

Schmiznurf

Caf Representative in Mafia Championship
The best part about beating them, if we do, is Klopp can stop talking about who each team faced in the Europa final.

JeffBoomTetris

Sevilla are pretty bland in Europe. When Emery was there, regardless of how poor they looked in the Liga, they'd always turn up & blitz teams on the counter.

Now, we only need to have a compact and disciplined arrangement and try to attack quickly in possession. But, José will probably go for a much more reactive approach

RedRom

"Where's Lingard?"
Fair enough, I do have a liking for him, overall though, de Gea is our best player, with Valencia second, Pogba third, Sanchez fourth, and Bailly fifth.

That is my viewpoint anyway!

buckooo1978

Fair enough, I do have a liking for him, overall though, de Gea is our best player, with Valencia second, Pogba third, Sanchez fourth, and Bailly fifth.

That is my viewpoint anyway!
so a player with no left foot and an inability to cross without hitting the first man 9/10 is our best outfield player?