Manchester United vs Sevilla | CL R16 Build-up Thread (Return Leg 13 March)

RedRom

"Where's Lingard?"
Would've preferred to play at Home first, if we don't score at least 2 in Spain we could have problems. Sadly see Mourinho setting us up to get a 0-0
José will allow us to play, you don't have to worry about that, we will score at least one over there.

Siorac

We can push our defence further up - we do not need two DMP if we do minimize space that way and at the same time play an attacking dominating type of football.
Yeah but last I checked our manager was still Jose Mourinho and there is no way he'll set up like that.

gavdim2002

Yeah but last I checked our manager was still Jose Mourinho and there is no way he'll set up like that.
Playing with 4 players (2 x C.B. + 2 x D.M.P.) reduced to "standing in the way of the opposition" will never again win anybody a major title, be it with José or not. (Leicester's "1 in a 1000.000.000.000" is never going to happen again).

Sigma

Yes Luke Shaw hasn't scored or assisted this season. Have you seen him playing week in week out or have you completely forgotten that he is taking huge leaps forward after a broken leg?
Valencia is 32 and Luke is just 22.

Valencia has been a wonderful player for us. No doubts about it. But it seems people have settled for mediocrity. He is nothing special going forward, i don't remember the last time he put in a decent delivery into the box for Lukaku. Its so easy to see that he so predictable.

Where do you rate Valencia amongst
Walker
Meunier
Kimmich
Carvajal

We need upgrades on him to move forward.

I mean he literally put in a good cross to Lukaku in the last game...

ayushreddevil9

Foootball hinders the adrenaline of transfers.

As I have already mentioned, I don't think he contributes a lot offensively like a modern fullback does, and that's my opinion.

RedRom

"Where's Lingard?"
As I have already mentioned, I don't think he contributes a lot offensively like a modern fullback does, and that's my opinion.
So apart from getting goals and assists, he doesn't do much to help the side in an attacking sense, yeah okay, that makes perfect sense!

ayushreddevil9

So apart from getting goals and assists, he doesn't do much to help the side in an attacking sense, yeah okay, that makes perfect sense!
Yeah if you consider zero assists as a contribution.

Canagel

He doesn't do it enough mate. Valencia has the freedom of the entire right hand side and his final ball is still not good enough compared to the top RB's in World football. Defensively he's very solid but that's it. He doesn't take defenders on and he can't cross either. In an attacking sense he seems to be very reluctant to do anything positive and it's very frustrating because he should be doing these things more often.

Sigma

He doesn't do it enough mate. Valencia has the freedom of the entire right hand side and his final ball is still not good enough compared to the top RB's in World football. Defensively he's very solid but that's it. He doesn't take defenders on and he can't cross either. In an attacking sense he seems to be very reluctant to do anything positive and it's very frustrating because he should be doing these things more often.
People like to say this as if this is an advantage. He's basically playing right wing and right back at the same time because Mata drifts in a lot. Pretty hard for any footballer to be playing 2 positions at once. Getting a right winger and that problem would be solved.

His crossing is far better than people like to admit. Not amazing, but not terrible. It's become a tired cliche which people just perpetuate. But he does actually contribute in an attacking sense quite a lot. He carries the ball forward well, links up play well, plays forward passes (the one down the line to Lukaku is common) e.t.c.

ayushreddevil9

Exactly! He doesn't do it enough and on a consistent basis. He is superb defensively but doesn't offer much going forwards.

Canagel

People like to say this as if this is an advantage. He's basically playing right wing and right back at the same time because Mata drifts in a lot. Pretty hard for any footballer to be playing 2 positions at once. Getting a right winger and that problem would be solved.

His crossing is far better than people like to admit. Not amazing, but not terrible. It's become a tired cliche which people just perpetuate. But he does actually contribute in an attacking sense quite a lot. He carries the ball forward well, links up play well, plays forward passes (the one down the line to Lukaku is common) e.t.c.
I sense that Valencia's the sort of player who is happy with having a 7/10 performance every week and he's very comfortable with that. When I look at his attributes so strong, quick. He has everything to produce 9/10 performances and directly affect games but he doesn't reach that level I know he can. He is too comfortable with consistent 7/10 performances and football is now moving towards a stage where fullbacks have to directly influence results and Valencia keeps hanging back. Don't get me wrong I love Valencia but we should be looking for cover/competition in the summer.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
I sense that Valencia's the sort of player who is happy with having a 7/10 performance every week and he's very comfortable with that. When I look at his attributes so strong, quick. He has everything to produce 9/10 performances and directly affect games but he doesn't reach that level I know he can. He is too comfortable with consistent 7/10 performances and football is now moving towards a stage where fullbacks have to directly influence results and Valencia keeps hanging back. Don't get me wrong I love Valencia but we should be looking for cover/competition in the summer.
Fullbacks provide platform for others to influence results, haven't seen many fullbacks directly influencing results apart from Dani Alves and Marcelo. At least in PL there are none.

RedRom

"Where's Lingard?"
Surely Mensah is the cover or competition when he comes back into the fold?

TheFlagStaysDown

Supports
Shamrock rovers
Okay so which fullbacks in the world of football make things on their own? Can't think of many. Valencia is a RB who plays on his side on his own as our RW tends to cut in the middle be it Lingard or Mata. He has the physicality, speed and stamina to run on his own up and down the wing all game, he very rarely is out of position and almost never make mistakes these days, he's always back to cover and don't remember the last time he made mistake really... that alone is awesome.

And he's not bad going forward but what do you want from a RB? he can't dribble players like wingers do it, so many times he's really there alone but the way he dribbles is a very safe and good way of dribbling for a RB, because he really can't lose the ball there. And he absolutely never loses the ball when in possession, he may paly a bad pass but he's never dispossessed, his covering of the ball is absolutely fantastic. And he's got decent shot.

I think people should look at all his qualities what he adds to the team and not look at him as a winger anymore ffs. Mourinho would never like his rightback to try things and lose the ball in advanced positions. That's kinda how Young likes to play a little riskier but he's a better dribbler with a good turn and he's still playing it somewhat save, just wait for the defender's mistake and get past him or play the cross than dribble him.

Not every player player is Marcelo. Valencia can be a bit frustrating but it's not his duty to primarily create, he plays the way he's very solid 7/10 RB and slowly builds on that, he's waiting for the defender to make the mistake and ready to make use of that, he's nothing like comfortable, he gives his all all the time, he's just there on his own so he doesn't have many chances to exploit the right flank, while being solid at the back.

Sigma

Okay so which fullbacks in the world of football make things on their own? Can't think of many. Valencia is a RB who plays on his side on his own as our RW tends to cut in the middle be it Lingard or Mata. He has the physicality, speed and stamina to run on his own up and down the wing all game, he very rarely is out of position and almost never make mistakes these days, he's always back to cover and don't remember the last time he made mistake really... that alone is awesome.

And he's not bad going forward but what do you want from a RB? he can't dribble players like wingers do it, so many times he's really there alone but the way he dribbles is a very safe and good way of dribbling for a RB, because he really can't lose the ball there. And he absolutely never loses the ball when in possession, he may paly a bad pass but he's never dispossessed, his covering of the ball is absolutely fantastic. And he's got decent shot.

I think people should look at all his qualities what he adds to the team and not look at him as a winger anymore ffs. Mourinho would never like his rightback to try things and lose the ball in advanced positions. That's kinda how Young likes to play a little riskier but he's a better dribbler with a good turn and he's still playing it somewhat save, just wait for the defender's mistake and get past him or play the cross than dribble him.

Not every player player is Marcelo. Valencia can be a bit frustrating but it's not his duty to primarily create, he plays the way he's very solid 7/10 RB and slowly builds on that, he's waiting for the defender to make the mistake and ready to make use of that, he's nothing like comfortable, he gives his all all the time, he's just there on his own so he doesn't have many chances to exploit the right flank, while being solid at the back.
Agreed, great post.

haram

Would've preferred to play at Home first, if we don't score at least 2 in Spain we could have problems. Sadly see Mourinho setting us up to get a 0-0
No chance he goes for a 0-0. Away goals are way too important.

RedRom

"Where's Lingard?"
No chance he goes for a 0-0. Away goals are way too important.
Exactly, I have no idea at all why someone would think that he would be happy with a 0-0, or even try to set up that way.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
They're 6th place in La Liga, 1 point ahead of 7th. We aren't going to go there and park the bus. We really should look to dominate both games

haram

I know that, you know that, but I wouldn't be surprised if Mourinho will be happy with a 0-0, maybe if he knew how tense it get's at Old Trafford in a big Champions League he'd think differently.
Yeah, I’m pretty sure Mourinho knows a lot more than us.

They're 6th place in La Liga, 1 point ahead of 7th. We aren't going to go there and park the bus. We really should look to dominate both games
We bossed Celta Vigo at their ground last year. We were just wasteful. We are a better team now, we can attack, defend, counter. Mourinho will have us ready.

Jose will aim for a solid 0-2.
Early goal and a late goal as they chase and we hit on the counter.
This is what I hope. A bit of a press in the early parts, cool off during the middle half of the game, score on the break in the last 15-20 mins.

Mciahel Goodman

Worst Werewolf Player of All Times
Staff
Zero goals for walker against 3 for tony.
7 assists for walker against zero for tony.

Add to that a menacing presence on the right wing everytime city make an attacking move.
I think Valencia has been better at right back than Walker this season. Hard to compare though.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
What, like we did when we played Athletic Bilbao ?
Different situation. If that same game was in the champions league, you can bet that it would've been different. That year was all down to complacency. If we play like we can, we should dominate.

P-Nut

fan of well-known French footballer Fabinho
I expect...

DDG
Valencia Smalling Jones Young
Herrera Matic Pogba
Mata Lukaku Sanchez

I'd personally put Martial in for Mata and move him back over to the left. Also replace Young with Shaw. Reckon we'll get a 1-0 win over there and the same score when we bring them back over here.

RedRom

"Where's Lingard?"
I expect...

DDG
Herrera Matic Pogba
Mata Lukaku Sanchez

I'd personally put Martial in for Mata and move him back over to the left. Also replace Young with Shaw. Reckon we'll get a 1-0 win over there and the same score when we bring them back over here.
Why no Lingard?

RedRom

"Where's Lingard?"
Mourinho is old school, draw 0-0 away, win 1 or 2-0 at home, always has been, probably always will be
It is almost as if you are craving him to do as you mistakenly think he might do so, just so you can say "I told you so!".

Cal?

CR7 fan
I don't really care what they've done so far this season, they've still got the bulk of the squad that won three Europa League titles on the bounce.
By that logic surely a 1-0 win away is a great result?

Canagel

Surely Mensah is the cover or competition when he comes back into the fold?
I think TFM is better as a DM than at RB but he can definitely fill in there as an option. Its very important to buy a RB who can compete with Valencia with a view to eventually taking that position over because Darmian is not up to the required standards.

Mciahel Goodman

Worst Werewolf Player of All Times
Staff
I expect...

DDG
Herrera Matic Pogba
Mata Lukaku Sanchez

I'm expecting Rojo or Lindelof to start. Both continental in style and used to that type of game. Not to say Smalling and Jones aren't, but it comes more natural to the other two. One will probably start.