Manchester United vs Sevilla | CL R16 Build-up Thread (Return Leg 13 March)

RedRom

"Where's Lingard?"
so a player with no left foot and an inability to cross without hitting the first man 9/10 is our best outfield player?
We each have our own personal favourites, I guess that mine is just him, I am guessing then that trying to start up a fan club of his would not be worthwhile then?!

buckooo1978

We each have our own personal favourites, I guess that mine is just him, I am guessing then that trying to start up a fan club of his would not be worthwhile then?!
sounds like a man crush there... very fond of him myself

RedRom

"Where's Lingard?"
sounds like a man crush there... very fond of him myself
Well I suppose one could put it down like that, if one were so inclined to do so!

I think he deserves more praise then he seemingly gets, he is a top player, and is a big reason why our defence is just the best in this country.

ayushreddevil9

Foootball hinders the adrenaline of transfers.
Personally I would say that Valencia was and is our best outfield player, but maybe that is just me.

I get what you are saying, but when you have such a highly skilled player, and someone as good as Lingard, he really does deserve to play in our high profile matches.

He works so very hard for the team, makes excellent runs, and has a temperament for the big occasions.

I just don't see how he can't play in this or any other big game, be is just that good these days.
Not this shit again.
Yes lingard is good but you are talking like he is been a messi for us.

If you watched the spurs game, then you would have realized that having a good forward lineup with an equally ineffective midfield is meaningless. Someone from that forward lineup needs to be dropped to accommodate a third midfielder to give us the control.
Lukaku sanchez won't get dropped. I will let jose pick between Jesse and Martial. If we go again with a 4-2-3-1 in a big game, then its fair to say jose hasn't learned anything from the spurs debacle.

Roberto420

Well I suppose one could put it down like that, if one were so inclined to do so!

I think he deserves more praise then he seemingly gets, he is a top player, and is a big reason why our defence is just the best in this country.
Agree 100% he gets stick for not having a left foot while he has scored this year with his left peg, all the while apparently Luke Shaw is our future left back a lad who has yet to score or assist its actually laughable and pretty hypocritical.

RedRom

"Where's Lingard?"
Not this shit again.
Yes lingard is good but you are talking like he is been a messi for us.

If you watched the spurs game, then you would have realized that having a good forward lineup with an equally ineffective midfield is meaningless. Someone from that forward lineup needs to be dropped to accommodate a third midfielder to give us the control.
Lukaku sanchez won't get dropped. I will let jose pick between Jesse and Martial. If we go again with a 4-2-3-1 in a big game, then its fair to say jose hasn't learned anything from the spurs debacle.
Messi is on another planet from everyone else, Ronaldo and Neymar included, and Lingard does not come into this discussion, so not sure why you think that I rate him in the same sort of bracket.

Lingard has been very good for us, he is a very hard worker, and it seems like José likes his players to be hardworking, perhaps that is why he went in big on Sanchez, and not seemingly as big for Ozil.

Bit anyway that is going off the topic at hand ever so slightly, in our best team, I think he (Lingard) is most definitely in José's mind, and rightly so, he has been excellent for us.

Lukaku, Lingard, Pogba, de Gea, Sanchez and Valencia, are the players that I think are nailed on to start this match, the rest are still to be determined I think.

ayushreddevil9

Agree 100% he gets stick for not having a left foot while he has scored this year with his left peg, all the while apparently Luke Shaw is our future left back a lad who has yet to score or assist its actually laughable and pretty hypocritical.
Yes Luke Shaw hasn't scored or assisted this season. Have you seen him playing week in week out or have you completely forgotten that he is taking huge leaps forward after a broken leg?
Valencia is 32 and Luke is just 22.

Valencia has been a wonderful player for us. No doubts about it. But it seems people have settled for mediocrity. He is nothing special going forward, i don't remember the last time he put in a decent delivery into the box for Lukaku. Its so easy to see that he so predictable.

Where do you rate Valencia amongst
Walker
Meunier
Kimmich
Carvajal

We need upgrades on him to move forward.

RedRom

"Where's Lingard?"
Yes Luke Shaw hasn't scored or assisted this season. Have you seen him playing week in week out or have you completely forgotten that he is taking huge leaps forward after a broken leg?

Valencia has been a wonderful player for us. No doubts about it. But it seems people have settled for mediocrity. He is nothing special going forward, i don't remember the last time he put in a decent delivery into the box for Lukaku. Its so easy to see that he so predictable.

Walker
Meunier
Kimmich
Carvajal

He is better than Walker, certainly defensively.

AgentP

I think this match has come at the right time for us. Sevilla lost 5-1 to Eibar.

ayushreddevil9

Messi is on another planet from everyone else, Ronaldo and Neymar included, and Lingard does not come into this discussion, so not sure why you think that I rate him in the same sort of bracket.

Lingard has been very good for us, he is a very hard worker, and it seems like José likes his players to be hardworking, perhaps that is why he went in big on Sanchez, and not seemingly as big for Ozil.

Bit anyway that is going off the topic at hand ever so slightly, in our best team, I think he (Lingard) is most definitely in José's mind, and rightly so, he has been excellent for us.

Lukaku, Lingard, Pogba, de Gea, Sanchez and Valencia, are the players that I think are nailed on to start this match, the rest are still to be determined I think.
Never said that he is 'the' messi level player. What it really meant was that you are talking like lingard has had messi 'like' influence on the team which clearly isn't the case.

And why suddenly Martial is no longer a guaranteed starter for us? He is far superior technically and is in good form too. Both him and jesse had a mare against spurs. We don't need hardworking players from the attacking unit. The midfield can do that job.

Have you not seen Ozil play under Jose? He was the best number 10 in the world at that time. He wasn't available and Sanchez was. Don't know where this hardworking logic comes from when ozil is concerned.

haram

De Gea

Valencia Bailly Jones Shaw

Herrera Matic Pogba

Lingard Lukaku Sanchez

ayushreddevil9

He is better than Walker, certainly defensively.
Yes, definitely. But being only defensively sound isn't a trait of a modern fullback. Thats where walker is better because he can contribute to attack a hundred times more that Tony without being a complete defensive liability.

RedRom

"Where's Lingard?"
Never said that he is 'the' messi level player. What it really meant was that you are talking like lingard has had messi 'like' influence on the team which clearly isn't the case.

And why suddenly Martial is no longer a guaranteed starter for us? He is far superior technically and is in good form too. Both him and jesse had a mare against spurs. We don't need hardworking players from the attacking unit. The midfield can do that job.

Have you not seen Ozil play under Jose? He was the best number 10 in the world at that time. He wasn't available and Sanchez was. Don't know where this hardworking logic comes from when ozil is concerned.
No player on any team ever has had a "Messi like influence", so again I do not think of Lingard in that kind of way, he will not be getting us 90 plus goals in a calendar year, that much is for sure.

I never said that Martial was not a guaranteed starter for us, if that was what you were trying to imply, I think that he is an excellent player in his own right, and would love to see him play as often as it is possible for him to do so.

At the time in the January window, Ozil was very much available with less than six months to go on his then current deal, but it did seem that José prioritised Sanchez over him, and J think that speaks quite loudly.

RedRom

"Where's Lingard?"
Yes, definitely. But being only defensively sound isn't a trait of a modern fullback. Thats where walker is better because he can contribute to attack a hundred times more that Tony without being a complete defensive liability.
I would have to disagree agree with you on that last point, how many goals has Walker got this season out of interest?

ayushreddevil9

I would have to disagree agree with you on that last point, how many goals has Walker got this season out of interest?
Zero goals for walker against 3 for tony.
7 assists for walker against zero for tony.

Add to that a menacing presence on the right wing everytime city make an attacking move.

ayushreddevil9

No player on any team ever has had a "Messi like influence", so again I do not think of Lingard in that kind of way, he will not be getting us 90 plus goals in a calendar year, that much is for sure.

I never said that Martial was not a guaranteed starter for us, if that was what you were trying to imply, I think that he is an excellent player in his own right, and would love to see him play as often as it is possible for him to do so.

At the time in the January window, Ozil was very much available with less than six months to go on his then current deal, but it did seem that José prioritised Sanchez over him, and J think that speaks quite loudly.
Ozil was clearly signing a new contract, otherwise its hard to imagine that only we would be interested in getting a player of his quality for peanuts. He would have moved anyway.

Anyways there's no point derailing the thread.

RedRom

"Where's Lingard?"
Zero goals for walker against 3 for tony.
7 assists for walker against zero for tony.

Add to that a menacing presence on the right wing everytime city make an attacking move.
So scoring goals is not adding to the attacking side of our game is it?

ayushreddevil9

Yeah clearly that guy doesn't watch the games, just us two, smh at his post so hard.
If you think valencia contributes a lot to our attack, then fair play to you. No point in discussing it further. We have our own opinions.

wolvored

This will not be an easy game. I can even see Mourinho parking the bus and hoping that Sanchez or Lingard can get a breakaway goal.

Lennon7

nipple flasher and door destroyer
Fair enough, I do have a liking for him, overall though, de Gea is our best player, with Valencia second, Pogba third, Sanchez fourth, and Bailly fifth.

That is my viewpoint anyway!
Can’t be serious.

Houdini

Not the best but aslo not the worst. It wont be so easy as some people think. We should go all in for the away match. But if we cant beat Sevilla then something is wrong.

ayushreddevil9

Of course I do, and last time that I checked scoring goals does add to a teams attacking abilities, but perhaps that is something that you don't believe in.
3 goals in the season. So much attacking. Zero assists.. no mention of that. Is it really that difficult for you to understand that he is not that good when it comes to creating chances for the team?

Roberto420

Walker
Meunier
Kimmich
Carvajal

Yeah ive seen Shaws stats he has 3 assists his whole career be it injury blighted or not that's shocking.

If Valencia is settling for mediocrity what does that make settling for Shaw?

ayushreddevil9

Yeah ive seen Shaws stats he has 3 assists his whole career be it injury blighted or not that's shocking.

If Valencia is settling for mediocrity what does that make settling for Shaw?
I'm only giving him benefit of young age, potential and coming off from recurring injuries

Last edited: