Manchester United vs Sevilla | CL R16 Build-up Thread (Return Leg 13 March)

Class of 63

Sourness
Going through the Desert on a Horse with no Name
Juventus v Tottenham

Liverpool vs Porto

Basel vs Manchester City

Sevilla vs Manchester United

Real Madrid vs PSG

Chelsea vs Barcelona

Shakhtar Donetsk vs Roma

Besiktas vs Bayern Munich
10 Feb Premier League Newcastle United (A)
UEFA Champions League Sevilla (A)
FA Cup - 5th Round
24 Feb Premier League Chelsea (H)
03 Mar Premier League Crystal Palace (A)
10 Mar Premier League Liverpool (H)
UEFA Champions League Sevilla (H)
17 Mar Premier League West Ham United (A)
The 2nd semi-final of the Carabao Cup is on the 24th January, with the Final on the 25th February.
I fully expect us to get through to the quarter-finals, but it won't be as easy as some are suggesting, you don't win the Europa League three years on the bounce(2014-16) without knowing how to play two-legged affairs.
Not sure about your first point as 07' was a decade ago, and Sevilla have always been a selling club, they'll probably buy in, or already have as good as the three players you've mentioned by February
They did get beat by Leicester City, but it will forever remain a mystery how, Sevilla missed a penalty in each leg and wasted chance after chance in both legs......

There's nowt wrong with the Europa League, I was happy as a pig in s*** when we won it last year, and it had sod all to do with the Champions League qualification off the back of it.
Would've preferred to play at Home first, if we don't score at least 2 in Spain we could have problems. Sadly see Mourinho setting us up to get a 0-0
Don't think one will be enough, even a 0-1
I don't really care what they've done so far this season, they've still got the bulk of the squad that won three Europa League titles on the bounce.
I know that, you know that, but I wouldn't be surprised if Mourinho will be happy with a 0-0, maybe if he knew how tense it get's at Old Trafford in a big Champions League he'd think differently.
Mourinho is old school, draw 0-0 away, win 1 or 2-0 at home, always has been, probably always will be
What, like we did when we played Athletic Bilbao ?
No sure why, they well and truly had our number.
Let's wait until after the match to see if I was mistaken or not eh ?
Well it's better than 0-0 granted, but with a potential 120 minutes in the 2nd leg not so
So, we had a better team back in 2011/12, and Sevilla have a better team than Bilbao did then
Nothing, but it's a similar match-up, most United fans feel all we'll have to do is turn up against Sevilla as they did against Bilbao, how did that work out ?
There's a hell of a lot of different between hope, and expect, put that in your Logic pipe and smoke it ;)
You can add Celta Vigo if you want, another team we should beat because we're mighty Manchester United.

Did they scare the crap out of us in the Europa League last season ?

Well Sevilla are on a different level to them, and if we're not bang at it for 180+ minutes they'll knock us out, nothing surer
I'd rather draw 2-2 in Spain than win 0-1
Oh, yeah because two legged affairs are all about simple maths yeah ?
Oh right, do you not think two away goals are better than one ?
Cheers, thanks for explaining how the away goals rule works.
Have you not heard, flattery gets you nowhere
Just when I thought the questions couldn't get stupider :lol:
Oh right so if I support Sevilla i'd be happier getting beat 0-1 at home than drawing 2-2, have I got that right ??
A serious as can be, i'd have scrapped the away goals rule 20 years ago, it's served it's purpose when it was brought in, but it totally favours the team that plays away second, so yes scoring two away in the first leg is better than scoring one.
Oh feck they're queuing up now, see my reply to MyOnlySolskjaer
But that's obvious, what would be the point of saying that ?

Android1974

Incredibly anal about player positions in lineups
They're playing Leganes tonight for the Cup, but will probably feature their first eleven.

Could be Layún for Navas and a 4-3-3, though.

HankHill

Supports
Ewe Night Tid.
I hope we win this one because, in my opinion, it is better to win than lose.

Android1974

Against Leganes:
Rico
Navas Mercado Lenglet Escudero
N'Zonzi Banega
Sarabia F.Vázquez Correa
Muriel​

Android1974

They do have a niggling high pressing and play very fast.

The crowd in the Sánchez Pizjuán is also impressive in their loud support and are so close to the pitch.

Greck

They do have a niggling high pressing and play very fast.

The crowd in the Sánchez Pizjuán is also impressive in their loud support and are so close to the pitch.
This is our biggest weakness and the biggest worry heading into this tie. Jose's counter to a high press is going long. So far when we've gone long we haven't given ourselves a chance.

"If you(they) want to press the ball all the time, you don't play short. If you are dominant in the air you go long."

Android1974

This is our biggest weakness and the biggest worry heading into this tie. Jose's counter to a high press is going long. So far when we've gone long we haven't given ourselves a chance.

"If you(they) want to press the ball all the time, you don't play short. If you are dominant in the air you go long."
Well, although I agree, still, we won the Europa League like that, precisely. And it was a no contest, really.

Android1974

Sevilla Characteristics
+ Strengths
Coming back from losing positions
Strong
Creating chances through individual skill
Strong
Aerial duels
Strong
Protecting the lead
Strong
Stealing the ball from the opposition
Strong
- Weaknesses
Stopping opponents from creating chances
Weak
Avoiding individual errors
Weak
Defending counter attacks
Weak
Defending set pieces
Weak
Avoiding offside
Very Weak
Defending against skillful players
Very Weak

Sevilla's Style of Play
  • Possession football
  • Attacking down the left
  • Short passes
  • Attempt through balls often
  • Rotate their first eleven

© WhoScored.com

* Strengths, weaknesses and styles are calculated from the current season statistics

Greck

Well, although I agree, still, we won the Europa League like that, precisely. And it was a no contest, really.
You truly believe the longball tactic that had gotten exposed by every decent premiership team is going to win the champions league.

I'd hope we at least be open to mixing things up than hoofing it back to the other team's defenders for 180 mins

Android1974

You truly believe the longball tactic that had gotten exposed by every decent premiership team is going to win the champions league.

I'd hope we at least be open to mixing things up than hoofing it back to the other team's defenders for 180 mins
I truly believe it can be useful in particular games, that's it. For instance, away to Sevilla, that are, apparently, weak defending counter attacks.

MikeKing

Supports
Bournemouth
So are we going to go with a high defensive line from start, attack with intent and go for the early goal, then drop deep when we give up possession and try to counter attack? Sounds good. We will get the early goal then, from a counter!

Really looking forward to the CL's again. This is when it begins

Mush Yusuf

If we are to have any chance in the Champions League this season we need to make a statement and beat these with ease otherwise i think we will struggle and go out in the quarter final stage. i feel we need to attack with intent right from the word go and go for the kill in the first leg maybe come back to OT with a nice 2 goal cushion and a clean sheet and then kill the game off in the second leg early and rest players for the big games upcoming.

Savantona

If anyone has a spare ticket they would like to sell then I'm all ears. If not, then I will be joining in on the singing and drinking downtown before the match :)

In all honesty we should beat them with ease. I guess the only thing in the back of my mind is the fact that league form goes out the window for this one, so their crap perfomances against the likes of Real Betis, Eibar and so forth is irrevelant.

Add in the fact that spirits are high after they just reached the cup final and have nothing to lose in the CL is the only thing that makes this a contest.

Tony Clifton

If Sevilla hit their heights for these two matches we could be in real trouble. Ironically, the consistent thing about them is that they're very inconsistent. Difficult to scout.

In any case, we should advance, and I think we will.

ti vu

It's even detailed in the regalement team who scores more away goals wins, why is it such a difficult concept to grasp for people. @Class of 63 absolutely spot on here.
You can't be serious.

So let say we drew 2-2 away at Seville, then lost 0-1 at home, how scoring more away goals help us here? So that's 2-2 draw is better than 0-1 victory?

Rajma

You can't be serious.

So let say we drew 2-2 away at Seville, then lost 0-1 at home, how scoring more away goals help us here? So that's 2-2 draw is better than 0-1 victory?
You're digging too deep, let's say we win at Sevilla 3-2 but lose at home 2-0 we're still going through as we would have scored more goals away from home mate, that's why it is such a advantage, which can't be underestimated.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
You're digging too deep, let's say we win at Sevilla 3-2 but lose at home 2-0 we're still going through as we would have scored more goals away from home mate, that's why it is such a advantage, which can't be underestimated.
Wait... what? no we aren't. :lol: they would go through 4-3

ti vu

No. Aggregate 3-4 to Sevilla and they're through.

The away goal advantage only kicks in if the aggregate is even.

AngeloHenriquez

Supports
Stevenage
How can people fail to understand this still? Away goals only count when the agg score is even, it's so simple..

Rajma

No. Aggregate 3-4 to Sevilla and they're through.

The away goal advantage only kicks in if the aggregate is even.
It might be true in group stages, but knock-outs are different and away goals become better than the win itself mate, and @Class of 63 was right to point this out for people.

Red4Life_#7

Tough one (Away leg):

Either 4-3-3 to allow Pogba roaming room and more bodies in the midfield or 4-2-3-1 and someone like Martial will be dropped as he doesn't have the workrate and team balance that JM talks about of Sanchez, Lingard and Mata.

I'd prefer 4-3-3, but Herrera has been too inconsistent and McTominay has been brilliant, but these waters might be too deep for the young lad.

------------Lukaku
Sanchez--------------Lingard/Mata

------Pogba
-------------------Herrera
-------------Matic

or

------------Lukaku
---------------------------------
Sanchez---Lingard----Mata

-------Matic-----Pogba---

Android1974

Yesterday, I've noticed Sevilla attacked with a very quick flat line of four guys at the same time, Sarabia, Vázquez, Muriel and Correa, which could justify Mourinho featuring the 3 at the back system in which we excel while away and counterattacking.

haram

Man what :lol:

Edit - ok it’s probably just sarcasm

dirkey

Hilarious that on the previous page you lament people who can't get the basics right, and then you come out with this. Oh the irony .

Revan

Assumptionman
Hilarious that on the previous page you lament people who can't get the basics right, and then you come out with this. Oh the irony .
He is right considering that away goals count double. Essentially, a 3-2 away win is a 6-2 win, while a 0-2 home loss is a 0-4 loss, making the overall result 6-6. In which case, the away goals rule is triggered, and by us scoring 3 (meaning 6) and them scoring just 2 (meaning 4), we win the tie 6-4 and reach the next stage.

He is clearly having a dig at the poster who said that a 2-2 away is better than a 0-1 win.

Last edited:

Rajma

He is right considering that away goals count double. Essentially, a 3-2 away win is a 6-2 win, while a 0-2 home loss is a 0-4 loss, making the overall result 6-6. In which case, the away goals rule is triggered, and by us scoring 3 (meaning 6) and them scoring just 2 (meaning 4), we win the tie 6-4 and reach the next stage.

He is clearly having a dig at the poster who said that a 2-2 away is better than a 0-1 win.
This guy gets it.

breakout67

Supports
Man City
:keano: Almost got me

dirkey

Right, I've read back now and can see what people are referring to.

Between this "I'd rather draw than win away from home" and his comments in another thread stating that Louis was doing a good job, I'm convinced @Class of 63 is a troll account.