Manchester United vs Sevilla | CL R16 Build-up Thread (Return Leg 13 March)

Hamadovich86

Need to score away goals to feel comfortable and control the game at OT. I feel like we'll struggle though, Sevilla will be up for it, hope our players turn up.

B20

HEY EVERYONE I IGNORE SOMEONE LOOK AT ME
Supports
Liverpool
Banega out is a big boost for you
He ran the show against us and on form can turn the screw on any team.

Kapardin

Regardless of our anxieties, can't help feeling excited about a CL game looming midweek:drool:

If we score 2 away goals, it will really put us in the right frame of mind to beat Chelsea. Sevilla really aren't all that, theoretically it should be no tougher than our games against Anderlecht or Celta Vigo last season in the EL, and we now have a stronger squad.

Maradona10

Woodward’s biggest fan
Would love us to play a 4-2-1-2
------------DDGOD-----------
Valencia---smalling-Rojo--Young
-------------Matic-----------------
----Herrera--------Pogba---------
------------Sanchez---------------
--------Lukaku-------Martial------

Everyone in their favourite position, Sanchez free to roam, martial runs the left channel,supported by Pogba. Dont think Bailley will be risked so soon, if we are winning he may come back for 30 mins in the end. I want shaw to play but think Young will get the nod. Herrera helping matic more, Pogba can attack. I do not think we will play this, but would love it if we can.

Redman24

Am i the only one that thinks Sevilla will beat us and beat us easily. look at the game against Huddersfield. they had 55% possession 19 shots and 5 on target while we had 5 shots and 2 on target.

they bossed the whole game, we have no midfield and no leader.

Eire Red United

Am i the only one that thinks Sevilla will beat us and beat us easily. look at the game against Huddersfield. they had 55% possession 19 shots and 5 on target while we had 5 shots and 2 on target.

Yeah I’d say you are..

Ardis

Possession isn't crucial. Under Ranieri, Leicester would "give" possession to the opposite team and still win the game, and eventually the whole league.

RedRom

"Where's Lingard?"

Wow, you really are a negative person!

I see no reason at all why you should be thinking the way that you are, so yes you are entirely on your own here.

RedRom

"Where's Lingard?"
What makes you think that we will beat Sevilla? Sevilla are a better team than Huddersfield and Newcastle, plus we have to play Chelsea also in the same week.
The fact that we are a better side, with better players than Sevilla is not a slight bit of an indication to you that we stand a pretty good chance of winning this match??

Di Maria's angel

Captain of Moanchester United
They've been poor. They've got potential to ship goals in at the back. When the back line has a bad day, it really has a bad day. They struggle to keep clean sheets and often ship in large numbers, over 3 goals. They also score a lot too though which is why they're sitting 5th in La Liga.

They sacked their manager and brought in Vincenzo Montella (former Milan and Fiorentina manager) after his sacking at Milan early this season. They're recognised as the most Italian, Spanish team there is, hence the hiring of an Italian manager, normally not a done thing in La Liga. So don't expect a Spanish looking style of play from this lot. They're cautious and look to exploit the wings, which is where all their pace is. We've definitely got enough quality to get past them. The away tie will be tough but we'll be too much for them at home. A draw or win away will see us through this with ease.
Cheers. We should beat them, to be honest.

SATA

Yeah Las Palmas beat Sevilla 4-1, so Las Palmas themselves should also beat us easily. That's the way how football works

markelphick

Going to be a tough game against a really good Spanish team which generally over the years we've struggled with. Hopefully we can grab an away goal or two to take back to OT.

Nickosaur

Team I would play:

DDG; Valencia, Bailly, Jones, Shaw; Matic, Herrera, Pogba; Mata, Lukaku, Sanchez.

That is, if Bailly and Herrera are fit enough to start.
Mata, Sanchez and Lukaku linked up really well against Huddersfield, would be keen to see them continue together.

Eire Red United

What makes you think that we will beat Sevilla? Sevilla are a better team than Huddersfield and Newcastle, plus we have to play Chelsea also in the same week.
Because we’re a better team than them, man for man. You said Sevilla will beat us easily, as though they’re some kind of peak Barca/Real, but realistically they’re an ok team we should beat comfortably.

Redman24

The fact that we are a better side, with better players than Sevilla is not a slight bit of an indication to you that we stand a pretty good chance of winning this match??
We have better players yes, but that does not make us the better side. This season and last season has shown us that we do not play as team. We lack the basic cohesion, and if any team puts just a little pressure on us we collapse.

mitchmouse

loves to hate United.
all the English clubs have done brilliantly in their first legs... I just have a nasty feeling about us

Smores

A few naming Herrera in their lineups, not sure what he's done to deserve to start iver McTominay

yamo123x

A few naming Herrera in their lineups, not sure what he's done to deserve to start iver McTominay
Because Herrera is far superior player and more experienced,has played in Spain and is good at breaking up play which we so desperately lack when he isnt there. Mctominay is young, the jury is still out for me, he never impressed me in the youth team or u23's and done ok so far in the first team, but i can't help but think that he is being pushed by Jose as a message to the board that he is promoting youth from within our ranks. The lad is a willing trier and has tremendous attitude but he is not a starter for me in a big game like this. Just my opinion.

Nickosaur

He hasn't shown it this season and its a bit of a risk to throw him in assuming he'll recreate last seasons form is it not?
Far more of a risk to throw in McTominay. McTominay looks a decent prospect, but I'm not getting overly excited about a player who can hassle opponents and play it simple. Regardless of form, Herrera can do that and so much more.

Catt

Ole's at the wheel!
They've been poor. They've got potential to ship goals in at the back. When the back line has a bad day, it really has a bad day. They struggle to keep clean sheets and often ship in large numbers, over 3 goals. They also score a lot too though which is why they're sitting 5th in La Liga.

They sacked their manager and brought in Vincenzo Montella (former Milan and Fiorentina manager) after his sacking at Milan early this season. They're recognised as the most Italian, Spanish team there is, hence the hiring of an Italian manager, normally not a done thing in La Liga. So don't expect a Spanish looking style of play from this lot. They're cautious and look to exploit the wings, which is where all their pace is. We've definitely got enough quality to get past them. The away tie will be tough but we'll be too much for them at home. A draw or win away will see us through this with ease.
Thanks for posting this. I have no idea what to expect so hope you are correct.

Ikon

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
Am i the only one that thinks Sevilla will beat us and beat us easily..
No, your not completely alone.
I'm not thinking that we'll get beaten easily, but I don't see us getting a win away in Spain, I think we will have a very difficult evening, and will be set up to play for a draw.

RedRom

"Where's Lingard?"
We have better players yes, but that does not make us the better side. This season and last season has shown us that we do not play as team. We lack the basic cohesion, and if any team puts just a little pressure on us we collapse.
Last season we won two trophies, one of them a European one, so your so called "logic" doesn't stack up at all.

We are the better side no matter how you want to look at things.

RedRom

"Where's Lingard?"
No, your not completely alone.
I'm not thinking that we'll get beaten easily, but I don't see us getting a win away in Spain, I think we will have a very difficult evening, and will be set up to play for a draw.
Okay.....it probably will be a tough match, but really there should not be any reason why we should not come away with a win.

Who Loves ya Bebe

If we dont win this game, then we dont deserve to be there....simple as that! We cant expect to progress into the latter rounds of the Champions League if we are not beating second tier spanish teams!

Wednesday at Stoke

Supports
Time Travel
deGea
Lindelof Smalling Bailly
Valencia Herrera Matic Young
Pogba
Lukaku Sanchez
If Carrick can go again on a short break, insert him ahead of Herrera.

United never give up

Jose is only playing McTominay to live up to our traditions of playing youth, and as a message to the board

Also - Jose still hasn't played McTominay against top opposition yet, its just been cup games/Huddersfield etc

No way will Jose play McTominay, and as we're a serious club we definitely shouldnt be playing him yet in these games

Don't forget it even took Scholes years to be fully played in big European games, he often got overlooked for Butt in big away games at the start

Paul_Scholes18

Going to be a tough game against a really good Spanish team which generally over the years we've struggled with. Hopefully we can grab an away goal or two to take back to OT.
Agree it will not be easy. Sevilla have picked up some better form recently as well.

RMD83

As excited as I am to see us in the knockout stages of the CL again. I’m not holding out much hope that the away leg will be a thriller. I expect Jose to set us up to not be beat whether it garners a negative reaction from sections of the fans and media or not. I’m sure the home tie will be much better and I see us progressing in the end.

daveoliver91

Having a good feeling for this one.
Going for 2-0, Lukaku with the first and Martial to finish it at the last stage of the game.
C'mon lads!

Ardis

Having a good feeling for this one.
Going for 2-0, Lukaku with the first and Martial to finish it at the last stage of the game.
C'mon lads!
Hope your prediction goes through. Hope Lukaku can score or play a crucial role against strong opposition and show that he is developing.