Manchester United vs Sevilla | CL R16 Build-up Thread (Return Leg 13 March)

Class of 63

Sourness
Going through the Desert on a Horse with no Name
Right, I've read back now and can see what people are referring to.

Between this "I'd rather draw than win away from home" and his comments in another thread stating that Louis was doing a good job, I'm convinced @Class of 63 is a troll account.
Psst, you missed the fact i'd have given David Moyes longer as well, and my defence of Fellaini, and..... ;)

Class of 63

Sourness
Going through the Desert on a Horse with no Name
He is right considering that away goals count double. Essentially, a 3-2 away win is a 6-2 win, while a 0-2 home loss is a 0-4 loss, making the overall result 6-6. In which case, the away goals rule is triggered, and by us scoring 3 (meaning 6) and them scoring just 2 (meaning 4), we win the tie 6-4 and reach the next stage. He is clearly having a dig at the poster who said that a 2-2 away is better than a 0-1 win.
Halle-bloody-lujah :lol:

Android1974

Incredibly anal about player positions in lineups
Half-time at home against Girona, playing their first team, without Banega injured, in 4-2-3-1 and drawing right now.

Android1974

Muriel went out injured, looks muscular, like Banega.

Android1974

Sevilla playing Las Palmas away, featuring pretty much their first team, so at least we'll match them on rest. Nolito, Banega and Muriel still injured.

IronCroos37

Matic-Herrera-Pogba(free roamning)
Sanchez-Martial(mobile striker)-Mata

Lingard as impact sub.

Android1974

Another player has gone out with what seems like a muscular injury, Correa.

Alexit

We'll batter this lot. Can't wait.

We didn't know it at the time but Arsenal not qualifying for UCL was a real boost for us. Sanchez will make the world of difference in Europe.

RuudTom83

Lukaku is one of the Jose’s untouchables soni just hope the CL anthem inspires him and we get a performance.

Greck

Lukaku is one of the Jose’s untouchables soni just hope the CL anthem inspires him and we get a performance.
Well during his time at Everton he was publicly agitating to be in the CL. Mentality clearly isn't his weakness but I still wished Jose would be open to different tactical setups with/without Lukaku.

He surely won't become any more popular if we crash out and his big game 'performances' continue. The tactics might not help him either as we might go long to bypass their press

Android1974

Seeing the way Sevilla attack, with a front line of four running players, this is one of the very few games where Mourinho should feature a 3-4-1-2 system, even if the other team doesn't. But that means dropping one of Martial or Lukaku, besides Mata.

redNATION

This won't be comfortable at all. This reminds me of Celta Vigo last season. On paper we should walk all over them, but Jose will set up to defend, giving Sevilla control of the game, and we saw in Juve/Spurs what happens when you give the other team too much of the ball. If there's one tie in this round that has the potential for upset, it's ours (not because we're poor, but because we'll hand the impetus to Sevilla).

bond19821982

Last Man Standing champion 2019/20
Aggressive pressing side. They will target our defence and force us to go long. Smalling should be no where in the squad. Hope Blind gets a nod with Baily and Rojo/Jones.

Infordin

Supports
Barcelona
Banega’s injury is a huge boost for United. He makes Sevilla’s midfield tick.

Now Sevilla will probably play a double pivot of N’Zonzi and Pizarro. Two traditional defensive midfielders. They will be harder to break down, but won’t cause much danger going forward (now that Correa is also injured).

Yedder
Nolito - Vazquez - Sarabia
Pizarro - N’Zonzi
Escuardo - Lenglet - Mercado - Navas
Rico​

Is the most likely lineup.

minoo-utd

Sevilla will surely raise the occasion. We can't play like today they will have confidence and if they score early it will be tough.

SalfordRed1960

Sevilla will surely raise the occasion. We can't play like today they will have confidence and if they score early it will be tough.
Based on how they played Liverpool, pretty sure it is going to be a difficult game. Quietly confident of winning both legs if we don't play cautiously. Just play to win from the off.

alsabi

Sevilla's home kit is all-white, so I'm guessing we'll see a return of the all-black away kit for this one. Or can we wear red with black shorts/socks in the CL as we sometimes do in domestic away games?

Kapardin

Based on how they played Liverpool, pretty sure it is going to be a difficult game. Quietly confident of winning both legs if we don't play cautiously. Just play to win from the off.
Any team can draw 3-3 with Liverpool. Jose's teams are defensively more sound.

Or we were atleast, until recent weeks. But with Bailly back, I think we will see a return of that old steely defense, I thought we did well defending set-pieces today, something of an improvement.

Seven Seas Sardines

Any team can draw 3-3 with Liverpool. Jose's teams are defensively more sound.

Or we were atleast, until recent weeks. But with Bailly back, I think we will see a return of that old steely defense, I thought we did well defending set-pieces today, something of an improvement.
Well, let´s hope Jose thinks Bailly is fit enough in 3 days..

minoo-utd

Hope to see Bailly and Rojo start. And all that Pogba nonesense go to bed by him producing good football if he is fit hopefully. Need to see Sanchez and Martial taking different roles, we need them both on the pitch.

crossy1686

career ending
:lol:
Are people really worried about Sevilla? It'll be easy.
Watched Sevilla play Las Palmas the other day as a bit of homework. Things I noticed:
They like to play the ball down the wings and play triangles into the box.
They got an injury to a key midfielder who will most likely miss the United game.
They like to exploit Jesus Navas' pace down the right side.

All in all, they weren't great and were suspect at the back, gave away a penalty under relatively little pressure and almost gave away a second. They won the game 1-2 in the end but they were far from something we should be concerned about, but then again we thought that about Newcastle!

Seven Seas Sardines

Watched Sevilla play Las Palmas the other day as a bit of homework. Things I noticed:
They like to play the ball down the wings and play triangles into the box.
They got an injury to a key midfielder who will most likely miss the United game.
They like to exploit Jesus Navas' pace down the right side.

All in all, they weren't great and were suspect at the back, gave away a penalty under relatively little pressure and almost gave away a second. They won the game 1-2 in the end but they were far from something we should be concerned about, but then again we thought that about Newcastle!
For sure they'll try to keep Navas high up the pitch to keep Martial or Alexis in defence. Maybe Mourinho will go with Lingard on the left for his defensive contribution..

diplomat

The team needs to be at its' utmost best and play fearlessly from the start or Sevilla will pile on the pressure and I see them winning the first knockout game. I'm sure they are aware of our weaknesses when playing away games and will definitely try to exploit them.

If we play attacking football, I expect a comfortable win by a 2-goal margin.

crossy1686

career ending
Haven't they been a little shit in the La Liga? Didn't Eibar thrash them?
They've been poor. They've got potential to ship goals in at the back. When the back line has a bad day, it really has a bad day. They struggle to keep clean sheets and often ship in large numbers, over 3 goals. They also score a lot too though which is why they're sitting 5th in La Liga.

They sacked their manager and brought in Vincenzo Montella (former Milan and Fiorentina manager) after his sacking at Milan early this season. They're recognised as the most Italian, Spanish team there is, hence the hiring of an Italian manager, normally not a done thing in La Liga. So don't expect a Spanish looking style of play from this lot. They're cautious and look to exploit the wings, which is where all their pace is. We've definitely got enough quality to get past them. The away tie will be tough but we'll be too much for them at home. A draw or win away will see us through this with ease.

RedRom

"Where's Lingard?"
Any team that relies or thinks that Navas is a key or important player we really should be swatting aside.

kr0nix

Won't be easy by any means. Would be happy with a score draw away.

OK777

-------------De Gea-----------
Valencia - Bailly - Rojo - Shaw
----------Matic- Carrick-------
-------------Pogba------------
----Mata - Lukaku - Sanchez-

Shaw 'hopefully' (literally praying) is picked over Young.
Bailly straight back in, need the reassurance in defence after recent performances.
Carrick's class is undoubted, just adds the extra quality and composure just with his presence alone.
Pogba straight back in, no questions asked.
Mata will start due to good performance on weekend, plus his quality and style is more suited to UCL.

RedRom

"Where's Lingard?"
With Dave in net, we should not be settling for a score draw, only really a win by at least a couple of goals should be seen as acceptable.

Giggs86

It's not a proper CL knockout thread in the caf without the annual debate of how away goals work :lol:

Jonno

0-1 written all over this. I strangely trust us more away from home in Europe than at OT these days.

We will let them have the ball, let them play, and we take if off them and Lingard and co will break up the field. Our finishing will be more clinical.