Manchester United vs Sevilla | CL R16 Build-up Thread (Return Leg 13 March)

paulscholes18

I’m quite confident of a win, they have a negative GD and Montella their manager bombed hard at AC Milan.
But as long as it’s no worse then 2-1 Sevilla them we should qualify

groovyalbert

it's a mute point
Hope Lukaku can continue where he left off against Huddersfield. His stats for us this season are quite interesting. PL apps/goals: 26/12, all other comps: 12/9. Man's thriving in cup comps - keep it up big Rom!

Lawman

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
We have better players yes, but that does not make us the better side. This season and last season has shown us that we do not play as team. We lack the basic cohesion, and if any team puts just a little pressure on us we collapse.
We won the EL and a domestic cup and sit 2nd in our league. Ok we are not a well oiled flowing machine no doubt I agree but a little pressure and we collapse? That’s not what is happening buddy come on.

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
Just seen Jones and Rojo ruled out, Bailly and Smalling at CB then?

RedRom

"Where's Lingard?"
Jose is only playing McTominay to live up to our traditions of playing youth, and as a message to the board

Also - Jose still hasn't played McTominay against top opposition yet, its just been cup games/Huddersfield etc

No way will Jose play McTominay, and as we're a serious club we definitely shouldnt be playing him yet in these games

Don't forget it even took Scholes years to be fully played in big European games, he often got overlooked for Butt in big away games at the start
What absolute nonsense, José is playing McTominay because he believes that he is good enough, not for any message to the board or anything like that!
If he thought that McTominay was not good enough then he would not be playing him, you are simply looking for something that just isn't there!

Lawman

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Jose is only playing McTominay to live up to our traditions of playing youth, and as a message to the board

Also - Jose still hasn't played McTominay against top opposition yet, its just been cup games/Huddersfield etc

No way will Jose play McTominay, and as we're a serious club we definitely shouldnt be playing him yet in these games

Don't forget it even took Scholes years to be fully played in big European games, he often got overlooked for Butt in big away games at the start
Is this the same for every other manager or do you have an inside line this is Jose thinking?
Oh and can you ask him if he’s doing the same with Tunzabe TFM Rashford and Lingard whilst you see him. ;)

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
What absolute nonsense, José is playing McTominay because he believes that he is good enough, not for any message to the board or anything like that!
If he thought that McTominay was not good enough then he would not be playing him, you are simply looking for something that just isn't there!
Not sure that's the case either, it's strange that an academy player who wasn't regarded as a particularly good prospect in the youth system gets promoted and is coincidentally the height and build of a Mourinho midfielder. I'm not saying Mourinho doesn't rate him but I don't think it was his talent that got him a call to the first team.

RedDevil@84

Not sure that's the case either, it's strange that an academy player who wasn't regarded as a particularly good prospect in the youth system gets promoted and is coincidentally the height and build of a Mourinho midfielder. I'm not saying Mourinho doesn't rate him but I don't think it was his talent that got him a call to the first team.
It won't be the first time a player gets selected over the other, due to compatibility with the manager's football tactics. Happens all the time.

Lings older than memph

Smalling will start I couldn't be more sure about it. The problem now is his partner. I dont know if I trust Bailly who has just came back after being injured for a few months, and i definitely do not trust Lindelof yet.

United never give up

If he thinks McTominay is good enough why hasn't he played him against serious opposition yet? I'm not saying Jose doesn't rate him, he clearly has attributes the Jose likes - also the lad seems to have a great attitude

However, I just don't see Jose playing him in a big game - he hasn't yet and I don't think he will unless absolutely forced

RedRom

"Where's Lingard?"
If he thinks McTominay is good enough why hasn't he played him against serious opposition yet? I'm not saying Jose doesn't rate him, he clearly has attributes the Jose likes - also the lad seems to have a great attitude

However, I just don't see Jose playing him in a big game - he hasn't yet and I don't think he will unless absolutely forced
He is easing him into the team, just as Sir Alex did with the younger players in their early moments, in due course/time then I firmly believe that McTominay will play and feature in more games as he is a very talented player.
There is nothing wrong with how he is helping him develop as a player.

Cassady

Supports Liverpool, Not Accrington Stanley
Supports
Accrington Stanley.
Watch out for the dibble out there. They are bastards. Leicester , Spurs and Liverpool all had problems with them. Unprovoked pushing and the odd baton across the head stuff.

MikeKing

Supports
Bournemouth
Really happy that we play them in an away-game first. Think we have a bigger chance of scoring a few at their ground than we would have at Old Trafford, with our current form offensively. They will now have to give it a go and try get a goal, while we don't... which i believe will actually result in us getting a few goals on the counter.

Sing you a song

Just st hope we can take a leaf out of Liverpool and City's book and go for it from the off.There is no rule that states European football has to played at a snails pace.
By slowing our game down most English teams in recent years have fallen into the trap Trying to take the Europeans on at there own game and trying to match the Italian / Spanish / German sides something that has never failed to mystify me,these teams are not used to playing at a faster and more aggressive pace ( why I believe most top European teams would find it far tougher if they played week in week out in the EPL).
City and Liverpool went into there most recent games on the front foot with pace and aggression and consequently blew the opposition away.
We can do the same if we go for it

Brightonian

Just st hope we can take a leaf out of Liverpool and City's book and go for it from the off.There is no rule that states European football has to played at a snails pace.
By slowing our game down most English teams in recent years have fallen into the trap Trying to take the Europeans on at there own game and trying to match the Italian / Spanish / German sides something that has never failed to mystify me,these teams are not used to playing at a faster and more aggressive pace ( why I believe most top European teams would find it far tougher if they played week in week out in the EPL).
City and Liverpool went into there most recent games on the front foot with pace and aggression and consequently blew the opposition away.
Hoping for this from Mourinho is a losing game. It just never materialises.

soccerMad

Yap, fast and furious.

Hit them while they still warming up then we can control the game and kill them off.

That should be the tactics used.

Will we see this?

suhaylah

I think Mou will look to play for a draw. Why are Jones and Rojo out btw?

GM K

No, your not completely alone.
I'm not thinking that we'll get beaten easily, but I don't see us getting a win away in Spain, I think we will have a very difficult evening, and will be set up to play for a draw.
Who goes away in a knock phase of a tournament to play for a draw? I think every team goes for a win or a minimum of a draw when they go away. The only difference is how they are set up to play for it. You tend to go all out at home while you tend to be more conservative away. Jose is usually very conservative away but it doesn't mean he tells his players, "We are going there to get a draw", does it? I think if the team gets almost overwhelmed away they seem to be under intense attack, he then closes shop to get a draw

simpandenstore

I am scared that bailly isnt ready and freshed up for a start yet, i surely dont wanna risk he gets injured again, like with Zlatan.

Denis79

Just hope we score 1 away goal tomorrow. This will sound mad but I rather see us lose 2-1 in the first leg than play 0-0. I'm always shit nervous with a 0-0 away result in the first leg.

Canagel

Just hope we score 1 away goal tomorrow. This will sound mad but I rather see us lose 2-1 in the first leg than play 0-0. I'm always shit nervous with a 0-0 away result in the first leg.
Same here. Who can forget how nervy it was when Celta came to town last season? Even a 0-1 result isn't good enough imo. We need at least a 2 goal cushion to take back to OT or a high scoring draw ie 0-2, 1-3, 2-2 etc. I'd rather draw 2-2 than win 0-1. 0-0 would be even worse. I always thought it was better to play the first leg at home anyway. The pressure is on the away side to score not the home side.

Denis79

Same here. Who can forget how nervy it was when Celta came to town last season? Even a 0-1 result isn't good enough imo. We need at least a 2 goal cushion to take back to OT or a high scoring draw ie 0-2, 1-3, 2-2 etc. I'd rather draw 2-2 than win 0-1. 0-0 would be even worse. I always thought it was better to play the first leg at home anyway. The pressure is on the away side to score not the home side.
Also has to do with what mentality you play on the return leg. A 0-0 you have no hurry to score but try to be methodical and BOOM the bastards take the lead in the 60th and you need 2 goals. A 2-1 away loss you start the match attacking and hopefully keep that mentality for most the game.

ti vu

I don't get how high scoring away score is better than 0-1 win? I meant if Sevilla lead in return leg then we have to find the equalizer and open ourselves at then back = risky to Sevilla 's counter. A win, we can concede a goal , yet still maintain the game plan just losing the away advantage while having home crowd to back up.

Last edited:

Greck

There any Chelsea fans that can tell us how Jose has traditionally gone about these ties in the CL?

All I remember is one dude complaining about going defensive when the tie was there for the taking

Nero

I don't get how high scoring away score is better than 0-1 win? I meant if Sevilla led in return leg then we have to find the equalizer and open ourselves at a back = risky to for Sevilla 's counter. A win, we can concede a goal still maintaining the game plan just losing the away advantage while having home crowd to back up.
Yeah. There exists no 2nd leg scoreline that would make a 1st leg score draw more beneficial than a 1-0 victory.

Marcky411

De Gea
Valencia Lindelof Smalling Young
Carrick Matic
Lingard Alexis Pogba
Martial​

Expecting a nervy 2-2, followed by an even nervier 2-1 at Old Trafford
Like your setup, but won't happen, no way is Mourinho leaving Lukaku out. Lukaku instead of Lingard, sad part about Lingard is he was having a great january month and now his form has seemed to drop again.

Sassy Colin

Death or the gladioli!
Aliens are in control of my tagline & location
All the misery trousers on here will likely be on full moan after this one.

Despite what people might think, looking through their SAF tinted spectacles, this is exactly the sort of game that he would play as a pragmatic containment game.

Defend deep and try and nick an away goal on the break. 1-1, hopefully.

Siorac

It does indeed sound mad.
And I hope you're being sarcastic, playing on the earlier insanity displayed in the build-up thread.

Denis79

Despite what people might think, looking through their SAF tinted spectacles, this is exactly the sort of game that he would play as a pragmatic containment game.

I'd be very happy with that result. Going to be a tough game and we always struggled vs Spanish sides.

Siorac

Also has to do with what mentality you play on the return leg. A 0-0 you have no hurry to score but try to be methodical and BOOM the bastards take the lead in the 60th and you need 2 goals. A 2-1 away loss you start the match attacking and hopefully keep that mentality for most the game.
And then they hit you on the counter and boom, you need three goals instead of just two.

TRD

De Gea
Valencia Bailly(if fit)/Lindelof Smalling Shaw
Matic
Mata Pogba
Sanchez Lukaku Martial

If Jose wants to start Martial, then he should play at left with Sanchez at right.

Play Mata in midfield. His understanding with Sanchez is great. He might not be strong but his tactical abilities can open up their defense.

I am going with a routine 2-0 win for us.

Oscie

Yep. He'd have no hesitation packing the midfield and hope to nick it by a goal on the counter.

Ainu

I can't believe there are still people out there who'd take a scoring loss over a scoreless draw. This madness has to end.

Oscie

I can't believe there are still people out there who'd take a scoring loss over a scoreless draw. This madness has to end.
It's to set themselves up to be able to criticise if it is a goalless draw. Not that if we lose the criticism would be any less. Even if we win unless we win in the 'right' way some people won't be happy.

Samid

He's no Bilal Ilyas Jhandir
But away goals are doubled? Losing 4-3 away actually means you've won 4-6 which is miles better than a goalless draw.

Denis79

And then they hit you on the counter and boom, you need three goals instead of just two.
Anything can happen and ofcourse I know a draw is better than a loss however you turn it, just saying why I personally dislike the 0-0 away. We've all sat there watching teams cruise calmly with a 0-0 in the bag from away and when they concede that first goal they find it very hard to switch to a more attacking stance, sometimes they fail completely. It's easier to start a game with an attacking plan than switch to it in the 60th 70th minute.

I rather concede a goal in a game where the main game plan is attacking and the team is set up for it. Just better for my nerves and sanity

Last edited: