Kick-off
Wed, 24 June 2020 @ 6:00pm BST
Status

Closed

Discussion Your Lineup Prediction

• Status
    Not open for further replies.

Bondi77

We've got to stop starting with James and bringing on Greenwood for the last 15 minutes. Do it the other way round and perhaps James's pace might be useful towards the end of the game when legs are getting tired.
    I think Greenwood should at least be getting 30 minutes in a game but your point about James pace being an asset when the opposition are tired??....it is an asset for the whole game as no one would keep up with him if he used it more often but he seems reluctant to do so.

TrustInJanuzaj

'Liverpool are a proper club'
    What does Greenwood have to do to deserve a start? I know he’s young but the whole point is that if you’re good enough you’re old enough. He’s a class act and he showed that off the bench against Spurs, I think he deserves a chance against Sheffield.

romufc

What does Greenwood have to do to deserve a start? I know he’s young but the whole point is that if you’re good enough you’re old enough. He’s a class act and he showed that off the bench against Spurs, I think he deserves a chance against Sheffield.
    Exactly, he cannot even say that he is over worked. Everyone has had 3 months off.

I would like to see Ole really go for this, put an attacking line up.

This game could be win or bust in terms of top 4. If we do not win, it will be down to his team selection imo.

Lynty

It would have been silly to start him against spurs. Nobody expected them to sit back that much - as they really needed the win. Not losing was our priority, considering we've got an easy run now. James was the safer bet defensively.

Yes Pogba and Greenwood should have come on earlier, and that's a fair criticism of Ole since day 1.

They'll both start the next game, if they don't then we can start scratching our heads.

Mr Smith

Going to be harder and harder to justify keeping him on the bench as he continues to perform, especially against some of the weaker sides. His strike rate is insane. With Sheffield as short as they are, it's a great opportunity for him to fill his boots.

Sassy Colin

Death or the gladioli!
    Aliens are in control of my tagline & location
    I think Greenwood should at least be getting 30 minutes in a game but your point about James pace being an asset when the opposition are tired??....it is an asset for the whole game as no one would keep up with him if he used it more often but he seems reluctant to do so.
    I'm struggling to see any of James's assets, I'm afraid.

TrustInJanuzaj

'Liverpool are a proper club'
    It would have been silly to start him against spurs. Nobody expected them to sit back that much - as they really needed the win. Not losing was our priority, considering we've got an easy run now. James was the safer bet defensively.

Yes Pogba and Greenwood should have come on earlier, and that's a fair criticism of Ole since day 1.

They'll both start the next game, if they don't then we can start scratching our heads.
    I have no complaints with him coming off the bench against Spurs, I’ve got more of an issue with posters putting bloody Mata in the team over Greenwood even after a really impressive cameo the other day. He’s a young player, but he’s also an elite talent and at some point we have to put greater responsibility on him too.

Lynty

I have no complaints with him coming off the bench against Spurs, I’ve got more of an issue with posters putting bloody Mata in the team over Greenwood even after a really impressive cameo the other day. He’s a young player, but he’s also an elite talent and at some point we have to put greater responsibility on him too.
    Oh ye I agree then

Asking a 32 year old to play off the wing after 100 days without a competitive match, against a team 2 points behind us in contention for top 4 without anyone seeing him in training. Armchair tacticians.

Nou_Camp99

what would Souness do?
    We really could do with giving 2 or 3 teams an absolute hiding too. This could all come down to GD for us. We need to start taking chances and making good decisions in the final third.

Greenwood would start every PL game of the season for me now. He's dynamite that kid and always feel a goal is coming with him.

Handré1990

Really looking forward to the game. Hopefully more of what we saw in the 2nd half vs Spurs, and a little more composure from our defence.

Offside

Euro 2016 sweepstake winner
    If we score first I back us but if we concede a scrappy as feck goal and are spending the game chasing it I can only see a draw or defeat. We need to take control of games.

Hoof the ball

Exactly, he cannot even say that he is over worked. Everyone has had 3 months off.

I would like to see Ole really go for this, put an attacking line up.

This game could be win or bust in terms of top 4. If we do not win, it will be down to his team selection imo.
    I don't even understand the argument commonly used that a young player should play fewer because of burnout. Teenagers have a higher capacity for endurance-based sport than 20+ year olds. If anything, it's an older player who is more likely to suffer burnout than Mason Greenwood. The only argument to the contrary is that a teenager is psychologically less developed, but even then it's tenuous, since you can have strong teenage personality and mental strength and weak mid-20's mental strength.

romufc

I don't even understand the argument commonly used that a young player should play fewer because of burnout. Teenagers have a higher capacity for endurance-based sport than 20+ year olds. If anything, it's an older player who is more likely to suffer burnout than Mason Greenwood. The only argument to the contrary is that a teenager is psychologically less developed, but even then it's tenuous, since you can have strong teenage personality and mental strength and weak mid-20's mental strength.
    No this argument is used as an excuse. Why is it that when a Ronaldo, Messi, Rooney, Rashford, Mbappe comes through, they are immune to burnout? These players played from the age of 17, starting for club / country let alone getting 4 PL starts and getting burnt out.

Van Piorsing

Lost his light sabre
    Mandatory 3 points and if needed more confidence at the back get Romero on the pitch as he did well in the past... just secure that win, ffs.

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
    Very worried about this one, wouldn't surprise me if squad rotation comes into it and Pogba starts but Bruno's on the bench or some such madness

I fear another 1-1 draw

Ronaldo's Mum Eh?

Ronaldo is shite
    Very worried about this one, wouldn't surprise me if squad rotation comes into it and Pogba starts but Bruno's on the bench or some such madness

I fear another 1-1 draw
    squad rotation???? We just had 3 months off!!!!

If our players are tired then we need new players going forward. I don't care if we have FA cup on saturday and then a league game midweek. We have 5 subs to play with and players who need game time now to start gelling.

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley

If our players are tired then we need new players going forward. I don't care if we have FA cup on saturday and then a league game midweek. We have 5 subs to play with and players who need game time now to start gelling.
    It's obviously nothing to do with players being tired but more avoiding injuries with the quick turn around in games

Ronaldo's Mum Eh?

Ronaldo is shite
    It's obviously nothing to do with players being tired but more avoiding injuries with the quick turn around in games
    That's why we have a big squad. Injuries should be no excuses if Ole rests players tomorrow to avoid potential injuries then he is a coward.

Bruno and Pogba should be starting tomorrow 100%

United Hobbit

Just seen the mosaic they've done on most of the seats at Old Trafford it looks fantastic. Looks like the stadium is full, the "free" sections are dedicated to thanking the NHS.

sglowrider

Thinks the caf is 'wokeish'.

Rotate to avoid injuries like what they have been facing in the early rounds of the bundeslega. 250% increase.

Brightonian

Ighalo has been here since January, he’s never been swapped from one league game to the next due to ‘rotation’. He’ll be rotated against Norwich in the FA Cup, as has been custom so far. You make it sound as if we don’t have a first choice striker and we go into each league game with a ‘different strokes for different folks’ approach. I’m not sure we do, Martial has started every league game he’s been fit for all season as far as I can recall.
    No, I agree we don't do that normally and I wouldn't suggest it. I'm just saying in this unusual situation where we're going to play a lot of games over a short space of time, there will be an unusual amount of rotation. It won't just be the best team in every single game except cup ties.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
    No, I agree we don't do that normally and I wouldn't suggest it. I'm just saying in this unusual situation where we're going to play a lot of games over a short space of time, there will be an unusual amount of rotation. It won't just be the best team in every single game except cup ties.
    True that.

Random Task

WW Lynchpin
    Got a feeling Ole is going to change it up tomorrow night and go with an attacking variant of 3-5-2.

Something like this:

DDG

Lindelof Maguire Bailly

AWB-------------------------------------Shaw

Pogba Mctom Bruno

Rashford Martial

There is so much ability in that team that If it clicks, it could prove to be the catalyst for a storming end to the season.

UnofficialDevil

Anti Scottish and Preoccupied with Donkeys.
    I'm not anti Scottish, I just wanted Moyes out.
    Got a feeling Ole is going to change it up tomorrow night and go with an attacking variant of 3-5-2.

Something like this:

DDG

Lindelof Maguire Bailly

AWB-------------------------------------Shaw

Pogba Mctom Bruno

Rashford Martial

There is so much ability in that team that If it clicks, it could prove to be the catalyst for a storming end to the season.
    Not 5 defenders again for christs sake, not at home against Shefield

Gasolin

So frustrating we did not score the winning goal against Spurs. Now if we won, we would have been 1 pt behind Leicester, 1 pt!!! It infuriates me to see us missing occasions like that when clearly we've been doing a lot of good things in term of pts.

Let's win tomorrow and get back to 6 pts to Leicester, and hope for another Leicester draw next game. And see how Chelsea fares.

diarm

This is going to look good I reckon - better than most of what I've seen in other stadiums anyway.

SadlerMUFC

Thinks for himself
    We have to go for the jugular on this one. All out attack as they will be sitting back as they are missing a few key players and will try to defend as a unit. I fully expect midfield rotation so:

------------------------------De Gea (last chance)------------
    AWB------------Bailey-----------------Maguire---------Shaw
    ----------------------------------Matic--------------------------------
    ------------------Fernandes--------Pogba-------------------
    Greenwood--------------Martial------------------Rashford

Our game after this is the FA Cup where I fully expect Romero to get the nod. If De Gea has another brain fart and Romero has a good game then Ole is going to have a big decision to make...

lex talionis

No squad rotation affecting Pogba and/or Bruno tomorrow, unless we open up a huge lead and can rest them. I'm going with Matic, who can come off for McTominay, who should start against Norwich over the weekend.

RedDevilRoshi

Greenwood and Pogba have to start. Both made a big positive impact when they came on. Would like to see a natural DM come in which is obviously Matic which will allow Pogba to get much further forward to support Bruno and the front 3. Absolutely huge must win game tomorrow.

Starting XI

De Gea

Wan-Bissaka
    Lindelof
    Maguire
    Shaw

Matic
    Pogba

Greenwood
    Fernandes
    Rashford

Martial