Sat, 12 February 2022 @ 12:30pm GMT
Status

Closed

Discussion Your Lineup Prediction

• Status
    Not open for further replies.

Ayoba

Poster of Noncense.
    You know things are bad when people are nervous about facing southampton at home :lol: (rightly so I might add!)

Christ how the mighty manchester united have fallen!

VidaRed

Unimaginative FC
    You know things are bad when people are nervous about facing southampton at home :lol: (rightly so I might add!)

Christ how the mighty manchester united have fallen!
    I'd be scared even if utd played the Caf Matchday Thread XI.

DevTheRed

Weirdly nervous about this one given that we have been performing well as of late.. unfortunately the finishing (and VAR) has just been absolutely shocking.

De Gea
    Dalot Lindelof Varane Telles
    McTominay
    Bruno Pogba
    Sancho Ronaldo Elanga
    Maguire needs to be taken out, if he can't perform well against a team that suits him in Burnley then he has no hope against a high pressing Southampton side. I think this is probably our strongest XI at the moment (Telles over Shaw is debatable), and I think we need to stick with it for a while and gain some momentum.

It's genuinely been years since I 100% knew what our strongest XI is.. and that is mind blowing in itself :houllier:

groovyalbert

it's a mute point
    This will be the match Southampton will have been looking out for when the fixture list was announced. They'll be desperate to set the record straight after last season, and following their win at Spurs I wouldn't put it past them.

Expect Hasenhuttl to be in tears a la post-Liverpool last season.

James35

Think a loss is incoming rather than we suddenly find the ability to score more than one goal. Think we will get done over on set pieces and no doubt some calamity defending by slab head and co.

Nou_Camp99

what would Souness do?
    It's quite incredible we are still even in with a good chance of getting 4th. This season has seen more turmoil than even the year under Moyes.

We are very lucky the others are so poor. However I still don't think we will get top 4. There's far too many players still not at it and it's almost like the coaching team don't even know how to fix this mess.

MyOnlySolskjaer

Creator of Player Performance threads
    It's quite incredible we are still even in with a good chance of getting 4th. This season has seen more turmoil than even the year under Moyes.

We are very lucky the others are so poor. However I still don't think we will get top 4. There's far too many players still not at it and it's almost like the coaching team don't even know how to fix this mess.
    Feel we're really going to regret bottling the run of games we had. It's going to get really intense after the Champions League game vs Atletico.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist

Yeah, worst case is we are 3 points off Spurs and Arsenal after games in hand are played. And I think there's a big confidence boost to come from us once we get a good win (Atletico game?). Arsenal though will have a nightmare end to the season with all the games to fill in, Chelsea and Liverpool games being rescheduled too.

I don't think we'll do it ultimately, neither Spurs or Arsenal have European football to distract them, but as long as we show progress, that's fine.

The Brown Bull

It's Coming Home.
    Yeah, worst case is we are 3 points off Spurs and Arsenal after games in hand are played. And I think there's a big confidence boost to come from us once we get a good win (Atletico game?). Arsenal though will have a nightmare end to the season with all the games to fill in, Chelsea and Liverpool games being rescheduled too.

I don't think we'll do it ultimately, neither Spurs or Arsenal have European football to distract them, but as long as we show progress, that's fine.
    We won’t have any such distraction soon enough.

BuzzKillington

Played one game since his comeback and was our best defender, not been seen since. Please can we put Jones in for this one and see if he can carry on his form.

Ollie Derbyshire

Looking forward to this one, we’ve been playing much better of late and this is another tricky game to see if we can keep the improvements going. Would be nice to play Lindleof instead of Maguire cause he’s making so many mistakes but if we take our chances that shouldn’t matter too much. Same team as the last one apart from that.

3-1. we have to start scoring eventually!!

Lee565

Please for the love of god play Jones, whether than be in defence with varane or as our defensive midfielder, he is better than Maguire or lindelof in defence or matic or mctominay as a defensive midfielder.

I hope neither cavani or ronaldo start and go with a more flexible front 3

bosnian_red

We won’t have any such distraction soon enough.
    Eh, i think if we get knocked out to Atletico then we have no chance in the league. Our only hope to getting a run would be getting a good result in a tie like that to inspire them.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
    Yeah, I sure hope the only professional centre-back capable of losing an aerial duel against Warwick Davis is back. Having him deal with Ward-Prowse's pinpoint crosses will turn out well, I'm sure.
    Truly shows how bad Maguire has been doesn't it!

Though I'm certain some fans still think Moyes would have been quality here and didn't get enough times.

Varane around town

You may say that I'm a dreamer

But I do believe that we're due to give a team a hiding at some point soon. It could well be tomorrow...

Kaos

Its not long ago we spanked these 9-0, with Ole as manager no less. We should win this.

But again we should have won against Boro and Burnley too. Let's just hope our strikers have remembered how to finish and VAR doesn't feck us over for the third game in a row.

Rightnr

Wants players fined for winning away.
    2-2 for me. I was right about Burnley, hope they prove me wrong...

freddie the red

James.
    Ward.
    Prowse.
    We can't afford to give any of those 3 the same space Spuds gave them for those crosses for the 2 copycat headed goals!

Ludens the Red

Be surprised if we win this. They’re just the type of annoying team who’s style of play might overwhelm us.

bosnian_red

I don’t understand this thinking.
    You don't understand the thinking that a good big result can act as a spring board for their confidence? So much of football is mental.
    If we get knocked out of the CL, the season will be over for the players. You think they'll be able to get themselves up and get into good form for a few months with pretty much nothing to play for with an interim manager? The only hope we have is to get inspired as a team, and that's through a big CL result pretty much. Nothing else will work long term.

always_hoping

we're due one match where it comes together. we just need to take our chances and we'll be good. seems easier said than done lately, but its pretty simple.
    Law of averages would say yes but as right now i wouldn't place any money on United to win this game.

steve.crowford

A must win game. Southampton was rampant against Tottenham and given that we conceded while our opponents had very few chances it doesn't look good to us.
    I'm not confident for this game. We bottled the games against Burnley, Wolves, Villa and Newcastle. We threw our games we had in hand and dropped so many points already and we haven't even faced one of the top teams in the second leg of the league yet. I'm worried man.

RedChisel

Southampton are a well drilled side with players who actually give a shit, they have the best set piece taker in the league.

Our sack of useless egos will get their arse handed to them.

mitchmouse

loves to hate United.
    I'd love to see Ronaldo and Cavani starting together with CR7 out wide. But it won't happen. at least (according to the papers), Ralf has recognised we need a goal-scorer

Status
    Not open for further replies.
Post-match discussion

Man of the Match

Jadon Sancho image Jadon Sancho 69% of 204 votes

Runners-up

Player Ratings

5.0 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 234 ratings.

Score Predictions