Wed, 4 December 2019 @ 7:30pm GMT
Status

Closed

Discussion Your Lineup Prediction

• Status
    Not open for further replies.

Withnail

Agreed,
    Can't call yourself a fan if you want the team you support to lose, unless it stops Liverpool winning the league of course!!
    Can't see anything other than a Spurs win tonight but as you say we still have a good chance,
    Martial and McT are both massive losses but I expect Greenwood to start to signal Oles intent and I would like to see Lingard play a more central role as I thing we are going to need his energy tonight.
    If Greenwood does start it should be through the middle with Rashford staying on the left. Rashford hasn't been at all effective through the middle.

I'm not keen on Lingard but he'll at least give energy as you say and we'll need to press them which he can do.

Withnail

Doesn't take much brain power to understand a fan who wants short term pain for long term gain.

I want us to win but i completely understand people wanting us to lose to get rid of ole. Performances have been utter shite going way back into last season, 4 wins all of this season. Things are grim. A loss for a chance of what many see as a neccessary change? Like i say, doesn't require much brain power to get your head round it.

Are they any less of a fan than someone who hopes we limp along into mediocrity because the manager is an ex player? I'd say no.
    Why are you framing it as a choice between wanting the team to lose vs wanting to limp on in mediocrity?

It's Spurs managed by Mourinho at Old Trafford.

Everyone should want us to twat them regardless of whether the manager is the man to take the team forward.

Inigo Montoya

Leave Wayne Rooney alone!!
    not sure why everyone is going 3 at the back. Ok if Martial is out then we will probably play Rashford, James and Lingard anyhow. McTom is supposed to be back. Think we will go 4-3-3
    De Gea
    AWB Lindelof Magure Young

McTom is supposed to be back?
    Touch and go with him

RedDevilRoshi

Really hope McTominay is available for this as can’t bare to see another Pereira-Fred partnership in the midfield. I’m not feeling confident about this but I’ve said that plenty of times in the past, particularly this season (Leicester, Arsenal & Liverpool) and we’ve got a result. Hoping for more of the same.

Starting XI

De Gea

Wan-Bissaka
    Tuanzebe
    Maguire
    Shaw

McTominay
    Fred

James
    Lingard (unfortunately don’t have anyone else)
    Rashford

Greenwood

subs:
    Romero
    Lindelof
    Young
    Garner
    Levitt
    Mata
    Pereira

Looks an absolute shambles of a team I know, but we don’t really have anyone else. Comes back on Ole and the board for failing to see that we were very short in the midfield and forwards department yet didn’t see the need to address it this past summer which is just shambolic!

Score Prediction:
    Manchester United 2-1 Tottenham (more in hope than expectation)

Last edited:

FrankDrebin

Don't call me Shirley
    Supports
    USA Manchester Red Socks
    If Greenwood does start it should be through the middle with Rashford staying on the left. Rashford hasn't been at all effective through the middle.

I'm not keen on Lingard but he'll at least give energy as you say and we'll need to press them which he can do.
    Dont forget Movement.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
    Personally think we will go back to being a diamond.

DDG, Shaw, Maguire, Lindelof, AWB, Fred, Pereira, Lingard, Mata, James, Rashford.

*maybe one of Matic / Mctominay if they've recovered in time.

OleTheGreat

Chelsea were a far better club with a great manager and eventually became champions while United were a step down in quality despite us having Pogba and Zlatan. This time around, Spurs are better quality on paper and United are even worse than before with an out of depth manager. I don't think the scenarios are comparable and I don't necessarily buy into the argument that Mourinho will pull off a masterclass just because he knows our players well. I think it's more to do with us being shit.
    Mourinho knows nothing about the potential of our players and a lot has changed since the inclusion of Maguire, AWB and James. I think we can give them a good game if we just turn up and play FOOTBALL. :D We cannot be scared of Mourinho, his ideas are defensive and we need to just go out there and put pressure on them from the get go! Until today, we have turned up against the top 6 sides. We put Chelsea out of their misery twice and held Liverpool at home. I think we can do a job over Spurs. This is all being optimistic on my part, i understand many wouldn't feel the same but as a Man Utd supporter, i cannot not be optimistic that the we'll ride the tide sometimes even if we are underdogs on paper.

pacifictheme

Why are you framing it as a choice between wanting the team to lose vs wanting to limp on in mediocrity?
    Responding to the previous poster. Obviously the ideal option is we win and ole is the man to take us forward but honeymoon period aside there is absolutely no evidence that he is capable of doing that.

Everyone should want us to twat them regardless of whether the manager is the man to take the team forward.
    Them being managed by jose is irrelevant. I much preferred his tenure over oles personally. As much as i want us to win i think a win will delay what needs to happen. Lose the next two and get poch in... can see why people want that to happen.

Personally i think we'll get a maximum of 3 points, probably less, and still have ole in charge.

croadyman

Any idea what time the team is due to arrive tonight,obviously they didn't stay in the hotel last night as there was no squad announced.

Shimo

If Martial is unavailable, would be silly to start Greenwood. He'll get eaten alive by the Spurs CBs, he doesn't have the physicality yet. It was bad with Rashford as striker, it will be worse with Greenwood. Can't see him holding up the ball and bringing others into play.

It's not a slight on Greenwood as he just isn't ready to be a starter yet at the top level, he will get goals when in a pinch but, being objective, watching games he has played there isn't enough yet in his all around play to suggest he should be starting.

What did work when Martial was out was having James/Rashford up top - so probably line up

DDG
    Lindelof, Maguire, Tuanzebe
    AWB, McT (Perreira if injured), Fred,Lingard,Shaw
    James, Rashford

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.

Sterling Archer

That's your mistake right there.

SadlerMUFC

Thinks for himself
    Where were we you when this happened?

And this was the last time we lined up with a 4-4-2 and Young actually playing in his proper position as a winger and Herrara doing a Park Ji-Sung as a defensive winger man marking Hazard. The only time we have seen a 4-4-2 since (other than the diamond) was for 10 minutes vs Sheffield United when we scored 2 quick goals to take the lead. But of course we will line up as a 4-2-3-1 over and over again even though it just doesn't work with the shitty players we have in the #10...

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
    Mourinho about to sack the man that replaced him. Poetic.

Jaap

De Gea
    Lindelöf Maguire Tuanzebe
    AWB McTominay Fred Young
    Lingard
    Rashford Martial

Very likely starting XI. Going for a one-one draw (Rashford, Son) with United winning & conceding before half-time.

I Am Zlatan

We seem to know how to raise our game, just like how people thought we’d get thrashed by Liverpool, we could’ve won that.. I see a narrow win, or a tie, I don’t think we’ll lose this one.

Shark

@NotShark
    We seem to know how to raise our game, just like how people thought we’d get thrashed by Liverpool, we could’ve won that.. I see a narrow win, or a tie, I don’t think we’ll lose this one.
    My feeling too, we're basically the Liverpool of old but even worse. We'll raise our game and buy Ole some more ultimately pointless time.

RedDevil-85

Disappointing if Martial is out again.
    Good to see Mctominay back,hope he is fit enough to start or else we will definitely get spanked.
    Still think we will lose though

red4ever 79

De Gea
    Lindelöf Maguire Tuanzebe
    AWB McTominay Fred Young
    Lingard
    Rashford Martial

Very likely starting XI. Going for a one-one draw (Rashford, Son) with United winning & conceding before half-time.
    Yup, I have gone for that. Only question mark is if Tuanzebe plays or Perriera

Tom Cato

Godt nyttår!
    Imagine if this team could have ONE game with a healthy lineup. That'd be the dream. All we are doing is chasing injuries all seaon.

Thiagoal

There’s no possible way we start with a midfield two of Fred and Pereira after the last two league games! I’m hoping Scott is fit and if not we need some muscle in midfield! Quite remarkable but I think tonight’s result will largely be determined by whether or not McT starts

I Am Zlatan

My feeling too, we're basically the Liverpool of old but even worse. We'll raise our game and buy Ole some more ultimately pointless time.
    I’m in the Ole out camp, but I can those sort of matches keeping him little longer, but ultimately he’ll get the sack.

As much as I want Ole out, we have to start winning, whether it’s with Ole or not, for our sake and us attracting players next season. I just hope the board would be more proactive.

Bastian

Supports
    Mejbri
    Think he'll go with
    ----------------------de Gea
    AWB-----Lindelof------Maguire-----Young
    ----McTominay---Fred---Pereira
    ----------------------Lingard
    ---James--------------------------Rashford

Personally, I'd like
    --------------------de Gea
    AWB---Tuanzebe---Maguire---Williams
    ----McTominay--Garner--Fred
    James------Greenwood-----Rashford

Florida Man

Cartoon expert and crap superhero
    Mourinho knows nothing about the potential of our players and a lot has changed since the inclusion of Maguire, AWB and James. I think we can give them a good game if we just turn up and play FOOTBALL. :D We cannot be scared of Mourinho, his ideas are defensive and we need to just go out there and put pressure on them from the get go! Until today, we have turned up against the top 6 sides. We put Chelsea out of their misery twice and held Liverpool at home. I think we can do a job over Spurs. This is all being optimistic on my part, i understand many wouldn't feel the same but as a Man Utd supporter, i cannot not be optimistic that the we'll ride the tide sometimes even if we are underdogs on paper.
    I mean I'm typically optimistic too and I always want us to win once the game starts. I wouldn't put it past this team to get a result. It's just that we seem to only do relatively well when teams have a go at us and opens themselves up to the counter. I doubt Mourinho will set up to allow that from us. He also has a better team to work with and they are on their new managerial bounce while our manager situation is rather sour. We shall see.

wolvored

I think mou will want to make a statement here and go with an attacking formation. I can see this being an heavy defeat and even heavier on Saturday, and by Monday Ole will either have a new role, or will be gone altogether.

OleTheGreat

I mean I'm typically optimistic too and I always want us to win once the game starts. I wouldn't put it past this team to get a result. It's just that we seem to only do relatively well when teams have a go at us and opens themselves up to the counter. I doubt Mourinho will set up to allow that from us. He also has a better team to work with and they are on their new managerial bounce while our manager situation is rather sour. We shall see.
    It's true but now that we're under pressure and Ole knows he cannot lose these 2 games, i think we'll go out and give it everything which must be exciting to watch!

Bwuk

I think we’ll go 3 at the back and hope for a lucky counter tbh.

Dave
    Axel - Maguire - Lindelof
    AWB - McTominay - Fred - Young
    Lingard
    Rashford - James​

Withnail

I think mou will want to make a statement here and go with an attacking formation. I can see this being an heavy defeat and even heavier on Saturday, and by Monday Ole will either have a new role, or will be gone altogether.
    Mourinho? An attacking formation?

Has he ever done this?

Sky1981

Fending off the urge
    If Martial is unavailable, would be silly to start Greenwood. He'll get eaten alive by the Spurs CBs, he doesn't have the physicality yet. It was bad with Rashford as striker, it will be worse with Greenwood. Can't see him holding up the ball and bringing others into play.

It's not a slight on Greenwood as he just isn't ready to be a starter yet at the top level, he will get goals when in a pinch but, being objective, watching games he has played there isn't enough yet in his all around play to suggest he should be starting.

What did work when Martial was out was having James/Rashford up top - so probably line up

DDG
    Lindelof, Maguire, Tuanzebe
    AWB, McT (Perreira if injured), Fred,Lingard,Shaw
    James, Rashford
    This. Not many 17 yo are built to withstand tackles from international level defenders.

Sky1981

Fending off the urge
    I think we’ll go 3 at the back and hope for a lucky counter tbh.

Dave
    Axel - Maguire - Lindelof
    AWB - McTominay - Fred - Young
    Lingard
    Rashford - James​
    The irony, we sacked Jose because he's defensive and because we thinks Ole's an attacking manager. Now it's Old Trafford and we're playing counter attack

Status
    Not open for further replies.
Post-match discussion

Man of the Match

Marcus Rashford image Marcus Rashford 74% of 443 votes

Runners-up

Player Ratings

6.6 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 430 ratings.

Score Predictions