Manchester United Women - Silly Season - Summer 2024 edition

top1whoisman

Meet the press(conference)
Scout
True, it's Skinner after all. I don't know how serious he was with those quotes, but he seemed to see her as a big part of his plans going forward. But he is weird. Signed a world champion just to not use her at all, amongst other things.
Yeah he says a lot of things about a lot of players. I don’t doubt it, naturally he rates her but… well, we all know the issue.

Ubik

Nothing happens until something moves!
Can't see it, seems the Scholes type that would miss the drizzle within a month or two.

top1whoisman

Scout
Can't see it, seems the Scholes type that would miss the drizzle within a month or two.
I think she might want to experience something else at some stage, but not yet. Could also be an agent trying to get a wage hike for her after a good season (ending).

jojojo

JoJoJoJoJoJoJo
Staff
Welcome to Manchester reception committee
:nervous:

It's not a connection I was expecting to see and it's certainly not one that I want to see.

It's still my instinct that if Ella believes she can win things at United, she'll want to stay. Like @Ubik I see her as someone who would be content to stay close to home and family.

I wonder if she believes we are on on track to being winners though. If the apparent disarray around contract offers being made and withdrawn and offers being made late or not at all last season is accurate and if another version of it is being repeated now - I can see her having doubts.

That's leaving aside any doubts she might be having about the club's commitment to catching up with the topclubs, or Skinner's abilities to lead.

top1whoisman

Scout
It's not a connection I was expecting to see and it's certainly not one that I want to see.

It's still my instinct that if Ella believes she can win things at United, she'll want to stay. Like @Ubik I see her as someone who would be content to stay close to home and family.

I wonder if she believes we are on on track to being winners though. If the apparent disarray around contract offers being made and withdrawn and offers being made late or not at all last season is accurate and if another version of it is being repeated now - I can see her having doubts.

That's leaving aside any doubts she might be having about the club's commitment to catching up with the to clubs, or Skinner's abilities to lead.
Yeah to be fair @Ubik she does love Tyldesley.

Demon Barber

I do not think she will be flattered by any Barcelona interest. She knows she's good enough.

Like others have said she is a Manc/Northern/family lass and she'll stay. Plus, her "bestie" sought bigger and better and won absolutely nothing!

Arguing against myself here, but both Toone and Earps should be playing CL football. Hopefully they have confidence in United going forward.

top1whoisman

Scout
I do not think she will be flattered by any Barcelona interest. She knows she's good enough.

Like others have said she is a Manc/Northern/family lass and she'll stay. Plus, her "bestie" sought bigger and better and won absolutely nothing!

Arguing against myself here, but both Toone and Earps should be playing CL football. Hopefully they have confidence in United going forward.
Repeating myself here, but the wages are in a way a bigger factor in women’s football. Not many female footballers make big money in the way all top tier or even 2nd-3rd division male players do. In the ”will never have to do anything ever again, nor will my kids” bracket.

So i̶f̶ when Barca offers a lot more than we do, anything is possible.

I don’t think she’ll leave at this stage though. But failing to get to the Champions League for a couple of seasons, that could change.

Ubik

Should be going out of the season after winning the first trophy feeling optimistic about next year, but after the last few days the reality has crept back in. Had thought back in September that while we'd lost out in terms of our first 11, we'd strengthened as a squad, but that turned out to be extremely optimistic for one reason and another.

Clinton will be one of the rare cases where "... will be like a new signing" is actually accurate, though unfortunately that doesn't guarantee she'll actually play. The director of women's football is out and the temporary replacement has been in charge of the Foundation, which is largely concerned with the youth level. Ineos won't be able to leverage anything from Nice as they've not pushed their women's team beyond the second division.

So realistically - standing still next season is what we can hope for?

top1whoisman

Scout
Considering we don’t have a permanent appointment running the show, no-one negotiating contract renewals and we didn’t even know who our manager would be a couple of weeks ago, I think it’s fair to say not much thinking has gone on planning for the summer.

Expecting Earps and García to leave, Clinton possibly too.

We’ll sign a few players in the last week of the window to sit on the bench.

brian017

Earps, Garcia and Parris would be the 3rd catastrophic Summer in a row. We can’t build something if this is constantly happening.

top1whoisman

Scout
Season ended a week ago, football twitter is full of transfer rumours but haven’t seen anything regarding United. Oh well, there’s always early September.

jojojo

JoJoJoJoJoJoJo
Staff
Welcome to Manchester reception committee
Looks like Lucia is definitely leaving now.

Which brings us to some of the others whose contracts haven't yet been been renewed. A lot of gossip and rumours around but these are the stories I'm seeing this week:
Mary Earps - believed to be leaving
Katie Zelem - strong rumours she's leaving
Nikita Parris - believed to be leaving
Rachel Williams - no news
Melvine Malard - loan ends

Not at the end of their contracts, but doubts about their futures:
Hayley Ladd - not used in final & OT Chelsea match
Irene Guerrero - our mystery player

Thoughts, theories, rumours please!

Ubik

Zelem would be a shocker.

Demon Barber

Which brings us to some of the others whose contracts haven't yet been been renewed. A lot of gossip and rumours around but these are the stories I'm seeing this week:

Mt thoughts - the squad needs to be thinned down and better balanced. That said, I'd be extremely disappointed if there was a mass exodus. I get that players want more playing time, more money, European football etc. but I want good players to stay. Like many, I have paid a lot of money to follow our women and I think fans deserve something back - namely a serious effort to keep our best players and for the players themselves to show some gratitude and loyalty for our support.

Lightbringer

Irene out to mexico as well? At least we will get a transfer fee?

Last edited:

Vault Dweller

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020

Bloody hell. That would be terrible if they all left.

Universal61

So we sell somebody who could be a really good player for us, so Skinner will then sign more players who he actually will barely play in the team anyway. The people up high should be looking into the money he is wasting on players.
ineos are so wrapped up in the mens team that the womens team takes a back seat opting to give skinner another year to bore us to death with negative tactics and poor subs as well as preening himself what happened to best in class

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
ineos are so wrapped up in the mens team that the womens team takes a back seat opting to give skinner another year to bore us to death with negative tactics and poor subs as well as preening himself what happened to best in class
Does he already get stick off the fans, Rachel Williams had to stick up for him didn't she. It might not get easier.

top1whoisman

Scout
Does he already get stick off the fans, Rachel Williams had to stick up for him didn't she. It might not get easier.
It will definitely not get easier with how our squad building this summer is looking like. Although that’s more on the club than the manager, I can see the atmosphere around the team and results getting really bad really fast when the new season starts.

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
It will definitely not get easier with how our squad building this summer is looking like. Although that’s more on the club than the manager, I can see the atmosphere around the team and results getting really bad really fast when the new season starts.
:(

top1whoisman

Scout
Season ended a week ago, football twitter is full of transfer rumours but haven’t seen anything regarding United. Oh well, there’s always early September.
Three weeks later and we’re still in the same situation. Not one word about pre-season, let alone transfers or contract renewals. Guess it makes sense as we’ve got no-one above the manager sorting these things out.

Demon Barber

I can't say I remember watching her so I'm not quite sure how she would be used. She gets described as a striker but she's not a prolific goalscorer. I'm a definite don't know on this one!
... much like Skinner, I guess. And me.

Lyng

Three weeks later and we’re still in the same situation. Not one word about pre-season, let alone transfers or contract renewals. Guess it makes sense as we’ve got no-one above the manager sorting these things out.
Not surprising given Ineos history with Nice.